Quick Fix Game 2: Crushthroat's Beginnings

Here's the Problem. I'm getting killed tonight. Or maybe Luka. Any way, here's How I see things:

Possibility A: Riingar and Luka are the only two Mutineers. They knew they couldn't get a majority vote, even with their Grapple. Riingar has the Buckler. We Lynch him and Fail, He kills me tonight.

Possibility B: There are 3 Mutineers, Luka is not one of them. Riingar is still atrracting our Lynch, so he has the Buckler/is a gunner. In this case, Jaelre is also a Mutineer. I can't decide if Hreo or New one is the other Mutineer.

Possibility C: Riingar, Luka and Jaelre are the Mutineers. Instead of winning by Lynching The Captain, they want a perfect game. Killing all of the Loyal crew without losing a man. They kill me tonight, and the other two follow.

Possibility 4: Riingar and New One and a Third are the Mutineers, but Luka is not. They can't get a popular vote today, but will tomorrow. They'll kill me today, and lynch the captain tomorrow, now that Luka's low on Coinage.

Of those, I Think B is the most probable. Thus, I retract my Vote for Riingar, and vote for Jaelre. Luka, please do the same, and Grapple Hreo. That will stop him from making a kill tomorrow (If it's him) and cancel his vote today.

EDIT: Others can change as well.

Edited by The Only Joe

Every time I think about our chances of winning, I die a little inside. So I do something else for a bit, then realize how little time is left.

Possibility C: Riingar, Luka and Jaelre are the Mutineers. Instead of winning by Lynching The Captain, they want a perfect game. Killing all of the Loyal crew without losing a man. They kill me tonight, and the other two follow.

I would be really annoyed if the Mutineers did something like this. It’s just cruel to drag the game out without admitting it if they’ve already won.

Here’s the thing about trying to change our votes now. We need all of the loyal players to change to the same person if we want to succeed. It can’t just be two people. Otherwise, the Mutineers could take advantage of the split vote and make last-minute votes for the captain. And if it turns out that Jatae is loyal, then changing who we lynch is impossible because I don’t think he’ll be back on this cycle. We need feedback from Riitii and Hreo if we want to try anything. Otherwise we need to just stick with the vote for Riingar.

I have no idea who the best target for the hook is. Assuming the Mutineer kill cycles around, if there’s only two Mutineers left, then it can’t be Hreo’s turn, but there’s probably three Mutineers anyway, and I don’t even know if the Mutineer kill cycles around in an order. If Hreo is one of three Mutineers, then using the grappling hook on him now probably gives a 1 in 2 chance of stopping the kill. If he’s not a Mutineer, then it probably gives us less of a chance of getting the grappling hook back, if that even matters. I wish the grappling hook had been used more often so we could have more information about who is next in the kill cycle.

When I posted that, I had hoped that more poeple would get on before then.

People. In case they kill me, Last request. Luka is innocent. If she has the hook as she claims, then she can't be a Mutineer, Unless, she and Riingar are the only two. Either way, at this point, I've settled. Judging from what everyone was saying after Riingar did his Evil Monolougue, Jaelre is Innocent as well. He tried to figure out who had the Grappling Hook. Team Evil wouldn't need to know who had it. They just knew they didn't have it. Hreo has also tried to get everyone discussing, Lynch him last. The Mutineers are Riingar and New One, if there's two, and if there's a third, it's Hreo. New one hasn't even tried to help since Riingar announced his loyalties.

How is Meta going to RP the captain learning that Riingar is evil, but him not dying?

EDIT: Right, Retracting my vote from Jaelre, voting for New One

Edited by The Only Joe

I have to agree with Luka. Changing votes at this point in the game isn't going to work. We would need everybody (who is good) online to have a chance, and right now I'm only seeing me and Jeno.

Thanks for your vote of confidence Jeno, I think, but why are you advocating that you lynch me last if you also suspect me as the third mutineer? Honestly your reasoning doesn't make much sense to me.

I was about to say that, based on today's activity, RiiKIAI and/or Jatae are the other mutineers. After Jeno's post though it just sounds like he's trying to muddy the water and confuse us, so now I'm not so sure.

Luka- I'm not a mutineer. Really really. As for which of the other three (Rye-eye, Jeno, or Jatae) is the best one to target, I don't know. Good luck.  :wacko:

Edited for clarification

Edited by Herowannabe

On 7/15/2014 at 4:51 PM, The Only Joe said:

How is Meta going to RP the captain learning that Riingar is evil, but him not dying?

Oh ye of little faith! ;)

Week 10- Blood Money

Luka had joined the Crew mainly for the promise of coin and adventure. She sure did seem to be getting her fill of both! Being Quartermaster had its benefits, the main one being that people would throw money at her if she just looked the other way for a few minutes. She hadn’t thought anything of it at first, but then the killing began.

Oh, what fun! She thought in those early days. Pirating and a murder mystery all rolled into one!

Sometimes she couldn’t believe how naive she had been. As the days turned into weeks and the weeks into months and the killings never stopped, Luka started to get more and more worried. What if the killings never stopped? When were they finally going to come for her?

That’s why she decided that, while farming was far too boring, pirating was just a bit too dangerous. That’s why she had packed up all of her belongings and all of the coin she had amassed (it would foolish to just leave it here after all) and enough hardtack and water to last for days. She was planning on making a run for it.

In the middle of the night, she started loading one of the Dinghies full of her stuff. The person who was supposed to be on guard duty was a little tied up with a Grappling Hook at the moment. It took multiple loads for the coins alone, but eventually she was ready.

She lowered the boat down as silently as possible. Then she turned around to say goodbye to the ship that she had called home for the last few months. As she looked over the deck, she almost had a change of heart. Her hand was on the rope, ready to pull the Dinghy back up when she shook her head. No. Things were too deadly. If she even waited another day, it could be her that was dead next! Better to leave while she still could.

She turned back to climb over the railing and down into the Dinghy when she heard the thump of someone hitting the deck behind her. Before she could react, hands reached out and clamped one hand over her mouth and the other held a knife to her throat.

“Leaving so soon?” A voice said in her ear. “Fine then, enjoy your blood money.”

The person holding her slit her throat and then pushed her over the railing. She landed in the Dinghy, shattering open the bags of coins. The figure cut the Dinghy loose and let her bleed out all over the coins as the ship sailed on without her.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Crew had been out at sea for over two months at this point, with Mutineers stalking their footsteps the entire way. Their nerves were shot. They had seen far too many of their number either killed or driven mad. That’s why, 4 days since Wyrm and Jain went for their last dip, when Riingar spoke up, some of the Crew actually started to listen…

“This be what we all signed up fer? Ta be killed off, one by one? I tell ye, Paan be right! The Capt’n be soft if’n he be unable ta take care of these Mutineers! Aye, I be one of ‘em, an I did me best to avenge Paan, but it still be the Capt’n’s fault fer letting us!’
‘I used ta be a Capt’n meself, so ye know I know what I’m ‘bout. tell ye what, join with us an once we be rid of the Capt’n, I’ll make sure the rest of ye arr well taken care of!”

While half the Crew seemed to be contemplating Riingar’s words, not all of them were, so it wasn’t a huge surprise when Riingar found himself surrounded by those that were still loyal to the Captain.

Riingar smiled as a rope dropped into the middle of the circle he was standing in. “I see some of ye still not be liking survivin’. That be okay. Me and me mateys will help ye out with that.”

With that, he grabbed the rope and shot up into the rigging, but not before some of the loyal Crew drew their weapons and slashed up his legs. Riingar cried out was he dragged out of sight.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Crew burst into Kiin’s quarters. “Captain! We found one! We found one of the Mutineers!”

Kiin sat upright in his chair. “Really? How?”

“Ummm, well, ye see… he kind of told us….”

“And where is he now?”

“.... That be the other thing, Captain. He got away.”

“He got away? He got away?!?” Kiin went from puzzled to angery in a split second. “Well find him! Bring him in! We’re in the middle of the bloody ocean, for pete’s sake! It’s not like he can go far! I want the entire ship searched from top to bottom!”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Week 9 ends and Week 10 Begins! 24 hour, as per usual.

Riingar survived!
Luka just wanted adventure, not to be killed by Mutineers. She was a good and loyal Quartermaster .

The Quartermaster has been killed! That means the vault is open for raiding! You can now buy items for their purchase price and they don’t disappear at the end of the cycle!

Votes
Riingar- lll (Hreo, Jatae, Luka, Riittidiikiir)
Rittidiikiir- l (Jeno)
Captain Crushthroat- l (Riingar)

Edited by Alvron

As the crew ran out of the Captain's quarters to search the ship, Kiin turned back to his chair, leaning against it. He sighed deeply. "How could it have come to this?" he muttered.

Behind him he heard a scraping sound. He whirled around, snatching his axe up from where it leaned against his chair. Apparently, not all of the crew had left. Hreo stood by the closed door, which he had barred shut with a grappling hook.

"Hreo!?" Kiin barked, "You worthless cur! What in Domi's name are you doing in here? Get out there and find those mutinous dogs!"

For the first time in his life, Hreo didn't jump to obey his Captain's orders. Instead, he spoke. "You know, from the day I joined this crew I've been tormented, mocked, scorned, laughed at, and ridiculed. I've been the brunt of so many jokes I've lost count. And all this time I could never discover which members of the crew were behind them. But I finally figured it out. It was you, Captain. All of it- the itch beetles, the Upchuck powder, the bloody hand- everything! It was always you! But now-"

Hreo's cutlass rasped as he drew it from his belt. Hreo wasn't as big as the Captain, but he knew how to handle himself in a fight. And besides, his companions would be joining him soon. 

"- This time the joke is on you, Captain Crushthroat."

Jatae thumped the cabin's door heavily, but it appeared it had been locked from the inside. Sounds of a fight seemed to be coming from inside. He put down the tray he was carrying, thumped again, and yelled angrily "Come out Captain Crushthroat, everyone has a right to a last meal!"

He tried forcing the door, but he simply bounced back bruised.

"Who would ever be mad enough to lock himself in with the captain... " he muttered.

Well, we're screwed.  I'm pretty sure they have the grappling hook, because I lost the bid on it.  But just in case one of us got it, I vote Riingar

Jeno, Luka, did either of you manage to buy anything? 

Edited by New One

Big surprise: I’m lynching Captain Crushthroat.  And since we’ve already got the majority and the grappling hook, you should too!

Riingar crashed through the side window of the Captain’s quarters, letting go of the rope that he had used to swing down from the crow’s nest.  He landed in a crouch, his right, peg-legged foot forward.  After the crew tried to kill him last night, Riingar had been forced to replace his scarred leg with a large wooden dowel.  Plus, he always wanted a peg-leg.  All the cool pirates had one.

“Ye want’d ta find me, cap’n?” Riingar asked with a sneer.  “Well here I be!  Th’ rest o’ yer loyal crew did a good job o’ tryin’ ta get me, but I’ve dealt with mutineers b’fore in me days as a cap’n.  So I’ve learned how ta think like one.”  Riingar grabbed a hidden dagger from his sleeve and fell into place next to Hreo.  Suddenly, several loud knocks came from the door, which was grappled shut.  Riingar frowned, turning and looking through a knothole in the door.  Jatae stood on the other side.  Riingar released the grappling hook from the door and opened it, allowing Jatae to barrel in, holding a metal tray.

“Arr,” sighed Riingar.  “I thought I told ye th’ door would be locked.”

The captain hefted his axe uneasily, staring at the three mutineers with an emotion that was a cross between utter surprise and outright fury.  “Oh, you think this will end any differently than it did with Paan?  Just because there’s three of you, you think that will make the outcome any better?”  Kiin lowered his axe, pointing it towards the mutineers.  “I’ve had far more experience with fighting and battling than any of you scallywags.  Especially you.”  Kiin pointed the axe at Jatae, making him blink.  “So I’ll give you this one last chance to walk away.  Otherwise, you’re fish food.”

Riingar growled at the captain.  The man he hated more than anyone else in the world.  “I been a cap’n b’fore, Crushy.  An’ I will b’come one again.  Don’ get a big head jus’ cause ye kill’d Paan.  Just ‘cause ye got yer fancy axe don’ mean yer a match fer us.  An’ we be willin’ ta risk our lives ta kill ye, Crushy.  So are we goin’ ta have ta kill ye th’ easy way, orrr th’ hard way?”

“You will never defeat me, scum,” Kiin snarled.  “I am disgusted to even think about what you would do to this crew if you were to take over.  But I’m not going to lay down my arms and go out like a coward.  So I accept your challenge, scallywags.  This will be a fight to the death.”

Riingar shrugged, grinning.  “If ye say so, Crushy.  An’ by th’ way, thanks fer all th’ loot ye’ve giv’n us as motivation.  Now I be takin’ charge as a wealthy cap’n!  Anyway, Hreo, take ‘im down.”

Hreo aimed his grappling hook at Kiin.

Ooh, cliffhanger!  I guess you’ll just have to wait for the write-up to see how this ends up.

Edited by Renegade

I have the grappling hook today. I got it bargain-priced at 20 coins. :D So yeah, Meta, I think you can safely do the final write up whenever you're ready.

Good game everyone! I had a blast. I hope you can forgive me for all my blatant lies, but I suspect that the next game I play I'll see some retaliation. :)

I have to nominate Luka for the "I told you so!" Award. She saw through all my lies (except the last one) and nobody really listened to her the whole game. Luka, for what it's worth, I killed you that last round out of respect. You were truly a worthy adversary.

I also want to nominate RiiSpiiWithMiiLittleii for the "honorary mutineer" award. His chart was the perfect tool for us to use to manipulate everyone. My favorite was on week 3 I think it was, when Jatae, Riingar, and myself were all in his top 5 most trusted players on his chart. :D Thanks RiiRiiPantsOnFii!

Jeno carefully pulled up the Dingy with Luka's Body. All the supplies in it were well organized and still Surviveable. The only problem was Luka. She would be given a burial at sea later. This crew, With only 5 of them left, and the Captain being killed, The ship would be nearly unrunnable. The AonTeo was through. He was heading off to resume his life as a lone Bargemen. He couldn't go back to Duladel, but Wrym had told him lots of good things about Fjorden. He would try his luck there.

As he finished his Preparations, Riittidiikiir, walked past morosely. It would be a shame to let him die like this. "Hey, Tie-dye. Want to come away? Dreok is done for. I'm heading out while I still can. I have room for another."

Rii paused. "Um..."

Yes, I'm voting for the Captain, In exchange, I want Safe passage for Me and New One if he decides to join me. This is my only character to ever Survive to the end. New one, Want to restart your Life in Fjorden?

Aftermath- A Time Honored Tradition

The grappling hook flew straight and true, but Kiin wasn’t Captain for no reason. For as big of a man as he was, he deftly dodged out of the way, while slicing the rope attached to the hook; removing it from the battle. Kiin had been in enough fights by now that he knew that he needed to limit what they could bring against him, especially against multiple opponents. That was rule number 1.

Rule number 2 was to try to keep any advantage he had and right now, his biggest advantage was surprise. So he leapt over his desk and charged Riingar. With Jatae standing in the middle, it would take Hreo some time to be able to move into an attackable position. Not much time, but hopefully enough.

Riingar gulped audibly when he realized that he had brought a dagger to an axe fight. Luckily, Jatae quickly moved between them and he used the metal tray he was carrying as a shield, blocking Kiin’s swing as Riingar dived behind Jatae.

Hreo, as predicted circled around, trying to get at an angle where he could take a stab at Kiin. Kiin used the bounce of his axe off the shield to keep up the momentum and spun 270° to try to catch Hreo in the side.

Hreo caught the axe on his blade just in time, while Jatae rammed Kiin with his shield, throwing him off balance and away from the trio.

The two groups paused briefly, as they recovered from the trade of blows. Kiin had to reevaluate his opponents. They worked well together; protecting each other and covering for each other’s weaknesses. Plus, with the element of surprise now gone, this was not going to be an easy fight. Still, Kiin wasn’t the type of person to back down. Even when his brother had taken his throne out from under him, he hadn’t just sulked off. No, Kiin wasn’t one for defending. So he squared his shoulders, preparing for his next attack…

The Crew could hear the clash of weapons and the cries of battle coming from the Captain’s quarters. A few of the more intrepid crewmembers edged closer to the door to see if they could figure anything more out.

It was a bad move on their part, as they suddenly heard a primal roar and the door shattered outward, followed closely by the bodies of Riingar, Hreo, and Jatae. Part of the Captain’s desk came next, along with the Captain himself, holding the piece of desk like a battering ram.

Kiin threw the desk aside and pulled back out his axe when what he saw around him made him pause. As Riingar, Hreo, and Jatae, all of them covered in cuts and bruises slowly and awkwardly stood back up, Kiin now found himself facing off against the rest of the Crew. Those that had remained loyal to him were tied to the mast and they had daggers at their throats.

“Ye see?” Riingar croaked. “Ye’ve lost, Crushy. Do ye still hav the dignity ta admit defeat?”

Kiin looked over the Crew, but he found no compassion there except in the eyes of those who had remained loyal to him. Heartbroken, Kiin’s head drooped and his shoulders slumped. He let his axe slip from his fingers.

“Right,” Riingar said as Hreo and Jatae tied Kiin up. “Take the lot of ‘em ta the brig.”

It had been days since Kiin had been locked up. He had watched as, one by one, the rest of his loyal crew were taken above deck. They never told him what happened to them.

Finally, it seemed it was his turn.

Kiin blinked wildly as he was momentarily blinded by the first rays of sunshine that his eyes had seen in days. When his vision returned, he saw that they were anchored offshore of a tiny island with the crew surrounding him.

They shoved him over to the railing, where there was a plank jutting out from the ship. Then they cut his bonds and gingerly handed him a single dagger.

“We won’t be the ones to kill you,” Hreo stated. “Even after everything, we won’t treat you the same way you treated Paan. So you get a choice. You can either attack all of us and then we’ll be forced to kill you, or you can take your chances surviving on that little speck of land.”

Kiin spat. “It ain’t much choice either way. Ye’ll still see me dead one way or the other.”

At that point, Jatae and Riingar walked up beside Hreo. Jatae had Kiin’s axe in hand, resting on one shoulder. When Jatae saw Kiin eyeing the axe longingly, he brought it down to hold it in front of him.

“It’s a fine weapon,” he said with a grin. “Hope ye don’t mind me holding onto it; not that ye get much say in the matter.”

“Off with ye,” Riingar said. “We’ve got serious piratin’ ta be ‘bout. Ye gave us a few good years, Capt’n. In return, we give ye yer life… at least fer a little while longer.”

The crew started to edge in on Kiin, weapons drawn and forced Kiin out onto the plank. Kiin looked out into the clear blue waters, contemplating, before turning back to the crew. He thrust out his hand that held the dagger, pointing it directly at Jatae. He was shaking ever so slightly from his barely controlled rage.

“Ye best be prepared. I be coming back for me Axe.”

Then he dived off the AonTeo and started swimming towards the shore.

Kiin reached the beach without any problems. He had always been a strong swimmer.

As he watched the AonTeo sail out of sight, he thought about the last few months and he came to a surprising conclusion; they had been right. He had been growing soft. He felt like he was becoming tamed and docile. Heck, almost civilized even! He had once been a prince and a merchant and he had let it creep back into him. No wonder the crew had mutinied!

Well he wouldn’t make that mistake again. Once he got off this forsaken bit of land, he’d get himself a new crew, a new boat, and he’d take back what was his. No more trusting. He’d earn the nickname they had given him a thousand times over, until he was the most feared pirate in the world!

“Never again,” he whispered to himself as he gripped the dagger by the blade with one hand. His blood dripped down to stain the white sand at his feet.  The pain and the scar this would provide would be a constant reminder of this time for him. “Never again….”

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

And that’s the end of Quick Fix 2! The Mutineers win! Congratulations!

Master Doc (All the write ups in one place)
Spreadsheet (Who did what during each week)
The Locker (Where the spirits of dead sailors reside)
Messages in the Night (All of the Mutineer messages in one place)

GM Notes:
Sorry, couldn’t let you just kill Kiin! This takes place before Elantris, so for it to work canonically, he had to survive! I did try to make it so you guys were the reason he really became the most famous pirate on Sel!

I thought this worked out pretty well overall, but I have noticed a trend with games I run; the evil faction has won every time! I’m going to work with the idea that my games are on hardcore mode here. ;)

If you have any questions about how I decided on some of the rules, I’ll be happy to explain my logic behind them.
Other than that, I hope you all had fun (as I did in running it) and feel free to discuss the game and such! :)

Edited by Alvron

Yes, good game all!

One last confession: as you can see I lied about having the grappling hook on week 2. Jatae had it, but because of the mutineer rotation I hadn't had a PM from him yet, so I didn't know his plans. Later in the game, I thought it would be fun to sew some more misdirection and confusion, so I came up with the story about me getting the grappling hook and using it the way I did. Again, Luka saw straight through me, but no one really seemed to listen to her.

Most of my other claims (such as being a gunner) were true. A few of my posts I said things like "if I were a mutineer, I would..." and then I said exactly what we were doing. I tried to mix in as much truth with my lies as I could so that if I ever got lynched it would be hard to get any good information from my previous posts.

Thanks for GMing, Meta, it was fun!

Sadly, I could have helped win the game for the good guys. I'll explain why.

There was a reason for my exceptionally erratic play style. I wanted to get myself lynched twice. The first time I got lynched, it was the usual bunch of suspicious people and such. The second time, however, was most certainly not. When the game reached Day 4 +, you may have noticed my erraticness went up a notch. While I was sort of proved harmless and innocent, people still went for me. Wyrm proposed excellent arguments in my defence for my erraticness, yet people still voted me for my erraticness. In fact, if you look at my second "vote list", the Mutineers lined themselves up quite nicely to lynch me. Such determinedness in lynching an "erratic" player... 

I later posted a "troll" post, in hopes of drawing out more Mutineers to vote me. That didn't work.

Before I was lynched, I planned to post a message to tell people to cross check the people who voted me. If you had done that, you would have caught Jaelre and maybe Hreo. Sadly, I was taken away before I could write it up. When I got back, Jain was thrashing in a sea of pandas.

That was pretty much my plan from the start. Use my lives and erraticness to draw out the Mutineers.

I had Riingar and Jatae in my sights on that last day, but Hreo almost completely avoided my sights. Well played, guys. I'm annoyed you killed me that cycle though; not because I died, but because I was going to win a Buckler with the minimum bid of 2 coins...

I liked the touch of sentimentality in your last RP, Joe. It was a nice touch.

With regards to your gambit, Jain, you played it far too late to be of help, I think - The problem was that not only did the Mutineers get someone to easily pile votes on, but some of the Crew thought that you were being serious too and did the same. At that point in the game, we needed to consolidate those votes, rather than split them up. If that hadn't happened, and we'd gotten that train on Riingar, he'd be dead and it would still be 3:2 crew to mutineer. It would probably have still not gotten to a victory for us though, due to their extra lives, but it would have really come down to the wire, possibly with there being just one player left at the end of it.

The crew definitely underestimated the power of the Hook, and we should have bid on it more to stop the Mutineers getting it. I'm not sure about Gambling though - It seems that the gamble was not the dice roll, but whether anyone else did it. I said to Meta early on that you had to think of it in game theory terms, about whether anyone else would play, and it seems that not many people did. As always, it would be interesting to see how the game would change a second time around.

Great game played on everybody's part, I want to say. Even though the Mutineers did an excellent job at staying undetected, there was a lot of in-thread discussion due to the lack of PMs, and it seems that the Mutineers performed exceptionally well with their limited communication. Gamut, or any other pirate-themed avatars I create would really have enjoyed playing this game, as it took people away from the relying on roles and Trust Groups to make the decisions and get the information. The original flavor  of the Mafia game is immediate, constant discussion, with severely limited secret coordination, even on the Mafia team's behalf.

All in all, this was a very enjoyable game, and once again, great job, everybody! All of your RP and everything was very enjoyable to watch!