Our robot overlords have arrived....

Eerongal

So apparently a chatbot has now passed a turing test.

Granted, they said it was imitating a 13 year old boy, and if my experience with xbox live is typical, all they needed to do for THAT is to teach it to call me a noob and to yell colorful things about my mother.

For those who don't know, a turing test is a test they put AI constructs against to determine if it is able to carry on a conversation (generally text conversations) in which it is difficult for a human to tell the difference between the AI or a fellow human.

In part, it also depends on how much stock we're putting on Turing tests, doesn't it? My impression was that it's by no means a unanimous or uncriticised notion within the field: just a measure which has successfully captured the popular imagination.

In part, it also depends on how much stock we're putting on Turing tests, doesn't it? My impression was that it's by no means a unanimous or uncriticised notion within the field: just a measure which has successfully captured the popular imagination.

Right, but it's still a pretty significant accomplishment. It's worth noting that there's several different "versions" of a turing test as well.

Eh, just wake me up when it's recursively improving and fundamentally altering its own code. ;)

This is interesting, though.

Yeah, it doesn't really mean much in the scheme of things right now. It's not like they actually created a thinking, living  hard AI. Just means that they've gotten it to some particular level of confidence in responding to human conversations.

The Turing test is vastly overrated, and the number of idiots on the internet has effectively destroyed its usefulness, anyway. I mean, Cleverbot passes simply for the reason that there are plenty of people on the internet who would give replies as inane as it does.

When we get beyond Chinese rooms (which is totally what this is), then we'll have something to talk about.

Edited by Two McMillion

Agreed, McMillion. The Turing Test is quite exaggerated in use. Cleverbot passed, I think, simply because you can get hilarious answers from it. :D  It's also got the mood swings and memory of a unicorn on crack.  :P

Example:

Me: What gender are you?

CB: Female

(Two questions later)

Me: What gender are you?

CB: I am a program.

Eerongal, great to know someone also plays Xbox online  B). If it isn't too much, can you tell me your account name?  :ph34r:

Don't get me started on 12-year-old noobs and their surprisingly wide range of curses and knowledge of my relationships.  :D

Eerongal, great to know someone also plays Xbox online  B). If it isn't too much, can you tell me your account name?  :ph34r:

Well, I haven't even started up my 360 in months, so I don't really play it THAT much. That said, my xbox live handle is the same as on here (Eerongal). I do play the occasional windows live game, though, but games for windows live is being discontinued soon anyways.

• 7 months later...

Yeah, it doesn't really mean much in the scheme of things right now. It's not like they actually created a thinking, living  hard AI. Just means that they've gotten it to some particular level of confidence in responding to human conversations.

Hey... This is Much beyond Many people in our own society... so perhaps this really is an achievment.

• 6 months later...

The Turing test would work a great deal better if it was proposed after we had some AIs worth testing.  :lol:

I mean, I remember reading about one Turing test event thing where a bot was believed to be human by a fair number of the judges. It would bring up a recent news event and then spent the rest of the conversation directing you attention to various aspects of it and stating its own opinions on those aspects. The twist is, it used literally the exact same script each time.   :ph34r:

The makers decided on the day before the competition to submit this bot instead of the one they were really working on. It might have been a pretty good idea.

Edited by Colours

• 2 weeks later...

Eh, just wake me up when it's recursively improving and fundamentally altering its own code. ;)

Yep. The Turing test is an interesting tool, but I've always felt that the Turing test better reflected human fallibility than AI potency. Certainly if a piece of code can consistently pass the TT, fooling an overwhelming % of a large group, that'll be something, but it still might not be AI.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...