Doctor Who

Quiver

I've been listening to some of the Sixth Doctor ones, and the beginning of Whispers of Terror is hilarious. XD

Peri: You don't know where we are.

The Doctor: Of course I know. I know exactly where we are.

Peri: Oh, yeah?

The Doctor: Yeah. We're in the TARDIS.

Peri: That's not what I meant.

The Doctor: It's what you said. Where we are, you said. I did think it was a rather redundant question, even from you.

Edited by RippleGylf

I still haven't seen the Christmas special... but I've heard Chris Chibnall is taking over as showrunner. Which...

I am not sure how to feel about that. Because Chibnall's episodes of Who haven't been that grat (with the exception of the Power of Three), and his seasons of Torchwood were pretty awful.

On the other hand, I've heard good things abou Broadchurch? So... 

I still haven't seen the Christmas special... but I've heard Chris Chibnall is taking over as showrunner. Which...

I am not sure how to feel about that. Because Chibnall's episodes of Who haven't been that grat (with the exception of the Power of Three), and his seasons of Torchwood were pretty awful.

On the other hand, I've heard good things abou Broadchurch? So...

Yeah, I'm a bit unsure of the whole situation myself.

Yeah, I'm a bit unsure of the whole situation myself.

Eh, Pond Life and Power of 3 were okay it's likely a good idea for the show to cycle through more creative controls if it's going to have legs. If Chibnall is "eh" as a showrunner, at least that has the potential to accelerate the process. 

From what I understand of the process, the showrunner position gives so much power over plot, tone, and episode production that it might be unfair to judge Chibnall based on his episodes under RTD & Moffat (which were themselves very different). 

Surely, I enjoy Gattis' episodes over in Sherlock where he's a co-showrunner more than I enjoy his Who episodes, where he's just a writer. 

The real problem is that Moffat's run doesn't have its own Moffat. There's no established, stand-out writer from the last few seasons to become the heir-apparent as Moffat did. Gaiman wrote two good episodes and is very established, but he has no management/production pedigree/interest. Jamie Mathieson has written probably the best non-Moffat episodes of the last two seasons (Mummy on the Orient Express, Flatline, The Girl Who Died), but he's not nearly established enough to be anything other than a writer at this point in his career. 

So it was either going to be Gattis or someone primarily from another a show. 

It's just a shame to me that it wasn't Howard Overman, the showrunner of Misfits... or someone whose episodes/other shows I've liked at all. Broadchurch was a hell of a bore for me. Nearly as bad as the Fall as far as overdramatic, humorless British crime dramas go. 

Edited by Yados

Honestly, I've said before; I hope Moffat doesn't -leave- the show. He might have too much "cred" to be edited, but I think confining him to one episode a season wouldn't be a bad idea.

...but Who really does need to increase it's writing stable. As far as I know, the only new blood this year was the guy who wrote the Flood two-parter (which I actually liked) and the woman who wrote the Raven. Who has been losing big name writers like Moffat and Davies and not really replacing them.

...Well, I'm gonna go check the BBC submission guidelines and work on my Whoisode pitch. : P

Edited by Quiver

Honestly, I've said before; I hope Moffat doesn't -leave- the show. He might have too much "cred" to be edited, but I think confining him to one episode a season wouldn't be a bad idea.

given that he wrote "Heaven Sent" which is arguably the best episode they've done since the show was rebooted, they clearly should try to keep him around at least a little bit.

given that he wrote "Heaven Sent" which is arguably the best episode they've done since the show was rebooted, they clearly should try to keep him around at least a little bit.

They definitely should. Whether that actually happens or not...

Also I wrote TARDIS physics in circular Gallifreyan.

f8cd2e1ec55face9c2c4f4ee1c99e5b1.jpg

Edited by RippleGylf

My sister and I recently blew some money we'd been saving on the DVDs of the entire seasons 1-8! We've had our eye on this really good deal for a while ($90 for all eight seasons, which is less than $1 an episode), then finally went and did it after we heard that this year the possibility that Doctor Who will actually be taken off Netflix is almost certain because the BBC wants to open up a streaming thing in America or something.

We're really excited for the summer too, because we're going to catch my friend up on Doctor Who (she's only seen the first 3 seasons!). We're just going to have her over like every day and watch a couple episodes. :D

THEY'RE TAKING IT OFF NETFLIX.

THEY'RE TAKING DOCTOR WHO OFF NETFLIX AND HULU SOMEBODY TELL ME THIS IS SOME ELABORATE, CRUEL PRACTICAL JOKE

TOMORROW

FEBRUARY 1ST

THEY'RE TAKING IT OFF TOMORROW

Now you all will feel my pain.

(Last year, they took it off of Amazon Prime literally the day after my brother saw the second End of Time. Had to wait two months before he could see the Eleventh Hour. Many tears were shed that day.)

The thing is, this scare has happened around this time for the last 2-3 years, because the contract is a yearly one and it keeps expiring. But they usually do renew it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was back up soon. (Although apparently BBC wants to start their own streaming service in America...so then again maybe it won't.)

But yeah, this sort of thing is why we've been saving up to get them on DVD.

Not on your part. Downloading is, streaming isnt. Hosting the videos is illegal, you can watch until your eyes fall out.

not quite sure how true this is.  mind you it has never stopped me if I really wanted to watch something, but I do prefer to be 100% certain my source is on the up and up.