What command would you give nightblood

High prince of geeks

• 1 month later...

"Necro threads."

Wait, I can do that all on my own.

One command I'd be interested in is "Think." Could you actually Command an Awakened object to do nothing but think? What would it do? Would it become a philosopher sword, constantly discovering new truths about morality and human nature? Would it become so intelligent that it could deduce the meaning of all the Cosmere's secrets solely through what it observes on Nalthis?

If "Think" is a valid Command, could we Awaken a pen to do so? That way our new Type IV BioChromatic Entity can write whatever he thinks of down on paper.

"Be yourself" or

"Live"

I'd be very interested what Nightblood would've done with a command that gave it freedom to essentially choose how it wanted to be. Would this imply that all things in the cognitive realm already have some sort of personality? The interactions of Shallan with the boat and the stick in WoR seem to indicate this.

What if Nightblood had been a hemalurgic spike when he was awakened? Say for the blessing of presence or something like that. If we awakened a blessing of presence and told it to "Think" we would probably get a much better philosopher than a regular piece of metal.

Could you Awaken a Hemalurgic spike? I would think that a spike is already too "full" of Investiture to absorb the necessary quantity of Breaths to be Awakened.

• 3 weeks later...

"Prevent death"

Given this command, the sword would only be able to kill where it prevented others from being killed. It allows the wielder to defend their own life, but not take those of others where it would not save another life. No issues with the nature of innocence or evil, just straight out a life can only be taken to prevent the loss of another -- or many other -- lives.

"Compel your wielder to sing."

Because it amuses me to imagine a grizzled anti-hero like Vasher periodically bursting into song during emotional moments like the heat of battle. With this sword we could conceivably create Warbreaker: The Musical. :ph34r:

Actually, you can kill to prevent death, Nightblood's "Destroy Evil" command compels him to destroy whatever evil his wielder sees, because evil is a perception. If you kill a man who would otherwise kill another, you are preventing death. The death of the person that man would have killed. Of course there is the risk of misinterpretation which could make the sword believe that the only way to truly prevent any death is to kill everyone...., 

Actually, you can kill to prevent death, Nightblood's "Destroy Evil" command compels him to destroy whatever evil his wielder sees, because evil is a perception. If you kill a man who would otherwise kill another, you are preventing death. The death of the person that man would have killed. Of course there is the risk of misinterpretation which could make the sword believe that the only way to truly prevent any death is to kill everyone....,

Yeah, but while you can destroy evil subjectively, you can't prevent death by killing someone. That makes no sense.

You need a more detailed command.

"Compel your wielder to sing."

Because it amuses me to imagine a grizzled anti-hero like Vasher periodically bursting into song during emotional moments like the heat of battle. With this sword we could conceivably create Warbreaker: The Musical. :ph34r:

YES. Warbreaker: The Musical would be hillarious. Just...

Except, not compel wielder. Compel everyone to sing. 

YES. Warbreaker: The Musical would be hillarious. Just...

Except, not compel wielder. Compel everyone to sing. 

This sounds perfectly normal to me.  But then I just got back from "Into the Woods," where people sing at each other for no apparent reason.

(Yes, I've seen the play.  It just felt a bit weird, some of the audience-facing musical numbers turning into an in-world performance.)

If Nightblood can at least understand the "destroy" part of DESTROY EVIL I'd like to think he knows how dying works and figure out the inherent problem there. I can't imagine anyone able to honestly have a good mental image of killing people to stop things from dying either.