Final Fantasy 6 discussion

Hello to all the Final Fantasy Fans.

I love final fantasy 6 (that's what this post is about) and would love to hear about your favorite parties as a starter topic but this can evolve from there.

I'll start. 

Mog: because Wind Rhapsody is overpowered (I mean wind damage all enemies, thunder or petrification damage one enemy, or free party wide healing is amazing).

Terra: because she has decent attack and high magic stats.

Relm: because she has the highest magic stat in the game and her ability sketch can be upgraded to control.

Shadow: because I needed a melee character and his throw is OP.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 6:24 PM, ExoticAlmond said:

I love final fantasy 6 (that's what this post is about) and would love to hear about your favorite parties as a starter topic but this can evolve from there.

I'll start. 

Mog: because Wind Rhapsody is overpowered (I mean wind damage all enemies, thunder or petrification damage one enemy, or free party wide healing is amazing).

Relm: because she has the highest magic stat in the game and her ability sketch can be upgraded to control.

I love ff6 more for the plot than the gameplay, but Setzer's slots are really fun to use, and and I love Locke's steal ability. Honestly, the only parties I don't like are Gogo and the yeti because they can't be directly controlled. 

On 1/23/2023 at 6:24 PM, ExoticAlmond said:

I'll start. 

But control almost never hits…

Personally, I’ve been using Celes and Sabin to carry my first play through. I’ve beaten all the dragons, upgraded Odin, and am finishing up the cult of Kefka place. (At least for the first clear. I get the feeling I might be able to do it more than once)

I also let Shadow die on the floating island. I didn’t realize you could save him. Whoops. Downside of playing completely blind, I suppose.

I’m also irritated that I couldn’t use dragoon boots + berserk to dodge the magic master’s stupid ultima attack he uses before dying. I was proud of that strategy. Oh well, I suppose reraise works too.

2 hours ago, Ranryu said:

I love ff6 more for the plot than the gameplay, but Setzer's slots are really fun to use, and and I love Locke's steal ability. Honestly, the only parties I don't like are Gogo and the yeti because they can't be directly controlled. 

I agree. The story is awesome. Slot is underwhelming in my opinion. I really enjoy the story, but the battle mechanics and sheer amount of gear you can use to change your team is amazing as well.

17 minutes ago, That1Cellist said:

Personally, I’ve been using Celes and Sabin to carry my first play through. I’ve beaten all the dragons, upgraded Odin, and am finishing up the cult of Kefka place. (At least for the first clear. I get the feeling I might be able to do it more than once)

I also let Shadow die on the floating island. I didn’t realize you could save him. Whoops. Downside of playing completely blind, I suppose.

I’m also irritated that I couldn’t use dragoon boots + berserk to dodge the magic master’s stupid ultima attack he uses before dying. I was proud of that strategy. Oh well, I suppose reraise works too.

I agree. The story is awesome. Slot is underwhelming in my opinion. I really enjoy the story, but the battle mechanics and sheer amount of gear you can use to change your team is amazing as well.

I like slot because it's fun, not because it's effective. I just wish Edgar was more useful... I like the idea of his tech, but in execution it was lacking.

And the music... Need I say more?

7 minutes ago, Ranryu said:

I like slot because it's fun, not because it's effective. I just wish Edgar was more useful... I like the idea of his tech, but in execution it was lacking.

And the music... Need I say more?

It’s good in the early game at least. And the chainsaw has nice uses.

No you don’t. It’s all so good. Weather it’s the new pixel remaster soundtrack or the original.

12 hours ago, That1Cellist said:

I mostly use control for strago's lores. Plus her magic stat is the highest out of every single character and she is just one of the ones I leveled up for the big bad.

(haven't beat the game yet am too busy doing all the little side missions to get new espers and such)

Edited by ExoticAlmond

32 minutes ago, ExoticAlmond said:

I mostly use control for strago's lores. Plus her magic stat is the highest out of every single character and she is just one of the ones I leveled up for the big bad.

(haven't beat the game yet am too busy doing all the little side missions to get new espers and such)

How do the lores even work? I've kinda just been playing the game and then randomly get them. I love mighty guard so much.

(Same, here. I only have two espers left, I think)

1 hour ago, That1Cellist said:

How do the lores even work? I've kinda just been playing the game and then randomly get them. I love mighty guard so much.

(Same, here. I only have two espers left, I think)

Basically strago has to either see or get hit by (can't remember which) a lore get used and then he learns it and can cast it like a spell with MP. If Relm uses control (sketch also works but is less reliable) then she can make the enemy use the attack and he will still learn it so it is just a really easy way to get the really OP ones (although most of mine were also by accident)

Just now, ExoticAlmond said:

Basically strago has to either see or get hit by (can't remember which) a lore get used and then he learns it and can cast it like a spell with MP. If Relm uses control (sketch also works but is less reliable) then she can make the enemy use the attack and he will still learn it so it is just a really easy way to get the really OP ones (although most of mine were also by accident)

Ah, that makes sense. Does Gau's level not increase like the others in the world of ruin? All the other characters felt like they gained a few levels to be close to each other but Gau didn't, so he's currently level eighteen and literally unusable unless I grind experience for him.

4 minutes ago, That1Cellist said:

Ah, that makes sense. Does Gau's level not increase like the others in the world of ruin? All the other characters felt like they gained a few levels to be close to each other but Gau didn't, so he's currently level eighteen and literally unusable unless I grind experience for him.

that happened to me too so I don't know.

(I never used him anyway)

Edited by ExoticAlmond

Sorry for the double post but I thought I would share.

I grinded for LITERALLY an entire day in the esper cavern before challenging the ultima beast so my main party members were like level 40 and terra and mog (because yes I use him) knew every spell available at that stage in the game with relm and locke knowing most of them.

6 minutes ago, ExoticAlmond said:

Sorry for the double post but I thought I would share.

I grinded for LITERALLY an entire day in the esper cavern before challenging the ultima beast so my main party members were like level 40 and terra and mog (because yes I use him) knew every spell available at that stage in the game with relm and locke knowing most of them.

The first and probably only time I had to grind for a boss was the stupid engine tentacles. I had to eventually resort to using fenrir and then spamming whatever high damage things I had. Even with the grinding and stuff I still barely won.

8 minutes ago, That1Cellist said:

The first and probably only time I had to grind for a boss was the stupid engine tentacles. I had to eventually resort to using fenrir and then spamming whatever high damage things I had. Even with the grinding and stuff I still barely won.

I didn't need to grind I just wanted to feel absolute superiority

36 minutes ago, That1Cellist said:

That's fair, but what about esper stat boosts? Were you optimizing those as well? I doubt it, since you wouldn't have had access to some of the good stat boosting espers at that point

Yeah no i wasn't optimizing them too much. Except for when Terra and Mog learned every available spell then I optimized them a bit. I mostly wanted them to know a majority of spells and get to a high level.

I will say that it was worth it because later on the guide told me that his characters were just approaching level 40 for one of the extra esper missions and I was like "I already did that in world of balance"

Edited by ExoticAlmond

Just now, ExoticAlmond said:

Yeah no i wasn't optimizing them too much. Except for when Terra and Mog learned every available spell then I optimized them a bit. I mostly wanted them to know a majority of spells and get to a high level.

That's fair. I like that.

Some of the late game items are so broken.

1 minute ago, That1Cellist said:

Some of the late game items are so broken.

Yeah. I will say that I don't like the instant-death weapons a whole lot because they make undead (or similar) enemies revive when killed by them even if it wasn't an instant death hit.

I put dragoon boots and a dragon horn on Mog and he is amazing now.

Edited by ExoticAlmond

19 hours ago, Ranryu said:

I realize this was said a while ago but Gogo can be controlled you have to set his abilities and he can use literally any ability that others can plus if you equip magic on him he know the spell if 1 character knows it. his only real downside is not being able to equip espers and fairly average stats.

8 minutes ago, ExoticAlmond said:

I realize this was said a while ago but Gogo can be controlled you have to set his abilities and he can use literally any ability that others can plus if you equip magic on him he know the spell if 1 character knows it. his only real downside is not being able to equip espers and fairly average stats.

Gogo takes too much brainpower for me to use. Especially if he has a healing rod equipped.

Edited by That1Cellist

3 minutes ago, That1Cellist said:

So, so many times I've healed the enemy. I tried to use it with the master scroll for amazing party heals but ummmmmm yeah that doesn't work very well.

I know I've already siad this but Mog plus dragoon boots and dragon horn is amazing

equipped with a spear dragoon boots makes jump deal double damage and with dragon horn he gets off 2-4 of these attacks all at full attack power while not taking any damage while in the air.

3 minutes ago, ExoticAlmond said:

I know I've already siad this but Mog plus dragoon boots and dragon horn is amazing

equipped with a spear dragoon boots makes jump deal double damage and with dragon horn he gets off 2-4 of these attacks all at full attack power while not taking any damage while in the air.

I'll have to try it. I had the dragoon stuff on Locke but I'm realizing that's likely not a good idea.