Dragon Realms

This all a massive work in progress but I will update this post with all the new things that I have about the world

Okay, so the world is kind of funky, I don't currently have a name for it. But there are many kingdoms of humans and each is in a different domain or realm of a dragon. Dragon's are quite rare and they take the form of their domain. Which is to say, if a dragon realm is the sea, then the dragon would be made up of ocean water. A volcanic realm dragon would be made up of volcanic ash and rocks. Its blood would be made of lava and its magic would be centered around fire. Each dragon's lair is their focusing point for their magic and they are nearly impossible to kill in their own lair. 

Part of the premise for the story that I'm currently toying with is that the kingdoms which are in the realms or in multiple, or have to trade through them. And they want them removed.

Magic

The human magic is known as grafting. Grafting allows a practitioner to take a part of an animal and graft it onto a person, weapon, or armor. You could take a tiger fang and graft it onto a hilt, adding a tiger claw blade. Or you could take a raven's wings and graft them onto a person's back, allowing them to fly. Or use a raven on armor to make lightweight armor that can fly. 

A very unique use that I had from a conversation was to graft a squirrel stomach in place of their normal stomach. Now this sounds weird, but it is actually quite helpful, as you can digest nuts and all sorts of things that you find in the wild, but you can't the normal food that you used to.

The graftings can be removed and the longer you have a grafting, the more your thoughts are change. They shift to a more animalistic state, to protect your tribe or those with similar traits and eventually they split off from humanity, living in the wilderness, gathering near those that have similar traits to them. It's how elves came to be, humans who stole only magic from greater creatures and eventually were called away by the element that was inside of them.

Dragon Realms

I partially explained this above but each dragon has its own realm or sphere of influence around it. That sphere will change the environment around it to suit the dragon's needs if the dragon settles in one place long enough. So if a water dragon settled in a forest, it would eventually become a very deep lake and eventually large enough to be a ocean.

And that's all that I have for now.

I suggest a Deer (or Cow) stomach instead.  The multiple stomach system lets them digest cellulose into sugar directly, making them the energy powerhouses of the evolutionary world.  It's why they have enough surplus to be able to regrow a new set of antlers every year.  

EDIT: This thought is mostly thanks to watching some Heaven's Design Team, an educational anime on biology and evolution that showcases the Why and Why Not of various biological systems and features.  

Edited by Quantus

43 minutes ago, Quantus said:

I suggest a Deer (or Cow) stomach instead.  The multiple stomach system lets them digest cellulose into sugar directly, making them the energy powerhouses of the evolutionary world.  It's why they have enough surplus to be able to regrow a new set of antlers every year.  

True, but you also have to eat more and have to rest perhaps more often. :P

But there are many uses of having a ruminant stomach versus the monogastric human stomach. There are also advantages to the hind/rear-gut or pseduo ruminants.

Thank you for your feedback! Always usefull to have it.

3 hours ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

A very unique use that I had from a conversation was to graft a squirrel stomach in place of their normal stomach. Now this sounds weird, but it is actually quite helpful, as you can digest nuts and all sorts of things that you find in the wild, but you can't the normal food that you used to.

:D You're welcome. 

It's a really cool magic system, one question I do have is limits; is it harder to graft raven wings or a dog's nose? Similarly, how fresh to said organs have to be, and does that change with the thing you're grafting? These probably aren't that important to know, but sometimes it's fun to think of all the little technicalities. It's really an awesome idea though, I'll enjoy seeing where it goes!

6 minutes ago, Aes Sedai said:

It's a really cool magic system, one question I do have is limits; is it harder to graft raven wings or a dog's nose? Similarly, how fresh to said organs have to be, and does that change with the thing you're grafting? These probably aren't that important to know, but sometimes it's fun to think of all the little technicalities. It's really an awesome idea though, I'll enjoy seeing where it goes!

They are actually quite important and I'm still thinking about it.

Just now, Being of Cacophony said:

can you graft things from non-organisms or plants? or is it just animals? Because plant grafting would be cool. Also, what about bacteria?

You can graft from plants, it only works for living things. Though if you stole the magical power of earth from an earthen turtle, well that's basically how you would get non-living things.

They don't know about bacteria really, given that they don't have much in the way of sciences so not for now at least, probably never.

Edited by The Wandering Wizard

3 minutes ago, Being of Cacophony said:

Wait, earthen turtles???! What are those!?

:P

A greater kind of turtle that their shell is a hill side and they can burrow into the ground so that just their shell is showing. And with all the trees, and normal forest looking stuff, you wouldn't know that it was there.

• 2 months later...
On 2/14/2023 at 3:32 PM, Being of Cacophony said:

Wait. Do you have a giant platypus? I want one. Like, really bad.

Wellllll you might actually be in luck. I've been creating some wacky creatures for this world and I've drawn some of them. Though I will wait until at least tomorrow probably to collect them here :P

I do have the origin story of the world and a whole lot more but this will mostly stay the same. Except it's still a rough draft. A very rough draft :P

The Origin of Kuimuiruin

Spoiler

In the beginning there were two dragons. [Light dragon] and [Dark dragon]. They strove against each other. Each trying to seek dominance against the other. For an eternity their scales ground together. In the twitch of a tail that all ended.

[Dark Dragon] spiked her tail into [Light Dragon]’s chest. [Light Dragon] snapped [Dark Dragon]’s neck with her claws at the same time. And their behemoth bodies collapsed, falling upon each other. Slowly the great beings began to dissipate. All they left behind was pure light, pure dark, and four pieces of what once was. 

The first piece exploded, the blinding light bringing the first flames into the world. From the second piece rushed the living waters, brining life to the world. The third piece crackled and expanded, the spreading turf covering the world in a clay shell of earth. The four piece faded into mist, and from it rushed the first winds. 

As these new elements coeleased and expanded, they inevitably came into contact with each other and with the eggs of light and dark. For the two dragons could never truly die, at least not yet. Fire rushed against water and they annihilated each other until the earth was thrust up between them. His newly formed bulk forced them to stop their annihilation, but they didn’t stop trying to tear each other apart. Fire burned through the earth and became a molten liquid, seeking the water help up above. The water eroded against the rock and sought to burrow deeper, water mixed with the earth creating something new. Plants sprung forth across all the land, their roots seeking the center and the fire waiting beneath. 

The air clashed with the earth, albeit more secretive than the fight between fire and water. The air coaxed the water to bind with it to cover the earth, to help it chip away. It promised the water revenge against the fire, and so they bound together. The water was carried by the air great distances and it slowly crumbled down the earth. When the water’s anger burned cold it froze and chilled the heat from the land. Air also coaxed fire to bind with it and the fire readily agreed. When the rains came upon the land, the fire bolted towards it, searing up from the earth into the sky as a crackling bolt of lightning. Such was the force of hate from fire that it was attracted to all things with water in them. The trees, the water, and the storms. Though it most hated the water and the force of it’s rage penetrated all around when it struck pure water.

Edited by The Wandering Wizard

5 hours ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

I do have the origin story of the world and a whole lot more but this prologue will mostly stay the same. Except it's still a rough draft. A very rough draft :P

The Origin of Kuimuiruin

Reveal hidden contents

In the beginning there were two dragons. [Light dragon] and [Dark dragon]. They strove against each other. Each trying to seek dominance against the other. For an eternity their scales ground together. In the twitch of a tail that all ended.

[Dark Dragon] spiked her tail into [Light Dragon]’s chest. [Light Dragon] snapped [Dark Dragon]’s neck with her claws at the same time. And their behemoth bodies collapsed, falling upon each other. Slowly the great beings began to dissipate. All they left behind was pure light, pure dark, and four pieces of what once was. 

The first piece exploded, the blinding light bringing the first flames into the world. From the second piece rushed the living waters, brining life to the world. The third piece crackled and expanded, the spreading turf covering the world in a clay shell of earth. The four piece faded into mist, and from it rushed the first winds. 

As these new elements coeleased and expanded, they inevitably came into contact with each other and with the eggs of light and dark. For the two dragons could never truly die, at least not yet. Fire rushed against water and they annihilated each other until the earth was thrust up between them. His newly formed bulk forced them to stop their annihilation, but they didn’t stop trying to tear each other apart. Fire burned through the earth and became a molten liquid, seeking the water help up above. The water eroded against the rock and sought to burrow deeper, water mixed with the earth creating something new. Plants sprung forth across all the land, their roots seeking the center and the fire waiting beneath. 

The air clashed with the earth, albeit more secretive than the fight between fire and water. The air coaxed the water to bind with it to cover the earth, to help it chip away. It promised the water revenge against the fire, and so they bound together. The water was carried by the air great distances and it slowly crumbled down the earth. When the water’s anger burned cold it froze and chilled the heat from the land. Air also coaxed fire to bind with it and the fire readily agreed. When the rains came upon the land, the fire bolted towards it, searing up from the earth into the sky as a crackling bolt of lightning. Such was the force of hate from fire that it was attracted to all things with water in them. The trees, the water, and the storms. Though it most hated the water and the force of it’s rage penetrated all around when it struck pure water.

OooOOOOOooooOOOOoooo WIZ THIS IS SO COOL!! Boy, I'm really looking forward to reading this :D 

May I suggest names? The Dark Dragon could have a hissing, angry name like Scaltrai and the Light dragon have a brighter more positive name like Oaena. uhmmm sorry

6 hours ago, Telrao said:

OooOOOOOooooOOOOoooo WIZ THIS IS SO COOL!! Boy, I'm really looking forward to reading this :D 

May I suggest names? The Dark Dragon could have a hissing, angry name like Scaltrai and the Light dragon have a brighter more positive name like Oaena. uhmmm sorry

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm mostly waiting till I create the language for the world to name them. And they well both aren't good, one is just light and the other dark :P

9 hours ago, Being of Cacophony said:

GIANT PLATYPUS!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't actually put one in yet....buuuuut I might. Still need more thought one what it'd be like :P

13 hours ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm mostly waiting till I create the language for the world to name them. And they well both aren't good, one is just light and the other dark :P

Oh, cool! That's gonna be really neat! :D 

• 5 months later...

Consuming and transferring of matter and energy is of the dark magics...really the main dark magic :P

But it's what grafting was is now basically just called Dark magics, darkness, or just Dark. 

However just because it's dark magic doesn't mean it's inherently bad. Though it does have more evil applications then generally good ones. And you can be tempted by the power.