The Ten Core Shardworlds

callumke

Guest Galavantes

I actually like the idea that the people of Roshar had to move planets, possibly because of Bavadin. This doesn't mean that SA will take place on two planets, but it would explain why they know a little more about the cosmere.

Also when/where did we discover that Bavadin was the shard on the Silence Divine planet?

Brandon has said that while some shards are opposed to each other, none are as strong as the Ruin/Preservation dichotomy. The way I saw it was thus:

Honor binds men together, Odium forces them apart.

Devotion unites through choice, Dominion unites through force. (Remember that one of the names suspected for Aona's Shard was 'Unity')

Also, didn't the map of Shadesmar have 10 different named areas on it? Maybe these correspond with the 10 core Shardworlds. In fact, maybe there are 16 worlds in total, the 10 Cores (which explains the repetition of the number 10 in the Cosmere) and 16 in total, which explains the way 16 reappears all the time.

Edited by Kaurne

Brandon has said that while some shards are opposed to each other, none are as strong as the Ruin/Preservation dichotomy. The way I saw it was thus:

Honor binds men together, Odium forces them apart.

Honor and Odium are in a three-way balance with Cultivation. I don't think they're part of any opposition that Cultivation isn't also a part of.

Also, didn't the map of Shadesmar have 10 different named areas on it? Maybe these correspond with the 10 core Shardworlds. In fact, maybe there are 16 worlds in total, the 10 Cores (which explains the repetition of the number 10 in the Cosmere) and 16 in total, which explains the way 16 reappears all the time.

Check out this thread about Shadesmar. I don't think there are 16 worlds total. The "16"s that show up are referring to the number of Shards - there are 16 Shards.

Edited by Sir Read-a-Lot

Honor and Odium are in a three-way with Cultivation. I don't think they're part of any opposition that Cultivation isn't also a part of.

Check out this thread about Shadesmar. I don't think there are 16 worlds total. The "16"s that show up are referring to the number of Shards - there are 16 Shards.

First, perhaps I have a dirty mind, but that first sentence sounded REALLY wrong. It makes it sound like Odium killed Honor out of romantic rivalry. I mean, can Shards even have sex, considering they leave their bodies behind? That would be really weird.

Anyway, I know that the 16 is mainly due to their being 16 Shards. The point I was trying to make is that there is probably a link between the 10 core worlds and the appearance of the number 10 in the Stormlight Archive, and each name on the Shadesmar map corresponds to a core Shardworld. I was simply saying that if there are more worlds with no Shards, then why not have just 6 more, to make everything fit nicely? In fact, that could mean that each Shard was originally meant to have just one world of their own.

Honor and Odium are in a three-way balance with Cultivation. I don't think they're part of any opposition that Cultivation isn't also a part of.

In my opinion Cultivation is a "neutral" shard, as in it isn't "matched" with another shard. So Honor and Odium could be in a conflict without Cultivation as a part. It just happens they are on the same world.

Ah, interesting. Perhaps the Roshar myths of Roshar being a secondary world for its people, after they were kicked out of the Tranquiline Halls, are more literal than I suspected. Perhaps the original world they lived on was the other planet in the same system; the one Bavadin is occupying.

I had always considered the Tranquiline Halls as what existed before Adonalsium Shattered....but thats just me

• 2 weeks later...

We know there will be other planets except for the shard core worlds. Why not call them shard worlds instead, specificly calling them core worlds makes me wonder if there are shard worlds out side of the core world. the thing is we know there are only 16 shards, what would make them shards world, unless they too contain magic. Imagine each shard emits a wave of energy, that touches all as it spreads. I wonder what happens to on worlds where these pulses meet, allowing for the creation of many new combinations.

Shard are very powerful and dangerous, but could they directly affect things with their minds from another system.

Awesome nice work

Heralds appear to have been mentioned alot lately, Kinda makes it sound like we clearly missing one. The ones I know of are;

Jezrien - Prologue

Kalak - prologue (my iBooks is messing up so it's from memory but I think it's these 2)

Shalash - smashing stuff

Taln - end

I believe taln's real name is talenel. That's what he's called in the prelude, then Kalak later calls him taln, I think it's a nickname. On a different note, the name kalak is similar to kalasin, and also kalad from warbreaker. Any connection there?

• 1 month later...

Also why Dominion and Devotion again I can't see a logic to that off the top of my head, it makes for a cool story, which is obviously why Brandon did it (I assume) but whats the in-world reason?

Dominion makes other people serve you, Devotion makes you serve other people?

• 2 weeks later...

With AoL, we have 10 planned mistborn books

10 planned SA books

2 Warbreaker books

2 Elantris books

Liar of Partinel and Dragonsteel

White Sands

The Silence Divine.

That gives 28. What are the other 9 that give 37?

In terms of Harmony's metal, I think it makes sense for it to be an alloy of Lerasium and Atium. Brandon has said that, if Sazed wished, he could create Atium and Lerasium on Scadrial. Well, at least it was confirmed for Atium, and so I assume it is the same for Lerasium. If this is the case, it seems odd that, by having two shards, there would be three completely separate god metals. It seems far more likely that this is a metal that is an alloy.

BTW would an alloy of half Lerasium and half Atium produce a metal that makes a normal person into a full Feruchemist?

Actually, there are 3 books planned for the Elantris series. I also think that Dragonsteel is planned to be a 5 or 6 book series. That makes the total books 33 or 34. So there still are some other books out there.

Actually, there are 3 books planned for the Elantris series. I also think that Dragonsteel is planned to be a 5 or 6 book series. That makes the total books 33 or 34. So there still are some other books out there.

I believe its:

10 Stormlight Archive

3 Elantris

2 Warbreaker

9 Core Mistborn

1 (+) Noncore Mistorn ala Alloy of Law and possible sequels

1 The Silence Divine

3 White Sand (I believe Brandon mentioned once that White Sand was first in a trilogy)

2 Liar of Partinel and sequel

5 Dragonsteel

So that's thirty six there for sure.

I believe its:

10 Stormlight Archive

3 Elantris

2 Warbreaker

9 Core Mistborn

1 (+) Noncore Mistorn ala Alloy of Law and possible sequels

1 The Silence Divine

3 White Sand (I believe Brandon mentioned once that White Sand was first in a trilogy)

2 Liar of Partinel and sequel

5 Dragonsteel

So that's thirty six there for sure.

Dragonsteel is 7 books. (Liar and its sequel are not included in that number.) And Aether of Night may or may not be a Cosmere book...

• Chaos locked this topic