How did Vin control the Koloss in Mistborn: Well of Ascension book?

IEarthan

I know she used Duralumin to control the Koloss. But Duralumin burns very fast. So she should be able to control the Koloss for only a very short amount of time.

1) How did she control them at length then?

Also, In the book 2, it says that at first she only gained control of a small group of Koloss.

2) How then suddenly she gained control of all the Koloss at once when she started with a group only? Thousands of them controlled by only controlling a small group?

Sanderson really didn't write this part properly.

Answer my questions please. 

1 hour ago, IEarthan said:

I know she used Duralumin to control the Koloss. But Duralumin burns very fast. So she should be able to control the Koloss for only a very short amount of time.

1) How did she control them at length then?

You don't need to soothe or riot them constantly to have control over them - once you take control, you have it almost permanently, and you don't need to burn anything. They're yours. What Vin did here with duralumin and brass is like establishing a connection between Koloss and her - once it's done, she has that connection no matter what metal she is burning or what she is doing. She can control them however she wants. She just needed to use duralumin to smash through their will and overwhelm them, as normal soothing isn't powerful enough to do that. This will be explored and explained further in book 3, The Hero of Ages (HoA).

1 hour ago, IEarthan said:

Also, In the book 2, it says that at first she only gained control of a small group of Koloss.

2) How then suddenly she gained control of all the Koloss at once when she started with a group only? Thousands of them controlled by only controlling a small group?

When she was talking to Penrod, after taking control of the first group of Koloss, she told him to get her more metals, and send soldiers into the city to lure Koloss closer without fighting them, and send somebody to inform her about new group of Koloss, so she can take control over them with dualumin and soothing/rioting. Over the period of the whole night, they did that and Vin took control over all remaining Koloss in the city.

I hope that helped :) 

3 hours ago, alder24 said:

You don't need to soothe or riot them constantly to have control over them - once you take control, you have it almost permanently, and you don't need to burn anything. They're yours. What Vin did here with duralumin and brass is like establishing a connection between Koloss and her - once it's done, she has that connection no matter what metal she is burning or what she is doing. She can control them however she wants. She just needed to use duralumin to smash through their will and overwhelm them, as normal soothing isn't powerful enough to do that. This will be explored and explained further in book 3, The Hero of Ages (HoA).

When she was talking to Penrod, after taking control of the first group of Koloss, she told him to get her more metals, and send soldiers into the city to lure Koloss closer without fighting them, and send somebody to inform her about new group of Koloss, so she can take control over them with dualumin and soothing/rioting. Over the period of the whole night, they did that and Vin took control over all remaining Koloss in the city.

I hope that helped :) 

Ah! Sir! Brilliant! You are a genius. Thanks for replying. I am pissed though. Why did Elend suddenly have power? I know he ate something but that felt wrong to make a guy suddenly mistborn. Defeats the whole purpose of being gifted & pure blood to become Mistborn. Also Elend was no at all suited to become MB. His character was much better as it was. I am unable to continue with MB 3 Hero ... book anymore. I tried. Kindly suggest me your best fantasy recommendation based on your most favourite. Suggest a book which is like MB Book 1 FE but not like MB 2 & MB3.

4 hours ago, IEarthan said:

Ah! Sir! Brilliant! You are a genius. Thanks for replying. I am pissed though. Why did Elend suddenly have power? I know he ate something but that felt wrong to make a guy suddenly mistborn. Defeats the whole purpose of being gifted & pure blood to become Mistborn. Also Elend was no at all suited to become MB. His character was much better as it was. I am unable to continue with MB 3 Hero ... book anymore. I tried. Kindly suggest me your best fantasy recommendation based on your most favourite. Suggest a book which is like MB Book 1 FE but not like MB 2 & MB3.

Sorry you feel that way, good luck finding books you like more! And as for other books, maybe try some of Brandon Sanderson's other books? It's not for everyone, as your experience with MB shows, but they are great books, all things considered. If you want similar books, I think you really might like Mistborn Era 2, the 4 books in the Wax and Wayne series. They're everything MB 1 had, but even better! You'd have to finish MB 3 though, or read a summary of what happens in the end for Era 2 to make sense

Edit: Just so you know, Era 2 takes place 300 years after MB 3

Edited by Underwater_Worldhopper

• Chaos locked this topic