What Happened in Portland

721fd28dccbcf56605af7d805845ba9d.png

Nighthound couldn’t help but find that there was something cute about the way Neverthere tried to lay her charms on him ranging from subtle to downright brazen, all that was missing was the good old touch of the flesh. All with the undertone of wanting to use him of course, what a charming little devil, he'd do a good job of using her right back. He did manage to set up the two working together however, which for now should make a good first step for this particular male female relationship developing nicely.

With his darling pink prey taking her leave he turned to his sister, who in turn was facing him with a bit of a scowl. It was really a pity Lucentia kept her ruining her face like that but it appears that was part of the price of seeing one’s adorable little sibling grow up.

“I really do hope you have a proper reason for having me deal with that nuisance,” Lucentia said.

“Oh, of course I have my reasons, she does seem capable, having an insider never hurts and there is the matter of my male… urges.”

For a while Lucentia simply gave him a flat stare. “And I fear that you’ll put no effort into reigning in these urges of yours?”

“Naturally, I would have a hard time thinking of any predator that bothers fighting their instincts. Talking about my urges, could you take care of two of my pets for the moment?  I have some very important business to take care of with the other one.”

With his sister's understanding of what he was planning came a rather defeatist sigh, which was effectively her version of a fine, he grabbed Red and dragged her of into the foliage, all the while the bell around her collar jingling softly. Once they were far enough away to be out of sight and out of earshot he pinned her against a tree, drawing a sharper sound from her bell, pushing his own body tightly against hers. Then he leaned down, so he could whisper directly into her ear, “I’d like you to make sure that we have our privacy right now, because I intend to put you to good use right now.” He gently bit into her neck. Nighthound did intend to have her track down Neverthere but that didn’t mean he couldn’t make up for the lack of attention he gave her.                                                                             

Sam looked much to worried for something like ants… unless the ants stole all their food, that would be bothersome. Not as grave as Sam looked but maybe she had a major sweet tooth and they got all her sweets? Voidgaze was not very convinced with that option, and even with Sunburst’s explanation of an ant problem she was still worried. Sunburst asked her after her own evening just as she was about to inquire more about what was wrong with Sam.

The question immediately brought her kiss with Big Al to mind. It most certainly wasn’t what she was thinking about, given that she especially asked after the war work. On the other hand it was the most important thing that happened to her last evening and maybe they’d care… Talking about boys is one of the things friends do, right? Please?

Taking a half conscious glance over her shoulder she noticed that Al had followed Captain Cartwright out of the room and laid a comforting hand on his shoulder.

“Well no, Altermind didn’t really work me hard,” Voidgaze said to her two friends, “I mean there was a bit of trouble yesterday but nothing that was his fault. You know the usual people breaking into your house and trying to murder you stuff, nothing new… I mean it’s always new people attacking and there were some other people I had to keep safe this time and… well and you probably know what I mean.”

Gathering her courage Voidgaze meet Sunburst’s eyes. She did have a rather mature aura around her, she wouldn't mind, right? Maybe she could even give some advice. “And um what I’d say is more important that that whole attempted murder stuff is that… you know, I got a boyfriend.”

All things considered Voidgaze did a terrible job of looking Sunburst in the eyes and instead ended up looking down as she nervously played with one of her tassels, feeling an unfamiliar amount of heat rushing into her cheeks. 

31e3fa11-5713-467a-9d60-ce8b558f39ff_zps

Funtimes giggled, and Nathan realized his best move was to keep the flirting going until she tired of it. He ought to whisper some sweet nothings in her ear…but what did you say to an Epic girlfriend? "You're really cute when you're not drenching an ally in gasoline"? Maybe just the first part would do….

He had just leaned in to whisper when Altermind pointedly cleared his throat. "Excuse me, you two. If you wouldn't mind keeping yourselves off of each other for just enough time to finish our business, we can all be done earlier. Funtimes, would you mind if I make a couple requests for you today? I have a list of potential things for you to make that would benefit us immensely. First is lifting this building off the ground, similar to your floating museum, but that immense height won't be necessary."

Rather than skipping forward with an "Okie dokie loki," Funtimes' head snapped toward Revolution and Sam. 

Oh no. 

They'd done something, said something, to give her a reason to hate them. He had to think of something quick, keep her happy for a few seconds— 

Funtimes let out a long shriek of delight. 

She scampered forward and threw her arms around Voidgaze. 

"You have a boyfriend!" She had her arms wrapped around the white Epic from behind, jumping up and down. "This is so amazingly amazing! Blueberry has a boyfriend and he's—" 

Funtimes' eyes widened. 

She pulled away, taking a few bouncing steps so she could look Voidgaze in the eye. 

"What do you call him? Is he Pancake? How about Muffin? Do you call him Muffin? You should call him Muffin. You're Blueberry, and he's Muffin, so together you're Blueberry Muffin!" 

She squealed and squeezed Voidgaze again. 

"Yaaaaayyyyyy Blueberry has a boyfriend! Blueberry has a boyfriend!" 

Nathan glanced at Altermind, who had to be fuming behind his illusion…wherever that was. "She'll get started on that list," he said with a smile. "Just….give her a moment." 

facebook_farmville_freak_small_red_rose_facebook_farmville_freak_small_red_rose_

Voidgaze. Thoughttown's sweetest angel. Which Revolution meant quite literally--when beings gifted with phenomenal cosmic power walked the land, what else could you call them but angelic beings? Even if some were angels of death and blood, angels was what they were.

This angel--or blessed spirit, or gifted woman, or Epic--seemed almost shy as she approached Revolution and Sam, as adorably oblivious of the tassels swaying around her clothes as a puppy was oblivious of its wagging tail. 

“Hey,” she began softly. "Nice to see you again. So… those are some nice dresses and that dog is really cute. I guess yesterday went well for you two?”

Revolution frowned as her partner began what was clearly a sarcastic remark. Sam seemed to think better of her words, finishing with a flat "ants."

"The cottage has an ant problem," Revolution finished. "Nothing the good Doctor can't fix." She gave Sam a questioning look, which prompted the other girl to begin ignoring the other conversationalists altogether.

Oh well. A moody soul would be moody.

"How have things been for you?" Revolution asked instead, smiling encouragingly at the powerful demigod. "Has Altermind been saddling you with all his war work?"

“Well no, Altermind didn’t really work me hard,” Voidgaze confided in a soft breath, glancing over her shoulder at Altermind and a pair of guards leaving the office. "I mean there was a bit of trouble yesterday but nothing that was his fault. You know the usual people breaking into your house and trying to murder you stuff, nothing new… I mean it’s always new people attacking and there were some other people I had to keep safe this time and… well and you probably know what I mean.”

Revolution didn't know what she meant, but her expression became compassionate regardless. There was no serenity in the world any more, even for the most powerful and peaceful of beings.

This particular powerful and peaceful being seemed to struggle for words for a moment, before hesitantly meeting her eyes.“And um what I’d say is more important that that whole attempted murder stuff is that… you know, I got a boyfriend.”

Voidgaze immediately blushed as red as rose petals as she looked down at her feet. 

"That's wonderful," Revolution exclaimed quietly, beaming at the other woman. "It's amazing that love--"

"You have a boyfriend!"

There was an overjoyed shriek echoing off the office walls, and before Revolution could so much as blink her colorful host had Voidgaze around the waist, jumping up and down in celebration.

Now, Revolution wasn't one to stamp down on merriment, but by this point Voidgaze's face was red enough to rival Calamity. Revolution coughed quietly.

"I think Voidgaze wanted to tell us about him," she said, smiling pointedly at Doctor Funtimes. "Don't you want to hear what she has to say?"

Sam_zpsmsaddklv.gifSam_zpsmsaddklv.gifSam_zpsmsaddklv.gif

Sparks. Revolution thought she was an Epic.

Worse than that, actually. Epics didn't try to correct each other except as part of ongoing power struggles. Revolution was trying to be friends.

Sparks. Sam was going to have to plan the sparking woman's funeral, and she didn't even know her favorite song.

Voidgaze slowly glanced up as she heard Sunburst's reply. A warm and fuzzy feeling rose in her at the other woman's enthusiasm. Then she flinched together as she heard a loud shriek and was suddenly jerked sideward. She found herself in Funtimes' Arms, who was jumping up and down full of excitement at the news.

Before Voidgaze really had any time to react Funtimes pulled away a bit and asked her if she called Al her muffin, which wouldn't actually be that bad a nickname for him. She was returned back into a squeeze prison without the chance to react in any way.

It was good to know that Funtimes took well to the news but she was maybe a little bit too... forceful about it. Not only did she have no opportunity whatsoever to answer but she kind of started to suffocate under all the attention.

Salvation arrived in the form of Sunburst gently chiding the Doctor. Voidgaze took the chance to carefully slip out of Funtimes's grip. She took a step over to Sunburst and thanked the other woman. Still a bit flustered she tried to straighten her hair as she started talking, "His name is Big Al. I suppose calling him my... my muffin wouldn’t be that far from the truth. He can make really tasty Sausage McMuffins. It's his power, you know? He can just pull them straight out of his pockets, even though he doesn't really need a pocket for it to work. And he's a really awesome guy, considerate, gentle and a good conversationalist and... wonderful... and listen to me gushing about him." Voidgaze ended as she dissolved into an embarassed giggle.

But under all the nervousness was a content feeling right there. They were having a real conversation and the others even cared about her relationship with Al. Granted, Funtimes was a bit over enthusiastic but that was exactly because she cared. It really felt like a conversation between friends. Once she caught herself, Voidgaze gave the three a big warm smile.

red_pic_by_pir2h-d8ajg02.png

Red was getting jealous. 

Really. Really. Jealous.

It was bad enough having to share with that ungrateful Ray. C4 made her annoyed. Neverthere...

Fine. She'd deal. 

Though, at least Neverthere knew how to act. Ray and C4 were insane. They didn't appreciate what they had. They were going to fail. 

Red wondered if she would be able to track down the Neverthere by her heartbeat. She would wait to try. But she thought, as long as Neverthere didn't live out of Red's range, that she would. Assuming she didn't-

Nope. She cut herself off before finishing that thought. 

Red stopped her mental dialogue entirely to listen.

“Naturally, I would have a hard time thinking of any predator that bothers fighting their instincts. Talking about my urges, could you take care of two of my pets for the moment?  I have some very important business to take care of with the other one.”

Which one?

Red felt a thrill of joy at being called pet. Safe. Strong. 

Unfailing. 

The only thing she could depend on not to abandon her. To fail. She felt the familiar, iron taste of blood rise in her throat. 

Then Nighthound's gaze turned to Red.

The thrill rose higher. 

Two heartbeats drowned the world. Hers. His. 

Yes. 

He grabbed her and pulled her. She went, smirking. She made sure the other two saw her face. She swung around and hit a tree. 

Good. The pain struck her. The impact hurt. She was no High Epic, immune to pain. Except that of bleeding. She dug her fingers into her own wrist and the tangy smell of blood rose to her nose. 

“I’d like you to make sure that we have our privacy right now, because I intend to put you to good use right now.”

Blood ran down her neck. She smiled and shoved the blood out. It splurged through and sprayed all over her. 

"Sure." She smiled. "What now?" Heartbeats. She could hear it out loud. It was almost a scream.

And screams were good. 

If Nathan didn't have evidence to the contrary, he would have assumed Revolution was an Epic. An Epic with the power of superhuman idiocy.

There were many things you didn't do to Epics. You didn't refuse them. You didn't argue with them. And you did not, under any circumstances, chastise them with a smile. Even if the Epic in question wore pink panda pajamas and treated 'dirty meanieface full of lame' as a legitimate insult.

Sam looked as though she was frantically going over funeral arrangements for her friend—which probably wasn't far from the truth. Dear Calamity, where is that girl from? Has she even met an Epic before?

Perhaps Voidgaze had given her the wrong impression. Nathan had never met an Epic who would blush and ramble about her new boyfriend, seemingly oblivious to the fact that dear Calamity Revolution just treated Funtimes like a little kid, though for all he knew it might simply be what Voidgaze acted like in her better moods. Turn her day sour, and things could get ugly fast.

Funtimes still wore that same grin, even though she no longer had her arms wrapped around Voidgaze, so Nathan had no idea how close she was to snapping. Altermind remained inscrutable—sparking illusionists—but he could be seconds away from making an example of the insolent hippie Funtimes had dared bring into his territory.

Nathan was the only one who could save her.

Great.

He put on his iciest smile, stepped forward, caught her shoulder and gave it a squeeze. He hoped it looked, to Altermind, like a threat to teleport her ten feet underground if she didn't end her insolence. So far as Revolution went—well, he just hoped she knew how to take a hint.

"Really, Revolution," he said, remembering Funtimes' word of choice and adjusting his accordingly, "is that how you address a friend?"

“Quiet, smoochie bear,” Funtimes said, throwing her arms around Voidgaze before she could escape, “you’re distracting me from the adorableness.

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

20ece8cfb8bb1bf5d9b35ee783f5e272.jpg

Ray wondered more and more if she had simply gone insane. She generally could understand High Epics, Calamity, she even accepted that something as sick as Nighthound existed but how where there any sparking people that didn’t just want him dead?! His sister was one thing, she could rationalize that but not only was there that spineless Red now Neverthere had shown up and Ray could only pray that she was simply acting and not actually flirting with that abomination. Ray might not actually be able to stay sane after that.

Then Nighthound left. Even if it was only going to be for a moment, he left. Sure she was still under watch by his sister but she wasn’t Nighthound.

Lucentia created a throne and seated herself, letting out a sight as she surveyed the two. C4 simply crawled up against one of the trees. Ray herself considered if she may have a chance to get away from Lucentia instead of Nighthound.

“Just spare us the trouble and sit down,” Lucentia said with a good amount of disinterest in her voice. “Although I can imagine how much trouble my brother must be.”

Ray perked up. Trouble was underestimating it by a long shoot but maybe there was enough animosity between them to actually play them against each other, even if only a little bit. “He does-“

“Who said you get to complain?” The glare Lucentia shoot at Ray made her shut up immediately. “As it were, he has developed quite a penchant for causing trouble. You wouldn’t belief what problems he has caused for me.”

Nighthound’s pet might be growing a bit too excited. Not something that would usually stand out as a bad thing but if this was how she acted after a couple of hours she may turn into an annoyance if he didn’t have the time for her later down the line. She may also be laying it on to thick with the blood splashing.

“Calm, Red,” he said, while gripping her chin. “First I want you to do something for me and then it’s reward time. You’d agree that we can’t just let Neverthere do what she wants, right? That’s why I want you to track her down.”

Hopefully this time she’d actually manage to do her job right. Otherwise she might turn out to be much less useful than she made herself out to be. Nighthound overplayed those thoughts by giving Red an easy smile. 

Edited by Edgedancer

download_zpsa345792a.jpg

A laughing Quota was waiting for Timeport at the top of the stairs. “Calamity, that’s how you sleep now? Genius.” 

Timeport grinned. He’d taken a shower the night before, so his body and teeth were white once more--and he couldn’t wait until he could again stain them with red. “It is a lot more productive than sleep, you know,” He began chuckling as well. “So, do you think Corpsemaker will have anything for us to do today--” he paused, then reduced his voice to a whisper, “--or do ya think that we’ll get to spend today like we spent last night?” he finished with a wicked grin. 

027232-glossy-black-icon-culture-angel-t

Well, that could have been disastrous, was Angel Zoe Finch’s first thought in the morning.

A piece of wood right square above Angel’s head had apparently broken off of the ceiling sometime during the night. Thankfully, she fell asleep between two old metal chairs, and that had stopped the piece of wood from landing on her. They had not, however, stopped her from hitting her head on it as she jolted awake from a nightmare of watching her parents die over and over and over and over and.....

"Run." 

Angel stood up, rubbing her head, and Ramses ran over to her, putting his head under her arm. She patted him on the head and sniffed, remembering her dream. “Today’s gonna be another awful day, isn’t it Ramses?” 

Though I guess it’d be hard to be worse than yesterday...

stock-illustration-89324121-mother-and-b

Mommy, as always, helped the children get ready for the day. It was easy of course, for her. None of the children ever complained about anything while she was around--at least, not about anything having to do with her. 

Once the children were all ready, she rounded them up in the classroom she’d been given and told them to pack up. “I know we’ve only been here for one day,” she said in her I’m-talking-in-a-little-kid-voice-so-you-all-better-listen-up voice, “but Mommy has some new plans for us! Isn’t it exciting?” 

She was met with excited “yeah!”s and vigorous nods from most of the kids. 

“Great! So everyone pack up quick because we’re leaving as soon as we can!” 

Excitedly, the kids began to pack their meager belongings into little homemade knapsacks she’d made with them as a Labor Day fun project. At the same time, someone knocked on the door. Cheerily, Mommy almost-skipped to the door and opened it up, and smiled when she saw who was standing there. 

“Wow,” Sidestep said. “The kids all look pretty busy....” 

“Yep!” Mommy said, then blushed as she realized she hadn’t switched her voice back to normal yet. “I mean, yeah. We’re packing up.” 

Sidestep took a moment to speak, and sounded a little flustered when the words finally escaped his mouth. “P-packing up? Did-didn’t you just get here?” 

“Well, yes, but I’ve learned a few things, and I need to go back somewhere.” She leaned in and whispered into his ear. “And I was hoping you’d come along.” 

“Where?” 

Mommy put on a what-she-hoped-was-cute half smile and looked him in the eyes. “We’re going to Astoria.” 

Edited by mail-mi

The Traveler covered for his insane girlfriend, "She'll get started on that list," he said. "Just….give her a moment." Altermind had his illusion nod, but inside he was furious. Why waste time fussing over regular humans? And what did it matter if Voidgaze had a boyfriend? Wait, Voidgaze was dating Big Al, the sausage guy? Something was definitely cracked with her too. Altermind took the internet expression too literally and actually put his face in his palm. Why did he get all the crazy ones?

The only benefit he could see was that he didn't have to live in that floating museum of nutheads and creeps. Not a soul there was intelligent enough to deserve a spot in Thoughttown, save Trattner and the professor, if he wasn't obviously losing his mind. When Traveler joined the conversation, slightly rebuking the hippie, Altermind gave up and sat down on his armchair to wait this out. After a couple minutes, he decided to grab their attention. He created a hallucination of lightning striking his desk, complete with thunderclap and brief color-changing flames. "Have you had enough, Funtimes? I'm sure these girls will be around to gossip and exchange juicy kissing secrets in an hour. When our business is concluded, you have my leave to chat as much as you want with them," he said, giving his voice the surround sound treatment. "If you haven't noticed, this city is at war, and I am going to do my damnedest to see that we win. Are you going to help?"

• 2 weeks later...

glitterunicorn_zps3b42a6d0.gif

An enormously loud thunderclap with a flash of lightning startled Funtimes out of pleasant thoughts about Blueberry and Muffin skipping through a field of blueberry muffins. Once Altermind had stolen her attention, he held it for a minute with flickering flames that danced on his desk in all sorts of pretty colors. 

"Have you had enough, Funtimes?" His voice boomed all around the room, brimming with anger that set her teeth on edge. "I'm sure these girls will be around to gossip and exchange juicy kissing secrets in an hour."

Buttface. 

"When our business is concluded, you have my leave to chat as much as you want with them."

Stupy-stupid bossy buttface. 

"If you haven't noticed, this city is at war, and I am going to do my damnedest to see that we win. Are you going to help?"

No, Funtimes wanted to say. Not because she didn't want to help him. Not because she didn't want to spend the day in Thoughttown, watching all the pretty people and making fun weapons. Not because she wanted to go back to Lighty Lightwards and his stupid face. 

She wanted to say no because it would hurt him. 

But she couldn't. Not yet. For now, she needed him happy, and calling him a meanie buttface would make him the opposite of happy. 

Still. She couldn't let him win like that. 

With a smile, she released Blueberry; and with a giggle, she pranced toward him. The pretty flames were gone now, which made her like him a little bit less. She leaned forward, resting her elbows on his desk, and turned her smile on him. 

"'Course I'm going to help, you beepy beeperton." Spying some paperclips, she waved a hand over, melding most of them into one paperclip the size of her fist. Wires and a sound box were added on the sly. "I like to be a helper, if you like having a helper." 

She giggled again as the giant paperclip sprouted googly eyes and a self-satisfied smile. 

"Give me that list and I'll be the helpiest helper you ever helped. Or who helped you." Another giggle as the paperclip, lying flat on Altermind's desk, turned its eyes on him. But it didn't speak. Not yet. 

Not unless Altermind gave her a reason. 

Funtimes lifted one foot, twirling it through the air so Altermind could admire her blinky sock. "Helpy helper, that's me." 

red_pic_by_pir2h-d8ajg02.png

“Calm, Red." Nighthound said. Red immediately went limp.

“First I want you to do something for me and then it’s reward time." Mmm... Red thought with a smile. What a treat. I wonder what it is. "You’d agree that we can’t just let Neverthere do what she wants, right? That’s why I want you to track her down.”

"Of course not."

Tracking her down. Finally. She cast her mind to the heartbeat. She heard a huge number of the phantom heartbeats from Neverthere, but there was one which matched and... there... she found it.

She grabbed the map she had shoved in her pocket yesterday and wrote using her own blood over it, labeling the most direct route to Neverthere's lair. 

"Here." She offered Nighthound the map. "There she is." Please... please... reward... he said a reward... please? She offered a hopeful smile. 

She also dried the blood to make it stick to the map, quickly. "Anything else you need?" She smiled. 

A simple calm from Nighthound was enough to have Red go limp like a doll within his arms, a docile smile plastered across her face. She really was an adorable one. He’d have to teach her a few cues on how to properly please him and she’d turn into quite a valuable piece of property.

Once he finished his orders to her, she concentrated for a bit and obediently pulled out a map, on which she made a quick set of notes, using her own blood. Then she offered it to him, looking as excited as a puppy wanting to be praised, all she was missing was a tail to wiggle around.

Nighthound felt a slight urge to just let her standing and watch her smile drop but he wouldn’t get anything from that bejond a slight sense of dominance. He still let her wait a bit, while he studied the map. It was straightforward; a simple and direct route to what he assumed was Neverthere’s hideout. He’d enjoy the little meeting he was going to set up for them. Hopefully, she wasn’t using her projections to pretty herself up that would be an utter shame.

Memorizing the map as best as he could, he packed it away into his clothes, he should make sure to not show it to anyone. With that he petted her on top of her head and slowly moved his hand down to caress her cheek.

“Well done, Red.” Nighthound said, while leaning in on her. Playing a bit to her fetishes, he bit down on her lower lip, just hard enough to draw blood. He sucked the blood from it in something resembling a kiss. After several seconds he released her, “Now, I still have some work to do, before I have the time to give you any grand rewards but I’m willing to listen to requests. Otherwise, I still have the time to give you some of the love and attention you still deserve.” Still caressing her cheek, Nighthound moved his free hand down her side, until it came to rest on her hips.

• 2 weeks later...

CorpseMaker.JPG

Corpsemaker looked over the map of Portland. Detailed plans were scrawled in pen all over it, lines, arrows, and crosses signifying troops movements and objectives littered the city. Small markers and pins represented all known locations and Epic or conventional military strength. It was time to begin phase one of his plan- staking his claim. This city was his- and it was time to make sure that everyone in Portland, Epic or otherwise, knew it.

"Bring my Epics and my human generals to me." Several toy soldiers saluted, expressions blank, and they hurried off to obey. 

Corpsemaker returned to his map, glancing at pages of planning that surrounded it. It was like a giant chessboard, this city, or the map of a strategy game. Risk, perhaps. His toys were armed and ready, and his Epics had all been tested and hardened in the fires of battle. As far as he knew, only Thoughttown had any sizeable military, and they were mere humans- he could have Toymaker churn out never-ending streams of soldiers and robots. Victory was assured, once the populace and the other factions accepted his Dominion.

Corpsemaker waited patiently for his allies to attend him.

0016d8e0-121e-47c5-8167-7d290623fb11_zps

Altermind clenched his teeth, watching the giggles transition to a grim face at his words. He waited for Funtimes's decision. She'd either snap and kill everyone here or she'd agree to help. He hoped for the second, but distanced himself more from his illusion just in case. After a minute of silence, her giggles resurfaced and Funtimes skipped to his desk. She leaned in close to his illusion and smiled wide. Altermind stepped a bit closer to make sure he could hear what she said. 

"'Course I'm going to help, you beepy beeperton." A what?! Sparking woman didn't even have any real curse words to use. "I like to be a helper, if you like having a helper." She formed some of his paperclips into a larger one, with a smile and eyes. Something about it triggered something in Altermind's memory. His eyebrows crinkled a bit as he looked at it, grasping for the memory. Ah! He remembered being a child and playing on his family's old desktop, Windows 98 running much slower than anything now. He remembered typing words, thrilled at how he could make his thoughts write themselves. A goofy looking paperclip would pop up and give him suggestions every once in a while, asking him if he needed help. He had never needed help. Idiot programming thought it could help him. 

"Give me that list and I'll be the helpiest helper you ever helped. Or who helped you." Funtimes's voice brought him back to the moment. Clippy laid down on the desk, watching Altermind's illusion. Altermind swore the eyes followed his illusion completely, every movement tracked by his googly eyes. "Helpy helper, that's me." 

Altermind shook himself out of the trance. "Thank you, Funtimes. I appreciate it," he said. "First off, would you mind raising this building off the ground like you did to your museum? It doesn't need to be quite so high, a couple meters should do it." Altermind plastered a sickly sweet smile on his illusion's face. He needed to tread carefully. This woman was obviously unstable and could snap at any moment. She had seemed to like his fire, so he gave her and her entourage illusions of colorful fire dancing across the ceiling. 

97a33163-565c-4146-9993-1524b1d7e180_zps

Streetwise sat in his chair, idly examining his city, his mind drifting from place to place as he tried to gauge the cities mood as a whole.

He hadn't been allowed to Upgrade yet this morning so he was restricted to one place at a time. He longed to have that power again but he did have to admit, searching this way was certainly more relaxing, rather than having to sort through an entire cities worth of information all he had to do was-

He cocked his head curiously for a moment.

Something inside the Dominions base was... off.

He hadn't even meant to search there but his thoughts on Upgrade had pulled his mind towards the location and there he noticed something.

Someone was inside one of the walls. They felt different than how people normally felt, somehow insubstantial. An immaterial Epic? Or a projector? Either way it was dangerous.

"The boss will definitely want to hear about this." He mused, rising out of his seat to tell him, hoping that his prestige would range even higher from this latest discovery. He had been embarrassed yesterday by not noticing the Reckoners cell inside his own city but he would show the Boss that Streetwise knew everything.

Just as he reached for the door it opened, one of the toy soldiers entered the room and informed him that Corpsemaker was summoning everyone anyway.

Perfect chance, now they'll all see how useful I am.

Kije5gRiq_zps9304d280.png

MV walked along the streets with Backtrack, they'd had to abandon the car once the streets began to fill with people. Most people in Portland just didn't drive anymore and so the streets were used freely by pedestrians.

The shadow of the giant floating museum shaded her face as they reached it, she shuddered as she remembered what had happened last time she had entered and her hand fluttered at her side as though to grab Backtracks but she brought it back and held it stiffly.

What are you doing Megan? Her inner voice scolded. He's just an idiot with some useless powers and besides what would he think of you if you just grabbed his hand because you were scared of another Epic, that's so pathetic.

Her only response to her inner voice, sounding as always like Impact scolding her, was a groan as she realized something.

"Neither of us have a way to get up there." MV pointed out as she and Backtrack stopped beneath the museum.

The giant diamond structure from the day before was gone and that shadow Epic wasn't here to make a lift either.

"Great plan." She said, glancing sideways at Backtrack before punching him in the shoulder. "I don't suppose you have any ideas?"

He looked at her somewhat bewildered.

Huh, his eyes are different without the glasses. Kind of cute. But the glasses were cool.

MV realized where her train of thought was going and shut her mouth as her now almost ever-present blush crept up on her again.

Stupid!

After having come to a satisfying conclusion with Red, Nighthound set out to prepare for his day trip. Before actually leaving the museum he returned to his sister and the other two girls. C4 was simply slumped against a tree, while Ray glared at Lucentia, who was going on about… that one time he used her to essentially buy up an entire casino, he hadn't expected her to bring that story up again. Things were much better before the economy collapsed. Not that they were completely innocent in that entire affair, after flooding the market with diamonds and they could only get rid of those again under so many circumstances to keep any business credibility.

As he approached Lucentia stopped her detailing of the vital role she had in that story and turned to him. “I see you’ve left the scab behind,” she said.

“Yes, I imagine she’s a bit tired right now. On the upside, I had her figure out where our current POI is located first.”

On that his sister raised a curious eyebrow, “At least that’s something. I imagine you already have the needed preparations in mind?”

“More or less,” Nighthound took a moment to consider the details. The basic idea was simple enough, get to Neverthere’s hideout, kidnap her and force her to make good on her promises. Of course, she most likely had some kind of defenses set, if only to give her the time needed to escape, but he should be able work around that with hounds. With some luck, he might even be able to make the attack appear to not be his doing, have them raid some the neighboring houses to make it seem they only knew her location vaguely. Granted, then he’d also need some costuming to hide the marks of his power but that should be easy enough to organize. With how much he’s gearing up already he could also pack a bit of extra firepower, in case she got some kind of Epic to guard the place. Heck, they wouldn’t even have to know about it; just have them be drawn out by the commotion caused. His mind wandered to C4, lacing the insides of his hounds with explosives should do nicely in case anyone interfered but even with the state that she’s already in, he wouldn’t want leave her alone and risk an escape.

“Actually,” Nighthound said to his sister, “if you’re willing to help, I’d only have to make a short trip to fetch some equipment I already prepared and we’d be ready to do this.”

“Then we should take care of this matter without delay.” With that Lucentia headed for the edge, a mass of diamond already springing forth from her crawling toward the exit to form their way down. As far Nighthound could tell, his sister couldn’t wait to have Neverthere under her thumb.  

Signaling C4 to follow him with a whistle and laid his arm around Ray’s waist, forcing her to come along as well. Ignoring the elbow she rammed into his stomach he told her, “Don’t worry Ray, I won’t work you very hard on this. I just wouldn’t want to miss your company any longer.”

It seems that his company was only worth a string of curses to her and that’s one of the reasons he loved her so much.

With them being in the sky it took a while for the diamond pillar to form and reach the ground. Once it was completed the four of them stepped upon the platform on its top and descended within the pillar’s walls. Nighthound allowed Ray to rip herself away from him, by easing up his grip on her. In her usual manner she whirled around trying to stab him. He pushed her hand away, moving both of their arms up and away from their bodies, leaving his side open. Ray took the opportunity and kicked him in the rips. Following through, Nighthound immediately snapped his arm back down, grabbing her leg and pulling her off balance. With her hanging in his grip, Nighthound moved his free hand along the inside of her leg.

“I thought so before but you really have wonderful legs, you know?” Nighthound mused. “Just the right amount of muscle.”  

Ray formed an energy lance to push herself up and stable herself. Having regained her balance she kicked his arm away. Once she managed to get on her feet again, Nighthound slipped behind her back, tightly wrapping his arms around her. Furiously, Ray trashed around and formed another lance that punched into the ground and threw them back against the diamond wall of the tower. Nighthound simply tightened his grip around her and pulled her down to the ground with him, after they crashed into the wall, forcing her to sit on his lap.

Continuing like that, Nighthound played with her, until they reached the ground.

Altermind watched as Funtimes merged a few hundred paperclips into one, staring at the result. Big, half-lidded eyes. A small, smug smile. His expression remained impassive, his true skill as an illusionist on full display. It was the same as any other standoff between Epics—only instead of death, Funtimes threatened him with a giant paperclip. 

Nathan watched and waited, his thoughts wandering. 

Is Voidgaze close to snapping? 

Hope Altermind doesn't. 

Or Funtimes. Oh God, please don't let her snap.

Looks like he's not mad, but there's only so much you can see through an illusion.

Is Altermind wearing pants? 

It was a question that occurred frequently when Nathan met illusionists who weren't trying to kill him. He could see the logic in wearing pants, despite the power to create them; Oregon was chilly this time of year, and with the rain he'd seen, it would make sense to cover up. But then again, if you could simply make everyone think you were wearing a three-piece suit….why bother? There had to be a certain pleasure in attending a meeting with the fate of an entire city on the line—and being the only one who knew you weren't dressed for the occasion, because you weren't dressed at all. 

"Thank you, Funtimes, I appreciate it." Altermind's illusion suddenly wore a smooth and polished smile. Too smooth. Too polished. "First off, would you mind raising this building off the ground like you did to your museum? It doesn't need to be quite so high, a couple meters should do it."

He really doesn't like that paperclip. 

Fire danced across the ceiling, flickering with blues and greens, reds and purples. Funtimes looked up, saw the fire, and clapped her hands. 

And then she skipped off to the edge of Altermind's office, set herself on the floor, and spread her palms on the carpet. The sounds of a changing, cracking foundation were slower this time, what with the larger building, but they still followed a few minutes later. 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

• 2 weeks later...

3e4ac75ab1c26bc1a1911ed913e0cac5.gif3e4ac75ab1c26bc1a1911ed913e0cac5.gif

The man looked angry, his teeth gritted and his eyes clenched shut as he nodded. But he did nod. For all his anger, self preservation won out in the end. It always did.

I wonder if he's as afraid of me as he is of Funtimes.

Frowning at the unwelcome thought, Lightwards gestured at his Warriors to return the man's valuables. One by one they stepped forward, dumping armfuls of confiscated garbage in front of the bleeding Epic. A battered Star Wars helmet. A unicycle. A dirty set of bagpipes. All junk, but the man stared at them with greedy eyes.

Lightwards knelt before him, grabbing his face and forcing him to look him in the eyes.

"I give to you your powers," he said softly, letting the words sink in. "I hold them but return them to you. I own a portion of your soul. Bear this in mind when you take up arms, and know that if you betray me, I will have whatever's left of you dumped into the Willamette within the hour."

He unhanded the man and straightened himself, turning and walking away down a forest path. "Equip yourself and follow us. You will be used in the day's crusade."

Aldo and his assistant followed, until Lightwards stopped in a forest clearing beyond the Unicyclist's view. A pair of raptors began drifting around him, unfocused as the necromancer considered his next move.

"It would grow tiresome," he said finally, leaning against one of Funtimes' fake trees, "to have my pterosaurs bring you to and fro the Museum for our excursions. Do the pair of you have your own ways of reaching the ground, short of falling?"

Cricket nodded lazily. "I can get up from any fall. Can't really carry anyone, though. I tend to drop them."

The magician smiled, twirling a leaf he'd plucked from a branch. In his fingers the leaf continually swelled and shrunk again, sometimes so slowly it could hardly be perceived and sometimes fast enough to move at a blur.

"I can do better than that," he said with a chuckle. "Would you care to join me for a plumbing inspection?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While most of the Museum had been transformed into a Jurassic forest, the basement remained unaltered. It was dark and musty, and the beam of Aldo's inexplicably produced flashlight illuminated thick clouds of dust rising from between tightly-packed shelving units.

The one aspect that Lightwards suspected as a new development was the loud humming that filled the air, a sound somewhere between a rattling air conditioner and a jet turbine. The flashlight's beam searched until it found the source of the noise--a constantly vibrating lump in the floor made of solid metal plates. There were plates of a different color on either side of it, from which emitted a gentler, but still loud, humming.

"This is the top of the turbine," Aldo shouted cheerfully over the noise. "Underneath this floor there's nothing but open air and spinning rotors."

"I thought Funtimes used gravatonics," Lightwards responded just as loudly, tempted to plug his ears from the noise. Calamity, why didn't this infernal noise rise up to the forest level?

"She does," Aldo affirmed, patting the turbine plating. "The gravatonics counteract gravity, while the rotor keeps the Museum suspended."

"How do you know all this?"

"I don't," the magician grinned, "I'm largely guessing. I've never seen an apparatus like this before--our friend the Doctor is something of a genius."

Lightwards huffed in irritation.  "How does this relate to getting to the ground?"

Aldo only smiled in the dim lighting, kneeling to touch one sheet of metal flooring to the side of the turbine top. His fingers moved across a few screws, shrinking them and pulling them out of the ground. He lifted the plates themselves, revealing the vibrant blue glow of... something.

The magician's hand touched the glowing gravatonic component, and everything lurched.

Lightwards lost his footing as he stumbled into a wall, the whole floor beneath him slanting dramatically in one direction. Shelves toppled, spilling priceless boxes of delicate fossils to the ground. Boards creaked even over the thrumming over the rotors, as if the entire Museum was slowly being tipped on its side in mid-air.

"Are you insane?" Lightwards shouted, puling himself steady.

"Quite!" Aldo laughed, clambering along the slanted floor to the other side of the hump. "But intent on living, I assure you!"

The Epic worked quickly, unscrewing more of the plates and performing the same magic on each of them. The Museum lurched and jerked in the air, slanting first in one direction and then the other, before the floor became flat again and the only sensation was of a general downwards whooshing. The humming and thrumming was substantially less loud now, to the point that Lightwards could just about hear his thumping heart.

"There we go," Aldo proclaimed, wiping a bit of sweat off his brow. "The gravatonics are simple enough that all it takes to weaken them is to shrink them." He yanked up a bit of flooring, shrank it to the size of a splinter, and peered through the hole in the ground at the open air outside. "We'll be close enough to the ground to disembark safely in a minute, and then we can go about our day's activities without trouble."

Lightwards took a few deep breaths, steadying himself and fighting off a rising case of motion sickness as he glared at his new lieutenant. "Next time," he hissed quietly, "Warn me before nearly knocking my fortress out of the sky."

Aldo bowed. "Of course," he said brightly. "Though this fortress was never in any danger, mind you. All I have done is to, shall we say, hack the controls that the Doctor made for herself."

That made Lightwards pause, feeling his anger subside as he pondered the significance of this.

I now have control over the Museum. I no longer need Funtimes or Lucentia merely to travel to and fro my abode.

Finally, he gave a tight smile, straightened his bowler hat, and began walking out of the basement. "You have done good work, Aldo. Meet me on the street outside the Museum when you are finished... landing."

Aldo tipped his own hat with a smile. "Yes, your majesty. I am only glad to have been of service."

The Museum slowed in its drop, and began to hover a mere dozen feet above the crumbled asphalt ground.

Edited by Kobold King

CorpseMaker.JPG

Blackhood takes black

Voidus is red as usual.

mail-mi is green

Twi is purple.
Mailliw here.

Corpsemaker looked up from his maps, as his human captains and his Epics filed into the room. Soon, nearly two dozen people filled the room, crowding around the table.

He nodded at them, holding their gaze for several seconds. Some of the captains flinched away, looking downwards. As did some of the Epics. Finally, the ruler of the Dominion spoke.

“Thank you all for coming. I will now reveal the next phase of my plan, now that we have amassed a sizeable force.” He swept his hand across the map of Portland. “Phase Two begins today: Shock and Awe. This city is mine… but its inhabitants, and the opposing Epic factions do not realise it yet. Within a few hours I want mechs and vehicles with microphones in every part of the city, proclaiming a message I will record. They will play the message as loud as possible, and travel across the city so that all can hear it. A force of soldiers will guard every one. This message will, hopefully, convince the people and Epics of Portland that swearing allegiance to me is the best option for their continued survival. Secondly, the mere act of projecting strength across the city will prove that I own it. Obviously, Thoughttown will be the only part of the city that we cannot go… yet. I still want the message proclaimed over its walls, though.”

“Next, I will begin touring the city in a convoy of mechs and tanks, with Electro and our newest ally Collaborate as my personal bodyguards.” He turned his steely gaze to Collaborate for a few seconds. “He will also be in charge of the convoy militarily, second only to me. Do not feel slighted, though, this is purely to take advantage of his power.”

“This convoy will also visit a number of locations, such as my coffee shop, where I will grant them my special protection and assign a pair of toy soldiers to guard the premises as a show of force. Any Epic, ally or no, that interferes with one of these establishments or any of its staff will face my wrath. This will incentivise people to serve me especially well, and demonstrate my generosity.”

“Of course, recruiting will still go on, Murphy, I want you to follow Collaborate’s directions to the headquarters of this…. Minor Epic Empire, and give them one last chance to swear allegiance or die. If they refuse…. well, then they will be the final stop for my convoy. Streetwise, I want you to listen to see if you can find any other useful neutral Epics for Timeport to visit. Quota and Upgrade, I have a special job for you.” He smiled. “You two will work together, and we will see just how powerful Quota can become when his powers are Upgraded. You may be able to affect the entire city, and a blanket of awe and dread would increase the impact of my message considerably. The rest of you will stay here, and defend the armoury.”

“Any questions?”

“Boss?” Streetwise volunteered, tentatively raising a hand into the air. “I saw… something earlier when I was keeping an eye on the base.”

He stopped mid-speech as he realized something, the woman could be watching them here as well. Her head wasn’t poking out of any walls but that didn’t mean much.

“It’s er.. in my report, I think it’s best not to discuss it out loud.”

He slid the piece of paper over to Corpsemaker, it listed what he’d been able to see of the woman, along with the location of someone who looked exactly like her and his conclusion that this was probably some kind of projection Epic like Regalia, the location being where her real body was.

Corpsemaker frowned, scanning the report. This must be the same intangible Epic that Electro, Timeport and Quota reported seeing riding a dinosaur last night. The dinosaur implied that she was an ally of the Empire…. but if they knew where her real body was….

He smiled. “Excellent work, Streetwise.” He took out a pen and scribbled on the bottom of the report. “Timeport, I want you to try and recruit Chimera again, and take a mech with you this time, to get there in a timely manner.” Corpsemaker handed Timeport the note, smiling evilly.

Pay this astral projector a visit, not Chimera. Bring her back alive if possible, but dead if necessary. Reply in writing.

I....what?!

Timeport grinned his trademark grin. He took out a pencil and responded,You mean, I get to go get the hot chick in her actual body, and I get to take any mech I want and bring her back here? Yes please! He lowered his gaze just slightly, looking at the ground in front of him as he handed Corpsemaker back the note and said “You wouldn’t object to anything... frisky happening once I’ve gotten the target, yes? I promise it won’t take too long.”

Quota knew by the sudden outpouring of glee that CorpseMaker had made Timeport the offer he’d been waiting for. Peering over his shoulder allowed him to glimpse a few words--more than enough to figure what was going on.

Calamity, he thought, why does Timeport get the best job?

“Think he’ll need a hand?” Quota asked. His plans for the sparkly teleporter could wait. This job was bound to be more fun.

Electro raised his hand a bit. “I could go as a guard. I wouldn't mind the trip.” He had more range than the others.

Corpsemaker raised an eyebrow at Timeport’s request. Others chimed in as well, and he responded to each in turn. “If Chimera accepts our request this time, then no, but if he provides any trouble…. punish him as you see fit. But remember, I want the target serving us, by choice or by force. Nothing debilitating.”

“I would normally allow you to go, Quota, but I am afraid that you will be far more useful today projecting your powers over the city. After today though people should have received the message, and you will be free to do as you like.”

He considered Electro’s request. Timeport probably wouldn’t need help though, not with some astral projector with likely no other powers. But if he were being sent after Chimera, it would be logical to send Electro as well. How clever was this little spy?

He made his decision. “Very well Electro, Timeport might need help against Chimera, so you can go as well. But you will be back here in time for my convoy to depart, understood?”

“Sir, yes, sir,” Electro saluted, grinning at Timeport. This'd be fun.

Corpsemaker looked around. "Anymore questions?" Silence and shaken heads greeted him.

"Excellent. Move out."

• 1 month later...

Funtimes... didn't kill everyone in sight. She might be too sugar-addled to take stock of the infraction. Or, she might be saving punishment for later. But at least, for now, whatever irritation Revolution tried and failed to hide, she still didn't meet the grisly demise her name seemingly destined her for.

Of course, the sugary description of the Epic in white's Epic boyfriend might have been considered punishment enough. Sam's mental list of facts about Voidgaze's boyfriend tripled within the next couple of sentences, though she suspected her list ultimately looked a lot different than the one Voidgaze kept in her head.

Name like the henchman in an old crime movie.

Is considerate, which probably means he lays his coat down over vanilla's blood puddles for his girlfriend to walk over.

Is probably why everything in Thoughttown smells faintly of pork while people go hungry outside.

Addendum to #1: the dumb henchman. Name like the dumb henchman in a crime movie, not the streetwise and clever one.

Regardless, she smiled and nodded at Voidgaze's gushing description. If Revolution's transgression had only barely avoided punishment, then telling Epic Bonnie that Clyde was a slontze probably wouldn't end very well. Best to save the snark for Epics Funtimes didn't like.

"No, gush all you like," Sam said with a smile. We can't stop you.  "He sounds wonderful."

A thought suddenly occurred to her. She was talking to a Thoughttown Epic. A chatty one who'd been present when the first shots of an inter-Epic war rang out the other night. This was a chance to get some street info. Street info that, maybe, could be cashed into the Bank of Funtimes in exchange for a mouthy hippie's life.

"So," Sam began, keeping her voice purposely casual. "Is Big Al the person you had to protect in the trouble last night? The trouble with the bad people?"

100x100-white-2.png

The comfortable warm feeling of their girls talk was slipped away from Voidgaze for a moment as Altermind’s desk erupted into lightning and flames, pretty color changing flames but flames none the least. She got the feeling that he wasn’t very pleased with them having their conversation here in his office or maybe he just wanted to do business with Funtimes. He did listen to them for a while. Maybe he actually had a soft spot for the love story talk.

"If you haven't noticed, this city is at war, and I am going to do my damnedest to see that we win. Are you going to help?"

But probably he just wanted to actually get some work done and they wore down his patience. That’s what comes from too much of her rambling.

One way or another it caused Funtimes to release her from her hugging and instead skip over to Altermind’s desk. At least Funtimes was still smiling, so she didn’t seem to take all that bad to the need to postpone their talk. Whatever changes Altermind wanted Funtimes to do on Thoughttown wasn’t exactly a topic that Voidgaze would be able to add much on but maybe she later could get her to also take a look at her house?

For a moment she watched the paperclip figure that Funtimes created, it was oddly cute in its own way, until Sam decided to continue their conversation. There was no reason for them to just stand around while Funtimes does her thing after all. "So, is Big Al the person you had to protect in the trouble last night? The trouble with the bad people?"

“Yes, well partially,” Voidgaze answered happy at the chance to continue the conversation with her friend, “I mean of course I made sure that he’s safe, who wouldn’t, and it’s good that I did when I did because someone was about to strangle him but that didn’t just stop the trouble. There were still soldiers fighting that I couldn’t just abandon so I went out there again. You know, try to keep as many people alive as possible. I’m sure you would have done the same, right?” She asked with a wide smile.

Edited by Edgedancer

• 1 month later...

“Yes, well partially,” sang the creature known as Voidgaze. “I mean of course I made sure that he’s safe, who wouldn’t, and it’s good that I did when I did because someone was about to strangle him but that didn’t just stop the trouble. There were still soldiers fighting that I couldn’t just abandon so I went out there again. You know, try to keep as many people alive as possible. I’m sure you would have done the same, right?”

No, because if I'd interfered both sides would have stopped duking it out to execute me on the spot. You self-righteous holier-than-thou pile of...

"Of course," Sam said, laughing forcefully. Revolution gave her a funny look, but it looked like Voidgaze was still too caught up fancying herself as Portland's patron saint to notice anything off about her act.

Hmm... maybe Voidgaze's delusion was also her blind spot.

"But then, I don't think I could do as much as you could," she continued cautiously. "There would have been other Epics there, right? It takes someone like you to protect people from that."

100x100-white-2.png

Did Voidgaze just imagine it or did Sam look really uncomfortable for a moment? Did Revolution see it as well? Thoughts of the soldiers that got injured… or worse creeped into her mind. Who wouldn’t feel discomfort at something like that? Yet, Voidgaze hadn’t really dwelled on it, had she? She had managed to keep the people close to her save, helped all the soldiers she came across, maybe even most of the ones involved… but that wasn’t everything, was it?

Calamity, she was terrible at looking at the bigger picture.

Until only a couple of days ago the only experience with violence she had was someone breaking into her house for some sparking reasons she wouldn’t even try to understand. After she had dealt with them there was no bigger picture she had to care for, unless anyone counted the cleaning and repairs afterwards but those didn’t even compare to injured people… or well injured innocents.

Even if she couldn’t agree with working with people like the Empire, Altermind was right that this did need to end, fast. To keep down causalities, if nothing else.

She snapped back to the situation when Sam continued talking, “What do you mean?” Voidgaze asked while cocking her head to the side a bit. “I mean sure there are more Epics in Thoughttown, although I didn’t really have the time to get to know them yet, but that has fairly little to do with keeping others safe, does it? I mean Disparo for example; did you still see her by the way? She’s was the tan woman that left with Big Al and Cartwright. She asked if we she can work together with me and I think we should involve her into our girls talk the next chance we get. Anyway, Disparo really helped me out yesterday, so I don’t think you should look down on yourself.”

mail-mi’s green.

Mailliw is blue

download_zpsa345792a.jpg4370d946-9d3a-4f1f-b4fd-6ce4919b24aa_zps

Timeport clutched the note with the astral projector’s address in one hand and controlled his mech with the other. It was unfortunate, but to take the mech he had to leave his battle axe behind. So worth it. He blinked forward, teleporting instead of walking, like always, always hesitating for a moment between blinks so that Electro’s mech could keep up. With each blink, he felt like rocketing in front of Electro; the sneaky voice in his head saying You don’t need a “guard,” Timeport. You can do this yourself. In fact, why don’t you just get rid of the competition now? Electro is gone, and the girl is yours. You can take her back to Corpsemaker and follow your mission--with no impediments.

He looked at Electro as he caught up to Timeport once again. Well, I could... but no. Corpsemaker wouldn’t be very happy, and he won’t believe any excuse I give him. Blinking a few more times, Timeport turned to see a confused Electro that was trying to turn down a street toward Chimera’s zoo.

Oh yeah.

“Electro! Do you really think Corpsemaker and I would pass notes just for funsies? We’re not going to Chimera’s zoo at all.”

Electro was thrilled at the prospect of using his powers again. Chimera had always been left alone, as his animal army posed a threat to most humans. But for Electro, they only gave him a better challenge. Timeport called back to Electro as he turned down the street to the zoo, saying that they weren’t going to the zoo at all.

“Then where are we going?” Electro asked.

“Remember that hot girl we met the other day?” After I got eaten. That still amazed him--dinosaurs!!! In Portland!!! “The one we couldn't touch at all? We’re gonna go get her real body.”

The crazy one? Sure, she was attractive, in a bubbly schoolgirl kind of way, but hot? Definitely not. Electro found himself again wondering if Timeport was the best companion. His taste in women was definitely lacking. Then again, free girls were always a plus. Electro grinned slightly.

“Oh, that one! Do you have dibs then?” He asked. Electro just wanted one chance at her. Then Timeport could do whatever he wanted.

Do I have dibs? Um, duh? “Obviously, considering Corpsemaker gave me the mission.” Timeport teleported his mech closer to Electro. “Unless, of course you want to fight me for her.”

Fight him? For that girl? “Naw, she’s not really my type. But if you’ll let me have one shot at her, I’ll take it.” Electro smiled right at Timeport, ready to Scramble him if this conversation went worse.

Timport pursed his lips within his Mech, then smiled back at Electro. “One shot, then she’s mine.” He felt like he needed to shake Electro’s hand or something, but considering that the mechs were in the way of that--and the fact that Timeport didn’t want to be electrocuted--he ignored the feeling and began porting down to the girl’s address.

Some time later, Timeport stopped and waited for Electro to catch up to him (like always). “This is her street,” Timeport said, pointing down one side of the T intersection that they’d come to. “We need to get in, get through any traps or other powers she might have, and get out.” Then, you get your “one shot,” and I get my time with her. “Ready?”

Sparking Timeport always had to show off his teleporting and time power combo by beating Electro everywhere. He never could arrive before the cocky ax-wielding caveman. His powers weren’t even weapons, just accessories. If Timeport had grown up in the streets, he’d be much more accustomed to fighting. Take away their powers and Electro knew he’d be able to beat Timeport easily. It wouldn’t take more than a moment.

As Electro caught up at the intersection, Timeport relayed the most redundant message Electro had ever heard. He understood how this would work. “Duh. Let’s go.”

CorpseMaker.JPG

Corpsemaker nodded as a captain gave his report. He looked over his assembled mechs, from the roof of the armoury, at dozens of robots, piloted either by advanced AI or a toy soldier. They were all different shapes and sizes- some barely more than exoskeletons, most as tall as buildings or even taller. Rockets glinted in the daylight, shining gun barrels were raised high in salute, and newly affixed megaphones betrayed the purpose of their mission.

"And so my lord, we are ready to march at your command." The captain finished, saluting.

Corpsemaker smiled. Everything was beginning to coalesce. Quota had begun projecting awe and fear into the hearts and minds of most Portlanders. His convoy was assembled, waiting for him to take the lead. His Epics were spread out, recruiting or threatening more support for his growing army. Nothing was going to stop him.

"Excellent work, commander." Corpsemaker raised his voice. "My messengers! Move out!" 

At his word, the scores of assembled mechs began moving in unison, and the ground trembled as they, in twos and threes, exited the main gate.

And began to broadcast his message across Portland.