Twinborn Combos

Deus Ex Biotica

One could learn many different Martial arts style and keep a quick reference of what they are for battle purpose.

Maybe this is covered in the RPG (Christmas was the worst time to ask me for $15 >.<), but I would really like to know about the nuances of copperminds. Or maybe i just need to read the original trilogy again. But I wonder how much this would work. If anyone's familiar with Shadowrun, Copperminds could function similarly to Skillwires (brain implant that lets you "upload" a skill to be semi-proficient with, which is then forgotten when you're done and load up a new Skillsoft).

I really don't know how or why it would be useful, but Electrum/Copper seems like it could be just super cool. I would appreciate someone justifying this choice for me.

I wonder if I'm the only person who just assumes an unspoken convention of <allomancy>/<feruchemy>

Edited by Pechvarry

True, but then again, the RPG doesn't even have rules for Compounding. A theoretically infinite supply of Investure might be a whole different ball game.

You can only tap what you can store with Feruchemy, so how would you get an ability out of it that you didn't put in?

Now, you could certainly compound investiture for a very large nicroburst, but that might be as dangerous as it could be useful, assuming that you can scale up a nicroburst at all.

The idea with the double nicrosil is that the twinborn could store the Investiture of ruin and preservation that is inherent in all the people on Scadrial, regardless of whether they are capable of accessing the magic system. In much the same way that all the other feruchemical abilities allow the storage of inherent human traits, nicrosil allows the storage of their connection to the two Shards. Since consuming Lerasium makes someone a Mistborn regardless of their earlier abilities, and Lerasium is to some degree, concentrated Preservation, perhaps if they concentrate Preservation within themselves with Compounding, it will have a similar effect. The main argument against it is that Leraaium, besides being Preservation, also contains a separate element which is solely responsible for granting Allomancy ability. Maybe. It could be a fun twist to give the next trilogy's nicrosil Misting temporary Mistborn abilities, simply by making the character a double Nicrosil in one of the books.

Chromnium Allomancy plus any Feruchemy: Beeper (as in "some *BEEP!* just depleted all my reserves")
Chromium/Steel or Chromium/Nicrosil seems best for that, to me. Steel to help you get close enough to touch them without getting hit, or Nicrosil if you want to mess with Ferrings as well as Mistings.

I think Tin/Zinc could be good for a Sherlock-Holmes-type character.

A Tin misting/Copper ferring plus a Zinc compounder would make a great crime solving duo. One of them can observe and perfectly remember all the necessary details, write them down for their partner who then uses super mental speed to analyze and deduce the answers from the facts at hand. I can see it now:

TWINKEYE AND ZINCY: CRIME FIGHTERS

Of course, this also gives great options for CSI: Luthadel, and its spinoffs CSI: Elend and CSI: Roughs.

I really don't know how or why it would be useful, but Electrum/Copper seems like it could be just super cool. I would appreciate someone justifying this choice for me.

I wonder if I'm the only person who just assumes an unspoken convention of <allomancy>/<feruchemy>

I use A:_________/F:__________. And, yes, always in that order.

So, storing memories and seeing a short distance into your own future? Well, here's a needlessly-elaborate trick that could work:

1) Store memories of a lot of different combat skills.

2) Assign a gesture to eachone (do not store these gestures, memorize them the old-fashioned way).

3) In combat, start burning Electrum. The look for the time-shadow who seems to be doing the best, and draw upon the skillset they are using (judging by the gesture they are making as they fight).

4) Repeat steps 1-3, with bomb-disarming skills, pickup lines, etc. for non-combat uses.

You'd have to be able to think pretty fast, but it might work.

The idea with the double nicrosil is that the twinborn could store the Investiture of ruin and preservation that is inherent in all the people on Scadrial, regardless of whether they are capable of accessing the magic system. In much the same way that all the other feruchemical abilities allow the storage of inherent human traits, nicrosil allows the storage of their connection to the two Shards. Since consuming Lerasium makes someone a Mistborn regardless of their earlier abilities, and Lerasium is to some degree, concentrated Preservation, perhaps if they concentrate Preservation within themselves with Compounding, it will have a similar effect. The main argument against it is that Leraaium, besides being Preservation, also contains a separate element which is solely responsible for granting Allomancy ability. Maybe. It could be a fun twist to give the next trilogy's nicrosil Misting temporary Mistborn abilities, simply by making the character a double Nicrosil in one of the books.

Exactly. Thanks for helping to express that!

I think Tin/Zinc could be good for a Sherlock-Holmes-type character.

I agree! Mental Speed, in particular, makes a good Holmes - he would argue that you don't need keen senses to get the data, just an ability to use everything you do see. As such, I might be tempted to make his Allomancy Bronze (for a kind of data you cannot get otherwise), or even Pewter (Holmes is deadly whenever he winds up in a straight fight... and he has to survive all those opiates somehow, right?) instead of Zinc, though the ability of Zinc to make a detective even more observant than Holmes is compelling.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

P.S. I just thought of a strong use for Bronze Feruchemy - combo it with being a Thug, and suddenly, Pewter Drag is much more manageable.

P.S. I just thought of a strong use for Bronze Feruchemy - combo it with being a Thug, and suddenly, Pewter Drag is much more manageable.

That could be super useful, actually. I'm not sure if Wakefulness=well rested, though assuming it does, and also assuming fatigue is the detriment to any extended pewter use, you could fight for days.

Calling it now: when we finally see a Zinc ferring, he's going to be an idiot who arrives at more stupid conclusions per minute than anyone.

I was actually just thinking about the fact that Zincminds don't necessarily make you smarter. You just think a lot faster. So while a brilliant Zinc compounder could realize the full works of Tesla and Einstein in one trip to the bathroom, an average intelligence zinc compounder could get bored of topics super fast, which means he'd get as far into theoretical physics as the rest of us. But at least he didn't spend 10 hours on it. It's like TVtropes in your mind. Soooooo many tabs.

Also: tapping determination to fight off ADHD.

I was actually just thinking about the fact that Zincminds don't necessarily make you smarter. You just think a lot faster. So while a brilliant Zinc compounder could realize the full works of Tesla and Einstein in one trip to the bathroom, an average intelligence zinc compounder could get bored of topics super fast, which means he'd get as far into theoretical physics as the rest of us. But at least he didn't spend 10 hours on it. It's like TVtropes in your mind. Soooooo many tabs.

Also: tapping determination to fight off ADHD.

Well, you would need to define what "smart" is. Sazed taps mental speed to help him reach conclusions in the WoA. I propose that an average intelligence Zinc Compounder's mind would work so fast that, given advanced mathamatical training, work out calculus or relativity in just a few hours. Remember, a Compounder has almost incomprehensible Feruchemical stores. So as long as they can remained focused, anyone would be able to evaluate and try hundreds of thousands of permutations.

As I see it, a compounder tapping mental speed would essentially be working in mental bullet time. Their mind would be processing information so fast that their senses, unless tin enhanced or something, probably couldn't keep up. Essentially, they could enter a state wherein they are processing what they see hundreds of thousands of times before their brain gets new information from their optic nerves. In this way, a zinc compounder might be able to observe every single detail of a scene before it changes. If they kept this up long enough, to their mind they would enter a state of never-changing perception, i.e. they would continue to experience whatever scene they started tapping in as long as they continue to tap zinc. It would be like having a hundred years to think something over, figure it all out, and then stop tapping and almost no time has passed. I can see this being extremely useful in combat. Imagine, Parvulio "Zincy" Lawrence is having a shoot out in the roughs with some nefarious outlaw. He spots the outlaw's head, and starts compound-burning/tapping zinc. In the time he has, he is able to mentally calculate the position of the outlaw, the forces involved with the bullet, the trajectory of the bullet and the relative wind speeds, etc., all in time that he knows exactly where to position his gun so he can end the outlaw's life of crime.

Yeah, I think just a regular Zinc Ferring could be good enough in a gunfight to do some bullet dodging. I imagine it'd be on par with Wax's steel bubble. And he'd have the time to consider shooting the post at just the right angle to have it fall on the 3 bad guys.

As for compounding zinc, I think about people I went to High School with. People who could grasp Algebra well enough from the week-to-week lessons to do a passable job on the tests, but never understood how the math worked that way (why do I always solve exponents before multiplication? because the teacher said so). Now imagine this type of person is a zinc compounder. There shouldn't be any part of their powers which allows them to overcome their inability or (more likely) unwillingness to apply what they know to arrive at their own conclusions. This sort of compounder could do their math homework extremely fast; they couldn't solve for Y and then run on a million tangents to fully realize quantum mechanics.

I was just thinking the other day about how absolutely terrifying an iron compounder could potentially be, particularly in the modern day. Obviously, a compounder of any kind is a force to be reckoned with anyway, but imagine a terrorist with iron. Make yourself weigh a crapton, then yank a plane right out of the sky. Would render airport security completely obsolete. Heck, imagine how much of a logistics nightmare this could cause our navy and air force.

Actually, for this very reason, I got thinking about how radically allomancy has the potential to alter our concepts about technology and a developing military. What kind of adjustments would need to occurto ensure your armed forces' effectiveness against a single man who can destroy their transport with a flick of his mind?

Obviously, Brandon, will come up with something, or else he'll avoid war entirely, what with there only being one known nation as we stand.

A few ideas:

1) Chromium/Steel would be the best Allomancer killer in the world. Speed up to touch them, then flare your Chromium. No more problems.

2) Duralumin Compunding could well produce the most charismatic leader in the history of the world. I'd be scared of the political power such a person could wield.

3) Pewter/Cadmium would be the ultimate explorer, able to go anywhere really as long as he had pewter to burn.

Obviously, Brandon, will come up with something, or else he'll avoid war entirely, what with there only being one known nation as we stand.

I used to think this, too, but it turns out there are wars. Just, wars between Houses, instead.

Chromium/Steel is strong, but I still prefer it with Nicrosil. This means it can also be used to aid your allies, and with good timing, an uncontrolled Uberflare can be much worse than just vanishing. Think about the wreck it could make of a Lurcher.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

I used to think this, too, but it turns out there are wars. Just, wars between Houses, instead.

Chromium/Steel is strong, but I still prefer it with Nicrosil. This means it can also be used to aid your allies, and with good timing, an uncontrolled Uberflare can be much worse than just vanishing. Think about the wreck it could make of a Lurcher.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

or a Tineye, remember Vin's first accident with Duraluminum? Have an ally fire off a bullet, or set off a stick of dynamite at juuust the right moment and you could reduce the sucker to sobbing pathetically in a corner.

A few ideas:

2) Duralumin Compunding could well produce the most charismatic leader in the history of the world. I'd be scared of the political power such a person could wield.

One big weakness of Duralumin Feruchemy is that it cuts both ways. You gain a bond to everyone else just as they gain a bond to you.

Tin Allomancy and Chromnium Feruchemy would make an excellent sniper. uber-sight for targeting and luck for precise hitting.

Relatedly, do you think a double Tin could compound eyesight enough to become a sort of human telescope?

And have you even considered how useful a Double Zinc could be?

Finally, some names:

Double Gold: Deathless.

Double Iron: Crusher

Tin Allomancy and Chromnium Feruchemy would make an excellent sniper. uber-sight for targeting and luck for precise hitting.

Relatedly, do you think a double Tin could compound eyesight enough to become a sort of human telescope?

And have you even considered how useful a Double Zinc could be?

Finally, some names:

Double Gold: Deathless.

Double Iron: Crusher

Ah, are we making names for compounders too now? In that case, my only request is that we make double pewter=Hulk. Please, I beg you.

Do you guys have all the feruchemical properties memorized? I'm not even close. Lol

This is a great threat.

So much well-founded speculation and discussion. I'm swooning here.

My two notes:

Pewter/Electrum

Someone uses pewter to accomplish a long-term taks, like holding a boulder or running huge distances, until it completely burns out, leaving them to the bodyshattering consequences.

Then they tap into their filled to brim Electrum-mind, the ensuing determination allows them to circumvent the part of the brain that prevents humans from using all of their strenght, giving them one last burst of energy and keeping them going no matter the pain and broken bones, because their goal is just so important.

A combination that is usefull once, for a very short time, and then they die.

(This is also my understanding of how the mythological marathon was run.)

Tin/Chromium

Professional cardgame-player or investigator. They could investigate a crime-scene with enhanced senses and if that isn't enough tap on the luck.

Also a good combo to actually fill up the chromium-mind without dying of bad luck, since the tin helps detect danger and gives a chance to drop filling.

Gold/Aluminum

The Gold lets the user see their past self/alternative self. The Aluminum prevents them from having an existencial crisis.

Gold/Electrum is probably similar.

Both are not very usefull for fighting, but can give someone a firm point to stand on characterwise.

Name: Doubtless

Edited by Babtest

One big weakness of Duralumin Feruchemy is that it cuts both ways. You gain a bond to everyone else just as they gain a bond to you.

Well, I believe that could create a perfect politician: he will always win elections but will love and relate to his people enough that he never gets corrupt.

We only need to hope that he can't store Identity too. :P

Well, I believe that could create a perfect politician: he will always win elections but will love and relate to his people enough that he never gets corrupt.

...Because you believe that the people who stay around politicians (meaning within range of Duralumin connection) a lot are not corrupt?

Tin/Chromium

Professional cardgame-player or investigator. They could investigate a crime-scene with enhanced senses and if that isn't enough tap on the luck.

Also a good combo to actually fill up the chromium-mind without dying of bad luck, since the tin helps detect danger and gives a chance to drop filling.

But with enough bad luck, you will burn your tin the moment your neighbors want to experiment with their new explosives and flash bangs. lol

I think Zinc/Duralumin twinborn should be called a Casanova. They use Rioting and Connection to get a woman or man into bed, and after they are done, they can just fade into the background.

We only need to hope that he can't store Identity too. :P

Wouldn't just filling Connection while he's in his office doing decision stuff have the same effect? He can be connected during elections, and abandon those connections the rest of the time.

... just like a politician, am I right?

-- Deus Ex Biotica

P.S. This is just standup comedy, and does not reflect my views on any specific politician, except Emperor Nero. That guy was a jerk.