Quick Fix 65: More Deception: Murder in the Cosmere

53 minutes ago, The Known Novel said:

Okay. I'm giving into my tunnel.

@Araris Valerian

Matrim's Dice, with the highstorm, in the billiard room and the discarded weapon.

Yes.

Cycle 2.5

Jounger Gerry's accusation rang throughout the hall, and it immediately resonated with the other Investigators. Several SPF members were dispatched to Roshar, and after a short while one of them returned, having found the deceased ravaged by a Highstorm, their discarded weapon blown to the ground beside them. The Investigators noticed that Jatrim had fled, but he would not be able to escape their justice for long.

Congrats to @The Known Novel for correctly solving the crime! However, the Assassin and his Co-conspirators have one final chance to escape justice. In the next 24 hours they must correctly guess the identity of the Witness. @Matrim's Dice, your timer has begun, and will end at 9 PM Eastern Time tomorrow.

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. xinoehp512/@Whysper - Jacob
  2. @JNV - Jen
  3. Cinnamon - Jude
  4. The Wandering Wizard - Jango
  5. @The Known Novel - Jounger Gerri
  6. @StrikerEZ - Jariel
  7. @Ashbringer - Jekyl
  8. @Sart - Jerome
  9. @Matrim's Dice - Jatrim
  10. @Amanuensis - J'aman
  11. @Kasimir - Jean-Guy Chrétien
  12. @Archer - Jello
  13. @|TJ| - JJ
  14. The Bookwyrm - Jerald
  15. @Fifth Scholar - Just Judge Jehoshaphat
  16. Shining Silhouette - Jaculiferous Jack
  17. @TheAlpha929 - Jorazh

Don't Praise the Ja >:|

...Anyway:

I've narrowed it down to two.

Anyone want to help?

Edit: @Araris Valerian, when I accuse someone of being the Witness do I do it the same way people make accusations of the crime?

Edited by Matrim's Dice

Just now, Matrim's Dice said:

Don't Praise the Ja >:|

...Anyway:

I've narrowed it down to two.

Anyone want to help?

Edit: @Araris Valerian, when I accuse someone of being the Witness do I do it the same way people make accusations of the crime?

Yeah, just @ me and use bold red text. You are killing the person after all.

Just now, Araris Valerian said:

Yeah, just @ me and use bold red text. You are killing the person after all.

Excellent, thank you >:)

I probably will go for it in a few hours. I want to hear input from my team. And see reactions from everyone else.

12 minutes ago, The Known Novel said:

Honestly, I've got no idea. I'm probably your best bet, actually. In fact, yes, pick me, that will work out well for everyone involved.

It's not you, unless you're as good of an actor as you are a guesser. Which I wouldn't put my money on.

Edit: Legitimately the upvotes on this scare me more than anything else >>

Edited by Matrim's Dice

Well. Damn. That’s not the thought process I was going down at all. I was all ready to come in here and guess Aman, based on the vibes I was getting from him. Hadn’t decided on which of his clues to guess yet, but I was pretty sure he was an elim.

With that done, I am very curious to see who the Witness is. Even as an Investigator, I hope it wasn’t one of the complete inactivates. Just for the elims’ sakes.

Just now, StrikerEZ said:

With that done, I am very curious to see who the Witness is. Even as an Investigator, I hope it wasn’t one of the complete inactivates. Just for the elims’ sakes.

You

and

me

both

.-.

Just now, StrikerEZ said:

Well. Damn. That’s not the thought process I was going down at all. I was all ready to come in here and guess Aman, based on the vibes I was getting from him. Hadn’t decided on which of his clues to guess yet, but I was pretty sure he was an elim.

So do I.

I'm kinda thinking Archer because of his posts early (this cycle?)

12 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

It's not you, unless you're as good of an actor as you are a guesser. Which I wouldn't put my money on.

Hey :(. Personally, I still think you should guess me, I'm a very witnessy person.

7 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Well

I wanted to get more reactions but I suppose I want to guess more

If it’s TJ I get brownie points

@Araris Valerian I accuse Archer of Witnessing when I lured the unnamed victim into the Highstorm by throwing my weapon, like a dog to the bone.

That is incorrect. I'll post an aftermath and signups for the next round sometime tomorrow.

Welp. Probably the most okay with that out of anything. Would have been annoyed if it was TJ, really annoyed if it were an inactive, and I’d have felt helpless if it were anyone else. But you… I can live with being completely duped.

Well played! :P Definitely didn’t think your risk tolerance was high enough to guess when and how you did as the Witness. Happy to be proved wrong. And once again, Ash’s instincts prove good. I should listen to his random thoughts more :P.

20 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Welp. Probably the most okay with that out of anything. Would have been annoyed if it was TJ, really annoyed if it were an inactive, and I’d have felt helpless if it were anyone else. But you… I can live with being completely duped.

Well played! :P Definitely didn’t think your risk tolerance was high enough to guess when and how you did as the Witness. Happy to be proved wrong. And once again, Ash’s instincts prove good. I should listen to his random thoughts more :P.

Yeah, never doubt my risk tolerance. If I had it my way, we'd be doing a WGG every elim game it was possible and fakeclaiming left and right. 

Edit: My guess for Mat's teammates is Cin, Ash, and Sart.

Edited by The Known Novel

26 minutes ago, The Known Novel said:

Yeah, never doubt my risk tolerance. If I had it my way, we'd be doing a WGG every elim game it was possible and fakeclaiming left and right. 

Edit: My guess for Mat's teammates is Cin, Ash, and Sart.

hOw DId yOu KnOw

3 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

@Araris Valerian I accuse Archer of Witnessing when I lured the unnamed victim into the Highstorm by throwing my weapon, like a dog to the bone.

I'll take this as the You Were Close award :P. 

I think I'd talked myself out of Highstorm, so I'm glad TKN pulled the trigger. I look forward to the debrief where we get to see what Araris was thinking. Discarded weapon is an interesting revelation. 

Thank the Force, I can go play Wrath without guilt now :D

1 hour ago, Archer said:

I think I'd talked myself out of Highstorm, so I'm glad TKN pulled the trigger. I look forward to the debrief where we get to see what Araris was thinking. Discarded weapon is an interesting revelation. 

Similar, but 'Religious Worship' now makes sense to me though I see why it threw us off. Religious Worship - victim was praying not to die in the Highstorm, or just praying because Highstorms are terrifying crem in a hut/shack.

As soon as the accusation had been voiced, Jatrim made himself scarce. It was clear that someone had witnessed his murder, and now his only hope lay in killing that person to cover his tracks. After some quick deliberation, Jatrim began stalking Jello, waiting for an opportune moment to strike. Just as he was slitting the Investigator's throat, a voice called out from the shadows, and the SPF rushed in, disarming Jatrim and healing Jello. As Jatrim was bound and led away, he saw the piercing gaze of Jounger Gerri following him, and knew that he'd missed the witness.

The game is over, and congratulations to the Investigators for winning!

My thoughts on my choices:

Spoiler

Cause of Death: A highstorm seemed like something that would generally be accidental, though I was tempted to pick Supernatural for this as well. In general, the highstorm seemed a lot more distinctive, so most of my clues were focused on that, with the hopes that players would have enough guesses to narrow things from there.

Location: Again thinking about the highstorm, I liked this tile because the hut is really the only one of these locations you could be killed by a highstorm in, while the other tiles with options more fitting (wilderness, field, etc.) had multiple choices that could go with highstorm. I also felt like it was plausible that a weapon could be left behind in a shack, though the other food items fit that as well.

Evidence: So I felt like this was an obvious fit as a clue for the Key Evidence, which is why I went with manmade.

Clothes: This seemed like a pretty easy way to clue into highstorm; being naked is related to dying of exposure. It also seemed like it would lead away from a lot of other options.

Time of Death: I didn't really know what to do here. Highstorms aren't really limited by time of day, and a weapon doesn't really match a particular time either, so I was mostly trying to clue away from anything that would specifically happen at night.

In Progress: Another tile I didn't really know what to do with. The options here didn't really fit either the Method or the Evidence that well in my opinion, but I was thinking that highstorms have some religious ties on Roshar, and was planning on making this the first tile I replaced. Not picking Feast might have helped narrow down the Evidence options for anyone that was guessing Mat as the Assassin.

Corpse Condition: This seemed like another great opportunity to clue into the highstorm. If I could pick a word I would have liked on this tile it would have been "mangled", but Twisted came pretty close.

I'm still very shocked that TKN got things correct, and was somewhat concerned that Mat would pick him out as the Witness. Hopefully everyone enjoyed this round, and let me know if you have any feedback that you think should impact how the second round is run.

The next round will start at rollover time on Monday, and I'll put up signups in a bit.

Elim Doc
Spec Doc

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. @xinoehp512 - Jacob - Investigator
  2. @JNV - Jen- Investigator
  3. @Cinnamon - Jude - Co-conspirator
  4. @The Wandering Wizard - Jango - Investigator
  5. @The Known Novel - Jounger Gerri - Witness
  6. @StrikerEZ - Jariel - Investigator
  7. @Ashbringer - Jekyl - Co-conspirator
  8. @Sart - Jerome - Co-conspirator