Bound - Immortality is Overrated

The Unknown Ajah

14 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

Myrto held out the spear in front of him, carefully defending himself.

Branthin twirled his club keeping his shield in between him and the man, then swung towards Myrto's head, but pivoted around at the last second, swinging towards Myrto's gut.

12 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

She slammed her knee into the dog's chest. These people are unfortunately hardy.

And we haven’t even gotten to the ones that can't die.

It whimpered, just barely staying on top. The captain stood up, making sure to keep pressure on his neck and aimed a kick at her head. 

9 minutes ago, PyroPhile said:

Yay, somebody picked a Metalbound! This is good for *reasons*.

7 hours ago, The Known Novel said:

Branthin twirled his club keeping his shield in between him and the man, then swung towards Myrto's head, but pivoted around at the last second, swinging towards Myrto's gut.

It whimpered, just barely staying on top. The captain stood up, making sure to keep pressure on his neck and aimed a kick at her head. 

Myrto, realizing that he likely wouldn't be able to fully block the club with only his spear, began to dodge. The club still hit, and there was a crab as it broke a rib. Somehow, Myrto didn't fall or even pay too much notice to the injury. With a sudden leap, he threw himself at Branthin, spear aimed for his neck and already most of the way there.

Do you want this fight to end soon?

@The Known Novel

Edited by The Aspiring Archivist

29 minutes ago, The Known Novel said:

I wasn't sure if you wanted to change that last bit, since he would have no reason to ask

Ah. No. He asked what positions were open, he only knows that there are positions open. 

Valence waited for a moment, then continued. 

"I am adept at various ranged weapons, as well as investigation and diplomacy. I am adequate with a sword, though I am far from a master of it. I am also trained in the detection of poisons and toxins."

7 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

A kick to the head. She coughed in shock, but grit her teeth against the pain. Instead of flinching she grabbed a fistful of the dog's throat to shove it off her and onto the ground, bloody knife still gripped in her other hand. She raised it up, aiming for the jaw.

As if an unseen master was calling it, the hound leaped off the girl not caring what hair it tore. It didn't quite free itself, so the captain swung his spear but to break her hand free.

7 hours ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

Myrto, realizing that he likely wouldn't be able to fully block the club with only his spear, began to dodge. The club still hit, and there was a crab as it broke a rib. Somehow, Myrto didn't fall or even pay too much notice to the injury. With a sudden leap, he threw himself at Branthin, spear aimed for his neck and already most of the way there.

Branthin jerked back to avoid the spear, but tripped, stumbling to the ground and jerking his shield to protect himself.

7 hours ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

Valence waited for a moment, then continued. 

"I am adept at various ranged weapons, as well as investigation and diplomacy. I am adequate with a sword, though I am far from a master of it. I am also trained in the detection of poisons and toxins."

"Well, this just makes me more grateful I had time to meet with you," he said, keeping the lie up, "I personally oversee the Investigative Squad, and we need all the men we can get. Of course," he added almost reluctantly, "the normal Guard can always use more men. I do not believe we have any open administration spots, but if that is more to your tastes I could always check."

Just now, The Known Novel said:

Branthin jerked back to avoid the spear, but tripped, stumbling to the ground and jerking his shield to protect himself.

The short man leaped down onto him, using momentum to grab the shield from Branthin's hand and tear it away before he crashed awkwardly onto the ground behind him.

14 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Hound jump away. Grip too stronk. Spear hit hand. Try break stronk grip.

21 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

The short man leaped down onto him, using momentum to grab the shield from Branthin's hand and tear it away before he crashed awkwardly onto the ground behind him.

Branthin was an intelligent man, but no-one in their right minds would call him broad. In fact, he could easily be considered scrawny. So without the protection of his shield, he scrambled away. He turned half his attention away from Myrto, calculating distances. He turned, breaking into a dead run towards  Headquarters. 

Davian stood up, dazed. Or at least he tried to stand up. His body moved sluggishly. The world was grey. So much grey. But he saw a few glows of color, very faint blue in the direction of Branthin, a green glow from Captain Fedrost that formed the shape of a dog on its hind legs. Their souls, Davian realized. He could see their souls. What was going on?

Just now, The Known Novel said:

Branthin was an intelligent man, but no-one in their right minds would call him broad. In fact, he could easily be considered scrawny. So without the protection of his shield, he scrambled away. He turned half his attention away from Myrto, calculating distances. He turned, breaking into a dead run towards  Headquarters. 

Davian stood up, dazed. Or at least he tried to stand up. His body moved sluggishly. The world was grey. So much grey. But he saw a few glows of color, very faint blue in the direction of Branthin, a green glow from Captain Fedrost that formed the shape of a dog on its hind legs. Their souls, Davian realized. He could see their souls. What was going on?

Myrto began running after him, then threw his spear at the man with great speed and true aim.

The spear will hit him in the back unless he somehow sees it coming and avoids it or otherwise gets out of its way.

38 minutes ago, The Known Novel said:

As if an unseen master was calling it, the hound leaped off the girl not caring what hair it tore. It didn't quite free itself, so the captain swung his spear but to break her hand free.

She took the hit with a loud grunt of pain. Blood sprang from the back of her hand, already slipping across her wrist and fingers and sticking across the fur. Instinct forced her hand to slacken, but she lunged forward to throw her weight over the hound anyways. She aimed for the head with her knife, stabbing into the eye socket.

2 hours ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

Myrto began running after him, then threw his spear at the man with great speed and true aim.

Branthin, who was possessing of no supernatural senses, kept running. The spear hit him in the worst possible place. Directly between ribs, just left of his spine. He dropped to one knee, then once again drew out his needle pouch. He drew out his needles, then frowned. They both a had a slight tint, one blue and the other red. It was impossible to use a physical used needle for soul manipulation, and it was an even worse fate to be bound with a used soul needle than it was to be Halfbound. His blood drained from his face. He looked back at the fight, and whispered two words. "I'm sorry." Then he withdrew the last item in his pouch. It was a small disk with a hole through it. The hole wasn't in the center, it was from one side to the other, like a tunnel. He then took that same used soul needle, and threaded it through the space where his collarbones met. He let out a small gasp as he felt his soul slide away. But it didn't leave completely. Not yet.

He drove the needle through the hole in the disk, the last motion of every Binder that knew they were dying. The blue glow poured out from the needle into the metal. And Branthin's soul flowed with it.

Slowly he faded from this world, and all that was left was a see-through blue coin, worth more money than most men ever see in their lives.

2 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

She took the hit with a loud grunt of pain. Blood sprang from the back of her hand, already slipping across her wrist and fingers and sticking across the fur. Instinct forced her hand to slacken, but she lunged forward to throw her weight over the hound anyways. She aimed for the head with her knife, stabbing into the eye socket.

The hound tried to jerk away, but it wasn't enough. The knife drove into the socket. Not quite deep enough to kill it, but it was a near thing.

Go get the commander, came the mental command. And so the dog ran. Fedrust swung the butt of the spear at the girl, and circled around so she couldn't give chase.

Davian grabbed his sword. The captain would deal with the girl, so he turned towards the man who had just thrown away his weapon. Now all he had was a shield. Davian smiled. It took him a second before he actually got the expression. Well, he had to hope he could react fast enough to win the fight. And so he charged.

1 minute ago, The Known Novel said:

Branthin, who was possessing of no supernatural senses, kept running. The spear hit him in the worst possible place. Directly between ribs, just left of his spine. He dropped to one knee, then once again drew out his needle pouch. He drew out his needles, then frowned. They both a had a slight tint, one blue and the other red. It was impossible to use a physical used needle for soul manipulation, and it was an even worse fate to be bound with a used soul needle than it was to be Halfbound. His blood drained from his face. He looked back at the fight, and whispered two words. "I'm sorry." Then he withdrew the last item in his pouch. It was a small disk with a hole through it. The hole wasn't in the center, it was from one side to the other, like a tunnel. He then took that same used soul needle, and threaded it through the space where his collarbones met. He let out a small gasp as he felt his soul slide away. But it didn't leave completely. Not yet.

He drove the needle through the hole in the disk, the last motion of every Binder that knew they were dying. The blue glow poured out from the needle into the metal. And Branthin's soul flowed with it.

Slowly he faded from this world, and all that was left was a see-through blue coin, worth more money than most men ever see in their lives.

Myrto frowned, jogging up to the coin on the ground where the man had been. He picked it up and pocketed it before running back to the fight, choosing to ignore the fleeing hound.

She kicked to her feet the instant the hound fled, and wasted no time in charging the captain again. Fresh pain flared across her free hand, but she grabbed another knife regardless to slash in an X across the man's face. He wasn't anywhere near as strong, fast, or skilled as the likes of opponents she'd managed to defeat before... but sitll, that didn't make him any less of a real threat. It took taking every fight seriously to stay alive in a world this harsh and unforgiving.

4 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

Myrto frowned, jogging up to the coin on the ground where the man had been. He picked it up and pocketed it before running back to the fight, choosing to ignore the fleeing hound.

\/\/\/

8 minutes ago, The Known Novel said:

Davian grabbed his sword. The captain would deal with the girl, so he turned towards the man who had just thrown away his weapon. Now all he had was a shield. Davian smiled. It took him a second before he actually got the expression. Well, he had to hope he could react fast enough to win the fight. And so he charged.

2 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

She kicked to her feet the instant the hound fled, and wasted no time in charging the captain again. Fresh pain flared across her free hand, but she grabbed another knife regardless to slash in an X across the man's face. He wasn't anywhere near as strong, fast, or skilled as the likes of opponents she'd managed to defeat before... but sitll, that didn't make him any less of a real threat. It took taking every fight seriously to stay alive in a world this harsh and unforgiving.

Captain Anintino Telrasi Fedrust stepped a perfect step back, and when he smiled at the girl, his teeth were sharp as points and his face was shifting to jut forward like an animal. His beard grew to cover his face and his flesh sagged, forming cheek flaps. His hands changed too, and he tossed his spear away. Crouching low, ready for any incoming attacks, he reached to his back, grabbing two curved swords. They had claws on the hand guards, perfect for slashing and punching.

1 minute ago, The Known Novel said:

Captain Anintino Telrasi Fedrust stepped a perfect step back, and when he smiled at the girl, his teeth were sharp as points and his face was shifting to jut forward like an animal. His beard grew to cover his face and his flesh sagged, forming cheek flaps. His hands changed too, and he tossed his spear away. Crouching low, ready for any incoming attacks, he reached to his back, grabbing two curved swords. They had claws on the hand guards, perfect for slashing and punching.

Wielding his spear once again, Myrto approached the fight but did not enter.

Okay. Tell me if this works for my character. If you need me to change anything, I can do that.

Spoiler

Name: Marcalla "Mark" Rioll

Magic and Skills: She's currently got no magic, but is pretty skilled with knives. She is a master glassblower, and took over her family's glassblowing business. Her great grandpa accidentally created what was essentially cosmetic contact lenses. He went nowhere with the discovery, and once Marcalla took over the family buisness, she decided to develop the lenses further. 

Description: She's an albino (very pale skin, nearly white hair, bright red eyes) and is often mistaken for someone who is metalbound. She appears to be in her 20s to 30s.

Personality: She's generally irritated.

Goal: To get rich selling colored lenses to people that want to hide their bindings, and to stay alive in the process.

9 hours ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

Wielding his spear once again, Myrto approached the fight but did not enter.

9 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

She plugged up one of her nostils to hawk out a glob of blood and mucus. "You so insist on having yourself killed today?"

"I won't be the one dying today, sweetie. You two killed a City Guard, I can kill you and no-one will bat an eye. Broken Hells, they'll probably buy me a drink." First came his fist, traveling towards her face at a blinding speed, and not far behind came a slash across her stomach.

1 hour ago, Random Bystander said:

Looks good to me. Contacts are a little modern (a lot modern), but I think it can be just about stretched with the cultural significance on eyes and some random chance. Not sure how we're going to fit this into the main roleplay, but fun idea.

28 minutes ago, The Known Novel said:

"I won't be the one dying today, sweetie. You two killed a City Guard, I can kill you and no-one will bat an eye. Broken Hells, they'll probably buy me a drink." First came his fist, traveling towards her face at a blinding speed, and not far behind came a slash across her stomach.

Yay! I've been really excited about this idea since I saw this RP, so I'm glad that you are okay with it.

Should I try to incorporate my character into the main plot? If you want me to do something else, I'm fine with that.

Marcalla walked down the street with her head down.

35 minutes ago, The Known Novel said:

She leapt backwards, kicking off her foot to avoid both attacks. But even then, the moment she hit the ground behind her she darted back forwards with a slash of her knife. The sudden jerk between motions was uncanny, seeming to defy all the natural laws of the world. What's more, her new attack was just as accurate as all the rest despite how unnatural it was.

Edited by Channelknight Fadran

14 hours ago, The Known Novel said:

"Well, this just makes me more grateful I had time to meet with you," he said, keeping the lie up, "I personally oversee the Investigative Squad, and we need all the men we can get. Of course," he added almost reluctantly, "the normal Guard can always use more men. I do not believe we have any open administration spots, but if that is more to your tastes I could always check."

Valence thought for a moment.

"I believe I would prefer to join the Investigative Squad. I do not enjoy administrative positions. I would be willing to join the normal Guard, but I would not prefer it."

23 hours ago, PyroPhile said:

This is what I have so far.

Name: Ferrtan

Magic and Skills: Metalbound; left arm covered entirely with steel

Description: [REDACTED]

Personality: So lazy that he is extremely dedicated to making things to do stuff for him

Goal: [REDACTED]

Where should I join, and can I get a TL;DR?