Headphone Advice

Wyrmhero

So my headphones have literally just given up the ghost, after more three years of fairly decent service. Unfortunately, I've never bought a pair of headphones myself before (the previous set were hand-me-downs), and I have no idea what the market for headphones is like right now, which is a bit of a problem. Particularly when quality is impossible to judge online before purchase. I will probably go and have a look in the nearby shopping centre for a pair, but I'm expecting them to rip me off compared to online.

For the most part, I only really want these headphones for playing music, audiobooks and games with. While not necessary, I would deem a decent microphone with it to be a very welcome bonus, and I don't mind whether it's wired or wireless - though again, the wireless aspect would be welcome. I am willing to spend a maximum of £20 on a new set, so I'm not expecting masses from it, just a serviceable pair of headphones.

So those of you with a decent set of headphones out of there, what would you recommend, and what should I expect from my budget?

Could you expand a bit on what you're looking for? Over-ear vs. earbuds, cans vs over-ear? Is isolation important? Etc.

These bad boys have served me fairly well over the years, I must say. Decent sound quality, a pretty good in-line volume adjuster, and fairly comfortable. No isolation to speak of, though.

The best headphones I have, though, have to be the MDR-7506's. A tad outside your price range, though.

Edited by Kurkistan

I'm looking for over-ear ones, I would say. I don't know what you mean by cans though. Isolation isn't important, since I don't like to become too oblivious to the rest of the world around me.

I'd give the headphones I used to have as an example, but I don't recognise the logo on the sides. It's a box with a slanted 'S' from one corner to the other, but that doesn't help as I don't know anything else about them >>.

Yeah, a little bit more expensive than I'd like, I will admit... Though honestly I have no idea what £65 is meant to get you anyway.

Edited by Wyrmhero

I personally have used these before, and they're relatively good wireless headphones. I prefer the H800 though (more comfortable and better sound quality), but they're significantly more expensive. These are also about double the price you wanted, it looks like, but they work either over bluetooth or USB (the USB part is like the USB piece for a wireless mouse, just a little USB chip you stick in that it connects to). I've used these for gaming and such, and they work great. You can get a cheaper version of these without the USB chip for much cheaper as well (a little above your price). If you plan on using bluetooth, or will spring for a bluetooth dongle as well, then you should be good. I obviously can't vouch for the quality of these, since i've never used them directly.

I also have these to use with my tablet, but they require your device to have bluetooth. They aren't over the ear headphones like you wanted, but for the price, these are actually really good wireless earbuds.

Ah, right, in which case, cans would be preferred. Gonna have a look in a local store tomorrow, but I'm not expecting them to do good deals, sadly.

Edit: That was a fail. Trust a music store to rip people off for headphones...

Edited by Wyrmhero