Brent Weeks, The Lightbringer Series

Catalyst21

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of people liked brent Weeks Night Angel Trilogy and I felt it was severely lacking.

Has he become a better writer in his new series. I read the Night Angel Trilogy and he seems to write good stories but is not a very good storyteller if that makes sense to you.

It`s one of the only series on my bookshelf that I haven`t re-read.

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I am playing my Thread Necromancy card!

I read The Black Prism sometime last year and loved it. I guess I am a colossal sucker for well-designed magic systems, because I remember having a few (minor) issues with the quality of the writing and the characters, but the magic drew me in so much, I chose to ignore those things. Now I am going through The Blinding Knife and experiencing pretty much the same thing - I want "Gavin" to tell Karris everything, I want Kip to do that movie montage where he turns into a superhero, I want Liv to pull her head out of her (reportedly lovely) rear... but really, none of that matters, because there are people who can see microwave (or terahertz waves) and x-ray! And they can draft them. And the luxin behaves sensibly! Which is all really cool and I am glad Weeks thought it through, down to how the physiology of the eye would have to change to make such things possible. Mad props.

• 1 month later...

I'm getting legitimately stoked for this book. Despite there being a TON of good releases right now this is the one I'm looking forward to the most. Thinking about performing a re-read. I've never re-read this series so it should be quite fun. Also refreshing because looking back I'm hazy. I think there was a girl who can see microwaves in the last book. Does that sound right to anyone?

I kind of find it hilarious that a pastiche of Magic: The Gathering is a deeply ceremonial gambling and strategy game in the setting, though all the cards are based on actual historical figures there.

It's played completely straight, too, and there's nothing like a line of flavour text for a fragment of exposition when it actually applies to the people and objects.

Edited by Swimmingly

There is Teia a Supervilot and Liv(not 100% a Supervilot and Yellow) I too need to re read and I can't wait for this also.

Teia / Adrasteia is not a superviolet (though Liv is). Teia can see and draft paryl, a color described as "as far below subred as subred is below red." Which makes it microwave, but a very narrow slice of the microwave spectrum.

Edited by Argent

Lightbringer is such an excellent series, and I'm extremely looking forward to the release in a month. It's one of only a few series that ignites my theory cortex as much as Brandon's do. I spent a good chunk of time myself, Argent, looking up spectrum related information after reading the books!

Peter - I'm generally of the mind that a trilogy or series needs to be digested and and evaluated as whole moreso than as individual volumes. I agree with you the Blinding Knife wasn't a revolution over Black Prism, but I'd prefer to think of them both as a huge step forward for Brent, and a really progressive work for Fantasy as a genre as they step out of the 'dark and gritty' phase from last decade.

• 4 weeks later...

I just started re-reading Book 2. I am always blown away by how damnation readable his books are. The prose is just OK, but there's something about the world and the characters that just make these books page turners to an extreme. I can't stop reading and it's a re-read. Weeks is doing something right. Normally with a book like this when I look back things gets foggy and I can't remember why I gave it super high ratings, but when I look back on Weeks I think "It ain't literature, but it's a BLAST!"

Nice review Peter. One thing I noticed during my recent reread is the gigantic bump in foreshadowing the second book brought. The first book has very little foreshadowing at all, and relatively few hints there's a much much deeper world than we suspect. The second book is supercharged by comparison - the world now abounds with people who know secrets but aren't telling, ancient things that most people forgot, hidden powers that are marginalized, secret societies and plots promised, and in general just jam packed.

I'm not sure if this is a case of 'Yay, the series has a guaranteed publishing contract now' or just a change in direction, but it was very notable to me.

Also, am I the only one who is gradually feeling more and more that major Fantasy authors just need to get together and make their own card game or MTG subset? I've even considered doing one myself as an idle thought. It seems like the major new authors of the last decade or so is correlating with a love of a certain collectible trading card game...

Well, Rothfuss is wielding the regular card decks business like it's a vorpal blade. Weeks* has the MTG going on, and I believe he would like to eventually turn it into a game, if the planets align properly. Supplementary materials, not just card games, are definitely a cool way to expand the franchise.

* I will not stop feeling weird when I have to say or type people's names that are also regular nouns.