A question about elantrians

Breeze

We are not 100% sure.

However, I do think that she's able to use her power because she has access to the jar of purified Dor. The Dor is what powers AonDor on Elantris, so she has a power supply, even on Scadrial, albeit a limited one.

As for how she's able to use the magic despite her distance from Elantris, I'd assume it would have to do with the sketch of the Basin she draws on the ground after transforming.

Secret Project 1 Spoilers:

Spoiler

In Tress of the Emerald Sea we see the Sorceress is also able to use AonDor, and we still don't know how. But something that's interesting to me is that she has a map of the planet Lumar on the floor of her spaceship...

Stuff is going on here that we don't understand. But hopefully we will someday.

1 hour ago, Breeze said:

So, in The Lost Metal, Moonlight uses her soul stamp to transform herself into an Elantrian. I am confused because; isn't AonDor constrained to the area around Elantris itself? How is she able to use it on a completely different planet?

Two things: To become an Elantrian requires a Connection to the homeland of Arelon (the annotations said Genetic link, but those might have come from before the broader Cosmere system and Connections were fleshed out) and to be present in Arelon at the time of the transformation.  After that, they just need to have a way to tap the Dor, which can happen by  a)being on Sel, b) With an active Investiture Connection to Sel (Feruchemy will do it), or c) manage to purigfy/transform the Dor into a solid portable form.  

So to Forge youself into an Elantrian, you'd need to have (or Forge) a family history that settled in Arelon, and then Forge the Event that made you get chosen (super hard since nobody is supposed to know what goes into that choice).  If that can be made to take, it implies Dor is availible to maintain it, so that same Dor supply should theoretically be available to power any AonDor effects that you want to do after the Forgery takes hold.  If Moonlight's family had any ancestors from Arelon, she'd have an easier time since she'd only have to forge the Shaod event and not the family history as well.  

EDIT:  Also, All Selish magics work anywhere on Sel because they all tap the Dor for power.  But they work anywhere that Dor is present.  Getting access to the different magic systems is region locked (requiring family ties and whatnot), but the actual function is only limited to the planet (without additional steps being taken).  

Edited by Quantus

The spoiler period for Lost Metal is not yet over (Planned through 1 Apr 23) - so anything dealing with that topic needs to stay in the spoiler area. Even after the spoiler period is over, topics dealing with two or more Cosmere "categories" belong in Cosmere Discussion (where spoilers are allowed after the Spoiler Period is ended) - if asking information about Scadrial in the Elantris Subforum, it will always need a spoilers (subforums always require spoilers for areas outside the subforum's criteria).

Please see the Spoiler Policy Here and the TLM update here.

Spoiler
On 12/30/2022 at 5:59 PM, Chaos said:

All secret projects will receive a six month spoiler period, starting with when it comes out to backers. This should allow everyone, including people buying the non-Dragonsteel editions, enough time to read the books. As a side effect, we'll also end TLM's spoiler period a little earlier, on April 1st, when Secret Project 2 comes out, just to try and rein in the amount of forums

5 hours ago, Breeze said:
Spoiler

So, in The Lost Metal, Moonlight uses her soul stamp to transform herself into an Elantrian. I am confused because; isn't AonDor constrained to the area around Elantris itself? How is she able to use it on a completely different planet?

Spoilers

All of that said: it is speculated that AonDor is confined to a geographic Connection; and a sufficiently knowledgeable person might be able to manipulate that by changing to which geography you are Connecting. This is unconfirmed speculation but consistent with events seen in recent releases.

On 2/7/2023 at 3:56 PM, The Bookwyrm said:

Secret Project 1 Spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

In Tress of the Emerald Sea we see the Sorceress is also able to use AonDor, and we still don't know how. But something that's interesting to me is that she has a map of the planet Lumar on the floor of her spaceship...

I think the island being described suspiciously circular also leans into this but the illustration showing Hoid and Riina using pre-Reod Aons confuses me.

On 2/7/2023 at 4:43 PM, Quantus said:

Two things: To become an Elantrian requires a Connection to the homeland of Arelon (the annotations said Genetic link, but those might have come from before the broader Cosmere system and Connections were fleshed out) and to be present in Arelon at the time of the transformation.  After that, they just need to have a way to tap the Dor, which can happen by  a)being on Sel, b) With an active Investiture Connection to Sel (Feruchemy will do it), or c) manage to purigfy/transform the Dor into a solid portable form.  

So to Forge youself into an Elantrian, you'd need to have (or Forge) a family history that settled in Arelon, and then Forge the Event that made you get chosen (super hard since nobody is supposed to know what goes into that choice).  If that can be made to take, it implies Dor is availible to maintain it, so that same Dor supply should theoretically be available to power any AonDor effects that you want to do after the Forgery takes hold.  If Moonlight's family had any ancestors from Arelon, she'd have an easier time since she'd only have to forge the Shaod event and not the family history as well.  

EDIT:  Also, All Selish magics work anywhere on Sel because they all tap the Dor for power.  But they work anywhere that Dor is present.  Getting access to the different magic systems is region locked (requiring family ties and whatnot), but the actual function is only limited to the planet (without additional steps being taken).  

Given that a group migrated to the abandoned city and then a generation or two later the Shaod started happening I don't think genetic or even ancestry in the region is that important compared to just being born in the region.