Torture in the Cosmere

Frustration

So this is inspired by an old thread about torturing people in order to get their breath, and the idea has remained kicking around in my brain.

So I decided to find a way to cause the most pain possible.

1. Capture your victim

2. Give them a lot of breath.

3. Give them multiple Hemalurgic spikes that have stolen the ability to feel pain, all of which are misplaced just enough that their powers remain, but they still cause immense pain.

4. Fill gemstones with anti-breath

Spoiler

Questioner

How many Breaths would it take to infuse a gemstone?

Brandon Sanderson

Gemstones would be not that hard to infuse with Breaths. Like, you can get one glowing pretty well with one Breath... Depends on the size of the gemstone, obviously.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/171/#e8138

And place them over your victims eyes, after you seal them open. This simultaneously causes them to have their eyesight filled with blinding light, it also causes soul rending pain.

5. Make them a spore eater.

6. Play the anti-tone of the aether spore that they are afflicted with, along with antiRuin.

7. Apply large painrails to them.

8. Make painrails using Agonyspren, and apply those as well.

9. Do the same for fearspren.

10. Build attractor fabrials, attuned to bone flesh and blood, and give a continuous, painful pull outwards in all directions.

11. Have really powerful Mistborn, continually duralumin soothing all emotions but fear, and pain(if they can sooth that)

12. Have other really powerful Mistborn continually duralumin rioting fear and pain.

13. Draw massive Aon Reo, and apply it to them.

14. Give them the Gift of Presence, also misplaced just enough to cause pain while still giving the maximum effect, so that they can remember and relive ever moment of it.

15. Have lightweavers make an increadibly high pitched noise nonstop, preferably mixed with nails on a chalkboard.

16. Have those lightweavers also blast them with thermal radiation, and put powerful heating fabrials around them.

17. Use that power Renarin uses on Moash to show them the best possible version of their life if they weren't being tortured. So they can forever see what they lost, but never get it back.

18. Watch them break.

So, can you think of anything that could be added to make this worse?

Edited by Frustration

4 hours ago, alder24 said:

That anti-Breath thing would only cause pain to Nalthians,

Giving them a lot of breath(As detailed in step 2), should be enough.

4 hours ago, alder24 said:

How about just blinding them with extreme lightweaving? 

Well, I don't know about that one, the gems would be easier to maintain, and would extened the suffering longer, but lightweaving does have other applications.

15. Have lightweavers make an increadibly high pitched noise nonstop, preferably mixed with nails on a chalkboard.

16. Have those lightweavers also blast them with thermal radiation, and put powerful heating fabrials around them.

Edited by Frustration

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought of an even more horrible thing to do to them.

Using the same thing Renarin did to Moash you can show them what their life would be like if they weren't being tortured.

The best possible version of that life.

Always there, but forever out of reach.

Am I a bad person?

12 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Using the same thing Renarin did to Moash you can show them what their life would be like if they weren't being tortured.

Am I a bad person?

Ouch, that hurts more than anything else. You are a bad person. 

I'm by no means an expert on torture, but most of that list is superfluous since Navani's painrial by itself can make people pass out. Anything past the threshold for unconsciousness doesn't really add that much. The Blessing of Presence is notable on your list not because of the memory enhancement, but because it prevents the user from passing out - even if they want to in the case of TenSoon.

I have two for your list. The second by itself is possibly the worst torment this side of Taln.

Hemalurgically make them a Tineye Savant and force feed them Tin and then make them burn it via Soothing/Rioting. No idea how long that much pain would allow for control, but you just need them to start burning so that Nicrosil can force them to burn the rest. Tin usually forces someone into lucidity, even when injured.

Second, we learn from TotES that you can make someone into an Elantrian deliberately. We learn from Dilaf's wife that you can make someone into a post-Reod Elantrian, even while the city is fully functional. Furthermore, post-Reod Elantrians were put into that state by simply omitting one of the basic lines. So... make them into a fallen Elantrian. They can't even die, and can stay like that for 10+ years with no intervention on your part.

On that note Hoid either had an amazing backup plan if Riina "accidentally" made a typo, or dodged a bullet that might have even given him trouble.

34 minutes ago, Duxredux said:

I'm by no means an expert on torture, but most of that list is superfluous since Navani's painrial by itself can make people pass out. Anything past the threshold for unconsciousness doesn't really add that much. The Blessing of Presence is notable on your list not because of the memory enhancement, but because it prevents the user from passing out - even if they want to in the case of TenSoon.

That is a good point.

Hemalurgically make them a Tineye Savant and force feed them Tin and then make them burn it via Soothing/Rioting. No idea how long that much pain would allow for control, but you just need them to start burning so that Nicrosil can force them to burn the rest. Tin usually forces someone into lucidity, even when injured.

It also has the side benefit of making them more suceptable to pain, however only when they are burning tin.

Second, we learn from TotES that you can make someone into an Elantrian deliberately. We learn from Dilaf's wife that you can make someone into a post-Reod Elantrian, even while the city is fully functional. Furthermore, post-Reod Elantrians were put into that state by simply omitting one of the basic lines. So... make them into a fallen Elantrian. They can't even die, and can stay like that for 10+ years with no intervention on your part.

The main benefit of that is that they always feel the pain they are subjected to, but we already have that with the current setup, and they might be able to become Hoed and avoid the pain, though I don't know how that would interact with the blessing of Presence

On a side note I'm not sure whether to be thrilled that I'm not the only person intrested in this, or horrified that I'm not the only person intrested in this.

Edited by Frustration

Wow....hopefully I never end up on your bad side.

On 2/23/2023 at 9:31 AM, Frustration said:

11. Have really powerful Mistborn, continually duralumin soothing all emotions but fear, and pain(if they can sooth that)

12. Have other really powerful Mistborn continually duralumin rioting fear and pain.

Just not sure about these ones.  Can a mistborn continuously duralumin burn anything?  

10 minutes ago, Lidolas said:

Wow....hopefully I never end up on your bad side.

Honestly I'm a little horrified that I was able to come up with this.:wacko:

12 minutes ago, Lidolas said:

Just not sure about these ones.  Can a mistborn continuously duralumin burn anything?  

Not A mistborn, mistborn plural.

On 3/10/2023 at 1:34 PM, Frustration said:

Am I a bad person?

Not a bad person... But dont let these thoughts rule your mind too long maybe?? LOL

I'm not particularly interested in the subject matter itself, I simply read the list and thought of those omissions in the process. I had been thinking about the Elantrian transformation from TotES and the drawbacks from using Tin is quite prominent in Spook's story. Forcing someone to act via Hemalurgic control was referenced in the original topic of forcing someone to give up their Breaths. 

Really, I started wondering what exactly Taln withstood, as the most tortured individual we know of. However, most of the items on your list or in the comments weren't known or available to the Fused. He probably suffered every Voidbinding Surge that can be weaponized though. 

1 hour ago, Duxredux said:

Really, I started wondering what exactly Taln withstood, as the most tortured individual we know of. However, most of the items on your list or in the comments weren't known or available to the Fused. He probably suffered every Voidbinding Surge that can be weaponized though. 

We know to some degree what Heralds withstood on Braize, frome Prelude in WoK. It looks like "regular" physical torture.

Kalak felt something within him break at the admission. How long had it been? Centuries, perhaps millennia, of torture. It was so hard to keep track. Those fires, those hooks, digging into his fesh anew each day. Searing the skin of his arm, then burning the fat, then driving to the bone. He could smell it. Almighty, he could smell it!

[...]

“And Taln?” Kalak asked. The fesh burning. The fires. The pain over and over and over …

I don't think Fused can use Surges on Braize. They don't have bodies there, they are likely like sprens. I think it was even said that they kind of asleep there.

Edited by alder24

3 minutes ago, alder24 said:

I don't think Fused can use Surges on Braize. They don't have bodies there, they are likely like sprens. I think it was even said that they kind of asleep there.

The Heavenly ones could frly from there, so they must be able to.

Just now, Frustration said:

The Heavenly ones could frly from there, so they must be able to.

They tried flying from Roshar to Braize. RoW ch 89

Raboniel hummed to an amused rhythm. “No, no, Navani. You can’t travel to Braize in the Physical Realm. That would take ... well, I have no idea how long. Plus there’s no air in the space between planets. We sent Heavenly Ones to try it once. No air, and worse, the strange pressures required them to carry a large supply of Voidlight for healing. Even so prepared, they died within hours.

“One instead travels to other worlds through Shadesmar. But again, stay away from Braize. Even if you could get through the barrier storm, the place is barren, devoid of life. Merely a dark sky, endless windswept crags, and a broken landscape. And a lot of souls. A lot of not particularly sane souls.”

1 minute ago, alder24 said:

They tried flying from Roshar to Braize. RoW ch 89

It doesn't actually say where they tried going to, just that they tried going between planets, but why would they try going to Braize? They can just will themselves to die to go there, whereas going to Roshar without needing to return would allow them to circumvent the oathpact.

Just now, Frustration said:

It doesn't actually say where they tried going to, just that they tried going between planets, but why would they try going to Braize? They can just will themselves to die to go there, whereas going to Roshar without needing to return would allow them to circumvent the oathpact.

"You can’t travel to Braize in the Physical Realm" ... "We sent Heavenly Ones to try it once."

Yes, it says that they were going to Braize. Raboniel is a scientist, they can try doing it just for the sake of discovering new science. Maybe having a body on Braize is something they are longing for?