Lord Gregorio

This is my worldbuilding project thread where I ask questions. Here's a link for my doc. (It's a bit minimal as of yet).

Geyate

Alright amigos, I have an issue.

I'm creating a world where there are third eyes that can be gained with life-changing experiences. For example, if someone had an experience where they were nearly killed by some fantasy creatures and was absolutely terrified by it, there is a chance they gain the third eye. Though they don't gain the eye until a second event happens later. Most of these things have to happen when they are children (around the age of 8 because they understood what happened, but are young enough for it to be life-scarring.)

The particular kett (what the people are called who gain the powers) for that example would be evil/horror. There are 7 well known kett and one that is unique. I was trying to figure out what way to change the world to try and connect the world to the magic.

Problems

Numero Uno. - Probably solved

Spoiler

Don't scream at me, but I was trying to figure out how to make there be a cluster of suns. There would be eight in total.

I don't know if this is possible, I've tried to look it up but I have only found stuff on two suns.

Should I just do 7 moons and have the sun represent the unique kett? I'll be using this thread for my world building questions since I often have them. 

If anything is confusing and needs more depth, ask and I will fix it, or try.

Numero Dos - Not solved

I need to find an energy source for my planet. Not sure if I should do electricity to make easier or what.

Edited by Lord Gregorio

• Lord Gregorio changed the title to Jaddeth Demands Aid for Lord Greg

The problem with having a lot of suns is that the propablity of having eight equally-sized stars in perfect harmonious orbit of each other is about as slim as convincing Frustration that the imperial system is inferior to metric. Obviously you could say "the gods put them there" and call it a day, but if you wanted to be at all scientific then each of the stars would have different masses and different orbits, and ultimately would wind up gobbling each other up until just a couple remained.

In terms of worldbuilding, I think having one sun and seven moons would work great. Very believable while still being quite fancy schmancy.

Edited by Channelknight Fadran

4 minutes ago, Lord Gregorio said:

Alright amigos, I have an issue.

I'm creating a world where there are third eyes that can be gained with life-changing experiences. For example, if someone had an experience where they were nearly killed by some fantasy creatures and was absolutely terrified by it, there is a chance they gain the third eye. Though they don't gain the eye until a second event happens later. Most of these things have to happen when they are children (around the age of 8 because they understood what happened, but are young enough for it to be life-scarring.)

The particular kett (what the people are called who gain the powers) for that example would be evil/horror. There are 7 well known kett and one that is unique. I was trying to figure out what way to change the world to try and connect the world to the magic.

Don't scream at me, but I was trying to figure out how to make there be a cluster of suns. There would be eight in total.

I don't know if this is possible, I've tried to look it up but I have only found stuff on two suns.

Should I just do 7 moons and have the sun represent the unique kett? I'll be using this thread for my world building questions since I often have them. 

If anything is confusing and needs more depth, ask and I will fix it, or try.

This is a super interesting idea, Mr Sir!

I think the 7 moons and single sun would work better - with each moon reflecting a different light from the rainbow, perhaps! I agree with Fadran in saying that the logistics of having 8 suns would be... an interesting experience, from a world perspective.

You could also pull a Sanderson and have different planets - smaller ones, sure, but that all rotate around the Sun or something, which represent different Ketts?

Anyhow, such an awesome idea! Really cool :D 

4 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

The problem with having a lot of suns is that the probility of having eight equally-sized stars in perfect harmonious orbit of each other is about as slim as convincing Frustration that the imperial system is inferior to metric. Obviously you could say "the gods put them there" and call it a day, but if you wanted to be at all scientific then each of the stars would have different masses and different orbits, and ultimately would wind up gobbling each other up until just a couple remained.

In terms of worldbuilding, I think having one sun and seven moons would work great. Very believable while still being quite fancy schmancy.

Ok. That's where I was slowly getting in my head. Thanks though. I was thinking maybe there would be a way. I was going to have three couples of suns and one single sun the main planet rotated be rotating the larger sun, (kinda confusing I know) but the moons will be more believable.

2 minutes ago, Telrao said:

This is a super interesting idea, Mr Sir!

I think the 7 moons and single sun would work better - with each moon reflecting a different light from the rainbow, perhaps! I agree with Fadran in saying that the logistics of having 8 suns would be... an interesting experience, from a world perspective.

You could also pull a Sanderson and have different planets - smaller ones, sure, but that all rotate around the Sun or something, which represent different Ketts?

Anyhow, such an awesome idea! Really cool :D 

I agree with both of you. 8 suns is too much, it would be too much work and I'm not an experienced worldbuilder or anything. That planet idea is a good idea as well, but I'm not sure I want to do a whole cosmere thing. I could though. They would all have 8 magics, but they'd be represented in a different way. Something like Sight, Touch, Scent, Thought, etc.

Thanks you both for the help though. Now I must decide between planets or moons. It would be fun to have multiple planets and a cosmere like-story. Though I'm not good enough for that in-depthness yet. 

Just now, Lord Gregorio said:

Thanks you both for the help though. Now I must decide between planets or moons. It would be fun to have multiple planets and a cosmere like-story. Though I'm not good enough for that in-depthness yet. 

Well you came to the right place. Sir Fadran here is capable of worldbuilding anything he sets his mind to, and is very willing to coach anyone through their ideas to make them pop!

Now for only $19.99 at your local retailer

Just now, Lord Gregorio said:

I agree with both of you. 8 suns is too much, it would be too much work and I'm not an experienced worldbuilder or anything. That planet idea is a good idea as well, but I'm not sure I want to do a whole cosmere thing. I could though. They would all have 8 magics, but they'd be represented in a different way. Something like Sight, Touch, Scent, Thought, etc.

There's only one way to improve :D PRACTICE!!!

Looking forward to seeing this grow! *excited noises*

1 minute ago, Telrao said:

There's only one way to improve :D PRACTICE!!!

Looking forward to seeing this grow! *excited noises*

I will be practicing a lot. :lol: I'll do my best with this. 

3 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Well you came to the right place. Sir Fadran here is capable of worldbuilding anything he sets his mind to, and is very willing to coach anyone through their ideas to make them pop!

Now for only $19.99 at your local retailer

Only 19.99 what a steal!

:lol:

55 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

The problem with having a lot of suns is that the propablity of having eight equally-sized stars in perfect harmonious orbit of each other is about as slim as convincing Frustration that the imperial system is inferior to metric.

I am now a difficulty metric.

You heard it here folks, look for me in the difficulty settings of Dark Souls 4.:P

To the OP: The most I've heard of is a quandary star system, which is two pairs of binary star systems orbiting each other.

Now, nothing expressly forbids a multi star system like this, the easiest way to do that I think would be to have 7 Stars in orbit around a particularly large black hole. With the planet even further out in the system.

Now this isn't without problems, namely the day/night cycle is going to be completely insane, but I think it will work without unreasonable amounts of handwavium.

10 minutes ago, Frustration said:

To the OP: The most I've heard of is a quandary star system, which is two pairs of binary star systems orbiting each other.

Now, nothing expressly forbids a multi star system like this, the easiest way to do that I think would be to have 7 Stars in orbit around a particularly large black hole. With the planet even further out in the system.

Now this isn't without problems, namely the day/night cycle is going to be completely insane, but I think it will work without unreasonable amounts of handwavium.

Right. I didn't consider the black hole thing. There's obviously ways I could do this in a fantasy setting with the god-like magic I'm intending on adding to this world, and having a black hole would be cool, but I'd rather keep it less, chaotic.

The day/night cycle would indeed be...something else. :lol:. There would be short bits of darkness, then a length of light from a pair of suns, then darkness, then light from a different pair of suns. There would have to be like two areas touched by sunlight, then a line of darkness in between...Now that I think of it that would be pretty cool. Oh boy.

Well anyway, I'll prolly be using the moons because it will be less insane to try and create it, but I'm not 100% sure what I'll be doing yet. I'll go with the moons for now.

7 hours ago, Lord Gregorio said:

The day/night cycle would indeed be...something else. :lol:. There would be short bits of darkness, then a length of light from a pair of suns, then darkness, then light from a different pair of suns. There would have to be like two areas touched by sunlight, then a line of darkness in between...Now that I think of it that would be pretty cool. Oh boy.

Well, there're two ways to look at this:

• Logically, a bunch of stars clustered around a common center of mass would probably be a lot closer to each other than they would be to the planet. In terms of parallax, the distance between each of the stars would be somewhat negligible.
  • Or you could take some real-world examples and find out that our own closest neighboring star - Proxima Centauri - is a tri-star system whose bro Alpha Centauri is thirteen thousand AUs away from it. That is thirteen thousand times the radius of Earth's orbit. In this scenario, you might actually be surrounded by stars instead of the other way around.

6 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Well, there're two ways to look at this:

• Logically, a bunch of stars clustered around a common center of mass would probably be a lot closer to each other than they would be to the planet. In terms of parallax, the distance between each of the stars would be somewhat negligible.
  • Or you could take some real-world examples and find out that our own closest neighboring star - Proxima Centauri - is a tri-star system whose bro Alpha Centauri is thirteen thousand AUs away from it. That is thirteen thousand times the radius of Earth's orbit. In this scenario, you might actually be surrounded by stars instead of the other way around.

Ya okay. So it would kinda be like the suns were much further from the planet and there would be one sun that the planet would orbit, though it would still be a multi-star system. Am I getting that right?

32 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

No. The planet would be in a completely unstable orbit and nobody could ever possibly survive on it.

Do the moons.

Ok. :lol: Sounds good. The moons are gonna be wack as well. There's gonna be like 4 different phases of moons at night at one time. It'll be fun.