Quick Fix 65: More Deception: Murder in the Cosmere

32 minutes ago, Tani said:
Somehow I have breath. Can kandra have those? Is that even legal? 

[OOC: I think so? I’m sure there are some WoBs about it.] 

Alpha found a crate on his doorstep. He picked it up and walked inside, dropping the crate on the table and walking to his kitchen to get a drink. Beverage in hand, he strode back over to the table, and opened the box. Inside, he found various items, including a steel metalmind. He reached in and took it out. He could feel the reserve. Excellent! There was a huge amount of speed stored. Alpha set that to the side, and looked back through the crate. The rest of the box was useful, for the most part. He sighed, walking to his room and lying down on the bed. It had been a long day. Time to rest.

Edited by TheAlpha929

AraRaash tried on his new set of Shardplate. It wasn't exactly what he'd been hoping for, but he hadn't been able to attract a spren for... a very long time. But combined with everything else it could come in very handy.

He'd just need to find a way to paint it...

A new contingent of the SPF, the "Accusers", had been formed in response to the death of the Ja. From their new contact, the Aracle, they knew the killer and several of their accomplices had infiltrated the Accusers, and that the murder had been accomplished with some of the massive stockpile of deadly animals, poisons, and other nasty trinkets the SPF kept on hand. After roughly a day's wait, the Aracle's second communication was received and the Investigators began working to decipher the clues.

Round 2 has fully begun! My clues are listed below, and you can also see them in the spreadsheet. Begin discussion, and anyone is now allowed to make an Accusation. Also make sure to post once each cycle!

Cycle 2 will be posted 5PM Eastern time on Wednesday.

Link to Spreadsheet

Oracle Clues:

Spoiler

Cause of Death Location of Crime #3 Victim's Age Hint on Corpse Noticed by Bystander Victim's Rank
Suffocation Big City Child Head Sudden sound Divinity
Severe Injury Small Town Young Adult Chest Prolonged sound Nobility
Loss of Blood Road/Canal Middle-Aged Hand Smell Working Class
Supernatural Wilderness Elderly Leg Visual Peasant
Poisoning/ Sickness Fields Ancient Partial Action Slave
Accident Sea/Ocean Immortal All-over Nothing None

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. @The Known Novel - A Witness
  2. @Amanuensis - Ara’Araman
  3. @Kasimir - Aurel Kourakis
  4. @TheAlpha929 - Alpha
  5. @Fifth Scholar - Athanasius
  6. @JNV - Ajeni
  7. @_Stick_ - Attic
  8. @Matrim's Dice - Assassin
  9. @The Wandering Wizard - Aragorn
  10. @Archer - Archer
  11. @Ashbringer - AraRaash
  12. @Telrao - Allswell
  13. @StrikerEZ - Adodin
  14. @|TJ| - Aanalan
  15. @Tani - Amoeba
  16. @Sart - Aesop
  17. @xinoehp512 - Absolute Anarchy

Hmm. Severe injury/wilderness/sudden sound seems to be rather limiting. Not sure how much we should make of the victim information; “partial” as hint on corpse sounds vague enough that it seems Araris might not have had better options, and age/rank might rule out a few evidence pieces but probably not much else.

5 minutes ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

Currently thinking about TKN Shardblade and white clothing. 

Also the Ja was a elderly slave :P 

Would a Shardblade make a sudden sound? I don’t think so. Is white clothing just random?

On mobile so unable to search through myself atm

[OOC: Need sleep. Hail insomnia. Things that stand out:

• Wilderness - Not so easy this time. Location choice still significant IMO: lack of Ocean, urban areas is significant here and off the top of my head should point towards animal kill methods. Am actually considering Meekers and then realised that I have Meekers. RIP.
  • Thing is, problem with animal methods is twofold: first, a sudden sound was noticed (I'd expect animal attack to be more prolonged, especially if a mauling occurred. Whatever it was, death seems to have come quickly.) Second, hint on corpse is partial. This is more likely to be evidence related (cf. QF33b Sunglasses being tied to Evidence on Head), but part of me wonders whether it's corpse condition related. On further thought I kind of doubt so because I feel like that's covered under Corpse Condition or whatever it was last game, but worth keeping in mind anyway.
  • Cause of Death being severe injury suggests we should rule out anything that has the potential to cause significant bloodloss or strangulation. Again, FML, my brain goes to Meekers.
  • Was gonna post this but Alpha posted so am adding I disagree with Alpha and a bit suspicious of Alpha for the suggestion. Feel weapon-related Methods should not lead Araris to select Wilderness - he's basically guaranteeing by this choice that we will waste time on Patji options if true that really weapon based.
  • Good night.]

12 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Would a Shardblade make a sudden sound? I don’t think so. Is white clothing just random?

Honestly was thinking Assassin in white for the white clothing combination, but it's less likely. Just where my gut tossed me. And shardblades wouldn't cause serious injury...well they do, but not physical wounds. 

Edit: Also thinking about Mat, cliff, and rotspren.

Edited by The Wandering Wizard

[OOC: Colour later. One last thought before sleep: I think the fact Araris selected slave rather than no rank or peasant is significant. Do slaves get assassinated? 

Whatever death is or method, it came to a slave in the wilderness with a sudden sound. Suggestion that it's more plausible a cause of death for an elderly slave. The fact that Araris chose sudden sound over prolonged sound, action, nothing, or visual is likely also significant. Off the top of my head, no visual should rule out Nightblood for instance.]

Edited to add:

Sorry another last thought I lied. Death must have come very fast. Prolonged death is unlikely to bring about a sudden noise. Unless it removed his ability to vocalise, the Ja would have been screaming as any reasonable person would. 

Edited by Kasimir

25 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Was gonna post this but Alpha posted so am adding I disagree with Alpha and a bit suspicious of Alpha for the suggestion. Feel weapon-related Methods should not lead Araris to select Wilderness - he's basically guaranteeing by this choice that we will waste time on Patji options if true that really weapon based.

I said crossbow because maybe it was like hunting trip, and someone said “hey, there’s that guy, I don’t like that guy, let’s kill him” I don’t know man. You do have a good point 

1 minute ago, TheAlpha929 said:

I said crossbow because maybe it was like hunting trip, and someone said “hey, there’s that guy, I don’t like that guy, let’s kill him” I don’t know man. You do have a good point 

Personally, I like this thought process. We know that the murder took place in the wilderness, but also that it was not an accident. If this was truly a wild animal attack, why not choose Accident. This contradiction, along with the sudden noise being heard at the crime scene, makes me think we're looking at a projectile weapon, like a gun.

13 minutes ago, Sart said:

Personally, I like this thought process. We know that the murder took place in the wilderness, but also that it was not an accident. If this was truly a wild animal attack, why not choose Accident. This contradiction, along with the sudden noise being heard at the crime scene, makes me think we're looking at a projectile weapon, like a gun.

My thoughts exactly, though I do not think it is to be ruled out that it could be an animal attack. Perhaps an animal attack would normally be an accident, but if it was a trained animal, or if Severe Injury was just more… relevant? I can’t think of a better word at the moment haha.

EDIT: Also, I keep having this nagging feeling that Kasimir might be an evil genius, subtly mentioning his Meekers, and how it definitely wasn’t those, but he mentions them so smoothly in passing that if it is and he’s playing mind games, well, when the world ends I want to be on his side.

Edited by TheAlpha929

Personally, I'm drawn towards Parshendi. They lived in the wilderness - and if, say, a group of warform Parshendi scouts encountered an escaped/left behind slave, they would probably kill him.

Edited by Telrao

39 minutes ago, Sart said:

I concur that animals seem unlikely in this case because many of us introduced the possibility of animal attacks last game under the umbrella of Accident. 

Am I remembering correctly that in a previous game, Booby Trap was labelled Accidental? Severe Injury is sort of the default, so it's most useful to think about things that better fit in another category and to reject them. Here's what I've got so far:

Spoiler

641a39e2721a4_March21Dotsv2.PNG.9f7aee9b236314d95ae75e6e28e7aa7e.PNG

Red is hard no, yellow is animal, purple is weapon, grey is weapon causing blood loss, blue is other likelihood, light blue is rejected. 

Top Options: 

Dakhor Ritual – feels like a Cellar activity

Jeskeri Cult Ritual – feels like a Cellar activity

Rathbore Monk – not Wildernessy

Explosion – not partial

Ettemetal Explosion – not partial

Fire – not partial

Shardplate – supernatural

Martial Arts – prolonged sound? Mat's

Aimian – prolonged sound?

Dueling Cane – prolonged sound? Mat's

Hammer – no reason to be Wilderness based on Evidence options  

Betrayal -no reason to be Wilderness based on Evidence

Mob animals: Firesnap Lizards, Meekers, Deathants  --- prolonged sound

Visual animals: Chasmfiend, Hemalurgic Chimera,

Animals you maybe wouldn’t see: Nightmaw, Mistwraith (fields fits better imo),

Other: Whitespine, Sandling

I like the idea of a slave being used on the hunt for a Whitespine, but I dislike an Elderly slave being used in that way. 

If it's Nightmaw, I don't see why TJ would do anything but Red Flag (:P) which you have to choose visual clue for because there's no other way to hint at it. 

So I'm looking at Mistwraith + Saddle strap (elderly) + Moon Scepter (slave) + Artisan's Script (slave) + Crem or Rotspren (smell?). But those are Mat's tiles so I'm loosely against going there. 

uhhhh. 

Fifth + Aimian + Ragged Cloak/Cracked Shalebark/Pet Monkey. That's the best I've got for now. 

Alternatively, it's possible Hint on Corpse is about the Evidence, not the Method, which would bring the explosions back into play. Maybe Stick + Explosion + White Sand. (Fifth has the other Explosion)