It's a very interesting teaser isn't it?

I half expect them to go through the mirror and befriend Sunset as well.

I just love the sheer adorkableness of Starlight's reaction. Over-enthused and excited Starlight Glimmer is great.

"Newbie Dash" spoilers.

What really interests me, made most obvious in the party scene in Rainbow's cloud house, is that Twilight's started to incorporate flight into her standard mannerisms. When Rainbow is on the stairs, Twilight casually flies up to her level while leaning on a rail. This is something Dash and other pegasi characters tend to do naturally, but most of the time it feels like Twi has still been left with all four hooves on the ground.

This is a really subtle, but still great, piece of character development. While her wings were still uncomfortable and alien to her in Equestria Girls, she's adjusted to them to the point of unconsciously utilizing them in her daily movements.

It reflects that over time Twilight has come to fully embrace her altered physiology. It may even be that she no longer thinks of herself as a unicorn at all, but as the alicorn she has become.

...am I forgetting something?

Oh yeah.

Scootaloo was in this episode too!

Finally got around to watching Newbie Dash, thoughts below.

This is it, isn't it? This is the Show's final season. All the long term goals of the cast are being completed, one by one. The Cutie Mark Crusaders got their Marks, Twilight got her own Student, and now, Rainbow Dash is a Wonderbolt.

There's not much they can do from here, except pass the show on to a new generation. The Mane Six are becoming unflawed characters, which aren't fun to watch. I love them right now, but they've grown enough that I'm ready to see them become support characters.

As for the actual episode, seriously WB's, every episode you're in makes me hate you a little bit more.

This is it, isn't it? This is the Show's final season. All the long term goals of the cast are being completed, one by one. The Cutie Mark Crusaders got their Marks, Twilight got her own Student, and now, Rainbow Dash is a Wonderbolt.

There's not much they can do from here, except pass the show on to a new generation. The Mane Six are becoming unflawed characters, which aren't fun to watch. I love them right now, but they've grown enough that I'm ready to see them become support characters.

As for the actual episode, seriously WB's, every episode you're in makes me hate you a little bit more.

Interesting observation about the Mane 6 becoming less flawed. This perhaps partially explains why I like Starlight Glimmer as much as I do; while adding a new character to an established roster is rarely successful, her episodes thus far have been my favorites of the season. As a character she is still highly flawed in the same entertaining way Twilight Sparkle once was (Lesson Zero, anyone?), making her continued struggles in learning the art of friendship both fun and rewarding to watch.

That makes a lot of sense. But I really don't want it to end...

Anyone know any good Soarin x Dash(Sash? Dashin?) that they'd like to recommend?

Why do you want SoarinDash when the episode practically confirms RariDash?

...But, I'd say check out the Wonderverse. I haven't gotten around to reading that 'verse yet, but SoarinDash is the main ship in that series, so...

Also, finally saw Newbie Dash, as well as the Trixie episode.

I am happy.

So, a Hearth Warming's tail:

The story is just Dicken's A Christmas Carol, which is kind of boring. Knowing everything that happens is a killjoy. However it is eerily similair to Starlight's story. Which was kind of cool. I'm choosing to take this episode as entirely cannon, including Luna's bit. Luna, acting under orders or suggestions from the Elements of Honesty and Laughter, actually did visit a unicorn, who could delete a day.

So I don't like the story itself, but I like the implications.

Also the music! I'm listening to Luna's song and Starlight's song on repeat. Applejack and the intro song were also cool. Pinkie's was kind of eh.

Y'know... I dunno how to judge this episode in terms of quality. It was a musical, so that rather puts it otuside conventional good/bad discussion, though I think it holds up well compared to the other musical episodes this show has done.

...Snowfall's song was definitely a highlight though. Luna's was pretty good - it had  avery grand, epic feeling to it- but Snowfall's... yeah. That was great. 

Starlight Glimmer get's all the best song.

Hey, it's been so cold and wet where we live that the Hearth's Warming ep fit right in.  We still have our heat on. :(

My husband is a huge Dash fan, and he was so, so tickled by her episode.  I basically can't dislike any of the musical episodes, and I really love that we have a pony adaptation of The Christmas Carol now.  

I have to agree that all of Starlight Glimmer's episodes have just been awesome.

Anyone going to BronyCon?

My convention schedule is, alas, way too full for this madness.

(We actually have Midwest Brony Fest here in KC over Memorial Day weekend.  But I cannot go, as ConQuesT is the same weekend and I'm sorta staff on that con.)

Hey, it's been so cold and wet where we live that the Hearth's Warming ep fit right in. We still have our heat on. :(

My husband is a huge Dash fan, and he was so, so tickled by her episode. I basically can't dislike any of the musical episodes, and I really love that we have a pony adaptation of The Christmas Carol now.

I have to agree that all of Starlight Glimmer's episodes have just been awesome.

The UK has some kind of brony convention...

But even if I could stand large crowds (I can't), and had the money to go (I don't), I probably wouldn't. Besides the odd looks I'd get from my parents...well, I'm too shy for conventions.

Actually, since people are talking about music...

Anyone got any good brony music recommendations?

(And I'm absolutely not just putting a bunch of my favorite songs here as a shortcut to save me the effort of going to youtube, nope...)

For my money, Sylphstorm is one of the best musicians in the fandom; pretty much this whole playlist is awesome in one way or another. 

Aviators is another good one, who also happens to do more than just brony music.

I haven't heard much of Psychgoth's stuff, but Spirit of Fire is one of my favorite and most listened to songs... super ridiculous 80's Top Gun Wonderbolt theme? Yes please!

And, if you want to listen to a two-some hour long album - because obviously, why not?- there's always Destiny: A Tale of Unicorn Wings on bandcamp.

Edited by Quiver

Kaymyth, sounds like you have an ambitious Con schedule!  BronyCon will only be the third I've ever gone to.  We're quiet geeks, but I'm really excited. :D Have fun next weekend!

Quiver, thanks for sharing the fandom music!  I really liked Spirit of Fire particularly.  Can't say I've delved too much into it, but I'm really looking forward to the room that will be constant fandom music. :)

Kaymyth, sounds like you have an ambitious Con schedule!  BronyCon will only be the third I've ever gone to.  We're quiet geeks, but I'm really excited. :D Have fun next weekend!

Quiver, thanks for sharing the fandom music!  I really liked Spirit of Fire particularly.  Can't say I've delved too much into it, but I'm really looking forward to the room that will be constant fandom music. :)

It has been a bit mad so far this year.  I kicked off March by working Access Control at Naka-Con, then attended JordanCon in April.  Two weeks after that one, I went to Costume-Con, and three weeks after that is ConQuesT.

I'm going to at least have 2 1/2 months' break before WorldCon hits.

...I am le tired.

So... after seeing the newest episode, I have a headcanon:

Rainbow Dash is a parrot.

More specifically, my headcanon is that she has a griffon ancestor, and that said Griffon had the plumage, colouration and general attitude of a parrot. It explains the rainbow mane, which seems to be a fixture of her family exclusively,and why Rainbow, apparently, has a penchant for imitating other ponies.

Seriously, between the last few episodes, and the Griffonstone ep last year, Rainbow seems to be developing a habit of imitating other ponies.

...Also, more music? I know Lullaby for a Princess is popular -for very good reason- but... I think I prefer this one. Possibly because it feels moe like a "legite" song inspired by MLP, rather than a specifically MLP song...?

I dunno. But, I like it, so. Here.

Also, Aviators!

I get that the song is about Luna being contrite and wanting to make up for what she's done... but everytime I hear these lyrics, I interpret it as Nightmare Moon lying and trying to convince Celestia that "I'm totally okay now, so you can, like, let me come home now, right?" There's just a lot of tonal shifts in it that make me think of it as an act, rather than a legitimate reform (especially the "You'll never know the hell I've been through," line, which seems built to inspire guilt, rather than express contriteness for her actions).

And... this is the kind of song that makes me call Celestia Best Princess.

She get's hit, knocked down, losses everything, over and over... and gets right back up and does it all over again. It makes her a hard character to write, sure... but I also find it makes her fascinating. Celestia is basically the Superman of MLP... so no wonder everyone prefers Batman Luna. 

Plus, the chorus is awesome. 

And one more cause, hey, if I'm gonna put my play list here, might as well go all in...

Any Fallout:Equestria fans?

Edited by Quiver

Me! Read the book three times, and currently a third of the way through Project Horizons.

Me too! Silverblade actually linked me to it. I haven't got to Horizons yet, though

I admit, I haven't read any of the recursive fiction yet. :ph34r:

I found rules for a Fallout:Equestria RPG which I've been wanting to play with, but that's it. I do have an idea or two for FO:E fics I want to write, but... never quite gotten around to it. Is Horizons any good?

I admit, I haven't read any of the recursive fiction yet. :ph34r:

I found rules for a Fallout:Equestria RPG which I've been wanting to play with, but that's it. I do have an idea or two for FO:E fics I want to write, but... never quite gotten around to it. Is Horizons any good?

Yes. Here's a review of Horizons that compares it with the original.

Project Horizons, has made me sympathetic towards Snips and Snails.

Edited by Silverblade5

So, I was looking around on fimfiction, and found a rather uncommon portrayal of Lyra. Instead of portraying her as a caffeinated, human obsessed mare, she was portrayed as a serene, martial arts grandmaster who became curious about and respectful towards humans after first contact. I really like it.

So, I was looking around on fimfiction, and found a rather uncommon portrayal of Lyra. Instead of portraying her as a caffeinated, human obsessed mare, she was portrayed as a serene, martial arts grandmaster who became curious about and respectful towards humans after first contact. I really like it.

Never heard that one...link please?