Playing Musical Instruments anyone ?

I play the oboe (quite well, actually, which is relatively rare), flute, and alto saxophone, as well as Irish whistle and recorder.  I play piano, too, but that particular skill is awfully rusty.

I play the bassoon. Before everyone can ask 'What's that?', a bassoon is similar to an oboe, except much larger. So much larger, in fact, that the piping doubles back on itself and goes back up to the top of the instrument. If you're still confused, there are pictures on Google Images.

I am about Grade 4 AMEB (Australian Music Examination Board), and I don't know what the US equivalent. I prefer classical, and some of my favorite composers include Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky and John Williams (spot the odd one out, everybody), I also tinker in composing myself.

Double reeds represent!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh no, not yet. I'm still a lowly teenager. It's mostly a very enjoyable hobby. I play in a band at my church, but also learn whatever pieces I like on the side. I actually had never heard of grades before. What grade would I be in if I could play Liszt's Transcendental Etudes?

Oh no, not yet. I'm still a lowly teenager. It's mostly a very enjoyable hobby. I play in a band at my church, but also learn whatever pieces I like on the side. I actually had never heard of grades before. What grade would I be in if I could play Liszt's Transcendental Etudes?

That piece sounds complicated. Probably Grade Six, which is where I am. One of my pieces is this one: 

• 4 months later...

I have tried to play guitar for pretty much my entire life. My mom had a hard time teaching me because 1.) it comes naturally to her; and 2.) I'm left-handed and she has no idea what to do. It's weird, because this is the only area I have had any trouble being left-handed. Because i got kicked out of my guitar class at my high school (the high school I'm speaking of is rather terrible anyway; that school district is well-known for its problems.) He kicked me out because I was playing left-handed. It started off with him telling me to play it the other way, and I tried it and explained to him it wasn't working nearly as well. He told me to do it anyways. At first (and I don't know why after dealing with these people all my life), I thought he was just trying to give legitimate, kind advice. so I said everything was alright, I would get it down, and I even showed him I understood which strings were which, what frets were, and I even played a really simple thing (Smoke on the Water's opening) so he could be assured I would keep up. I said I could play like this. And he said, I'll never forget it, "Not in my class you won't". It was tragic, because I thought for years he would be a great teacher, one of the few in the district. I was crushed.

I had no idea being left-handed was going to cause me problems. I was completely blown away. It's just a hand. It was the strangest damnation thing I have ever experienced. it was almost dream-like, except I still can't figure out why since it followed the very formula that happened with me in every class every other day. I don't know, it seemed different.

But the other day I was watching an Animals as Leaders video, and it inspired me to figure it out on my own. It'll be a good thing to practice on breaks during my writing. And just writing this makes me want to do it even more. 

I'm a (very) casual piano and guitar player. Not currently part of any band. I don't have the skills.

I don't think i'd ever enjoy being a part of a band. If i ever get into music, I'll probably do all the stuff myself. I want to learn a lot of instruments and I think that would be the best motivation for it. I too do not currently have the skill sets for such a project.

Music is a pretty big part of my life. I've played  piano ever since I was four, and I would like to think I'm pretty good.  ;) I also play flute, piccolo, recorder, and harmonica. I'm thinking of learning violin over the summer. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I play alto sax (2 years) and bass guitar(1 year). I've played Bari, but i don't really anymore. I've kinda started teaching myself guitar (mostly lead) and I'm hoping to play tenor someday. I guess Jazz and blues are the most fun to play for me. I'm starting to get more advanced. It's pretty fun

Edited by KaladinStormblessed

• 3 weeks later...

I also do classical piano (7 years), and while I have no idea what grade I'd be on, right now I'm playing Bach's Concerto in F minor, which O'm prepping to play with my school's orchestra. By the way, that piece sounds really good, Elsa!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll copy my Guild of Arts application:

I play bass, my brother plays bari.
I also play piano, trumpet, french horn, mellophone, jew's harp, fife, sing, baritone, electronics, any pitched percussion...
My brother also plays piano and used to do alto, might do tenor this year, and occasional harmonica.
He also woodburns.
Other family members play violin, drums, trombone, kazoo, harmonica, and sorta guitar. And draw.

I've been meaning to start a band for a while, called Elend and the Obligators. It grew out of an AoL era Mistborn game as some minor characters, so there is some fictional backstory for my not-yet-real project. The hard life of a musician.

The hard part is getting started

And once we get started, we get confused, 'cause this hasn't happened before, so we get confused...

...and lost...

...and can't figure out how to get out of these spoiler tags.