Playing Musical Instruments anyone ?

I play a lot of things. Most of it is Celtic, classical, or Christmas, but here are some you would actually recognize: Let it Go (work in progress), Phantom of the Opera medley, Sound of Music medley, Under the Sea, Pachelbel's Canon in D, and Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring (which I was forced to learn in order to play at a wedding).

It's not that hard, really. It's like the white keys on a piano turned sideways, only prettier. I don't have a pedal harp, which is what you see in orchestras. They're really big and heavy and harder to play, because you make strings sharp or flat using pedals. I have a lever/Celtic harp, which is smaller. You can only sharp notes, with little levers at the top of each string. Its name is Lulu (I did not name it), and it's cool because the previous owner put in lights (so I can see my music) and a place where I can plug in amps or tuners.

That might have been a bit more than was necessary, but I talk about my harp a lot, so I just gave you the spiel. Sorry.

Anyway, that's my harp. Yay.

I've never known someone who actually plays the harp before. That's so cool!

I've always been curious (If you don't mind my asking) - how do you tell what string is what note? They all look the same to me.  :unsure:

They're clear, yeah.There are a few harps that don't have those red and blue strings (itsy bitsy 8-string ones and some wirestrung ones), so there are also some form of the color on the levers of the C and F strings (mine have painted dots, but my teacher has stick-on jewel hearts).

They're clear, yeah.There are a few harps that don't have those red and blue strings (itsy bitsy 8-string ones and some wirestrung ones), so there are also some form of the color on the levers of the C and F strings (mine have painted dots, but my teacher has stick-on jewel hearts).

Wow! All of this has totally put a new view on harps. :) How long have you been playing it?

I play the trombone. :P

I've also been learning to play the acoustic guitar for a few years now. I do some rhythm, some lead, some fingerpicking; pretty well whatever strikes my interest.

Accidental mobile downvote, sorry. I do those too much. Damnation fingers! Too large! If someone could fix this I would appreciate it. :)

My main instrument is the Double Trigger Bass Trombone, I currently own a Holton TR-181 rose brass double trigger horn. I also play every common low brass ( Tuba, Baritone/Euphonium, Tenor-bone, Valve-bone) Along with those I also dabble in Bass guitar, Acoustic and Electric guitar, piano and some people say I'm an excellent singer especially if I'm singing Irish songs like Seven Drunken Nights or if I'm doing Flogging Molly or Dropkick Murpheys karaoke.

My main instrument is the Double Trigger Bass Trombone, I currently own a Holton TR-181 rose brass double trigger horn. I also play every common low brass ( Tuba, Baritone/Euphonium, Tenor-bone, Valve-bone) Along with those I also dabble in Bass guitar, Acoustic and Electric guitar, piano and some people say I'm an excellent singer especially if I'm singing Irish songs like Seven Drunken Nights or if I'm doing Flogging Molly or Dropkick Murpheys karaoke.

Wow. I've only ever known of one other Euphonium player! It's not a very popular instrument, is it?

How many years have been playing those instruments?

• 4 weeks later...

Whistling!  Yay!  I can whistle pretty well also.  It helps that I like Andrew Bird so much, too, since you can both sing along and whistle along with his music. :D

I play piano and clarinet, though my chops aren't what they used to be a few years ago.  There was a time I played at church (clarinet and occasionally piano) and would regularly play/sing at a local coffee house.  Now I just fiddle on my piano if I feel like it.  Maybe one day I'll try to get back up to speed.

The only instrument I can actually play is the piano. Been playing that for almost 20 years (started lessons when I was 8). I can play half a song on the guitar, and I like to mess around with bongos (whether or not I succeed depends on the day and the song).

I've never been one for classical music. Even when I was in piano lessons, my teachers never emphasized the classical composers. Sometimes I feel like I missed out on something with that, but I far prefer pop songs and themes (movies, TV shows, etc) to classical. I'd play Lord of the Rings or Jurassic Park any day over Fur Elise (although if I ever actually finish learning "In the Hall of the Mountain-King," that would be a strong contender against Jurassic Park).

And while vocals aren't an instrument, I also love singing. I could spend hours playing and singing (and I've done so many times. :) ).