The Cult of Shiro

Chaos

Background knowledge, in case you don't know who Shiro is: he's evil. He's responsible for the internet going out inexplicably. He makes a great scapegoat when there's no other rational reason! If you hate your internet going out, you should join me and start respecting Shiro, so he doesn't smite us (and secretly praising the Anti-Shiro. Shiro erased that dude's name, because Shiro is annoying like that).

Why was this demon named Shiro? For this reason: Shiro was a character in the MMO Guild Wars Factions. In some excessively convoluted reasoning, he came back from the dead and brought this weird plague with him. Yeah, I don't know. It made sense at the time. Anyways, when you beat him in that game, some old dude says "We have a special place in the underworld for him... a place of eternal torment."

Now, realize that at this time, I was on dial-up, and my internet went out a heck of a lot trying to get to Shiro. I was rather annoyed. But then it hit me. A "place of eternal torment"? Holy crap, it's a dial-up modem! There's nothing more eternally tormenting. So, I began blaming dial-up on Shiro's malevolence. Later, when I banished dial-up forever, Shiro grew in strength. Router goes out? Shiro. Did that snow storm knock out your power which prevented you from internet access? Shiro must be growing powerful. Apparently Shiro also has a cat form, though I can't fathom how that came about.

So now you know, if I've spoken of Shiro and you didn't know what I'm talking about!

Let's join in here and reduce his evil power! And hopefully, he won't garble this message.

D'awwww.

Shiro doesn't seem to hold quite as much power here at FAU; the most he tends to cause are annoyances. Even when I hooked up my own router instead of using the school's wifi, he lurks in the corners, waiting until I'm in the middle of something before prompting me to re-enter my username and password.

We'll get you one day, Shiro...

FAU does that too. It's so everyone can sign on using their own username and password, rather than having to use one master password. Shiro's just the one who makes those annoying reverification windows keep popping up when you're in the middle of something.

He got ahold of my internet the other day. I was disconnecting constantly. What a pain. e_e

If you ever wonder where Shiro goes when he is not causing problems online, I'm pretty sure he stays in my computer.  Like his nest or something.  It's really frustrating me. 

Yeah, he certainly likes to torment you.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've become convinced that Shiro controls BYU's internet filters as well. I can't access a good 15 - 30 percent of the sites I want to, and most of them give the reason "byublock" for their blockage, as opposed to the legitimate reasons like "malware" that show up from time to time. The IT department is probably coming to hate my requests to have sites whitelisted by now.

I've become convinced that Shiro controls BYU's internet filters as well. I can't access a good 15 - 30 percent of the sites I want to, and most of them give the reason "byublock" for their blockage, as opposed to the legitimate reasons like "malware" that show up from time to time. The IT department is probably coming to hate my requests to have sites whitelisted by now.

Jeez, knowing BYU's restriction on housing, I can't even fathom how strict their filters would be. Especially when they are Shiro enhanced.

• 1 month later...

Every time I want to play Resident Evil 5 online with my friend, Shiro seems to be there. Every. Single. Time. It doesn't matter how great my internet is doing that day. As soon as I turn on my PS3 with the intent to play online it's like NOPE. Perhaps Shiro is in league with Wesker...

Every time I want to play Resident Evil 5 online with my friend, Shiro seems to be there. Every. Single. Time. It doesn't matter how great my internet is doing that day. As soon as I turn on my PS3 with the intent to play online it's like NOPE. Perhaps Shiro is in league with Wesker...

Shiro is in league with everyone.

Or he just possesses PS3s. I have issues with playing online on mine as well.

Since when do you have a PS3? This is news to me.