Everything We Know About Time Bubbles

Kurkistan

The whole time bubble dilemma stinks of Atium/Gold from the original Mistborn trilogy to me. Seems to not quite work, so you dismiss it thinking that the author just overlooked it, before it comes back and you realise just what kind of genius Brandon Sanderson really is. This page will be really interesting to look back on when the true nature of bubbles are revealed (my heart aches in realisation at how long that will be). 

This is a nice compilation, Kurk.

I remain incredibly displeased with the light explanation. Peter saying handwavium has to be burned really annoys me, since we're expecting FTL to involve (somewhat) reasonable scientific principles, even if there's magic involved at some point.

I can accept the redshifting/blueshifting being dealt with via energy stealing shenanigans, but the photons-per-second should still be different in a speed bubble. If there's no internal logic to time bubbles to account for the light issue, then I don't feel comfortable trying to theorize on time bubbles. I hope they're not involved in FTL.

Edited by Moogle

@Tempus

Glad I could help someone. About 4 hours in I paused for a moment and was like "will this actually benefit anyone?" and was unsure of how to answer it. Then I kept writing about time bubbles and was happy. :)

@Moogle

I feel your pain. I'm sure there's some level of Realmatics that justifies the thing, I just don't feel comfortable speculating as to what it is. The reason this is one of the few time bubble areas I don't want to jump into wild speculation land on is that the handwavium almost necessarily resulted in some weird hack that doesn't "flow" with the rest of how time bubbles work.

@MistLord

I don't see how light is treated as a "dilemma", at least not as one that matters on the larger scale. My reading of the whole thing is that light gets its own little private exemption that cached out Realmatically in one way or another, but that bubbles otherwise work as they always would. The issue of light, then, has next to nothing to do with anything else related to time bubbles.

Thanks Kurkistan. Ironically the half in half out issue literally just came up a few minutes ago in another thread and Shaggai mentioned what you said. Having heard none of this, I was confused and two seconds later stumbled across your post. 

My only issue with all of this, and this has to do with what Brandon stated, not with any of what you posited, and I hope you can help/answer is the excerpt from the new Shadows of Self book. This is an excerpt open to any to read, but just in case I will put it in spoilers below:

There is a scene where Wayne approaches a house, sees through the window that the "bad guy" is in there conferring with his ally. Wayne then burns bendalloy, and hops through the window. The "bad guy" was close enough to the window that he was included in the bubble, but "bad guy's" ally was not. Wayne then decks the "bad guy", carries him out the window and then drops the bubble. If I understand what you posted about the train correctly, then since the "bad guy" was in the house, then he should have not been included, since the house was larger than the bubble and thereby not included like the train.

Is there something I am missing? You clearly understand this far more than I do, so any help is appreciated

Well I'm glad my post could preempt some confusion.

In reply to your spoiler:

You've got the scene wrong:

“. . . was a conner for sure,” Wayne heard at a window. “A thousand notes is a lot, Marks. A whole lot. Now, I’m not saying you can’t trust the lads; there’s not a bad alloy in the bunch. But I can say that a little encouragement will help them feel better about their loyalty.”

Ratting out a friend: completely off-limits.

Extorting a friend: well, that was all in the name of good fun.

And if he didn’t act grateful, then maybe he hadn’t been a friend after all. Wayne grinned, slipping on his sets of wooden knucklebones—the weapons fit over his four fingers, and didn’t have a speck of metal on them to be used by a Coinshot.

Wayne stepped back, then charged the building. He hit the shutters with one shoulder, crashing through, then tossed up a speed bubble the moment he hit the floor.

Wayne rolled, coming up on his feet in front of Marks himself, who was bandaging a wound at his shoulder. The man still wore his red trousers, though. He snapped his head up, displaying a surprised face with bushy eyebrows and large lips.

Rusts. No wonder the fellow normally wore a mask.

Wayne decked him across the face, laying him out with one punch. Then he spun, fists up.

The other occupants of the room, including bowl-head, stood frozen just outside the edge of his speed bubble.

Wayne grinned, heaving Marks up onto his shoulder. He took his knuckles off, slipping them into his pocket, and got out an apple. He took a juicy bite, waved farewell to bowl-head—who looked forward with glassy eyes, frozen—then tossed Marks out the window and followed after.

Once he passed beyond the edge of his speed bubble, it automatically collapsed. He was already out of the building by then.

“. . . What the hell was that!” bowl-head yelled inside.

Wayne heaved the unconscious Marks up onto his shoulder again, then wandered back down the road, chewing on his apple.

So Wayne was standing in the house before he cast the bubble.

Whether this difference matters is unclear.

We've seen multiple times that bubbles cast inside buildings work as intended. So this particular example falls under that general umbrella, and thus doesn't tell us anything new from AoL.

It's an open question, though, why exactly bubbles "internal" to buildings don't have to worry about the same stuff train-bubbles do, or if, in fact, a speed bubble inside a train would perhaps also work.

This all kind of irks me because I thought we had this all settled by modeling the surfaces of bubbles as "distending" around objects. Then Brandon was kind enough to nix it, if my analysis of my one WoB is to be credited. Looking at it again, the door is open for perhaps non-living objects or objects from outside the bubble doing some distension, but that seems an unnatural interpretation founded more on how we want it to work than anything else.

Myself, I think I might have a bit of an addendum that I should have put in my spin-off thread: bubbles, it would seem, only care about "parent objects" (houses, trains, etc.) if the child object (the person, in this case) is in some "I should really be sharing my spatio-temporal experiences with this <train/house/etc.>" mode. There's nothing odd about a person moving fast while a house stands still, while someone on a train sees themselves as supposed to be being at rest relative to that train.

That's off the top of my head, at least.

Edited by Kurkistan

I feel foolish cause someone must have mentioned this, but FTL uses an alloy of atium and cadmium or bendalloy, right?

Not that we know of.

Welcome to the forums, btw. :)

Well I'm glad my post could preempt some confusion.

In reply to your spoiler:

You've got the scene wrong:

So Wayne was standing in the house before he cast the bubble.

Whether this difference matters is unclear.

We've seen multiple times that bubbles cast inside buildings work as intended. So this particular example falls under that general umbrella, and thus doesn't tell us anything new from AoL.

It's an open question, though, why exactly bubbles "internal" to buildings don't have to worry about the same stuff train-bubbles do, or if, in fact, a speed bubble inside a train would perhaps also work.

This all kind of irks me because I thought we had this all settled by modeling the surfaces of bubbles as "distending" around objects. Then Brandon was kind enough to nix it, if my analysis of my one WoB is to be credited. Looking at it again, the door is open for perhaps non-living objects or objects from outside the bubble doing some distension, but that seems an unnatural interpretation founded more on how we want it to work than anything else.

Myself, I think I might have a bit of an addendum that I should have put in my spin-off thread: bubbles, it would seem, only care about "parent objects" (houses, trains, etc.) if the child object (the person, in this case) is in some "I should really be sharing my spatio-temporal experiences with this <train/house/etc.>" mode. There's nothing odd about a person moving fast while a house stands still, while someone on a train sees themselves as supposed to be being at rest relative to that train.

That's off the top of my head, at least.

Ack, totally my bad and good call. Thanks!

Quite awhile after this WoB, Aeromancer was kind enough to ask these questions:

Unseen Allomancy required for FTL:

Aeromancer: So would it be possible to use Steelrunning + compounding to travel FTL?

Brandon: No, it would not. You could get close, though.

Aeromancer: Kind of like Zemo's Paradox, than? You keep halving the distance, never quite making it?

Brandon (gleam in his eye): Trying to crack Allomatic FTL?

Aeromancer (guilty): Maybe.

Brandon: You can't.

Aeromancer: I don't know, there are alot of good theories out there.

Brandon: It involves Allomantic abilities which we don't know about yet.

Obviously my hope here is that the missing Allomantic ability (that "very big important piece", it seems) is nothing more or less than something that enables bubblers to anchor their bubbles in different locations.

Thanks for welcoming me! I've been here for a while though...just...reading without anything to contribute.  But now I will try to contribute.

In reference to the above quote; Obviously the thing that allows you to anchor your bubble in a different location is Atium.  That's exactly what happens with malatium.  It Project the effect of gold onto someone else.

I find little obvious about this conclusion.

From the table of Allomantic metals: "In alloys, [atium] produces various expanded Mental and Temporal effects."

Beyond this quote, we have exactly one instance of any atium alloy whose effect we know. To claim that atium alloys are the key to bubble-anchoring, let alone any specific atium alloys, is little better than bare speculation, then.

Edited by Kurkistan

Well of course it is rampant speculation... But I do think I'm on to something. We won't know until we know, but I'm just having some fun here. Unless Brandon is going to introduce new metals...atium alloys is the answer to allomantic abilities we don't know yet.

What if the expanded mental and temporal effect is projecting the cognitive focus?

Since the relationship is by nature cognitive, it probably depends on how the bubble user views the objects in the bubble more than anything else. If it were a matter of simple perception of relative speeds, then you should certainly not burn when examining the relationship between movement of spatial objects like the planet to yourself - the entire world would suddenly be bubbled.

More likely, it's about the user's idea of what is in the bubble and what is not. With trains, we can call it what is known as a categorical entity. The train is actually a category of a collection of things (train cars), which we identify cognitively as a train. In reality here, the train car is the object inside the bubble. But the Allomancer has made a category error, and has identified a part of a thing with its whole, causing it to be within the bubble.

Brainwave.

Bubbles are actually majority cognitive - what is in or out of the bubble is determined by the entity's position in the Cognitive Realm, and not the physical. The bubble itself is actually inside the Cognitive Realm too. This explains why light is not affected - light does not seem to have a corresponding Cognitive entity that matches its position (as seen with backwards shadows, and Jasnah's description of Shadesmar landscape). Thus, light is not affected by bubbles because the bubbles are not truly encompassing/affecting physical things.

That's not bad handwavium.

@Anatrok

We'll have to wait and see on god-metal alloys.

@Tempus

I'm leery of giving the bubble user too much import in the system, actually. For one we know that the anchoring is outside of his control—I don't imagine that a Wayne in Descartes' ship would suddenly have the bubble moving along with him rather than sticking to Scadrial.

For another, this "anything touching is included" specification is somewhat odd if we're just saying it's all up to the bubbler. Why ought all bubbles created by any bubblers follow this fairly unintuitive rule for all and only living beings?

Beyond this, there are just a lot of weird ways in which the bubble seems quite independent of the bubbler once it's up.

As for the train, I don't see any need to say that the train isn't a "real" object. I'm sure it has its own bead in Shadesmar as a whole and singular "train". So, "in reality", the object inside (or outside, in this case) is in fact the train as a whole, not the individual car.

If all you need to count the cars as distinctly bubble-able entities is a flexibly minded Allomancer... bad things could happen. Very bad. You'd likely end up with train wrecks at the very least, and that general principle can probably be applied to bring down buildings.

----

Since the relationship is by nature cognitive, it probably depends on how the bubble user views the objects in the bubble more than anything else. If it were a matter of simple perception of relative speeds, then you should certainly not burn when examining the relationship between movement of spatial objects like the planet to yourself - the entire world would suddenly be bubbled.

I'm unsure as to what you mean with your second sentence there.

---

On the brainwave:

Sorry, but we're not quite there yet. Talk to Moogle if you want details on all of this, but simply saying "light isn't affected" isn't strictly true. Various and sundry shenanigans have to go on not only to stop red/blue-shift, but also to account for photon density and people not being cooked alive by simple radiant heat and... It gets messy.

Edited by Kurkistan

I've been avoiding time bubbles, and Feruchemical iron. I honestly just... can't follow em', and I can't dig the strict physics arguments either. I have been convinced now that my foray above into that world was an ill-made decision - I withdraw sir, withdraw with haste.

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you off. If I sound all sure and Wizard of the Cosmere here it's probably just force of habit when talking about time bubbles. Anything I say that can't be traced directly back to the OP is something that I'm still exploring.

So going on the affected or not affected premise, if i took a garden hose, and turned the water pressure on. Then walked till the hose was extended at its full, and pulled the trigger on the hose resulting in water flowing through the tube from its source to out the spray, and THEN put up a bubble, would the ENTIRE hose all the way back to the source be included since it is touching the bubble?

I really do hate boundary questions...

My guess is a "no" there, which makes a certain amount of sense as we don't normally regard hoses as "held items" but more as equipment that we're employing.

Another fun and interesting question is what the stream looks like when you spray a stream of water through one side of a time bubble and out the other.

I really do hate boundary questions...

My guess is a "no" there, which makes a certain amount of sense as we don't normally regard hoses as "held items" but more as equipment that we're employing.

Another fun and interesting question is what the stream looks like when you spray a stream of water through one side of a time bubble and out the other.

Lol yep, would it spurt when it sped up, so while your holding the hose, it randomly stops to a trickle, and then shoots out smacking you in the face. Or would it mist, or even just be a steady slow trickle. 

We has a WoB that states when a Bullet fire in a Bendalloy Bubble leaves it, the Bubble robs it of It's momentum, restoring it to normal Speed. So Kurk. Here is my Question for you. What happens to a Bullet, fired in a Cadium Bubble? Does the Bubble increase the Bullet's Momentum, or Decrease it?

Well since my name is neither Brandon nor Peter I can't say for sure. :P

I can't see any reason why a cadmium bubble wouldn't act in the appropriately opposite way and increase the momentum of exiting objects, though.

Edited by Kurkistan