Two Cool bits of Mistborn Info I Couldn't Stick Anywhere Else

Trusk'our

I couldn't for the life of me figure out a better way to say these, but felt like I should share.

1. Primer cube technology can be used with Feruchemy as well as Allomancy. In BoM I saw that there is a Set member named "Fed" that primed up the weight-changing device on the Malwish ship. Someone asked about that on another thread, but I couldn't remember where it was. So there's your answer. ;)

2. Feruchemical Metaminds don't rust. Otherwise Wax's Ironminds in his thigh would poison him. I had actually wondered about this for the longest time, then somehow forgot, then managed to remeber when TLM mentions that Wax's Ironminds are now implanted into his body to keep them safe from being Allomantically pushed or pulled on.

Allomancers are immune to metal poisoning, so it's likely that Feruchemists are as well, as they are as different from normal humans as Allomancers are. But Wax is an Allomancer so he is immune to that.

Spoiler

rederel

Now i'm morbidly curious whether u/mistborn has considered it [cadmium poisoning] while writing his books.

Brandon Sanderson

I have, actually. Though I had to consider it for other metals first. I decided that allomancers are immune to these kinds of effects--they're just physiologically different in that regard.

General Reddit 2021 (June 11, 2021)

Good catch with the primar cube, was it the old ship at the temple?

7 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Thanks! and yup, that's the one.

Also, if his Ironminds rust, would they no longer count as being Feruchemically viable, since their molecular structure would be effected?

Edited by Trusk'our

3 hours ago, alder24 said:

Allomancers are immune to metal poisoning, so it's likely that Feruchemists are as well, as they are as different from normal humans as Allomancers are. But Wax is an Allomancer so he is immune to that.

Reveal hidden contents

rederel

Now i'm morbidly curious whether u/mistborn has considered it [cadmium poisoning] while writing his books.

Brandon Sanderson

I have, actually. Though I had to consider it for other metals first. I decided that allomancers are immune to these kinds of effects--they're just physiologically different in that regard.

In the first series I think Kelsier warns about leaving metals in you before you sleep and Zane says something similar

12 minutes ago, Xiahida said:

In the first series I think Kelsier warns about leaving metals in you before you sleep and Zane says something similar

Yes, he does.

Brandon had two different ways of handling the metal poisoning that Allomancers would face if it were real, and we're not 100% sure right now which one he went with.

1. Allomancers burn away their metals before they have a chance to hurt themselves.

2. Allomancers have a slightly different physiology than other humans, meaning that they don't poison themselves when they swallow bits of metal.

The Well of Ascension Annotations (Sept. 12, 2007)

Brandon Sanderson

Metal vials. People may wonder why Allomancers use them. Why ingest only small bits of metal, which could run out on you? There are a couple of reasons for this.

First off, you don't want to eat too much metal because, simply put, it's poisonous. Kelsier talks a little bit about this in book one, and it's given token nods from characters throughout the series. I don't do a whole lot with it–dying from metal poisoning isn't the type of extended disease you tend to deal with in a novel that only covers a few months time, like this one.

The second reason for metal vials is more simple. Allomancers with the right powers can Push or Pull on sources of metal–the larger the metal source, the harder the Allomancer can Push on it. So, little flakes of metal make a terrible Anchor, and so if you're caught wearing your vials, you aren't giving much of an advantage to your enemies.

rederel

Brandon Sanderson

But since he mentions Metalborn being slightly different physically speaking in 2021, it's probably that one.

3 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

Also, if his Ironminds rust, would they no longer count as being Feruchemically viable, since their molecular structure would be effected?

Possibly, but rust is only on a surface, so most of the metal is still normal, and you need oxygen and water, which are present in your body. So I don't know what would happen.

16 minutes ago, Xiahida said:

Yes, this was said in Era 1. But this WoB from 2021 seems to confirm Brandon changed his opinion on this and characters just simply assume that metal poisoning will affect them as normal. This is the latest WoB regarding metal poisoning and Allomancy, so it's likely the case now.

3 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Possibly, but rust is only on a surface, so most of the metal is still normal, and you need oxygen and water, which are present in your body. So I don't know what would happen.

I know that certain metals that oxidize, such as copper, work that way, but I'm pretty sure iron will eventually rust down to its core if it stays wet.