1 minute ago, Kasimir said:

No. I'm referring to the fact Aman and myself also made that call. Mat was just the last and most recent one, hence my using '2.5 hours' as a cutoff.

Ohhhhh that makes a lot more sense.

Carry on, then.

4 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Literally everyone at the start:

"No we're staying out."

By 2.5 hours:

"Fine, we're in, low effort though."

Yep, that’s how it goes :P Not the first time this happened, either 

It was the wee hours of the morning when the first resident of Creston awoke. Drestien, the mayor of Creston, was almost always the first to wake up every day. He prided himself in this fact, boasting about it to everyone who would listen whenever he had the chance.

He did not often consider the fact that even his wife, Galliandre, might not always appreciate his boasts. He'd been especially boastful as of late too.

But alas, Drestien had to take pride in some aspects of his mundane life. Once he was awake and ready for the day, he would take his morning walk, surveying the state of his town. Every day he made sure all of the houses were in the best possible condition, that the roads were clean, and that the ash was...well, at acceptable levels for dawn. By then, the ash-sweeping skaa were just beginning to wake up, so he could monitor their efforts and make sure they truly were working hard enough. He did not take care of them for the Lord Ruler himself for nothing!

Every now and then, and on this day as well, Drestien would run into his rival nobleman. Lord Feden Elariel. The biggest thorn in Drestien's side he had ever known. Feden consistently tried to one-up Drestien's ability to wake up early. Would this finally be the day that Drestien was bested?

Fortunately, it appeared not. Drestien happened to walk by Feden's manor as Feden made his way outside for the morning. With the rising sun behind him, Drestien gave Feden a bow and a grin.

"It appears I've won again, Feden!"

Feden groaned, following Drestien as he kept walking.

"Do we have to do this every day, Drestien?"

While Feden was Drestien's assistant mayor, they were still bitter rivals. Feden secretly harbored an intense distrust of Drestien for reasons he had never quite been able to discern.

"Oh, you mean this challenge to see who is truly the best at seeing the glory of The Lord Ruler's might, getting to see him raise the sun in the skies and dispel the mists once again each day? Of course we have to. I have to keep you on your toes, old friend!"

"You can cut with the act," Feden said. "There's hardly anyone around. And it's...creepy, knowing what you really are."

"I'm not sure whatever you could mean, Feden," Drestien said. "I am simply just enjoying life, the early morning, and your presence. Well, maybe not that last one, but I am definitely enjoying the great wonders of life, given to us by the Lord Ruler himself!"

"You sure do seem cheerful all the time. Especially now that you're mayor. I still don't even understand how that happened. I brought you here to be an easy target to run against. Not to end up subordinate to you."

"How dare you accuse me of plotting to overthrow the longstanding tradition of electing a mayor of Creston! Why, that would be high treason, if anyone were to believe your foolish claims!"

Feden just rolled his eyes and turned to look forward again. And then stopped in his tracks.

"What's wrong, Feden? Did you stub your toe? Suddenly have an epiphany and realize that you need to change your grumpy way of life? Was it-oh."

The corpse hanging from the tree at the town center would probably be a much better explanation.

It did not help that the words "Ruin has come" were inscribed in bloody marks on the poor skaa woman's chest.

Those words. They sent chills down Drestien's spine. For more reasons than he could count.

~

It was a sorry lot that drug their way into Varloux's inn later that night. People died now and then. It was the way of life. Usually, people came in and drank away their sorrows before partying the rest of the night. It's usually what the recently deceased would have wanted anyway. At least that's what Varloux assumed. Not like the dead could make their mind known.

It was not often, however, that someone wound up murdered in Creston. The last time Varloux had heard of something like that was when Hanri the Horrible had snuck his way into town and murdered a several skaa women before getting caught. The Lord Ruler's own forces had come through the town in search of Hanri. Varloux had just been a boy then, but he knew that Hanri had been discreet with his murders. It's how he had managed to get so many of them before he was caught.

But to kill someone and leave their poor body out for everyone to see? That was just wrong.

Trennis, the now-widower of Mern, slunk his way into Varloux's inn. Everyone gave him a wide berth as he came up to the bar. Even Old Ged knew to leave him alone.

"I'm tired of condolences," Trennis said, slapping several handfuls of coins on the bar. "Give me whatever this can buy."

Trennis walked off to sit at a table by himself before Varloux could get some clarification on what to give him.

Well. Varloux could not blame a man for wanting to drink his sorrows away. He turned to one of his barmaids, handing her Trennis's coins. "Load that poor fool up."

Varloux waited, watching the crowd. Besides Trennis, most of them were not buying that much alcohol tonight. He started making his way through the tables, offering refills and different kinds of drinks. Most people were turning him away. It seemed they wanted to just talk and talk and talk about Mern and the ominous message left by her killer. The message was different every time Varloux heard it, but he got the gist.

Ruin had come?

Varloux's heart was hammering. Could that fool of a terriswoman actually have lured a murderous god and its slaves to his town? He nearly fainted at the idea. Surely that couldn't really be the case. Right?

MR62: In The Shadow of Ash has begun! GM PMs should be on their way over the next 10-15 minutes. If you don't receive one by then, please let me know!

There will be a removal during this Cycle. Tied votes will result in a random player within the tie being removed. There is no vote minimum, though no one is removed if no one votes. There is also an inactivity filter: if you a player does not vote for 2 consecutive Cycles, they will be removed. In addition, PMs are open for this Cycle. PMs may only be one-on-one, no group PMs. All PMs must include myself and the IM, @Devotary of Spontaneity. As a last reminder, feel free to contact her if you have any moderation concerns!

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. @JNV - Jen, plagued by horrors hidden by the dark
  2. @Fifth Scholar - Weard Leoht...what kind of name is that anyway?
  3. @Biplet - Biplet, my lovely fiancé
  4. @Araris Valerian - Ardalan, a very friendly and very bribable obligator
  5. @The Known Novel - Damiste Maidihn, very fond of his name
  6. @Channelknight Fadran - Fadran, just a player
  7. @_Stick_ - Stick, who should really be stopped
  8. @Kasimir - Konlan, your trusty obligator for when you need legal counsel!
  9. @The Bookwyrm - Gerald Heloux, a nobleman bored by the noble life
  10. @xinoehp512 - Xino, holding a fancy card
  11. @|TJ| - Jandro, known for terrible pronunciation
  12. @Ashbringer - Faleast, worldhopping kandra extraordinaire
  13. @Amanuensis - Aman, totally chill and studious
  14. @Matrim's Dice - Mat, low effort, straight vibes

The Conversion Spike is in the game!

This Cycle will end at 10 pm CST, on Wednesday, February 22nd.

Edited by StrikerEZ

A skaa woman was dead.

Konlan thought about how that made him feel. Usually, his task began with someone dead. With a quarrel. With someone beaten. With something of value stolen.

In the end, it was theft. All crimes boiled down, one way or another, to theft, if you were feeling particularly philosophical. He swirled his barley water about, staring at the reflections of the inn lights in the water. Theft of property, theft of bodily integrity. Theft of dignity. Or the worst of all: the death of a life.

It wasn't his task to lay out a case for who was guilty, although Konlan thought he might look towards Ardalan. They knew better than anyone else, the two of them. They knew what lay beneath the surface of the Steel Ministry. All the intrigue, all the nastiness. All the terrible, petty darkness.

Worth killing for?

4 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

@StrikerEZ, we get to know if the conversion spike is in play, yeah?

[OOC: I'd assume it is - Striker mentioned he wanted a twelve player minimum. At any rate I'd always assume it is, which means that killing the Inquisitor ASAP is a good shout for us because of OoA.]

Edited by Kasimir
Bolded vote.

Just now, StrikerEZ said:

Yes! Sorry, brain is really frazzled. Here's the announcement, which will also be put in the main post:

The Conversion Spike is in the game!

Then have this meme I definitely haven't had in reserve for the last hour:

Spoiler

63f44b4400c16_Screenshot(17).thumb.png.ce8a230fce5200c804c5dde8f005b272.png

34 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

So, who wants to do 20-page turns and who wants to not do that?

Dang it's been a while since I did Faleast right. I've got work to do instead, then we'll see.

I say (n)ay(e)

31 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Not. How about… not. :P 

Don’t think I’ve ever been last on a player list before. First time for everything! Time will tell on whether I regret not being in the spec doc.

TKN

How'd you know?

Well, since Mat's already caught me, The UnKnown Novel

Edit: Fine folk, Crestoners, SEers, elims and villagers alike, how would you like to make a coinshot? A lurcher? For the small price of just five more votes, I could be anything, rusts, I could even become a Mistborn.

So what do you say, fair friends, who wants (me) to be a millionaire?

Edited by The Known Novel

4 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Quick clarification about the rules: it will not be announced in the thread whenever the conversion spike is used.

Spoiler

7bvy3e.jpg

Edited to add:

23 minutes ago, The Known Novel said:

Edit: Fine folk, Crestoners, SEers, elims and villagers alike, how would you like to make a coinshot? A lurcher? For the small price of just five more votes, I could be anything, rusts, I could even become a Mistborn.

So what do you say, fair friends, who wants (me) to be a millionaire?

Your position about role-claiming shifts from game to game I s2g.

Edited by Kasimir

11 minutes ago, Kasimir said:
  Reveal hidden contents

7bvy3e.jpg

Edited to add:

Your position about role-claiming shifts from game to game I s2g.

Not sure exactly what you mean, I'm almost always pro roleclaiming, I am just not against outright lying. If I am a power role that thought process changes a little bit, but I'm still mostly a freedom of information person.

Also, news just in, GM told me I'm stupid, I actually need six more votes (more than seven at once). So, uh, pretty please?

Just now, The Known Novel said:

Not sure exactly what you mean, I'm almost always pro roleclaiming, I am just not against outright lying. If I am a power role that thought process changes a little bit, but I'm still mostly a freedom of information person.

I seem to remember at least two games in which you asked people to stop outright claiming early on, potentially one of them being my LG. I'm not sure it makes you Evil but it's something I'm struggling to make sense of in terms of motivation.

1 minute ago, The Known Novel said:

Also, news just in, GM told me I'm stupid, I actually need six more votes (more than seven at once). So, uh, pretty please?

Do they have to be on you at EoD, are they cumulative, how does this work?

2 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

I seem to remember at least two games in which you asked people to stop outright claiming early on, potentially one of them being my LG. I'm not sure it makes you Evil but it's something I'm struggling to make sense of in terms of motivation.

Do they have to be on you at EoD, are they cumulative, how does this work?

I sincerely doubt that, but maybe. Also, if you're talking about the ongoing game, (somebody arrest this man) then you're the opposite of correct, since I claimed not once but three times early on.

At once, and I can't die. Trust me, I was going to pull a vote unvote myself a trillion times if I could.

8 minutes ago, The Known Novel said:

I sincerely doubt that, but maybe. Also, if you're talking about the ongoing game, (somebody arrest this man) then you're the opposite of correct, since I claimed not once but three times early on.

I will (kinda not really) risk myself by revealing that this is not in fact a role madness game as I do not have a role. I would strongly recommend that no-one else claim roleless or otherwise unless your death is imminent as... someone suggested up above.

Seems to discourage claiming to me.

8 minutes ago, The Known Novel said:

At once, and I can't die. Trust me, I was going to pull a vote unvote myself a trillion times if I could.

To make sure I've understood - it can't be cumulative? i.e. can't be like, seven votes on you across two cycles or so?

Low key tempted to try because wcgw? I sort of feel like if you're Evil, forcing you to choose between actions and sending in a kill is a good sort of dilemma for us, especially if we go with actions accountability in the mid-game to end-game. But also like my vote where it is right now. And ah feck there goes my resolution to play this game solely in RP already.... :( 

Edited to add:

Post editor ate an additional para - I was thinking aloud that it's not necessarily the worst case for us if you aren't Snapped since as long as the Inquisitor Spike is in play, given how high your Snapping threshold is, it's basically an indicator you haven't been converted. That being said, I don't feel very strongly about this since it requires that you're truthful, and also that you didn't just start out as Spiked to begin with, among other things, so eh.

Edited by Kasimir