Lockwood & Co.

All right. So far, my tries at starting threads here didn't go far, so I'm having my hopes down. Still, we'll see.

Lockwood and Co. is one of my favorite book series to date (I should probably make a list), and now it got adapted to a Netflix series! Currently watching it, a tad suspiciously since I don't trust Netflix.

Anyone else here who has read those books? If so, did you watch the series? What do you think?

1 hour ago, Shining Silhouette said:

Episode 1 was the best so far in my humble opinion.

I've seen through episode 5 and I think they're doing a fair job.

Really? I liked 3, although the climax was a bit rushed. (still pretty storming scary though)

This is a gem from Lockwood that I had to share: 

(about pulp in orange juice)

"Personally, I've always thought straining it through your teeth is part of the fun," Lockwood said. "You can pretend you're a blue whale."

Edited by Shallan Stormblessed

5 hours ago, Shallan Stormblessed said:

Oh wow, hello, did you see @Shining Silhouette and I's* status updates about it? It's surprisingly awesome and loyal to the book so far, although

I think it should be "mine". 

I did read them now. Great to hear it's loyal to the books! I... Found myself nitpicking during the first episode, we'll see how it'll go from here. I did realize from some random things I've seen in the Internet, but after reading what you said in one of those status replies (in a spoiler)... It sounds overly so. Hope it works, anyway.

53 minutes ago, Elf said:

i have not read lockwood and co but ive read Bartimaues which is by the same author i think 

i think ill check these books out too

Yes, it is by the same author! Those are some of my favourite books, really. Both series. I really recommend you try it.

I can change the thread to be Jonathan Stroud, but those are literally the only books of his I've read (I mean both Bartimeus and Lockwood and Co.), so I'm unsure about it.

On another note, I've watched the TV series up to episode 3. My impression so far:

Spoiler

They obviously rushed things - the whole story with Fairfax didn't work as well as the original, since they were the ones who answered his (surprising) "help wanted" advert. It really doesn't work for me - this makes his entire plan overcomplicated, even though it's less conspicuous. Also, Netflix seem to be afraid to allow any action involving Lucy occur offscreen - wasn't she with Lockwood and Co. for some time during Mrs. Hope's case? Plus the time jump between the first and second books, and the actual publicity they got from Combe Carey - thrown aside to foreshadow a huge conspiracy that was foreshadowed differently in the books. Which just reminds me - vague conspiracy theories about the Problem, none actually having much to it. Welp, I guess they'll find out about things soon enough.

Did I forget something? Oh, yes, I think Lucy's characterization is a bit off. But I'm really bad at judging characterization, so take that with a grain of salt.

That was criticizing that for source-material loyalty, which, granted, isn't necessarily that important. Plus, I might just be attracted too much to the negative side of things. I didn't finish watching the season yet, after all - still have the whole bone glass story to go through.

Hope my negativity didn't hurt anyone. I'm sorry for that. It's just...

When I watch an adaptation, I do expect to get more or less the same thing, just in a different medium. Sure, the story needs to adapt a bit to the new medium, but I want the same story and characters. And while this hits the same beats, it still feels a tad off to me. I might be just nitpicking - my criticism doesn't hold any more merit than anyone else's opinion. 

• 4 weeks later...

i watched the first episode of this 

im in love with anthony 

im gonna binge read this series after my finals 

ands thats saying something cause i really truly dont like horrror 

BUT I LOVE THIS SHOW ALREADY IT HAS MY HEART

Edited by Elf