Playing Musical Instruments anyone ?

Yay another piano player!! :)

Been doing piano for nearly 11 years now. Do you do grades and exams for piano? And are you a classical or modern pianist?

Um, hm. Well I had a private piano teacher and she just gave me assignments and then checked me off when I fulfilled them to her liking. My study of piano theory is about as horrendous as it gets. Meaning that I have basically no knowledge of technical terms and ideas. I play well, in fact I'm a pianist at my church, but I haven't the faintest idea about what the in-depth stuff means.

I'm guessing I'm more of a classical pianist, but could I have a definition of the two please?

Um, hm. Well I had a private piano teacher and she just gave me assignments and then checked me off when I fulfilled them to her liking. My study of piano theory is about as horrendous as it gets. Meaning that I have basically no knowledge of technical terms and ideas. I play well, in fact I'm a pianist at my church, but I haven't the faintest idea about what the in-depth stuff means.

I'm guessing I'm more of a classical pianist, but could I have a definition of the two please?

Classical is when you play like Mozart and bethoven and those classical composers

Modern is when you play current songs like Frozen or Defying Gravity or songs like that on the piano.

Im mostly classical but I'm a bit of a modern pianist too.

Do you have a favourite composer?

I always enjoy playing classical (and the other eras around it) way more than modern stuff.  Though, Romantic composers can kick my butt these days now that I'm out of practice.  I can still rock out a Bach Invention if I take a day or two to blow the dust away, even if it isn't completely up to snuff or tempo. ;)

This won't hold me back from playing Beatles songs or occasionally some Lord of the Rings music. :)

I always enjoy playing classical (and the other eras around it) way more than modern stuff. Though, Romantic composers can kick my butt these days now that I'm out of practice. I can still rock out a Bach Invention if I take a day or two to blow the dust away, even if it isn't completely up to snuff or tempo. ;)

This won't hold me back from playing Beatles songs or occasionally some Lord of the Rings music. :)

I love playing Mozart or Kabelevsky. I can play a lot of frozen songs too but weirdly I find it easier to play classical then modern.

Is it really horrible that I have yet to see Frozen?  A friend brought the DVD over to our house for the wives to watch (me and another girl) one Friday night, but we all ended up playing a game instead, and he never brought the DVD back over.  :\

Oh, how awesome would Final Fantasy or soundtrack music from Miyasaki be?  Do you have any of that Leftinch?

(I guess I've technically been playing piano for 27 years.  Wow.  Started when I was six.)

Is it really horrible that I have yet to see Frozen? A friend brought the DVD over to our house for the wives to watch (me and another girl) one Friday night, but we all ended up playing a game instead, and he never brought the DVD back over. :\

Oh, how awesome would Final Fantasy or soundtrack music from Miyasaki be? Do you have any of that Leftinch?

(I guess I've technically been playing piano for 27 years. Wow. Started when I was six.)

You should see frozen. It's amazing. I've seen it 17 times. (Yes. Really.)

Did you do any grades for piano or piano for

Leisure?

You should see frozen. It's amazing. I've seen it 17 times. (Yes. Really.)

Did you do any grades for piano or piano for

Leisure?

I'm going to text to ask the guy to bring over the movie again tonight!  No more excuses. ;)

I didn't go through any program/lessons that required grading and such, but I took lessons from age 6 up through my senior year of college.  I almost was a music major with piano as my focus but ended up doing mathematics instead.  Go figure!  The lessons in college were because I wanted some way to keep up with it.  After college I just played for leisure with the occasional covering for the church pianist or doing songs at a local coffee house.

How about you?

I'm going to text to ask the guy to bring over the movie again tonight! No more excuses. ;)

I didn't go through any program/lessons that required grading and such, but I took lessons from age 6 up through my senior year of college. I almost was a music major with piano as my focus but ended up doing mathematics instead. Go figure! The lessons in college were because I wanted some way to keep up with it. After college I just played for leisure with the occasional covering for the church pianist or doing songs at a local coffee house.

How about you?

I'm currently in grade 5 piano and about to go in to sixth grade piano on the 12th of August when the exam is.

I love playing classical and modern. Mostly classic though. My favourite composers are Mozart and Kavelevsky.

Enjoy frozen! Tell me what you think of the movie :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently in grade 5 piano and about to go in to sixth grade piano on the 12th of August when the exam is.

I love playing classical and modern. Mostly classic though. My favourite composers are Mozart and Kavelevsky.

Enjoy frozen! Tell me what you think of the movie :)

I also really like Mozart, though I enjoy playing Bach a lot, too.  Mozart just has this...flare...about his music. :)

Still haven't watched it, but we finally got him to lend the DVD to us last night!  So, hopefully this week!

I also really like Mozart, though I enjoy playing Bach a lot, too. Mozart just has this...flare...about his music. :)

Still haven't watched it, but we finally got him to lend the DVD to us last night! So, hopefully this week!

Mozart is awesome! :)

I watched Frozen for the 18th time last night hahaha :D

Have you seen any spoilers for it?

Edited by Queen Elsa Steelheart

• 2 weeks later...

No brass love :(

I play the trumpet and sing (mostly classical and musical theater). I generally don't do both at the same time ; )

:) I'm a trumpet player myself, at least I was for 8 years of school. Since graduating I haven't played. That was 4 years ago :(

I have played guitar for six years, and I loveto sing, although my deep bass isn't suited to the rock musicI like to play. I can nearly sing in the tenor range, but not with enough control to consider myself a multi-octave vocalist (I swear there is a term for that.) I sang bass in a jazz choir for a couple years, and that was a blast. Now I am more casual with my music, but it is still a great passion of mine.

:) I'm a trumpet player myself, at least I was for 8 years of school. Since graduating I haven't played. That was 4 years ago :(

I have played guitar for six years, and I loveto sing, although my deep bass isn't suited to the rock musicI like to play. I can nearly sing in the tenor range, but not with enough control to consider myself a multi-octave vocalist (I swear there is a term for that.) I sang bass in a jazz choir for a couple years, and that was a blast. Now I am more casual with my music, but it is still a great passion of mine.

Did you play electric or acoustic guitar?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a low brass player... all of them. As well as several other instruments that I just dabble with.

Edited by BreathTaker

• 2 weeks later...

I play the bassoon. Before everyone can ask 'What's that?', a bassoon is similar to an oboe, except much larger. So much larger, in fact, that the piping doubles back on itself and goes back up to the top of the instrument. If you're still confused, there are pictures on Google Images.

I am about Grade 4 AMEB (Australian Music Examination Board), and I don't know what the US equivalent. I prefer classical, and some of my favorite composers include Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky and John Williams (spot the odd one out, everybody), I also tinker in composing myself.

Edited by TheYoungBard

I play the bassoon. Before everyone can ask 'What's that?', a bassoon is similar to an oboe, except much larger. So much larger, in fact, that the piping doubles back on itself and goes back up to the top of the instrument. If you're still confused, there are pictures on Google Images.

I am about Grade 4 AMEB (Australian Music Examination Board), and I don't know what the US equivalent. I prefer classical, and some of my favorite composers include Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky and John Williams (spot the odd one out, everybody), I also tinker in composing myself.

Tchaikovsky is awesome.

• 2 weeks later...