All right, no one's brought up anything regarding last weekends Nightmare Night episode, possibly because you all saw it when it got leaked a month ago, but regardless, there was one special, completely uncommented on second of footage that I wanted to make sure everyone caught because of how awesome it was:

During the maze chase, did you guys catch Derpy dressed as Twilight? I thought it was hilarious.

Overall good episode, and I enjoyed myself. It feels like it's been forever since we've gotten a good Fluttershy episode.

At my brother's urging, I wrote a two thousand word story about earth ponies in the days before Equestria's founding, before the Hearth's Warming Eve pageant takes place.

I'm considering writing a sequel about the next generation, but I'll just post this here for now. :ph34r:

Spring was a time for warm sunlight and blooming flowers, but the winds seemed firmly opposed to the idea. The ice cold breeze almost seemed to howl as it sweeped through the hills, rushing through any ponies in its path and freezing them to the bone.

Dirt Poor hadn't been outside more than a few minutes, and he was already wishing his cloak had a few less holes in it. Everywhere the holey fabric showed his brown coat he could feel his warmth sucking away into the air, where it hardly did him any good.

Got to remember to haggle some more wool out of those worthless sheep, he thought bitterly, pulling his hood up. He spared a glance at the sky above before continuing his tread, though it told him little. The unicorns had put the sun exactly where it needed to be, and there was nothing blocking its rays. Why, then, was it cold enough to freeze the nipples off a minotaur?

"A little nippy, isn't it Pa?"

The understatement made Dirt Poor chuckle, as he turned to look at his son. Stiff Neck didn't have so much as a ragged cloak like his father's, but he tread across the dead grass as if completely oblivious of the sharp wind cutting through them. But then, there weren't a lot of things that could get Stiff Neck down.

"You could say that," Dirt smiled dryly, a few of his missing teeth showing. "Definitely colder than your grandpappy had to plant in. If we get another frost, you, me, and your ma'll have to take up rock farming."

Stiff grimaced, walking alongside his father with a more glum expression. "I wish corn was half as tough as us."

The father and son duo stopped on a flat stretch of ground on the border of a beaten dirt road, furrowed into lines of piled soil. Dirt Poor immediately set to walking along the rows, carefully inspecting the sprouting corn plants.

He felt a pang at every brown leaf and withered stalk. The sprouts had pushed their way to the surface, urged along by his singing and magic, only to be met with chill air colder than any corn plant had business being exposed to. As it was, the crop would probably just barely feed the family over the winter.

A single disaster could wipe the corn, the earth pony family, and their little hovel off the face of the map.

Dirt and Stiff met each other's eyes, the younger nodding his head grimly as his own senses told him how much the plants were suffering. Dirt didn't say it, but he knew their quiet dread was shared by all the earth ponies in the country by now. He heard them whispering in the market, fretting over their winter supplies, pointing hooves of blame above, and even spreading mad talk of fleeing the country and heading south en masse. Desperate times made for scared, desperate ponies.

"Come along, son," Dirt sighed finally. "Let's go in and tell your ma to start a pot of beans. It'll be good to have something hot in our bellies."

While there's still something hot to have is what he didn't say, because Dirt Poor was a sunny and optimistic pony who'd never say anything that grim out loud. Sigh.

Besides, the boy'll figure out the situation eventually. No sense in me getting his spirits any further down than they have to be.

"Pa?"

Dirt had already turned to head back to the hovel, but he stopped at the cold's word and faced back to him. "What is it, boy?"

The colt pointed a forehoof into the distance. "I see pegasi."

At that Dirt peered anxiously into the wind, to where the colt was pointing. A cold feeling that had nothing to do with the weather stabbed into his gut as he saw massive lumps of gray slowly moving over the hills, heading his way.

Ah, horsefeathers.

Despite the cold Dirt Poor started galloping in the direction of the clouds, heart beginning to race. Maybe if he got there quick enough, he could talk them into delaying the rain. Maybe he could talk some sense into them.

And maybe the clouds'll start raining candies and pies instead of water. But I've gotta try.

It didn't take him long to notice Stiff running along beside him, which made him cringe. Last he wanted was for the colt to see his old stallion begging and pleading with the weather patrol.

"Get back to your ma, boy!" he called out while galloping. "You're excused for the day."

"I wanna help, pa," the colt insisted, keeping perfect with the older stallion. "You might need it."

Dirt groaned, but knew that arguing with Stiff Neck was generally more trouble than it was worth. Words bounced off of him and paddling just made him stiffer, and there was no time for either with the storm clouds brewing ahead.

Fortunately the earth ponies hadn't been going hungry yet, and with their full strength they were able to gallop underneath the forming clouds fairly quickly. They were on a raise in the landscape, a half of a hill that scooped up towards the sky and into the worst of the wind. Dirt cowered into himself at the feel of the sharp winds, and even Stiff started shivering.

All around and up above, the rain makers flew. Around a dozen pegasi, thin ponies with broad feathered wings, soared and collected bits of gray cloud matter to attach to the growing storm cloud in their center. Their coats were in more colors than the earth ponies' usually were, but gray and black were most common. Nearly all of them had images of lightning or tornadoes on their flanks, and there wasn't a pegasus in the flock without the helmets and light armor the creatures always traveled in.

"What is this?" a sharp voice cried out in mock surprise. "Earth ponies? Out here in the cold?"

A midnight blue pegasus stallion swooped the ground and landed on the dead grass, shooting a smarmy smile towards Dirt and his son. An ashen mare alighted beside him, her face mirthful but cruel.

"Take care, Knight Wing," she warned in a dramatic overly-loud whisper. "If they're coming this close, they may be diseased."

The other pegasi laughed as they worked, and the blue pegasus smirked. "Don't you have crops to tend?" he asked, waving a hoof at the cornstalk cutie mark slightly visible on the earth stallion's flank.

"Not for long we won't, if you drop this rain on us," Dirt Poor retorted, feeling his temper flaring within him. "It's too cold. You'll freeze their roots."

"Have you tried putting blankets over them?" Knight Wing suggested dryly. "You sing them lullabies, so you might as well continue to baby them."

Dirt sighed over the other pegasi's guffawing. "Please," he said softly, bowing his head. "Just wait till a warmer day. We'll pay you for your time here. Just wait till it's warm enough for the plants to survive."

The gray mare glared at them coldly. "There will be no warmer days, pony of earth. If this cold was going to pass, it would have done so by now."

"And whose fault is that?" Dirt snapped, taking a step forward. "The pegasi rule the weather. Why have you done nothing to halt this cold?"

"Watch your tone, mud horse," the blue stallion snarled, wings flaring stiffly at his sides. "As we've told your people, this cold is not our work. Either the unicorns are conspiring to kill us all, or the gods have finally tired of your filth and have elected to freeze you out. Whichever which way it is, we have nothing to do with it."

The conversation over, the two pegasi fanned their wings and leapt into the air, joining their brethren in forming the storm that would doom the farm. Dirt Poor's nostrils flared, but he bowed his head and began walking back towards home.

"Come along, son," he grumbled. "You argue with pigeons, you get pigeon logic. Let's be done with them and try covering up the plants."

Stiff Neck stood frozen on the hill, looking anxiously back to his father and to the working pegasi. Something was brewing inside of him; not just his usual determination, but something hotter. He felt... angry.

The anger mixing with his determination, Stiff stamped a hoof into the ground and yelled into the wind. "Can you eat clouds, Knight Wing?"

The blue stallion paused at hearing his name, swooping back and hovering over the colt's head. "Was that meant to be an insult, earthling?"

"Just an honest question," Stiff replied with a straight face. "'Cause nothing grows up where you fly, and I've never seen you planting anything on the ground. You get all your food from us at the harvest festival."

The pegasus stared blankly for a moment, and then his eyes narrowed. "The deal stands. We are not violating our side of the bargain. You order rain for the spring, and we have brought rain for the spring."

"The deal's changed," Stiff declared, stamping his hoof again and pulling himself to his full tiny height. "Let the rain fall into the ditches and the ponds and the rivers. Fill up the reservoirs, and then we'll heat it up ourselves and pour it on the fields."

"I wouldn't presume to tell pegasi how to manage the weather if I were you, child of dirt," Knight Wing sneered, lowering himself to better scowl at the colt.

Stiff Neck didn't even falter. "We know the corn like you know clouds, feather head. And I promise you, if you let that rain touch our fields, you'll be chewing the plumes of your helmets come winter, 'cause we won't have a crumb of food to spare. So what'll it be?"

The blue stallion shared a glance with the gray mare, before glaring harshly at the earth pony colt scowling defiantly at the both of them. "It will be as you want, earthling," he growled, anger apparent on his face. "Now scramble back to your hut before we add a few lightning bolts to the agreement."

With that Knight Wing and his companion rushed away in blue and gray trails, leaving the two earth ponies alone on the ground beneath the storm. Dirt Poor stared at his son with wide eyes and an open mouth, before turning and following the colt back to the house.

"Let's get in before it gets wet, pa," Stiff said cheerily. Dirt could only continue to stare in shock.

The wet clouds rumbled overhead, lightning bolts flashing menacingly as the water poured out over selected parts of the countryside. The air was wet and freezing cold, but the pegasi above didn't let a single drop of the water land in the fields. It all fell in the ditches and the ponds and the rivers, just as Stiff Neck had demanded.

Inside a snug pony hovel, Dirt Poor hung up his cloak and tried to process what had just happened.

Did my son just argue down the weather lords?

He glanced at his son, who was warming himself by the hot hearth to warm up.

We knew he was obstinate, but this is something new altogether...

He did a double take at the colt's flank, before his face split into a toothy grin.

"Ma!" he called out, gesturing his wife into the room. "Come look at our young stallion."

A copper-coated earth pony mare poked her head into the room, looking tired. "What is it, Dirt? Is he hurt?"

When she noticed it, her face burst into a smile as wide as Dirt's. "Stiff, dear?"

The colt glanced at his mother in confusion. "Yes, ma?"

"Have you taken a look at your flank since you came inside?"

Stiff Neck frowned. "I don't under--"

His eyes widened. Upon his tan flank was now a picture that hadn't been there in the morning—where once there was bare coat, now there was the image of storm clouds rolling away from a firm, unmovable boulder.

It took a minute for the impact to sink in, but Stiff Neck's face burst into delighted emotion. "HUZZAH!" he cheered, rearing onto his hind legs and cheering. "I got my cutie mark!"

Unable to resist the urge, Stiff ran to the still-open door and shook his hoof at the rain. "Do you hear that, Knight Wing? Today you gave me a lot more than you bargained for!"

The storm only rumbled in response, but the hovel was filled with happy whinnies and celebration.

Edited by Kobold King

Seriously? Nobody?

Fine, I'll start:

Kobold? That was awesome, and I hate you. On your first try, you showed up every attempt I have made at MLP fan fiction. 

I expect the prospective sequel to be released before years end, as a heartswarming present. 

...Also, I found this and thought it was funny:

bc8.jpg 

Edited by Quiver

Seriously? Nobody?

Fine, I'll start:

Kobold? That was awesome, and I hate you. On your first try, you showed up every attempt I have made at MLP fan fiction. 

I expect the prospective sequel to be released before years end, as a heartswarming present. 

...Also, I found this and thought it was funny:

bc8.jpg 

Wow, really?  Only 3 upvotes (mine included) for Kobold's fic?  That's a travesty!

I didn't respond before, but I upvoted it because it was good.  So good. 

Seriously? Nobody?

Fine, I'll start:

Wow, really?  Only 3 upvotes (mine included) for Kobold's fic?  That's a travesty!

I didn't respond before, but I upvoted it because it was good.  So good. 

Thanks, guys! :D (But shame on you, Quiver. You know darn well that I can't outdo Fleet or Symphony Rocks or Constellations or Daring Do and the Perils of the Platinum Palace. Don't rub my inferiority in my face with your heartless jesting. :P)

Still debating whether to type up the sequel, which would pretty much just be ponies talking at Stiff's funeral seventy years later. My original concept was to show a snippet from the life of every generation of this family from the pre-Hearth's Warming era to the end of Discord's reign, potentially stretching it to the Nightmare Moon crisis, but I'm unsure of how far I'll go with that.

Oh, and a bit of behind-the-scenes trivia for you guys: Knight Wing and the gray mare are the direct ancestors of the pegasus jerks that call Dash "Rainbow Crash" every time she goes to Cloudsdale. This is a true headcanon which I most certainly didn't just make up off the top of my head. :P

Edited by Kobold King

Oh, and a bit of behind-the-scenes trivia for you guys: Knight Wing and the gray mare are the direct ancestors of the pegasus jerks that call Dash "Rainbow Crash" every time she goes to Cloudsdale. This is a true headcanon which I most certainly didn't just make up off the top of my head. :P

I may have to rescind my upvote. I find it hard to believe that any relative of pony!Dick Grayson could be a jerk, no matter how distantly.

But...a generation fic sounds like it could be really interesting (I considered something similar for an Fo:E fic). There's a lot of unexplored and undefined time between the big points of Equestria, so I'd like to see that idea!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So, thoughts on season 6 trailer? Daughter of a made alicorn being a natural alicorn?

I don't like that she's an alicorn. But at least she's an adorable alicorn, and if I'd be lying if I claimed that my magical headcanons matter more to me than cuteness when it comes to a show about pretty pastel ponies. :P

I do like that the trailer seems to imply that the birth of an alicorn foal is an unusual event in-universe as well as out. Maybe we'll even get an appeasing explanation for the phenomenon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These might not technically be "videos" as such...

But. They are pony related, and they are on youtube, so they probably count.

They are also awesome, and frankly, letting people who don't know know they exist can only be a good thing.  

What are they, you may ask?

My Little Pony Audio Drama's.

Doctor Whooves Adventures

Doctor Whooves and Assistant

Doctor Whooves the Great 

(Though, this one doesn't seem to have had an update in almost a year, so it might be dead, which is a shame...)

princess Trixie Sparkle

I'm sure there are more of them out there, but I have to admit, I'm not quite sure where they are... and these seem to be the "big" ones. Doctor Whooves and Assistant is probably the most well known, but I admit, I quite enjoy the others... even if Princess Trixie Sparkle can be a little cheesy at times.

Anyway, anyone else here watched any of these before?

These might not technically be "videos" as such...

But. They are pony related, and they are on youtube, so they probably count.

They are also awesome, and frankly, letting people who don't know know they exist can only be a good thing.

What are they, you may ask?

My Little Pony Audio Drama's.

Doctor Whooves Adventures

Doctor Whooves and Assistant

Doctor Whooves the Great

(Though, this one doesn't seem to have had an update in almost a year, so it might be dead, which is a shame...)

princess Trixie Sparkle

I'm sure there are more of them out there, but I have to admit, I'm not quite sure where they are... and these seem to be the "big" ones. Doctor Whooves and Assistant is probably the most well known, but I admit, I quite enjoy the others... even if Princess Trixie Sparkle can be a little cheesy at times.

Anyway, anyone else here watched any of these before?

No, but they're good. Thanks for sharing

• 2 weeks later...

Traceria!  You're back!

Hi!  I know, it's been forever, right?  I can't get online at work at all, and our laptop died almost a year ago (recently replaced :D), so I just haven't been able to be around.

Besides missing and also neglecting you all, I missed getting notice of the signing in Philly until it was too late thanks to my absence. :(