Reread... sort of

Eri

I was doing a quick scan in search of Cosmere'y stuff I didn't notice before (the more one knows, the more one notices...) and I have some observations:

1. Nightblood's corrupted Breath. It can't be corrupted by another Shard (as we've assumed in similar case in WoK), because there isn't one. Now I think it's corrupted simply by being used extremly against the Shard's intent - Endownment's intent is to give, Nightblood just DESTROYS evil. In WoK it can be a similar thing.

1b. Vivienna feels nauseated near Nightblood. In WoK we have a similar feeling, but not permanent.

2. Awakening as a way to erase memories: First, I've noticed that Vasher tells the girl to repeat a Command, so it is actually she who erases them. It may be possible to affect another person's mind or it may be not.

Whole thing seems something analogic to animating things, but it affects Cognitive instead of Physical. She commands her memories, but it's not very different from commanding a piece of cloth.

What do you thing?

edit: 3. High priest's name is Treledees. Dents was known as VaraTreledees. May be a coincidence though, like having a "John" and "sir John" in same story.

Edited by eri

I still can't help but link the fact his "corrupted" breath is black and a line included when vasher is sneaking into the court and says something along the lines of "black is a colour too he didn't know that till he became an awakener". Wonder if someone could use the colour to fuel awakening Oo whilst drawing him and all, I mean it wouldn't be easy even if possible

I can answer a couple of the questions. First off, the name thing is a coincidence. Originally, the priest was named something else, but Brandon's editor wanted to change it, so he did. The logic is that since all of the five scollars are highly revered people in world name their kids after them. (Like, naming someone Elizabeth after the queen or what have you).

Second, you can use black to awaken objects. The only color that is inert is gray -- and this includes things that are dyed gray as well.

• 2 weeks later...

We know its possible to change memories because Vasher tells Denth he can make him forget things. It obviously isnt bravado because Denth is also one of the 5 scholars, he might not be as good as Vasher but he would know if something like that was or wasn't possible. He admits as much during the conversation. Chapter 57

2. Awakening as a way to erase memories: First, I've noticed that Vasher tells the girl to repeat a Command, so it is actually she who erases them. It may be possible to affect another person's mind or it may be not.

Whole thing seems something analogic to animating things, but it affects Cognitive instead of Physical. She commands her memories, but it's not very different from commanding a piece of cloth.

Given the nature of Endowment, I personally wonder if it isn't that she destroyed her memories so much as that she gave them away, or put them into something else. Perhaps memories can only be given to a person? In that case, Vasher is probably carrying a heavier burden than we realized.

Given the nature of Endowment, I personally wonder if it isn't that she destroyed her memories so much as that she gave them away, or put them into something else. Perhaps memories can only be given to a person? In that case, Vasher is probably carrying a heavier burden than we realized.

Certainly, when someone is Returned, they can't remember anything, but those memories are simply suppressed, not erased. It follows that most memory erasing Commands would work similarly.

Certainly, when someone is Returned, they can't remember anything, but those memories are simply suppressed, not erased. It follows that most memory erasing Commands would work similarly.

Good point. Maybe the commands aren't to forget, but to hide. Of course, that always leaves the possibility that that poor girl will remember what she went through eventually. Of course, it probably won't happen while she's alive---I can imagine few situations where she would want and be able to even try.

• Chaos locked this topic