I need a title

Kendelian

So, a major plot point for this story that I’m making is that there is a secret group of scholars that are trying to emulate ancient magic. The magic is hereditary, and any genetic material can be used to channel the magic into another user who wasn’t born into the magic. They plan on kidnapping a person who was born into the magic and steal their blood to help them use magic. The title of the story is going to be the name of the scholarly group. Do you have any ideas for a name on that?

Hmm. "Blood Magic" perhaps? Or maybe "Secondhand Magic"? 

I'm personally partial to the second one, as I've recently become more interested in the idea of a story about someone who lives in a world of magic, but has none of his (or her) own. They use their intelligence and teamwork to use others magic to achieve their goals, however, possibly using words and tricks to get magical beings to do their will and they prove to be a powerful force to be reckoned with.

1 hour ago, Trusk'our said:

I've recently become more interested in the idea of a story about someone who lives in a world of magic, but has none of his (or her) own.

Sounds like Black Clover. Everyone has magic, Asta has none (but is absolutely shredded), goes on to be insanely cool anyway.

19 hours ago, Quantus said:

Something mundane that is only a "secret society" in the cultural context, a riff on "The Masons"?

You'd have to give me more flavor on the magic and/or ancient culture it was from for something more focused.  

I really dont know a lot about the Masons, but i dont think it is a riff on the Masons. The cult is trying to bring back the Silver Epoch, a time when sorcerers ruled the land, a time when their society, culture, and technology are all magically enhanced. But their oracles foresaw a calamity unlike what any had seen. A calamity caused by the magic. So, in order to prevent said calamity, they destroyed their libraries. All but one that they hid so well that they forgot about its very existence. A thousand years later, a group of scholars and historians started to research ways to bring back this time of magic, and upon the discovery of the forgotten library and decoding of the dead language, they learn of a way to use magic for themselves, using a silver device, referred to as a sangumantic amulet, and a sample of a magic-born’s genetic material, typically blood, they can utilize the long lost magic.

Some of my thoughts: 

Who primarily uses this name? Is it the secret scholars themselves or another group? How does this second party view them?

If the name you're looking for is used by themselves, it should have a positive connotation. You said above that they want to bring back the advanced technologies and way of life that ancient people had through magic. This means they probably view themselves as the good guys right? They believe they're saving everyone, so they should call themselves something good.

Ideas with a positive connotation:

• Refiners of the Fallen world (Refiners for short)
  • The Saving Grace (this one could kind of be an interesting Misnomer if they end up causing a calamity)
  • if they find out the name of the ancient peoples, it would be interesting if they started calling themselves after them. Possibly claiming they're the "Heirs of [insert ancient peoples name]" when in reality they're doing the opposite of what the ancient people wanted. This depends on how much they know of the ancient people and their language. Though they could also use the name that the modern public has given the ancient people. So maybe, The Ancient Architects, or The Foregone Masters etc.
  • Heroes of the Lost Ones 
  • The Great Mind (they're scholars so yeah)

If the name is used by the second party, lets say the general public, it depends on how the people see them. If this group wants DNA from blood and is trying to kidnap people, the public might not see them in the best light. If the public also sees them as heroes then just ignore this (this is also assuming that they even know about them at all, perhaps the character who gets kidnapped starts calling them something scary?).  

Ideas with a negative connotation:

• Blood Thieves (this one's pretty obvious) 
  • Originators of Calamity (if people are afraid they'll cause the calamity prophesied by ancient peoples)
  • Shadow Meddlers
  • Authors of darkness
  • The Blazing Origin (fire is often connected with chaos and destruction)

Good heavens I sure ramble a lot, I hope this might be helpful.