Wayne's resonance: gold, speed, and hats

Benedictify

Wayne can put on a person's hat and see a lot about who they are, and what their life has been like. 

Gold, allomantically, shows a person's life. Speed bubbles are like time compressed into now. You could interpret a common theme: showing a life compressed into a moment. I think the hat isn't part of the magic, it helps *him* focus his mind on it. 

We can look at Wax's steel bubble similarly. Iron increasing his weight is almost like pulling the quantity into himself. Iron allomantically is about pulling. The iron pulls his steelpush in to surround him and wraps it around himself; like gathering up the blankets on your bed into a bunch around you. 

Maybe resonances are like the qualities of each power acting on *each other*. Taking the elements of the metals - pushing and pulling, external and internal, physical/ mental/ enhancement/ time and physical/ mental/ spiritual - and shuffling them like a deck of cards.

Edited by Benedictify
Text color...?

42 minutes ago, Benedictify said:

Wayne can put on a person's hat and see a lot about who they are, and what their life has been like. 

Gold, allomantically, shows a person's life. Speed bubbles are like time compressed into now. You could interpret a common theme: showing a life compressed into a moment. I think the hat isn't part of the magic, it helps *him* focus his mind on it. 

We can look at Wax's steel bubble similarly. Iron increasing his weight is almost like pulling the quantity into himself. Iron allomantically is about pulling. The iron pulls his steelpush in to surround him and wraps it around himself; like gathering up the blankets on your bed into a bunch around you. 

Maybe resonances are like the qualities of each power acting on *each other*. Taking the elements of the metals - pushing and pulling, external and internal, physical/ mental/ enhancement/ time and physical/ mental/ spiritual - and shuffling them like a deck of cards.

Your text's color is white, which makes it invisible in the white background. Please edit your post, by using "edit" at the bottom of your post, and then highlight entire post and chose the 8th option "A Text Color"  from the right side, and change it to black :) 

I'm pretty sure there was another coinshot that used a steel bubble trick like Wax, and didn't have iron feruchemy. Don't know where he appeared, but I'm almost certain of it.

The idea of powers acting on each other is a good explanation. However Wayne is Wayne, he's just that kind of guy. More fitting among Kandra than humans. He's just like that, and his personality isn't the result of resonances (likely).

25 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Your text's color is white, which makes it invisible in the white background. Please edit your post, by using "edit" at the bottom of your post, and then highlight entire post and chose the 8th option "A Text Color"  from the right side, and change it to black :) 

Ah, okay. I was wondering if it was just my computer acting like a drunkard again or if OP post was the thing doing it.

26 minutes ago, alder24 said:

I'm pretty sure there was another coinshot that used a steel bubble trick like Wax, and didn't have iron feruchemy. Don't know where he appeared, but I'm almost certain of it.

Yes. The Coinshot on the train fight in BoM had a Steelbubble surrounding them.

27 minutes ago, alder24 said:

The idea of powers acting on each other is a good explanation. However Wayne is Wayne, he's just that kind of guy. More fitting among Kandra than humans. He's just like that, and his personality isn't the result of resonances (likely).

I'm on the same page. We have confirmation via WoB that his whole mimicking people thing isn't magical in nature, it's just skill.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/121/#e4747

Questioner

I have a question about Wayne, are his skills of taking another personality, is it his trait, or something magical?

Brandon Sanderson

It is not magical, he’s just really good at it.

10 hours ago, alder24 said:He's just like that, and his personality isn't the result of resonances (likely).

Good point. However, I wasn't talking about his accents or disguises. In The Lost Metal, 

Spoiler

In the scene at Tobol Copper's apartment in Chapter 30, he puts on the guy's hat and imagines what the guy's personality is like, how he thinks, and successfully divines where to go next. He *sees* things that no one else is able to, even if it's in his imagination and not like a literal magic mirror scene.

On the WoB, I was looking at that one and others. There are some WoB's that suggest he's not entirely sure whether some of those things are savantism or resonances; I posit that Brandon himself doesn't exactly know what's going on, and he's still figuring it out. If that’s true, he should go with my idea ;) 

2 hours ago, Benedictify said:

Good point. However, I wasn't talking about his accents or disguises. In The Lost Metal, 

Hide contents

In the scene at Tobol Copper's apartment in Chapter 30, he puts on the guy's hat and imagines what the guy's personality is like, how he thinks, and successfully divines where to go next. He *sees* things that no one else is able to, even if it's in his imagination and not like a literal magic mirror scene.

On the WoB, I was looking at that one and others. There are some WoB's that suggest he's not entirely sure whether some of those things are savantism or resonances; I posit that Brandon himself doesn't exactly know what's going on, and he's still figuring it out. If that’s true, he should go with my idea ;) 

Honestly, a lot of what he derived seemed like it could be obtained from some advanced logical deductions based on the information the group had access to and what Wayne could pick up from what he saw. Personally, how I saw Wayne's skill with accents and disguises was kinda like...he notices bits of people, commonalities and traits, learns about them, and files them away for later use. Every accent, everyone, is a blend of things, dashes of different places and roles and experiences all adding up together into a person, and he had enough to go on from Tobol from the information given that he was able to form a pretty good picture of what he could have done.

And I like it that way, tbh. Not everything is magical, people can just be really good at things sometimes, and for Wayne that was people. Explains why he got on so well with some of the kandra, and adds something special to his character.

9 hours ago, Shadeshadow227 said:

Every accent, everyone, is a blend of things, dashes of different places and roles and experiences all adding up together into a person, and he had enough to go on from Tobol from the information given that he was able to form a pretty good picture of what he could have done.

From the very beginning Wayne was shown to be a connoisseur of accent (very Professor Higgens*) and expert of the blue collar class. Both the way he adopted accents (such as impersonating a Connor in AoL) and analyzes them (such as questioning the Vanisher youth in jail - and adapting to the octant/dockworker background he heard in this voice) was established early. Finally, in TLM, that was integrated into the character arc (spoilers):

Spoiler

Because we learn that he was so attached to the "stories" of people before his mother died that, after his accidental killing of Mr. Durkle, he turned that fascination into a compulsion to "be somebody else" because he couldn't bear the guilt of being himself.

*Note:

• Spoiler

Pygmalion (book and stage-play) / My Fair Lady (Movie / Stage Musical): Professor Higgens is a Professor of Phonetics and Etymologist specializing in English Accent and Regionality. Quotes:

Spoiler

HE FLOWER GIRL [far from reassured] Then what did you take down my words for? How do I know whether you took me down right? You just show me what you've wrote about me. [The note taker opens his book and holds it steadily under her nose, though the pressure of the mob trying to read it over his shoulders would upset a weaker man]. What's that? That ain't proper writing. I can't read that.

THE NOTE TAKER. I can. [Reads, reproducing her pronunciation exactly] "Cheer ap, Keptin; n' haw ya flahr orf a pore gel."

And displaying his ability to dscern where somebody has lived and is living based on accent:

THE SARCASTIC BYSTANDER [not attending to her] Do you know where I come from?

THE NOTE TAKER [promptly] Hoxton.

Titterings. Popular interest in the note taker's performance increases.

THE SARCASTIC ONE [amazed] Well, who said I didn't? Bly me! You know everything, you do.

<snip>

THE BYSTANDER. You take us for dirt under your feet, don't you? Catch you taking liberties with a gentleman!

THE SARCASTIC BYSTANDER. Yes: tell HIM where he come from if you want to go fortune-telling.

THE NOTE TAKER. Cheltenham, Harrow, Cambridge, and India.

THE GENTLEMAN. Quite right. [Great laughter. Reaction in the note taker's favor. Exclamations of He knows all about it. Told him proper. Hear him tell the toff where he come from? etc.].

12 hours ago, Benedictify said:

Text color:

That is extremely odd, I didn't do that on purpose..... 

I once had the same problem. In my case it was because I was using the Dark Mode extension in my browser. I had to disable it on 17th Shard and embrace the light.

12 hours ago, Benedictify said:

Reveal hidden contents

Like the most recent WoB posted above said, that's just natural. No magic here. Kandra are very similar, and the TLM person was the same.  Others already explained it far better than me. WoBs are saying that Brandon didn't reveal his resonances yet, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know what it is.

Spoiler

timi1993

What's [Wayne's] effect from his Twinborn abilities?

Brandon Sanderson

I don't think I've released that yet.

Shadows of Self London UK signing (Oct. 19, 2015)

Spoiler

Argent

Have we seen the resonances of either Wax or Wayne?

[...]

Argent

Yeah I can see that. And Wayne?

Brandon Sanderson

So Wayne's is not as obvious. I'll go ahead and RAFO that right now.

Arcanum Unbounded Chicago signing (Dec. 6, 2016)

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2023 at 8:06 AM, alder24 said:

As it turns out,

Spoiler

in Lost Metal, we find out that the other Steelbubbler actually is an Iron Feruchemist, via Hemalurgic spikes, made specifically to counter Wax.

5 hours ago, Benedictify said:

As it turns out,

Hide contents

in Lost Metal, we find out that the other Steelbubbler actually is an Iron Feruchemist, via Hemalurgic spikes, made specifically to counter Wax.

TLM:

Spoiler

You're talking about Dumad? Dumad was not an Iron Ferring, he didn't have a spike giving him this ability, appeared only in TLM and he is a different person from the one that showed up in BoM with the bubble. From Coppermind:

Dumad is a Hemalurgist with five spikes, five of them granting him the powers of a Coinshot, Duralumin Gnat, Pewterarm, Leecher and Seeker.[2]

BoM ch 7

He gestured, speaking urgently and motioning for another bandit to lumber toward Wax’s car—a hulking brute who had to be almost seven feet tall.

[...]

The brute smiled. Doors still rattled around him—he was a Coinshot, obviously, Pushing out with a bubble like the one Wax used. It even pressed a little on the metalminds Wax wore on his upper arms, which were resistant to Allomancy

Edited by alder24