Burning a Honorblade

Tea Leaf

Question

So me and @That1Cellist were having a talk about god metals and he proposed burning a Honorblade. Now if you are scared of catching dangerous weapons in your mouth could you use investure to make it where if you touch the honorblade it would be enough to burn it, if you could how much investiture would it take (let's say you have hemalurgic duralumin and are a nicrosil twinborn)?

14 answers to this question

19 hours ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

I agree that  it wouldn't work, though it is possible to just stick it in the mouth, or use a piece chipped by nightblood. Alternitively, a peice could be surgically implanted using regular materials.

Unless there ends up being something extra special about the Honorblades that makes them burn differently (as a Feruchemcially charged metal, which they resemble) the easiest source of godmetals is broken Plate.  You can easily break pieces off (compared to the practically invulnerable blades), and then use it as a distillation machine to turn Stormlight into Godmetals.  

I think we will eventually learn if/how Honorblades can be repaired, and what that looks like might illuminate all this.  

There are conflicting WOB's on whether you can burn non-Scadrian Godmetals without other steps to make it work. 

But from there, we cant really say since all metals have different burn rates.  A bag of Atium beads was enough for Marsh to compound a few centuries of youth before it ran out, but that's our only actual example of Burning a Godmetal.  But as far as I know there is no known way to make Allomancy burn metals without getting them inside you, any more than you can make Hemalurgy work without insertion; the Inward/Outward divide is pretty fundamental to the metallic arts. 

Dave Smith

Can a Mistborn burn any god metal such as tanavastium?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes they could.

Footnote: Previously Brandon indicated they would need a tie to that type of Investiture.
YouTube Spoiler Stream 2 (June 3, 2021)

word_thief

What would happen if a Mistborn ingested the metal of a Shardblade/Plate?

Brandon Sanderson

A Shardblade is Invested. A Mistborn isn't likely to have a tie to that type of Investiture. So probably nothing would happen…

General Twitter 2013 (Oct. 24, 2013)

3 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

@Quantus an honorblade is tanvastium, a shardblade is something else (not quite an alloy, I assume it to be like harmonium myself). I assume that plate is either the same as shardblades or a third thing. Similarly radiant fabrials.

Shardblades and shardplate are both the same general alloy of Tanavastium and Koravellium per WOB and can be considered the same thing.  Honorblades were long believed to be pure Honor (and an older WOB said as much), but with RoW the fact that they can apparently grant a Pure Surge of Cultivation implies she was involved and/or supporting her mate in the effort.  

6 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Shardblades and shardplate are both the same general alloy of Tanavastium and Koravellium per WOB and can be considered the same thing.  Honorblades were long believed to be pure Honor (and an older WOB said as much), but with RoW the fact that they can apparently grant a Pure Surge of Cultivation implies she was involved and/or supporting her mate in the effort.  

I would argue that while Progression is more Cultivation aligned, that it isn't hers in Surgebinding. Only in Lifebinding.