parallels between Vasher's Apparel and the Mistcloak: spoilerish

SpiteMalice

Was anyone else struck by the similarities of Vasher's (purposely) tattered rags and the tassels of the mistcloak?

Has this been discuss before?

I'm late to the warbreaker party, so Vasher's descriptions of investiture is my first exposure to such detail (beyond Pattern) and it is fascinating.

We already know he's a world hopper - is it known if he's been to scadrial? Could one "uniform" have influenced the other?

I though his clothes were just tasseled/purposefully ripped to be more human in shape, reducing the Breath necessary to Awaken them. Though you are right, he is a confirmed Worldhopper and we're missing a couple hundred years of his history. He could very easily have gone to Scadrial during that time.

Certainly the cloak was the silhouette of a man. Vi figures that out when she grabs his spare I think. "Vague shape of a man" ... Or four long ribbons

From when he gears up: "the sleeves of this one cut into long ribbons near his wrists"

"tattered cloak, which was ripped in place "

I'm not saying he would wear a mistcloak but rather suggest he may have inspired the mistcloak.

As Kal says, we know he hops worlds and there is likely a big number of years to fill.

That said, I'm just noodling on theories and certainly not married to it. Would be nice to know if and when he's visited Scadrial. TheTerriswoman (nurse?) suggests the two worlds are connected too.

I was just struck by the similarities given the mist cloak described "Large and enveloping, the cloak wasn't constructed from a single piece of cloth--rather, it was made up of hundreds of long, ribbonlike strips. They were sewn together at across the chest, but mostly they hung separate from one another, like overlapping streamers.

Kelsier threw on the garment, its strips of cloth twisting and curling, almost like the mists themselves."

Now... If there were colored kerchief jammed in mist cloaks we would know for sure :-)

• 9 months later...

Was anyone else struck by the similarities of Vasher's (purposely) tattered rags and the tassels of the mistcloak?

Has this been discuss before?

I'm late to the warbreaker party, so Vasher's descriptions of investiture is my first exposure to such detail (beyond Pattern) and it is fascinating.

We already know he's a world hopper - is it known if he's been to scadrial? Could one "uniform" have influenced the other?

There is another similarity - Vasher's rope belt, which while useful as a tool for awakening purposes, is also an essential part of a Mistborn's wardrobe to protect from allomantic manipulation. I could see Vasher adapting such a precaution if he had visited Scadrial on some occasion, and learned the dangers of allomancy.

(sorry to bring back such an old topic, but this simple speculative post doesn't seem to merit its own thread)

There is another similarity - Vasher's rope belt, which while useful as a tool for awakening purposes, is also an essential part of a Mistborn's wardrobe to protect from allomantic manipulation. I could see Vasher adapting such a precaution if he had visited Scadrial on some occasion, and learned the dangers of allomancy.

(sorry to bring back such an old topic, but this simple speculative post doesn't seem to merit its own thread)

As the other guy says, he actually uses the rope on a regular basis, and it took Damnation near 9th heightening and a thousand breaths to just awaken a sword to try and "destroy evil" yet still fail miserably. Nalthian metal is useless to Vasher :P

Soulcast metal on the other hand. That apparently works depending on what it was made from. But no soulcasters on Nalthis.

Can we get a source for that? I'd not heard that before.

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/8819-awakening-a-corpse-that-has-been-soulcast-confirmed-by-wob/

Scroll down a bit.

Apparently you can make a Lifeless from a corpse no matter what it is now made of, so it checks whether it "was alive" cognitively or spiritually rather than any form of material in particular. Only requirement for lifeless that I recall is a corpse.

Now I want to see a soulcast Returned.

• 3 months later...

In an interview, Brandon said that Vasher was imitating honorblades when he created Nightblood. There has been some lively debate about whether that means he actually knew about Honorblades (and had presumably visited Roshar) before the creation of Nightblood. There are some compelling arguments that he did, such as the unusual size of Nightblood (which is much closer in size to an honorblade).

If this is indeed the case, I could imagine him, as one of the five scholars, visiting Scadrial and borrowing the idea of the Mistcloak (or perhaps inspiring it, as has been suggested earlier).

In an interview, Brandon said that Vasher was imitating honorblades when he created Nightblood. There has been some lively debate about whether that means he actually knew about Honorblades (and had presumably visited Roshar) before the creation of Nightblood. There are some compelling arguments that he did, such as the unusual size of Nightblood (which is much closer in size to an honorblade).

If this is indeed the case, I could imagine him, as one of the five scholars, visiting Scadrial and borrowing the idea of the Mistcloak (or perhaps inspiring it, as has been suggested earlier).

What was actually said was that somebody involved in the creation of Nightblood knew that Shardblades existed, honorblades were not mentioned nor was it established that Vasher was the one that knew about Shardblades.

• Chaos locked this topic