Quick Fix 65: More Deception: Murder in the Cosmere

2 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

That’s Ash’s list, actually. He’s right under.

Oh good catch

Ash has got a Chasmfiend as method of murder. The Plains are technically wilderness, and Chasmfiends are scavengers meaning they’d only severely injure the victim instead of eating them whole (so the partial condition is satisfied as well) 

17 minutes ago, _Stick_ said:

Ash has got a Chasmfiend as method of murder. The Plains are technically wilderness, and Chasmfiends are scavengers meaning they’d only severely injure the victim instead of eating them whole (so the partial condition is satisfied as well) 

Slave = Bridgeman? That's why not peasant?

4 minutes ago, Telrao said:

I'm also looking at Nightmaw - would that suit the criterion as well? (And are hallendren dyes invested I dunno)

If they're the Tears of Edgli, yes. The issue is that the Tears of Edgli are a subset of Hallendren dyes but I honestly think the better question is if Araris consulted Coppermind or agonised over it. I could see him shrugging and approximating with Tears of Edgli. 

I like Stick's chasmfiend thought though - it'd make sense of Slave at the very least. 

Because if Nightmaw, you'd think he'd go for Working Class or Peasant, which is an approximation of Trapper. Slave is specific. And we now know 'Slave' doesn't seem to relate to the Evidence, so...

Edited to add:

56 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Do we reckon metal in general (such as Metal Flakes, Corroded Silver, or Aluminum Ingots) would count as invested? 

According to Coppermind, no. But my pre-Coppermind intuition was yes. So the question I feel is whether Araris would have gone with Coppermind or not. I think the fact the pre-Coppermind intuition, as demonstrated by Mat, says yes is good enough reason to think Araris might have counted it. Feels a bit like the 'is tomato a vegetable or fruit' debate in this context. Sure, technically it is a fruit, but if you're trying to put a category that people will recognise...

Edited by Kasimir

Just now, _Stick_ said:

Yes! And the applications of bloodsealing are pretty close to slavery in comparison to other ranks. 

Though does the sudden sound clue fit?

Loud chasmfiend noise? If death was swift, there might not even have been screaming, or the chasmfiend roaring would've covered it. I'm going through the other options right now on my spreadsheet, but I think that the fact this at least accounts for why Araris thought the Slave clue mattered and went for Slave over Peasant/Working Class is a point in its favour.

The one issue with a Patji animal IMO e.g. Nightmaw is that you have to explain why he didn't just go Peasant or Working Class. We know it's Invested Evidence, and that appears to have little to do with Slavery or Wilderness, just looking at our list of Evidence candidates.

might consider burning my Accusation to knock this off the table, if you'd rather keep yours in reserve, but I don't want to make that decision prior to actually going over my spreadsheet for other possibilities first.

My brain is screaming TJ Nightmaw Death Rattle but I dont really get how elderly slave fits in there and like the chasmfiend would probabbly not be a sudden sound Im pretty sure and you know what 

@Araris Valerian Im making an accusation I accuse TJ of using a Nightmaw and leaving behind a Death Rattle

21 minutes ago, _Stick_ said:

Though does the sudden sound clue fit?

I think - or at least was stumbling towards this thought yesterday - taking it too literally is not helpful because if death is not instant or fairly instant, there will be screaming as well, meaning no 'sudden' sound. I take this to mean that the encounter -> cause of death -> death has to be fairly compressed together, not that there has to be literally just one sound. A chasmfiend roaring as it detects prey, killing the bridgeman more or less instantly/via severe injury, would sort of fit that ballpark, especially if Araris wanted to rule out more prolonged options. But this is me theorising here, I'm still fixing my spreadsheet for C2 info.

Edited to add:

Let's track failed Accusations as well.

Aman - Sart = Whitespine + Lockpicks
Alpha - Wiz = Pistol + Bullet Casings
Sart - Archer = Stone + Black Sphere

Edited by Kasimir

20 minutes ago, JNV said:

My brain is screaming TJ Nightmaw Death Rattle but I dont really get how elderly slave fits in there and like the chasmfiend would probabbly not be a sudden sound Im pretty sure and you know what 

@Araris Valerian Im making an accusation I accuse TJ of using a Nightmaw and leaving behind a Death Rattle

No.

Allomantic metals are the focus, but not the source, of Allomancy's power.[7] When an Allomancer burns a metal, that metal's specific molecular structure acts as a conduit to Preservation, and then the Allomancer is granted an ability corresponding to the metal, allowing the metal to "focus" Preservation's power to the user. Each metal is the only way a mortal can access Preservation and the power of creation,[8] after which it is vaporized.[9] However, this is only true for the base sixteen Allomantic metals and not God Metals or their alloys.

This is the specific statement with regard to Allomantic metals, which strongly implies they are not themselves Invested. There's actually similar* statements for Forgery or Bloodsealing but my intuition is that Araris likely didn't hairsplit, so we are better off not going down that trap.

3 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

No.

I act surprised...

Death Rattles really don't seem like a good fit for Invested Evidence.

I think the failure of Sart's accusation makes me think Archer is likely cleared as well unless someone believes Parshendi is persuasive here. (I don't really think so.)

21 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Loud chasmfiend noise? If death was swift, there might not even have been screaming, or the chasmfiend roaring would've covered it. I'm going through the other options right now on my spreadsheet, but I think that the fact this at least accounts for why Araris thought the Slave clue mattered and went for Slave over Peasant/Working Class is a point in its favour.

The one issue with a Patji animal IMO e.g. Nightmaw is that you have to explain why he didn't just go Peasant or Working Class. We know it's Invested Evidence, and that appears to have little to do with Slavery or Wilderness, just looking at our list of Evidence candidates.

might consider burning my Accusation to knock this off the table, if you'd rather keep yours in reserve, but I don't want to make that decision prior to actually going over my spreadsheet for other possibilities first.

Sure I can do it. My other option was Mat, Bands, Rotspren and I have an elaborate theory about how that would count as wilderness but I’ll try this one it’s better 

I am making an ACCUSATION U_U against Ashbringer. For he has used a Chasmfiend to commit murder and left behind a bloodseal as evidence.

27 minutes ago, _Stick_ said:

I am making an ACCUSATION U_U against Ashbringer. For he has used a Chasmfiend to commit murder and left behind a bloodseal as evidence.

Yes. I'm in the middle of something but the 24 hour countdown starts now.

Edited by Araris Valerian

3 minutes ago, _Stick_ said:

Now what happens? The elims reveal themselves to solve the witness problem yeah? 

Yeah we have twenty four hours to do it.

.................For legal reasons this is a joke, please nobody Village-side react to this I wanted to make the joke but also didn't want to accidentally create a reaction test.

Edited to add:

1 minute ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Y'all were misleading yourselves so nicely in the first half of the game too :( 

I have faith in rational convergence :)

anyone want to confess :ph34r: 

Why would we? :) I gotta say though, the best Merlin play I ever made was just deliberately doing things and forgetting who the Elims were :P Can't betray the fact you are the Village win con and have TMI if you don't recall anything.

Edited by Kasimir

Y'all were misleading yourselves so nicely in the first half of the game too :( 

had I decided on Ash's clues for fun I would have gone enhanced strength + chouta but that would have been very easy to sus out :P 

anyone want to confess :ph34r: 

I'd have done Chasmfiend but a fake clue the first cycle...would have been such a fun plan.

1 minute ago, _Stick_ said:

Now that I’m thinking about it, how are the elims even supposed to guess this without hints and clues? I agree with kas that the witness could’ve just been playing normally lmao. 

Well, it's pretty easy to tell when the Witness copies the previous Witness's technique >.>

So, Stick, do you want to do this the easy way or the hard way?

1 minute ago, _Stick_ said:

Now that I’m thinking about it, how are the elims even supposed to guess this without hints and clues? I agree with kas that the witness could’ve just been playing normally lmao. 

If you've played this genre/type of game before, there are ways. I'll leave it at that as I don't like playing for that team :P 

2 minutes ago, _Stick_ said:

You've certainly made it difficult for us <_< Unless it's the simple answer again. Who we thinking of voting, gang?