Bound - Immortality is Overrated

The Unknown Ajah

3 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

No. Except for wildbinding. Mentioned here:

8 hours ago, The Known Novel said:

3 hours ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

Valence smiled faintly. It was often amusing when people noticed his eyes. It tended to throw them for a loop. 

"Good afternoon, Commander Atadin. You requested to see me personally." His voice buzzed with a strange accent. "This is unusual for you, yes?"

He would still assume he's soulbound, it’s hard enough to see color from across a room, let alone shades of blue.

Atadin pondered at the accent. Was this man from outside the Civilized Nations? Travelers were common enough in Coulforrin, back before Vithankre had taken power, though those from outside the Nations were always rare anywhere. People had been nervous for a while, and were just starting to trickle back in. "I like to meet the new recruits when I have the time, but unfortunately my schedule doesn't allow for it. Today I was already interviewing a recruit for the Investigative Squad, so I figured I could interview you as well." He lied with the ease and efficiency of a man that got his money from a government that kept its purse strings tight.

"Now tell me," Atadin gestured to his own eyes, "how are you Bound?"

12 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Atadin, who is the commander of City Guard and personally oversees the Investigative Squad, interviewed a Metalbound, was kinda forced recruit her, and is now meeting with Valence, who is joining the Guard to investigate Vithankre. Feel free to make another one if you want, we can figure out some way to tie it in.

Name: Myrto

Magic and Skills: Not bound to anything, but grafted many times to the point of insanity. Good with a spear, one of which he keeps on his back at all times.

Description: Short, jet-black hair, kaleidoscopic eyes as a result of the grafting. A former soldier.

Personality: Normally friendly and helpful, but... well, you'll see.

Goal: Currently, he's going around aimlessly with the mission of 'destroying the enemy.' However, he's not very stable, so this goal will likely be problematic.

What do you think? I'll probably develop it a little more as we go along.

@The Known Novel

1 minute ago, The Known Novel said:

I was thinking he'd probably wander around and eventually demand to speak to someone for no particular reason, if that's alright. Unless you can think of a better reason for why he'd be brought in there.

Would your character be the kind of person who a guard would bring a troublemaker to?

41 minutes ago, The Known Novel said:

The black-haired man with wild eyes threw his cards down on the table. The man across from him laughed. "Not a very good hand, that?"

"You cheated" Myrto said darkly.

"Please, friend, people get unlucky. Come on, another hand." He reached for the bet on the table. In a flash, Myrto had grabbed that hand, digging his nails into flesh. The dealer pulled away with a cry of outrage. "What is wrong with you, man?"

"You cheated."

"I did no such thing!"

"Oh, really?" Myrto grabbed the cards, spreading them out. He pointed at various unique markings on the backs of different cards. They would have been nearly impossible to notice for someone not experienced in card trickery. "Explain that."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Without warning, Myrto upheaved the table, flipping it entirely and landing it on the man. As he scrambled out from beneath it, Myrto stabbed him in the hand with a spear.

Your guard can probably get involved at this point.

Edit: Do you want to do that now, or wait until Emulaton Stormenkiin is back? We could probably have the chase and capture and stop after that, unless you're fine with interrupting that conversation.

@The Known Novel

Edited by The Aspiring Archivist

11 hours ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

The black-haired man with wild eyes threw his cards down on the table. The man across from him laughed. "Not a very good hand, that?"

"You cheated" Myrto said darkly.

"Please, friend, people get unlucky. Come on, another hand." He reached for the bet on the table. In a flash, Myrto had grabbed that hand, digging his nails into flesh. The dealer pulled away with a cry of outrage. "What is wrong with you, man?"

"You cheated."

"I did no such thing!"

"Oh, really?" Myrto grabbed the cards, spreading them out. He pointed at various unique markings on the backs of different cards. They would have been nearly impossible to notice for someone not experienced in card trickery. "Explain that."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Without warning, Myrto upheaved the table, flipping it entirely and landing it on the man. As he scrambled out from beneath it, Myrto stabbed him in the hand with a spear.

@The Known Novel

Yeah let's let Emu catch up first.

18 hours ago, The Known Novel said:

Atadin pondered at the accent. Was this man from outside the Civilized Nations? Travelers were common enough in Coulforrin, back before Vithankre had taken power, though those from outside the Nations were always rare anywhere. People had been nervous for a while, and were just starting to trickle back in. "I like to meet the new recruits when I have the time, but unfortunately my schedule doesn't allow for it. Today I was already interviewing a recruit for the Investigative Squad, so I figured I could interview you as well." He lied with the ease and efficiency of a man that got his money from a government that kept its purse strings tight.

"Now tell me," Atadin gestured to his own eyes, "how are you Bound?"

Sorry, I have a window about once a day that I can post, though I try to respond as soon as possible. It varies, though. Sundays are often unavailable for me.

Suggestion: have some form of oathbinding, it would be interesting, especially if it is not well known.

"Interesting," Valence murmured quietly. This man was an experienced liar, it seemed. Though, aside from the professed preference to meeting new recruits personally, he did not believe he was lying.

"I am what your people call Fleshbound. Have been for a while now. It was tradition among my people to bind in some way any who had twinned eyes, two-color eyes. My name is Valence Skywinder."

@The Known Novel

3 hours ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

"Interesting," Valence murmured quietly. This man was an experienced liar, it seemed. Though, aside from the professed preference to meeting new recruits personally, he did not believe he was lying.

"I am what your people call Fleshbound. Have been for a while now. It was tradition among my people to bind in some way any who had twinned eyes, two-color eyes. My name is Valence Skywinder."

@The Known Novel

It's all good, but I know how annoying it is to get left behind, so I'm going to try to not do that.

Also, does Valence have any obvious signs of Grafting?

"Hmm, yes. And who are your people? Judging from the accent, not one of the Civilized Nations?" There was no way that this man, Valence, was from one of the Nations, but it was best to get a truth and a lie to have something to base future interactions on.

11 minutes ago, The Known Novel said:

"Hmm, yes. And who are your people? Judging from the accent, not one of the Civilized Nations?" There was no way that this man, Valence, was from one of the Nations, but it was best to get a truth and a lie to have something to base future interactions on.

If the guard is bringing Myrto to Atadin, then we could go through the chase scene and then wait for Emu to be back before he actually gets brought in.