Ideas about A-Electrum F Chromium Twinborn

Mistchemist16

Seeing these discussions about random twin orbs, I had an idea of one Twinborn concept that seemed like a good fit for Era 3. We haven’t seen really any of the Spiritual Feruchemy in action or a proper usage of A-Elecrtum. So a combo that could be neat is A-Electrum and F-Chromium. The former gives you short range but probably more precise future sight, while the latter does more long term prediction. I also think they’d probably have interesting synergy, kinda like how Wax can manipulate his Steelpushes with weight shifting. I imagine that this Twinborn could probably direct their shadows far better than any other Oracle.  Maybe tapping Fortune makes the electrum shadows less chaotic. You might even be able to guide electrum shadows without recalling thinking about it, which would achieve an Atium like effect for yourself. As for Resonance, my favorite idea is “detaching” an electrum shadow and having one travel around doing stuff, guided by Fortune. I’d call this Twinborn a Diviner. But I’m also curious about what else it could do. Based on what we know of Electrum and Fortune, does this combo seem like it would work well? What sort of ways could you use its future sight? 

Edited by Mistchemist16

8 hours ago, Mistchemist16 said:

Seeing these discussions about random twin orbs, I had an idea of one Twinborn concept that seemed like a good fit for Era 3. We haven’t seen really any of the Spiritual Feruchemy in action or a proper usage of A-Elecrtum. So a combo that could be neat is A-Electrum and F-Chromium. The former gives you short range but probably more precise future sight, while the latter does more long term prediction. I also think they’d probably have interesting synergy, kinda like how Wax can manipulate his Steelpushes with weight shifting. I imagine that this Twinborn could probably direct their shadows far better than any other Oracle.  Maybe tapping Fortune makes the electrum shadows less chaotic. You might even be able to guide electrum shadows without recalling thinking about it, which would achieve an Atium like effect for yourself. As for Resonance, my favorite idea is “detaching” an electrum shadow and having one travel around doing stuff, guided by Fortune. I’d call this Twinborn a Diviner. But I’m also curious about what else it could do. Based on what we know of Electrum and Fortune, does this combo seem like it would work well? What sort of ways could you use its future sight? 

Based on how both powers work similarly, though with slight differences, I'd say that a Twinborn would with both these powers would be very interesting. I like it :)

I bet that at the very least the Twinborn could use Fortune to better read and predict their own electrum shadows, making them more competent at seeing the future; It seems that one of Fortune's biggest limitations is that it is a "gut feeling", making it difficult to accurately predict or understand why you need to do what you need to do. Electrum's biggest limitation is that you have to try and predict what happens in the future based on your shadow alone, and you don't get nearly the same kind of cognitive enhancement as with A-Atium. If you combined the two abilities though, you could instinctively understand which shadow to follow better, granting a more useful form of future-sight, and if you tapped enough Fortune it might even approach A-Atium levels of power. Maybe.

And who knows what the Resonance would be- though it would likely tie into predicting the future somehow.

8 hours ago, Mistchemist16 said:

I think there could be some cool stuff that Twinborn would be able to do. Because Fortune is more like a gut feeling, one possibility I see is tapping it when burning Electrum might make you instinctively react in a proper way to shadows, without you knowing why (as you can't process that amount of Shadows). Something like "I feel a strong need to duck right now".

The other way I see it working, it's likely that electrum is already working based on Fortune (because most future sights work that way), therefore tapping it might let you see further into the future, or filter unlikely possibilities, leaving you with less amount of shadows, which now can be process by your normal brain. In the same way, storing Fortune makes you see shorter into the future, or more shadows will appear, as the probability function of the possible future expands, and you now see very unlikely possibilities, and you can't really use all those shadows now.

Electrum can achieve the same thing as Atium, look directly into the Spiritual Realm and see the future like Elend did, but duralumin is needed. Therefore tapping Fortune would make you a bit closer to that threshold, and very likely, storing Fortune for decades, and then tapping all of it when burning electrum would make you achieve that and look straight into the Spiritual Realm like Elend.

Spoiler

Wigginns

What would a Hemalurgic spike granting atium do for an Allomancer already able to burn atium? Does it function similarly to bronze, granting enhanced atium-ing? Along this line of thought, would enhancing electrum burning via spike be of any advantage?

Brandon Sanderson

A spike of something you have would enhance your ability, giving your more strength. With atium, more strength makes for a minimal edge--the length you can push out the atium shadows. However, there's a certain breaking point where you kind of crack the whole system, peer straight into the [Spiritual Realm], and kind of have a "It's full of stars" moment.

Electrum could reach this same moment, potentially, though there's more interference to fight through. Extra strength in electrum isn't going to be terribly useful up to that point.

Alsadius

Is that what happened when atium was burned with duralumin?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Footnote: In his original response Brandon mistakenly said burning atium and duralumin would cause the Allomancer to peer into the Cognitive Realm, rather than Spiritual Realm. He has since confirmed that this was a mistake.
/r/books AMA 2015 (Aug. 1, 2015)