Twinborn Combos

Deus Ex Biotica

Here are some quick thoughts that I had on the subject of Tin Ferrings. The five senses that we have are Sight, Smell, Taste, Hearing, and Touch. However, where does our sense of balance stem from?

I often wonder about how senses other than the famous five (direction, equilibrium, time, etc.) interact with Tin, either Allomancy or Feruchemy. Sadly, in Mistborn as in real life, nobody ever seems to recognize that these senses exist.

That might make it a really wicked advantage for a clever Twinborn, though.

Something that occurred to me about Zinc Ferrings. Does the increased thinking and reasoning allow for increased processing of information? ... I envision that this mind processing might become something like how Kvothe from The Name of the Wind partitions his mind to better handle what goes on around him.

I always assumed that it does help with processing (my idea with Electrum doesn't work otherwise), so this all seems workable to me! And bonus points for a shout-out to Name Of The Wind.

For Cadmium Ferrings or Gasper Ferrings. Much how a sniper needs to control their breathing when they make their shot a Gasper Ferring could potentially increase their focus by tapping their metalmind as it takes part of our focus to breathe.

Miles took advantage of this as a side-effect of his Gold Compounding. I wonder if a flat-out Keeper could store Speed while tapping Breath and Health to make their heart stop completely while they aim.

For Electrum Ferrings and their storage of determination, I would consider it a soft counter to a Rioter or Soother, as they would have to be able to detect that there is something that they need to be determined to do against something.

I actually suspect that storing your emotions is a near-absolute counter to Soothers and Rioters, at the cost that you're not that motivated to do things when you're using it.

Cool thoughts, and welcome!

-- Deus Ex Biotica

I often wonder about how senses other than the famous five (direction, equilibrium, time, etc.) interact with Tin, either Allomancy or Feruchemy. Sadly, in Mistborn as in real life, nobody ever seems to recognize that these senses exist.

That might make it a really wicked advantage for a clever Twinborn, though.

I always assumed that it does help with processing (my idea with Electrum doesn't work otherwise), so this all seems workable to me! And bonus points for a shout-out to Name Of The Wind.

Miles took advantage of this as a side-effect of his Gold Compounding. I wonder if a flat-out Keeper could store Speed while tapping Breath and Health to make their heart stop completely while they aim.

I actually suspect that storing your emotions is a near-absolute counter to Soothers and Rioters, at the cost that you're not that motivated to do things when you're using it.

Cool thoughts, and welcome!

-- Deus Ex Biotica

Thanks for the welcome, although what I really find interesting for a compounder is Bendalloy. You never go hungry, never get thirsty, and if I'm right about amphetamines and other compounds you could drug yourself to do ridiculous things. Since you never get hungry or thirsty you can never be poisoned through your food, and if you do get poisoned you might be able to store that away to stop yourself from dying of poison. Then the issue becomes the amounts of Bendalloy that you can acquire, which through Wayne we find might be more expensive that actually buying food...aww stumbling block, guess it comes down to how much food/drink bendallow would turn into...

As for the thoughts about electrum I think that people can still experience mini episodes of emotion while storing. The way I figure is that when you store determination you do so at a fixed level, it doesn't increase the amount that you store in tandem with your emotional fluctuations...of course if you store to the point where your spikes in emotion don't matter, then I guess we would be getting at a hard counter.

something I just thought of for use of copper ferrings, they would make good spies/infiltrators not just because they could store any conversations they overheard, but also because before going on a mission they could store any sensitive information they knew about the group that they were working for that they didn't need to accomplish the immediate mission and leave the metalmind someplace secure, so if they were captured they wouldn't be able to give up very much information.

Edited by Ookla the Illogical

something I just thought of for use of copper ferrings, they would make good spies/infiltrators not just because they could store any conversations they overheard, but also because before going on a mission they could store any sensitive information they knew about the group that they were working for that they didn't need to accomplish the immediate mission and leave the metalmind someplace secure, so if they were captured they wouldn't be able to give up very much information.

Good point!

And, if they came across something in a code, or a language they didn't know, the codebreakers would know they were getting it perfectly. I like it!

Wow. That is a seriously good point. I wonder if Brandon has ever considered the effects of this. It takes the term "Need to Know" to an entirely different level...

On the other hand, even something as mild-seeming as a Bronze Compounder would be amazingly cool: you are always perfectly alert without any sleep, and can detect any Allomancy around you. It doesn't exactly shout "Ninja Dinosaur," but it is not to be underestimated.

Best. Guard. Ever. :P

I really like the idea of a Tineye with Ironminds - if they glimpse something suspicious, they tap Mental Speed to get all the details, and look for patterns and angles of attack, instantly. Just try to get the drop on a guard like that.

I think you mean Zincminds? That would be pretty nice for a guard, though that combination might work better as a spy. Any combination of a physical form of Allomancy would be quite potent with in combination with Zincminds. Thugs can calculate the angles of attack, weight shifts, etc. Lurchers and Coinshots would be able to shoot verrrrrryyyyy precisely and you have already covered Tineyes. Even emotional Allomancy would benefit: by looking at a person and analyzing their responses and posture it would be quite nice to boost your brain's computing speed to look for clues regarding the emotions of the subject.

Edit: SVA

Edited by Thor

I think you mean Zincminds?

No, Ironminds! Everyone knows that the more a brain weighs, the faster it can think, right? I NEVER MAKE MISTAKES!

And, yeah, Mental Speed in combat is really awesome, however you slice it - though your analysis makes me most frightened of A:Pewter/F:Zinc, or as I will be calling the combo, Math Smashers.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

Math Smashers.

First off, LOL hard.

Next up, I wonder if a Coppermind can pull off similar tricks to the "study and plan" use of mental speed. If they could have constant streams of storage/retrieval such that they could walk down a street and then tell you how many cobblestones there were and the positions of each one cracked.

Just thought of a possible application of the double-Tin combo: biofeedback or, to quote TVTropes, Master Of Your Domain. Such a double Tineye could spend ages burning tin Allomantically and storing it Feruchemically. When she splurges her touch-and-hearing-Tinminds, she'd presumably have inhumanly enhanced awareness of bodily processes; perhaps hearing and feeling every artery, every vein, every muscle and nerve in her body at the same time. What you can detect, perhaps you can control. If this is the case, the double-tin Twinborn could learn to slow (or speed - or stop) her own heart at will, suppress wound-bleeding via vasoconstriction, warm herself in cold temperatures via vasodilation, generate surges of adrenal fight-or-flight "hysterical strength" at whim and much much more. Perhaps they'd even be able to heal faster (not like a Bloodmaker or even a Thug but a bit faster than normal nonetheless.)

tl;dr: A double Tin Twinborn could be like the Bene Gesserit from Dune or the Dunyain from Prince of Nothing.

A double Nicrosil Twinborn. They'd be able to compound Investiture. Which I think should do something cool, even if I'm not sure exactly what that would be. 'Temporary Mistborn + Temporary Full Ferochemist' or 'Extreme Nicrosil ability boosting'? I'd prefer the former, but that almost seems too powerful, if it does work that way, the upper limit for the ability might be even beyond normal Mistborn levels. The latter is harder to find a useful context for, pretty much just the usual nicrosil boosting situations. Or maybe I'm way off track.

There should be a bit of Ruin and Preservation any native of Scadrial, so if he/she stored those bits and compounded it to 100x or more, what level could they reach? Would that compounding leave a permanent effect on the double Nicrosil, or would they be unable to tap into those abilities in the first place?

The possibilities are interesting.