Finally posting here

Argenti

Hi I'm Argenti! (No relation to that other guy)

I'm a lover of sci-fi and fantasy, and I've read pretty much the entire Cosmere (Save for white sands, which I can not for the life of me find). I've read most really popular high fantasy (Hot take! The Wheel of Time drags on.) and always looking for book recommendations. And really, I choose my name before I ever opened any online Forums (It's just silver in Latin). Currently, I'm reading "A Gathering of Shadows" by V. E. Schwab. 

2 hours ago, Argenti said:

I'm a lover of sci-fi and fantasy, and I've read pretty much the entire Cosmere (Save for white sands, which I can not for the life of me find). I've read most really popular high fantasy (Hot take! The Wheel of Time drags on.) and always looking for book recommendations. And really, I choose my name before I ever opened any online Forums (It's just silver in Latin). Currently, I'm reading "A Gathering of Shadows" by V. E. Schwab. 

Great to see you, welcome to the Shard!

On 19/3/2023 at 11:24 AM, Argenti said:

:lol: Lol. “That other guy” is an almighty powerful moderator, minion of the Lord Ruler of the Forums Chaos. 

Welcome! :D. What is your favourite Shardworld?

5 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

:lol: Lol. “That other guy” is an almighty powerful moderator, minion of the Lord Ruler of the Forums Chaos. 

Welcome! :D. What is your favourite Shardworld?

Personally, my favorite is Sel,  If I'm being honest, it's mostly because of Shai but the magic systems and whatever is happening to D&D's power seems pretty cool. Any ideas about what the third empire is?

8 hours ago, Lost Lobo said:

Welcome, Argenti!

Try here: https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewProduct.html?PRO=C132295  for the new White Sand omnibus :)

Thanks!

(just a question, how do you quote a specific part of someone else's post?)

Edited by Argenti

On 3/18/2023 at 7:24 PM, Argenti said:

Also Argenti is silver in French with a spare i. 

Book recommendations? Well...
Discworld, Satirical Humorous Fantasy

The Three Body Problem, Hard scifi

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Humorous Scifi

Good Omens, Satirical Humorous Fantasy

Edited by The last Fae in the Woods

4 hours ago, The last Fae in the Woods said:

Also Argenti is silver in French with a spare i. 

Book recommendations? Well...
Discworld, Satirical Humorous Fantasy

The Three Body Problem, Hard scifi

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Humorous Scifi

Good Omens, Satirical Humorous Fantasy

Mhh, I really gotta read the tree body problem

9 hours ago, Argenti said:

There’s two ways. 1. You highlight the part of their post that you want to post and click the “quote this” bubble that comes up. 2. You can quote a post normally and delete the text that you don’t want :)

On 3/20/2023 at 7:24 AM, Argenti said:

Thanks!

You are welcome! I'm sitting on that link myself, thinking it will be my "fun" money for next month or so. I have the three previous ones, so, it's harder to justify than a brand new book.

I quote their entire post, and then delete the text in the quote box that isn't addressed to me :)

Edited by Lost Lobo

2 minutes ago, Lost Lobo said:

You are welcome! I'm sitting on that link myself, thinking it will be my "fun" money for next month or so. I have the three previous ones, so, it's harder to justify than a brand new book.

It doesn't help I'm a broke 15-year-old without a job!

On a different note, how does the whole reputation thing work? I keep getting notified someone is giving me reputation?

Edited by Argenti

3 minutes ago, Argenti said:

Diskworld seems really funny (from what I've heard), I'll see if my local library has it

You can't go wrong with it :D I do recommend reading in order, at least within the various "series" within the broader Discworld "Series", if you can (if your library can support it).

I'll admit, I'm a little jealous; you still have it all new in front of you. Fun :D

Edited by Lost Lobo

10 minutes ago, Lost Lobo said:

You can't go wrong with it :D I do recommend reading in order, at least within the various "series" within the broader Discworld "Series", if you can (if your library can support it).

I'll admit, I'm a little jealous; you still have it all new in front of you. Fun :D

What order? Discworld apparently has several ways to read them (All 41!? I Thought the Cosmre was big!), ranging from chronological, to mini-series?

Just give me a starting book (my library supposedly has 90 discworld books)

(while searching I found out the next town over has the first two white sands books!)

Edited by Argenti

37 minutes ago, Argenti said:

What order? Discworld apparently has several ways to read them (All 41!? I Thought the Cosmre was big!), ranging from chronological, to mini-series?

(while searching I found out the next town over has the first two white sands books!)

First book: ... The Wee Free Men, do mini series order

6 hours ago, Argenti said:

Yeah, all the interplay and how awesome it was between series really set me up well for the Cosmere cross overs. Bonus: (SP1 Spoiler)

Spoiler

Sanderson has clearly read his Pratchett, and Tess of the Emerald Sea is written in a style very similar to Pratchett's.... but the actual narrator is Hoid, which means Hoid tells stories like Pratchett, which I am very - very - excited about :)

As for various orders? Oof. Here's a tree:

Pratchett Tree.jpg

(citation, in case that matters, here; I am newish myself)

As you can see, there are a lot of options to choose from.

Wizards - ridiculousness, mostly centered around Rincewind, the Disc's worst and most cowardly wizard.

Witches - fun, with lots of call outs to deep roundworld (read: earth) fairy tale lore

Death - fantasy hero saves the world, usually with Death (as in, the grim reaper) as a supporting character

City Watch - Ever try to be a beat cop in a city that basically works like self-ordering anarchy (which is legal! ish.), in which your villain may made out of stone, or a basically unkillable vampire, or a freaking dragon (immediate citations: disturbing the peace. arson. loitering with intent. general intent.)? I'm underselling it, this is in many ways the "core" series of the Discworld series.

Moist Von Lipwig - my favorite character. A Con-Man is captured, and, for his punishment, forced into government service (it turns out there is a surprisingly large overlap in necessary skill sets).

Edited by Lost Lobo

2 hours ago, The last Fae in the Woods said:

Wow, someone got a list of the arcs! 

Yeah he has, he made a post somewhere about Pratchett.

Also does anyone want a cookie? Cookie.

On that note, can someone explain what the heck the alleyverse is?

I read the intro page on the wiki and still have no idea

14 minutes ago, Argenti said:

On that note, can someone explain what the heck the alleyverse is?

I read the intro page on the wiki and still have no idea

No clue, I just run other RPs, I think the alleyverse is a combo realm of a lot of Sanderson's works in one city, you submit a char in a time period and someone will run it.