Influence on Sanderson character names?

Delightful

This is pretty random. But I started Eye of the World yesterday, and so far in the first chapter there's a minor character called Wit and another called Cenn. So I imagined Hoid and the guy from SA chapter one and then realised, wrong author, wrong series.

Is this intentional, or just some random subconscious thing?

No, It's intentional. Robert Jordan was actually the go-between between child genius Brandon Sanderson and the publisher. The WoT is actually part of the Cosmere, and Cenn is actually a Worldhopper along with Hoid.

No, It's intentional. Robert Jordan was actually the go-between between child genius Brandon Sanderson and the publisher. The WoT is actually part of the Cosmere, and Cenn is actually a Worldhopper along with Hoid.

Ah I thought so!

No one tell the not-yet-Sanderfans that the cosmere is actually bordering on 40-something books now..... ;)

Edited by Delightful

Wasing at the chapter two.....wasing the liking of the so far, but wasing slighly confused at many of the naming of minor characters. Wasing the prologue of the awesome. (And am I of the righting in thinking Rand wasing of the dragon reborn? or something?)

I find it quite amusing actually, that most people discovered Brandon through WoT, meanwhile I've just discovered WoT through Brandon.

I'm sure I remember seeing a WoB somewhere that Brandon used the name Cenn and didn't realize until later than he "borrowed" it from Jordan...

Anyway... piece of advice, stick with it. I am not a fan of Eye of the World but, to give the series it's dues... the second and third books are a significant improvement.

Naaaaawwwwwhhhhhhhhh, Rand is just the son of a Pixy who offended the Dark One.

I honestly like Eye of the World quite a bit, but it is kind of typical fantasy book one. After that WoT starts to define itself as something unique.

Naaaaawwwwwhhhhhhhhh, Rand is just the son of a Pixy who offended the Dark One.

I just had this mental image of a bright green tiny tinkerbell scolding a massive dark Cloud of Evil.... :D

I'm sure I remember seeing a WoB somewhere that Brandon used the name Cenn and didn't realize until later than he "borrowed" it from Jordan...

So does Cenn ever become more than a minor character?

In non-spoilery 25 words or less, what's so unique about WoT? If that's a possible question to answer?

Edited by Delightful

I just had this mental image of a bright green tiny tinkerbell scolding a massive dark Cloud of Evil.... :D

I think that you just guessed the ending to Stormlight Archive.

"I am intelligent and articulate, Mr Odium, and you shall go back to Yolen right now with no supper!"

"And I know what SACRCASM IS!!!!!!!"

That was seriously the most terrifying I have read that Brandon has written :)

Wait, was that Pattern or Syl?

I think that you just guessed the ending to Stormlight Archive.

"I am intelligent and articulate, Mr Odium, and you shall go back to Yolen right now with no supper!"

:D.

Oh yes. I see this. I see this.

"If the Cosmere were a fairy tale"

Edited by Delightful

Like quiver said the first book isnt great. Neither are the middle ones. That is about the time he was dying of cancer. It gets way better at the end. I personally really like books 3 4 and 5 that might be because you learn a lot about mat.

In the middle of the series it gets really complicated. I was glad i waited until ninth grade to read them instead of reading all of them in seventh grade.

I hope you enjoy the series.

Does anyone know how long it took them to read through the entire series? I read straight through and it took me about 7 months.

well, book one has a few cliches, but the series get its own identity later. I'm not a great expert in fantasy, but I doubt anyone ever did a plot so complex with so many characters interacting. and as far as I know, it was the first time someone tried to write a 14-book single story. there  were some other long fantasy sagas, but they were structured so that any book was mostly a complete story by itself, with  a definite beginning and ending, that could be read separately from the rest. in wot, the middle or later books make absolutely no sense if read without the ones before.

As for names, there are some two thousands and spare named characters in the wot (mmost are innkeepers who are seen only once, but still). So it's not all that unlikely that a different book may use some of the same names. there are only so many meaningful ways you can mix letters, unless you want to call people Xwytkl (hey, that actually sounds a taylen name!). On the other hand, since brandon was a fan of jordan and wot was what inspired him to become a writer, then it would make sense that he would recicle some names or something else as a sort of tribute.

• 7 months later...

On the other hand, since brandon was a fan of jordan and wot was what inspired him to become a writer, then it would make sense that he would recicle some names or something else as a sort of tribute.

And with him being such a huge fan a lot of them might have been sub-conscious.  

I haven't read them, (I have eye of the world on hold at the library) but others have said that Eye of the World seems so cliche because it influenced everything else that you've already read.

MMy knowledge of fantasy is fairly narrow, and mostly restricted to the work of jordan and sanderson, because every time i tried something different I didn't like it, so I can't say for sure, but it is certainy likely. Tolkien feels dreadfully clichè to many modern readers because he's the guy who invented all those ideas and so many people aped him, so it is likely that a measure of it applied to jordan too. maybe 50 years from now people will find sanderson clichè because others have used his ideas...

Now I am picturing the starting scene in twok with cenn buie in place of the young soldier, cursing the shardbearer with a crowd of congars and coplins behind him :o

One name I thought was from Wheel of Time, but turns out isn't, is Thaidakar. When I saw that name in WoK, I really thought I recognised it from somewhere, and for some reason, my mind connected it to Wheel of Time.

Even to this day, I still occasionally Google Thaidakar to try to find the connection between WoK and WoT (excluding Brandon taking over the series).

Alas, I am limited to upvoting your response only once. Thank you for this peace of mind, lol.

I guess that yes, this is what I was thinking of whenever I saw that name.

Still, Thaidakar seems to be a pretty long and ostentatious name for the Stormlight Archive. I wonder if this was another name where Sanderson was influenced by the Wheel of Time.