Quick Fix 65: More Deception: Murder in the Cosmere

Welcome to round 2 of QF65!

The complete rules can be found in doc form here, or in the spoilers below (note the inactivity filter!):

Spoiler

Factions and Roles

Spoiler

There are two factions in the game, the Investigators and the Conspirators.

The possible roles are listed below and colored to represent the faction they are in (The numbers in parentheses indicates how many of each role will be in the game).

Oracle (1- the GM)

The GM in this game is called “the Oracle,” and plays a role in the investigation. The Oracle knows everything about the crime- The identities of the Assassin and Co-conspirator(s), as well as what the Means of Murder and Key Evidence are, and it is their job to assist the Investigators in identifying each of these. They are not allowed to post freely and discuss things openly like the rest of the players, but instead have specific “Tiles” that they can use to give clues to the Investigators (see below). The Oracle wins/loses the game with the Investigators.

Investigators (Unlimited #)

Your job is to correctly identify the Assassin, as well as the Method of Murder they used and the Key Evidence they left behind. If any player successfully solves the crime before the end of Cycle 3 (and if the Witness survives- see below), then the Assassin is caught and executed and the Investigators win the game.

Assassin (1)

You are the Assassin who killed the Victim. At the start of the game, you must choose 1 of the Evidence cards and 1 of the Method cards assigned to you. These become the “Key Evidence” and “Method of Murder,” respectively. You should focus your efforts on concealing your role and finding scapegoats to blame.

You win the game if the Investigators have not correctly identified you along with the Key Evidence and Method of Murder by the end of Cycle 3. Alternatively, if you are successfully accused and the Witness is in the game, you can win by successfully identifying (and eliminating) the Witness.

Co-conspirator (0+, depending on the # of players)

You are a Co-conspirator with the Assassin. You know who the Assassin is as well as the solution to the crime. If the Assassin gets away with the crime, you win, but if they are caught then you lose. You should try to obfuscate the truth and lead the investigation astray. The Co-conspirators share a document with the Assassin.

Witness (0-1, depending on the # of players)

You stumbled across the scene of the crime just in time to see the Assassin and their Co-conspirator(s) fleeing, so you begin the game knowing who the Conspirators are, but not which one of them is the Assassin. You should use your knowledge to help the Investigators correctly solve the crime, but beware- if the Conspirators can correctly identify you at the end of the game then the Assassin will slay you and without your testimony, they will get away with the murder. You win/lose the game with the Investigators.

Gameplay

Spoiler

Basics

This game shares some similarities with your typical SE game, but plays out quite differently. The Investigators have 3 Cycles (24 hours long) to correctly identify the Assassin along with the Method of Murder and the Key Evidence. Each player only gets 1 chance to solve the crime. During the 3rd cycle, players may extend the cycle to 48 hours by majority vote if the crime is not solved in the first 24 hours of that cycle.

There is no player elimination- everyone is in until the end of the game.

PMs are not allowed for this game.

The Assassin and Co-Conspirator(s) will have a doc with which to conspire in.

RP is allowed and welcome, but not required.

The GM’s spreadsheet will be used to randomly draw “cards” and “tiles,” and will be open info- all players will have access to the spreadsheet (though the important info will also be copied to the thread, so players do not need to reference the spreadsheet if they don’t want to).

Setup

At the beginning of the game, each player will be randomly assigned 5 Method cards and 5 Evidence cards. These cards are public knowledge- every player will know what Methods and Evidences the other players have. Players will also be told their role via PM, and it will be announced if a Witness is included. The Assassin will have 24 hours to select one Method of Murder and one Key Evidence from the cards assigned to them, and then the game proper will begin.

First Cycle

At the start of the first cycle, the Oracle begins by posting 6 “tiles.” Each tile has a number of different details about the scene of the crime. The Oracle uses these tiles to give hints to the Investigators, as follows:

The “Cause of Death” tile is used in every game.

The Oracle chooses 1 of the 4 “Location” tiles.

Lastly, the Oracle randomly selects 4 the “Scene” tiles  (Note: If the randomizer selects an “Event” tile, it is ignored and a new Scene tile is selected).

Once the tiles are chosen, the Oracle chooses and marks one item on each tile that best fits the crime. For example, the Oracle’s post at the start of the first round might look something like this:

Spoiler

Cause of Death

Location of Crime

Motive

Weather

Hint on Corpse

General Impression

Suffocation

Sitting Room

Hatred

Sunny

Head

Common

Severe Injury

Bedroom

Justice/Revenge

Stormy

Chest

Creative

Loss of Blood

Cellar

Necessity

Dry

Hand

Suspicious

Supernatural

Bathhouse

Greed

Humid

Leg

Supernatural

Poisoning/Sickness

Kitchen

Power

Cold

Partial

Horrible

Accident

Balcony

Love

Unusual

All-over

Suspenseful

All players are then free to use the thread to discuss the Scene tiles, the Evidences and Methods, their suspicions, etc. A player may attempt to solve the crime at any time during the game by Making an Accusation (see below). 

Second and Third Cycles

At the start of each round after the First, the Oracle randomly selects a new Tile and does the following:

If it is a Scene Tile, they choose one of the Scene Tiles in play except the “Cause of Death” and “Location” Tiles and replaces it with the new one.

If it is an Event Tile, they display it for all players to see and resolve its effects.

Making an Accusation

The Investigators’ goal is to solve the crime by correctly identifying these 3 things:

1. The Assassin
  2. The Method of Murder
  3. And the Key Evidence

Each player only gets one Attempt to solve the crime during the game- this is tracked on the spreadsheet and made public knowledge, so everybody knows who has/hasn’t made an Attempt yet. To Attempt to solve the crime, please do the following:

1. Post in the thread that you are Making an Accusation, and color the text red.
  2. Declare which Player you are accusing, along with the Method you think they used and the Evidence they left behind (by choosing one of the Methods and one of the Evidences assigned to the accused player)
  3. Mention the Oracle by using the @<username> function of the site (or by quoting one of the Oracle’s posts).

An Accusation will not be counted unless it follows all 3 of these steps. For Example: When Dalinar is ready to make an accusation, his post might look something like this:

I am making an Accusation! I accuse Szeth of being the Assassin, and I think he used Lashing to commit the murder and that the Key Evidence he left behind is the Message Written in Blood.

The Oracle will respond to each Accusation as soon as possible (by the end of the current cycle, at the latest), as follows:

If the Player, Method, and Evidence are all guessed correctly, they will say “Yes.” The Investigators then win the game.

If any part of the Accusation is wrong, then the Oracle will simply answer “No” without giving any further information.

NOTE: If a player make an Accusation and is wrong, they are not eliminated from the game. They are free to continue discussing and posting their suspicions and trying to persuade other investigators to their point of view, but they are not allowed to make any more Accusations.

Killing the Key Witness

If the Witness role is in the game and the crime is successfully solved, then the Conspirators get one final chance to win the game. They will have 24 hours to discuss and decide which player they believe is the Witness. When ready they will post the Player’s name in the main thread in red. If they guess correctly, then they kill the Witness and successfully escape Justice, thus winning the game.

End of the Game

The game ends will end when one of the following things happens:

1. A player makes an Accusation and correctly identifies the Assassin, the Method of Murder, and the Key Evidence.
  2. All players except for the Assassin and the Co-conspirator(s) have made their Accusations and have failed to correctly solve the crime
  3. The countdown timer for Cycle 3 ends.

The Investigators win if someone makes a successful Accusation and the Conspirators fail to correctly identify the Witness.

The Conspirators win if the Investigators fail to solve the Crime before the game ends OR if the Investigators solve the Crime and the Conspirators can correctly identify (and eliminate) the Witness.

Inactivity Filter

Spoiler

Every player is required to post at least once per cycle. At the end of each cycle, any player who has not made a post that cycle (exceptions may be made if the player announces in advance that they will not be able to participate for a particular cycle) will be replaced by a pinch hitter. If there are no pinch hitters available, then the inactive player loses their Attempt to solve for this game, and a random active player will be given an extra Attempt instead (if the inactive player has already used their Attempt, then nothing happens). Because there is no player elimination, Inactive players who are not replaced by a pinch hitter are still in the game and may still be Accused of being the Assassin (or the Witness).

And here is a schedule of events (the listed day is when that cycle starts):

Spoiler

Monday C0 - just talking

Tuesday C1 - 

Wednesday C2 - 

Thursday C3 - can be extended to

Friday too. Last day for accusations. 

Signups will close at 5:00PM EST on Monday the 20th, and the game will start shortly afterwards.

If you don't think you have the bandwidth to play as the Witness/Assassin/Co-conspirator, let me know in a PM or through Discord and I'll take that into consideration when building the distribution (no promises though).

@Devotary of Spontaneity will be the IM for this game.

Here is a link to the spreadsheet I will be using to run the game.

Round 1 Player List (you need to sign up again, this is just to ping everyone):

Spoiler
  1. @xinoehp512 - Jacob
  2. @JNV - Jen
  3. @Cinnamon - Jude
  4. @The Wandering Wizard - Jango
  5. @The Known Novel - Jounger Gerri
  6. @StrikerEZ - Jariel
  7. @Ashbringer - Jekyl
  8. @Sart - Jerome
  9. @Matrim's Dice - Jatrim
  10. @Amanuensis - J'aman
  11. @Kasimir - Jean-Guy Chrétien
  12. @Archer - Jello
  13. @|TJ| - JJ
  14. @The Bookwyrm - Jerald
  15. @Fifth Scholar - Just Judge Jehoshaphat
  16. @Shining Silhouette - Jaculiferous Jack
  17. @TheAlpha929 - Jorazh

Quick Links:

Spoiler

Pinch Hitters:

Spoiler
Edited by Araris Valerian

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. @The Known Novel - A Witness
  2. @Amanuensis - Ara’Araman
  3. @Kasimir - Aurel Kourakis
  4. @TheAlpha929 - Alpha
  5. @Fifth Scholar - Athanasius
  6. @JNV - Ajeni
  7. @_Stick_ - Attic
  8. @Matrim's Dice - Assassin
  9. @The Wandering Wizard - Aragorn
  10. @Archer - Archer
  11. @Ashbringer - AraRaash
  12. @Telrao - Allswell
  13. @StrikerEZ - Adodin
  14. @|TJ| - Aanalan
  15. @Tani - Amoeba
  16. @Sart - Aesop
  17. @xinoehp512 - Absolute Anarchy

Rule Clarifications:

Spoiler

If a player is removed due to inactivity but not replaced, their Accusation will be transferred to a random player of the same alignment

In the hopes of making Araris RP as the Aracle, I'm going to break the pattern and sign up with an A name >:)

Aurel Kourakis is a new member of the SPF, and looking to take on an actual case for the first time.

Edited by Kasimir

Just now, Kasimir said:

In the hopes of making Araris RP as the Aracle, I'm going to break the pattern and sign up with an A name >:)

Aurel Kolurakis is a new member of the SPF, and looking to take on an actual case for the first time.

I’ll be Ara’Araman then

42 minutes ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Alighting as an Ardent Anti-Apostate, Athanasius.

You know, the last time I picked a character name in that vein, I accidentally named my character Irish for rectum :/

4 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Amazing.

Be funnier if their roles reversed :P 

Just now, TheAlpha929 said:

Oh wait nvm I’ll be Alpha 

@Araris Valerian ICYMI.

Edited by Kasimir

1 hour ago, Araris Valerian said:
Spoiler

If a player is removed due to inactivity but not replaced, their Accusation will be transferred to a random player of the same alignment

Wanted to ask about the impact this has on gameplay. Suppose I'm Village and InactivePlayer's Accusation comes to me. Given that as long as one of us accuses right, and the Witness isn't found, we win, does this essentially give me the ability to clear (for myself) one player from PoE entirely?

2 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Wanted to ask about the impact this has on gameplay. Suppose I'm Village and InactivePlayer's Accusation comes to me. Given that as long as one of us accuses right, and the Witness isn't found, we win, does this essentially give me the ability to clear (for myself) one player from PoE entirely?

Yeah, unfortunately I'm not sure that there is a great way to deal with this situation. If you have an idea, I'm all ears.

Edit: Actually, I just won't say which Accusation went where. That way at most this could clear one person for one person.

1 minute ago, Araris Valerian said:

Yeah, unfortunately I'm not sure that there is a great way to deal with this situation. If you have an idea, I'm all ears.

Here’s an idea: Don’t go inactive!

:D.