Random Twinborn Combos: Go!

Koloss17

So. There are 17 types of Allomancers, and 17 types of Feruchemists (technically 18 if you’re counting full feruchemists and Mistborn). That means there is 289 twinborn combinations. That is way too many for anyone to theorize on, but there could be a lot of cool possibilities of twinborn that you wouldn’t expect.

So what I will be doing on this thread is randomly picking a twinborn, analyzing the potential of it, theorizing some potential resonances, making up a name for it, and giving it an arbitrary rating from 1-10.

I kind of want to mimic the style of daily posts over on Reddit, so I’ll be picking a new twinborn every day, and see how long I can keep this up. Hopefully it’ll be fun!

Well, without further ado, here’s day 1!

Random Twinborn Day 1: 

A-Tin and F-Steel

Well, this is already interesting! These two admittedly don’t have too much immediate synergy, but they are both useful in their own right.

A-tin is great for detecting others in the area, and is generally used as a sentry-type person. However, it could be quite nice in a political setting as well, enabling you to hear and see things that you normally shouldn’t be witness to. Overall a really nice ability to have, but certainly more of a background role than a front lines sort of role.

F-steel however is quite the combat role. You can certainly use it to evade being caught, but generally you would go on the offensive. Hitting others before you get hit, and evading other’s attacks, that sort of thing. The only limitation is storing, in which you are pretty useless while doing so.

Now, with both, it would actually be quite nice! When storing speed, you can act as a sentry type, and then you can basically be the ultimate spy. It’s definitely not the type of thing where you could be using both abilities at once, as the wind speeds would probably be painful, but they can be used whenever the other isn’t.

You can be snooping around, using A-Tin, but then quickly move to another location using F-Steel. Alternatively, you can act as a jack of all trades in combat, as you can listen for potential attacks when stationary, and dodge and attack quickly when moving. It would certainly take a lot of training, but it would be quite the act.

Overall, this is a very solid Twinborn combination. I could definitely see this pop up in a book, and it would be very fun to see.

Resonance: Well, I would think that with speed and heightened senses comes extra awareness and reaction time. Whether that would count as a resonance, I’m not sure. But the abilities definitely lend themselves to that.

Name: How about…a Shade/Shadow? Always listening, but you will never find them.

Rating: a solid 8/10! Not completely overpowered, but definitely not something that a non-Twinborn could easily beat.

Again, let me know your thoughts! Is there something I missed? Do you have a better name? This is already off to a fun start, and I’m excited to continue this!

11 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

So. There are 17 types of Allomancers, and 17 types of Feruchemists (technically 18 if you’re counting full feruchemists and Mistborn). That means there is 289 twinborn combinations. That is way too many for anyone to theorize on, but there could be a lot of cool possibilities of twinborn that you wouldn’t expect.

So what I will be doing on this thread is randomly picking a twinborn, analyzing the potential of it, theorizing some potential resonances, making up a name for it, and giving it an arbitrary rating from 1-10.

I kind of want to mimic the style of daily posts over on Reddit, so I’ll be picking a new twinborn every day, and see how long I can keep this up. Hopefully it’ll be fun!

Oh wow, that's a titanic effort you’re going to undertake. I respect that and eagerly awaits for more.

There are a lot of cool combinations of powers. A-electrum and F-zinc would make an effect comparable to A-Atium, finally making good use of electrum shadows, A-pewter and F-brass would have burning/freezing punches (just headlocked your opponent and freeze their brain), F-steel and A-bendalloy would be the fastest, F-gold and A-pewter would be extremely efficient when fighting, F-zinc and A-tin to process even more informations faster. Not to mention all the cool stuff Feruchemical spiritual quadrant could do. We would never see most of the Twinborn combinations, and that's sad, there is a lot of cool stuff to be explored there.

23 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Oh wow, that's a titanic effort you’re going to undertake. I respect that and eagerly awaits for more.

Well, I’m not planning on going through all 289 twinborn types, as that is way too much. But I’ll keep going at daily twinborn combos for as long as I can!

There are a lot of cool combinations of powers. A-electrum and F-zinc would make an effect comparable to A-Atium, finally making good use of electrum shadows, A-pewter and F-brass would have burning/freezing punches (just headlocked your opponent and freeze their brain), F-steel and A-bendalloy would be the fastest, F-gold and A-pewter would be extremely efficient when fighting, F-zinc and A-tin to process even more informations faster.

Ah, you see, those are all the obvious ones. My goal is to hit some of the much less obvious ones, so that we can get thinking about the other 200 or so combinations that are overlooked! But I’m sure I’ll run into the more obvious combinations if I go for long enough.

10 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

Well, I’m not planning on going through all 289 twinborn types, as that is way too much. But I’ll keep going at daily twinborn combos for as long as I can!

You can do it! I believe in you! :D 

12 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

Ah, you see, those are all the obvious ones. My goal is to hit some of the much less obvious ones, so that we can get thinking about the other 200 or so combinations that are overlooked! But I’m sure I’ll run into the more obvious combinations if I go for long enough.

Obvious and powerful. That's why I like your idea to try to explore other combinations and show they can be cool too. I've never thought of using F-steel to quickly reposition as a spy. You could just run in between guards, just like Bleeder did, and they wouldn't notice you.

1 hour ago, Koloss17 said:

randomly picking a twinborn

What's the method of randomization? Dice (maybe D20 rolled twice with extra numbers being a "reroll") or possibly an excel sheet with a random number generator (I can build one if you need it)? Some other method? The Randomness of having Tin in the first post seems. . . dubious.

1 hour ago, Koloss17 said:

17 types of Allomancers, and 17 types of Feruchemists

Are you including Era 1 Atium then? That's not a Twinborn ability, since it was removed before Twinborn were a "thing."

47 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

What's the method of randomization? Dice (maybe D20 rolled twice with extra numbers being a "reroll") or possibly an excel sheet with a random number generator (I can build one if you need it)? Some other method? The Randomness of having Tin in the first post seems. . . dubious.

I’m using a random number generator, 1-17 for an allomancy pick, 1-17 for a feruchemy pick. And yeah, I know that technically era 1 atium isn’t really a thing come Era 2, but it has both allomantic and feruchemantic properties, so I’m still utilizing it. It’s fun to wonder what hypothetical twinborn would do, even if it would not really be encountered during the time of twinborn.

If you really want to have a realistic scenario, just imagine that the person was spiked with the ability or something.

and I’ll be honest with you, the randomization on the first one was a tad skewed. Instead of randomizing from 1-17, I randomized from 1-8, only including the base 8 metals. I mostly did this to start off with an approachable one, as starting off with A-Duralumin and F-Chromium would be a rough beginning to a series.

And if it’s any consolation, I intentionally avoided anything with F-tin and a nicely synergistic allomantic ability, as this is not (yet) a post to preach F-tim from the heavens. I am also not particularly wild about A-tin, personally. Much too limited in use.

Edited by Koloss17

15 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

I’m using a random number generator, 1-17 for an allomancy pick, 1-17 for a feruchemy pick. And yeah, I know that technically era 1 atium isn’t really a thing come Era 2, but it has both allomantic and feruchemantic properties, so I’m still utilizing it. It’s fun to wonder what hypothetical twinborn would do, even if it would not really be encountered during the time of twinborn.

What about Malatium? :D 

16 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

If you really want to have a realistic scenario, just imagine that the person was spiked with the ability or something.

There is at least one Atium Misting still alive! That's still a realistic scenario.

17 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

as starting off with A-Duralumin and F-Chromium would be a rough beginning to a series.

That could be a cool thing. If A-duralumin allows for getting all attributes in metalmind without diminishing returns, tapping fortune with duralumin would make a very interesting effect. 

3 minutes ago, alder24 said:

You can just include Allomatic Malatium for now. 

Whell, I could, but then I would have to constantly feel remorse for the lack of F-Malatium.

To avoid the tears, Malatium will not be included. I sincerely apologize to Alder and anyone else that was looking forward to the inclusion of Malatium twinborn.

Just now, Koloss17 said:

Whell, I could, but then I would have to constantly feel remorse for the lack of F-Malatium.

To avoid the tears, Malatium will not be included. I sincerely apologize to Alder and anyone else that was looking forward to the inclusion of Malatium twinborn.

Apology accepted.

22 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

Well, without further ado, here’s day 1!

Random Twinborn Day 1: 

A-Tin and F-Steel

Well, this is already interesting! These two admittedly don’t have too much immediate synergy, but they are both useful in their own right.

A-tin is great for detecting others in the area, and is generally used as a sentry-type person. However, it could be quite nice in a political setting as well, enabling you to hear and see things that you normally shouldn’t be witness to. Overall a really nice ability to have, but certainly more of a background role than a front lines sort of role.

F-steel however is quite the combat role. You can certainly use it to evade being caught, but generally you would go on the offensive. Hitting others before you get hit, and evading other’s attacks, that sort of thing. The only limitation is storing, in which you are pretty useless while doing so.

Now, with both, it would actually be quite nice! When storing speed, you can act as a sentry type, and then you can basically be the ultimate spy. It’s definitely not the type of thing where you could be using both abilities at once, as the wind speeds would probably be painful, but they can be used whenever the other isn’t.

You can be snooping around, using A-Tin, but then quickly move to another location using F-Steel. Alternatively, you can act as a jack of all trades in combat, as you can listen for potential attacks when stationary, and dodge and attack quickly when moving. It would certainly take a lot of training, but it would be quite the act.

Overall, this is a very solid Twinborn combination. I could definitely see this pop up in a book, and it would be very fun to see.

Resonance: Well, I would think that with speed and heightened senses comes extra awareness and reaction time. Whether that would count as a resonance, I’m not sure. But the abilities definitely lend themselves to that.

Name: How about…a Shade/Shadow? Always listening, but you will never find them.

Rating: a solid 8/10! Not completely overpowered, but definitely not something that a non-Twinborn could easily beat.

Again, let me know your thoughts! Is there something I missed? Do you have a better name? This is already off to a fun start, and I’m excited to continue this!

I like the idea and look forward to the next post!

Honestly, after reading that post talking about potential uses for A-gold, I've started being more intrigued with the uses for the "less powerful" metals. Less known Twinborn combos seem to be a good direction for that!

Actually, now I wonder about a Twinborn of A-gold and F-chromium; if they tapped a lot of Fortune while burning to see their gold shadow, would they perhaps be able to glean more information from it?

Their Resonance would probably have to do with post-cognition mixing with pre-cognition, though I can't fathom what exactly it would be.

Random Twinborn Day 2:

A-Brass and F-Zinc

Alright, now we’re getting somewhere. These are two completely different things….almost.

So Allomantic Brass allows you to soothe and dampen emotions. You don’t get to know how present those emotions are before you soothe them, but you could certainly guess. You can be quite subtle about it, manipulating actions and what they end up saying, so it is often quite nice in political settings. However, it can be utilized combat-wise, by strongly tugging on emotions, making your opponent slip up.

Feruchemantic Zinc, on the other hand, stores mental speed. It can be great for pretty much any situation, whether it be academic, political, or combative. The only downside to it is that storing in any capacity can be quite detrimental, and generally makes you useless while storing.

Put these two together, and what do you get? Well, I suppose you could be a masterful politician, manipulating people with tact and quick thinking. I mean, both are quite useful in many situations, so I’m sure that you would be quite a happy twinborn. Is there any unorthodox synergies between these two? Not really. But that isn’t particularly necessary, given the general usefulness of both abilities.

Resonance: Honestly, I don’t really know. Perhaps being able to read others’ emotions more easily? Though I don’t really know the line between something that would naturally manifest from the abilities versus an unnatural resonance that manifests without practice.

Name: How about…a Mastermind? Maybe a Silvertongue? 

Rating: solid 7.5 out of 10. No real special interactions between the two, but still certainly nice to have.

Let me know your thoughts! Maybe there is a secret synergy that I missed. Or perhaps you have a better idea for a resonance/name!

3 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

Random Twinborn Day 1: 

A-Tin and F-Steel

Random Twinborn Day 2:

A-Brass and F-Zinc

May I recommend you alter your header format to be "newbie friendly" (not really newbie - just friendly to those that don't have the tables memorized).

Since you seem to launch right into the analysis, having more "header" information may make these posts more friendly.

Two options:

Simple:

Random Twinborn Day 2:

A-Brass (Soother) and F-Zinc (Sparker)

Slightly more work:

Random Twinborn Day 1: 

A-Tin - Tineye - Increases Senses

and

F-Steel - Steelrunner - Stores Physical Speed

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the content:

Reminds me of people (pshychologists, grifters, fortune tellers, etc.) who cold read people based on microexpressions and body language. Seems like a very good way to evaluate the emotional state of a target before you Soothe as well as to evaluate the effect(s) of your soothing.

by strongly tugging on emotions,

Brass is a pushing metal, not a pulling metal; unless by "tug" you just mean "non-subtle manipulation"

Name: How about…a Mastermind? Maybe a Silvertongue? 

Mastermind is nice.

Would that not be "zinctongue" or "brasstongue" on Scadrial? M:SH CH 1:

Spoiler

Here, Fuzz seemed to grasp what was going on.

“You zinctongued raven,” the god said, moving beside him without effort while Kelsier ran with everything he had. “

4 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

May I recommend you alter your header format to be "newbie friendly" (not really newbie - just friendly to those that don't have the tables memorized).

Since you seem to launch right into the analysis, having more "header" information may make these posts more friendly.

Actually that’s a pretty good idea. Now I do still say what each does in my analysis portion, but your point still stands.

Brass is a pushing metal, not a pulling metal; unless by "tug" you just mean "non-subtle manipulation"

Yeah, I certainly intended it to be a non-subtle emotional manipulation, but you are right that the wording is a hair misleading.

Would that not be "zinctongue" or "brasstongue" on Scadrial?

Interesting catch! Yeah, it probably would.

Random Twinborn Day 3:

A-Cadmium and F-Electrum

(slowness bubbles and determination)

Alright. A-cadmium is quite an interesting Allomantic ability, as it is seen as much less useful than A-Bendalloy. Cadmium creates large time bubbles that slow down time for those inside, which can be theoretically useful, but often ends up being a hindrance. We’ve seen in the books that it can be used to give time for backup to arrive, as well as being used to great effect when Ettmetal is added into the equation. I suppose it could be quite nice in daily life, if you have to wait for ages. But given that generally us humans have the problem of too much to do with too little time, maybe not.

F-Electrum stores determination. It’s not necessarily as useful as something like F-steel, but it could still be good. Perseverance through a boring task, or through just a really focus intensive task can be quite handy. It seems a tad more helpful for an academic than a fighter, but it could come in handy. Storing it can be kind of rough though, as not feeling up to doing anything is rough even before it is being magically imposed on you. I’m honestly not sure if the upside of extra determination is worth the downside of a lack of determination. But maybe it could work out.

Combine these two together, and what do you get? Someone that is really good at waiting, pretty much. Is there other uses? Yeah, but many of them are quite situational. Maybe there’s something that im missing, but as far is twinborn combos go, this one ain’t great.

Resonance: This one, I don’t really know. Maybe heightened patience? Perhaps there’s something that would make storing determination not that bad.

Name: Stoic. A pretty solid one, I’d I say so myself.

Rating: not that great—4/10

What are you folks’ thoughts? Is there something big that I missed?

Edited by Koloss17
Believe it or not, Duralumin is not Electrum

46 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

A-Cadmium and F-Duralumin

(slowness bubbles and determination)

42 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

F-Duralumin stores determination

Whoa, stop right there! F-Duralumin stores Connections! Determination is stored by Electrum. So which one is it?

46 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

Combine these two together, and what do you get? Someone that is really good at waiting, pretty much. Is there other uses?

Love this conclusion :D 

Random Twinborn Combo Day 4:

A-Copper and F-Duralumin

(Hiding Allomantic signals and storing connection)

Alright. So Allomantic copper prevents detection of Allomantic signals within a certain area (about room sized). It also prevents the burner from being affected by emotional Allomancy, which is certainly a plus. Quite nice to have someone that can do it, but kind of dull if you’re the one that has it.

Now F-Duralumin is more interesting. Tapping it, with the right intent, can do any number of things. Become friends with people you never met, speak languages you never spoke, and maybe do a whole bunch of other things.

Are there any relationships between the two? Ehhhh maybe. Perhaps you could manipulate connection to have the coppercloud bind to someone else, but I somewhat doubt it.

Without that, are these two still a good combination? Probably. F-Duralumin can be really useful, and copper is better than nothing.

Resonance: Maybe increased emotional fortitude? A bit of a stretch, but maybe.

Name: actually, this is the first one that I’m at a loss on. I would appreciate some suggestions!

Rating: better than your average ferring, but a worse combination than your average twinborn. 5/10.

3 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

A-Copper and F-Duralumin

Alright. So Allomantic copper prevents detection of Allomantic signals within a certain area (about room sized). It also prevents the burner from being affected by emotional Allomancy, which is certainly a plus. Quite nice to have someone that can do it, but kind of dull if you’re the one that has it.

Now F-Duralumin is more interesting. Tapping it, with the right intent, can do any number of things. Become friends with people you never met, speak languages you never spoke, and maybe do a whole bunch of other things.

Are there any relationships between the two? Ehhhh maybe. Perhaps you could manipulate connection to have the coppercloud bind to someone else, but I somewhat doubt it.

Without that, are these two still a good combination? Probably. F-Duralumin can be really useful, and copper is better than nothing.

Name: actually, this is the first one that I’m at a loss on. I would appreciate some suggestions!

Rating: better than your average ferring, but a worse combination than your average twinborn. 5/10.

An Ambassador, Dealer or Negotiater, maybe? Immune to emotional Allomancy, hidden from detection, makes quicker connections with people for your purposes? Seems like a pretty good combination for someone who acts as a mediator, someone who can't be emotionally influenced, and someone who can influence someone through connection in ways they might not be trained to detect, or something like a Drug dealer or something similarly illegal, where you could hide yourself from being Allomantically detected and also make quick connections with people to make them buy your stuff?

59 minutes ago, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

An Ambassador, Dealer or Negotiater, maybe? Immune to emotional Allomancy, hidden from detection, makes quicker connections with people for your purposes? Seems like a pretty good combination for someone who acts as a mediator, someone who can't be emotionally influenced, and someone who can influence someone through connection in ways they might not be trained to detect, or something like a Drug dealer or something similarly illegal, where you could hide yourself from being Allomantically detected and also make quick connections with people to make them buy your stuff?

That’s actually fantastic! You’re completely right!

4 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

A-Copper and F-Duralumin

I just thought of something. Could the Resonance be making a Connection with someone in your Coppercloud and granting them immunity to Emotional Allomancy as well as/instead of you?

2 hours ago, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

I just thought of something. Could the Resonance be making a Connection with someone in your Coppercloud and granting them immunity to Emotional Allomancy as well as/instead of you?

Maybe, but generally twinborn resonances are much smaller than other resonances in the Cosmere. It’s certainly possible though!