Summer Young Writers Program

Just a Lifetime

I figure there's a good chance some of you may find this program interesting.  I don't have any connection to it, but an acquaintance asked me to share it with any high schoolers I know who are passionate about creative writing: thecommononline.org/the-common-young-writers-program/

The Common Young Writers Program welcomes high school students passionate about creative writing to join us for two inspiring weeks dedicated to the craft of fiction. In this virtual course, students will learn and experiment with the building blocks of fiction (scene, character, plot, image) and be guided through the process of writing and revising their own short stories. Students will learn to read like a writer, by closely examining short stories published in The Common, and engage with their peers. At the end of the program, students will emerge more confident in their skills and more connected to a supportive writing community.

The program runs July 17--28.  Applications are now open, and will close on May 15.

Full and partial need-based tuition waivers are available for both levels; we hope that no student will let financial difficulty prevent them from applying. Tuition waivers will be awarded to students with strong applications who cannot attend the program without financial assistance. In the application, students will have the opportunity to briefly describe their financial circumstances and state the amount they could afford to pay, if any, if accepted into the program. No tax returns or other documentation is required.