Bound - Immortality is Overrated

The Unknown Ajah

So, I've noticed a couple roleplays pop up recently (turns out about half weren't actually roleplays, but whatever), but I'd been toying around with a magic system (or five, rolled up into one), that I thought might make an interesting roleplay. Setting is pretty much whatever you guys want to make it, and the magic system is detailed in the spoiler below. Don't worry, pretty much of them can be summed up in about a paragraph or two.

Spoiler

There are two categorizations that are generally accepted for the magics although they aren't quite accurate. For instance, Wildbinding is considered a lesser binding because it is generally looked down upon, but should most likely be a greater binding. A better classification would be bindings of the soul, such as Soul (sometimes called True or Life) and Wild bindings versus binding of the physical, such as Flesh and Metal bindings, and even Grafting.

The Greater Bindings:

Soulbinding 

Spoiler

This is the most common type of Binding. A Soulbinding is made between two people. They can sense each other's emotions constantly, and have a slight Telepathic link, allowing them to hear 'projected' thoughts. They constantly have a slight awareness of what the other person is seeing and hearing which they can encrease at will to see through twhir eyes or hear through their ears. Should one die, their body will disintegrate, reforming into the state of body (clothing and weaponry including) they were in when the bonding took place. The irises of the soulbound both turn to a solid light blue.

Fleshbinding

Spoiler

Fleshbinding is the second most common type of binding, binding a soul to their own flesh. This stops a Fleshbound from ever truly dying. While a Fleshbound's heart may stop, they can keep fighting as long as their muscles can move. Fleshbound have increased senses of touch and taste, often being able to tell the material of an object by touch or taste poison (which doesn't work on them). Grafters often give discounts to Fleshbound to encourage repeat business. Due to the belief that Fleshbound souls cannot go on to the afterlife, many cultures and religious sects either look down upon it or think it is downright blasphemous. The irises of Fleshbound turn into a solid version of their original color.

The Lesser Bindings:

Wildbinding

Spoiler

While perhaps the oldest form of Binding, and the only one that doesn't require conscious effort to create, Wildbinding and the Wildbound are very looked down upon in most cultures. Known practitioners were commonly burned just a few decades ago, and even now it is a death sentence to be one in many places, and in others killings are not uncommon and often overlooked. This practice is likely caused by the nature of the bond to slowly make bonded take on the shape, mannerisms, and eventually even minds of their bond animal(s). A Wildbound can see through the eyes, hear through the ears, smell through the nose, taste through the mouth, and otherwise sense everything their bond animal (sometimes called familiar) can sense. A Wildbound can also accelerate their transformation into their familiar's shape, but while it is near instantaneous to turn into the animal, it is slow to turn back and impossible to reverse the effects completely. The senses of a Wildbound are also changed, but while they change comparatively to the animal they are bonded to, they are still only slightly effected. Unlike other Bindings, a Wildbound can Bind themselves to multiple creatures, but multiple Bindings of different types are still impossible. The transformation of the Wildbound is increased with every bonded animal, and both their slow transformation and their shape change turn them into a conglomerate of all of their familiars. The eyes are the first things to change, immediately to the same color as their bond animal, and within the first half year for the shape and iris.

Metalbinding

Spoiler

Metalbinding is a recent discovery, and it is believed that it will overtake Fleshbinding and perhaps even Soulbinding in popularity. Some nations have banned it, but by and large it is excepted. Metalbound can have metal grafted onto their skin, within hours, they are able to move it as if it were flesh. While the process is much slower than that of the Wildbound, causing it to be unknown due to the newness of the art, Metalbound slowly fuse to the metal, stiffening it. Their skin also slowly stiffens, growing harder as well. Metalbound are immune to metal poisoning and are extremely to completely resistant to poison. They do not need to eat or drink either, and they take far longer to tire than normal men. Metalbound are stronger than normal, but not by much. The parts of them directly augmented by metal are even stronger than that, and different metals have odd effects. Iron and steel are most common, and as such it is a commonly held belief that Metalbound are weak near water. This is a consequence of the metals they have, not a standard trait. Metalbound have glowing red irises. The distinction is not understood inworld, but true Metalbound, which no-one inworld understands how to make, have irises the color of the metal that is grafted onto them.

Grafting

Spoiler

Grafting takes the place of most medical knowledge in this world, but since medieval medicine was really bad, it's no real loss. Using Grafting, you can attach a piece of human or animal flesh, melding it onto someone's body. This effectively instantly heals them. It can also be done on a larger scale with limbs and even new appendages, but that takes much more skill. It is often illegal to Graft using animal parts, but many back alley Grafters simply ignore the rules. Grafting in small amounts has little effect, but major Graftings or more then ten smaller ones (especially when using animal parts) can cause people to go mad. Animal parts often lower intelligence and cause the Grafted to grow angry at small things, whereas human parts cause you to take on the personalities of the people you have Grafted onto you. Sometimes when people have more than fifty or so human Grafts, they hear whispers and feel inclinations that are not their own. When someone has more than a hundred or so Grafts, their eyes start to kaleidoscope and become a conglomerate of their many donors eyes. People who have this feature are often called Patchworks, and are rarely sane. The only exception to this is the Fleshbound, who never suffer the ill effects of Grafting.

Character Sheets:

Spoiler

Base Sheet:

Name:

Magic and Skills:

Description:

Personality:

Goal:

Atadin, @The Known Novel

Name: Atadin Kavor

Magic and Skills: He is soulbound to his brother, who is in prison for murder. The only reason his brother wasn't executed was because he was soulbound to Atadin. He is a skilled detective and investigator. He is a average sword fighter, and is above average with sword and shield. He also prefers to wear light armor when possible.

Description: He has blonde hair and, of course, blue eyes. He is short and stocky. If his face weren't so scarred and his nose broken so much, he would be considered a little handsome. He shaves his head so his hair can't be used against him in a fight. He let's his beard grow out a little, but keeps it short. His mustache is quite puffy though.

Personality: Atadin is a simple man. He loves the concept of the law, if not the words themselves, and dedicated his life to enforcing it. He has a sharper mind than most would think, but hides it since he likes people underestimating him. He is very traditional in his overall views, but his view of the individual always overrides any preexisting prejudices.

Goal: He wants to uphold the law and solve whatever case he's working on. He has mostly given up on his brother, but he'll never completely leave behind his dreams of breaking him out.

For the sake of speed, we'll all start in Coulforrin, the capital of a republic now controlled by a dictator. I'll get the ball rolling with this bit of roleplay:

Atadin sighed, before calling to the door. "Enter." Recruits for the City Guard were uncommon, but they came around often enough that Atadin could delegate the interviewing process to Major Gard. Unfortunately, this recruit had specifically requested to join the Investigative Squadron. That meant Atadin had to personally evaluate the recruitee.

The first thing Atadin noticed was her eyes. When you worked with and against Bonded of all kinds, you learned to look at the eyes. And he was struck. Redder than a sunset, and while it was hard to tell in the daylight, he was sure they glowed as well. "I wasn't told you were a Metalbound."

"I don't advertise it." She slid into the chair. If he hadn't already known, or heard her voice, Atadin wouldn't have realized she was a woman. Her head was covered in copper plating, forming a sort of helmet. And although her clothes obscured it, he was sure she had a full suit of integrated armor underneath. 

"Why not? Coulforrin is an enlightened city. Even Wildbound are free to walk the streets." Broken Hells, we even have one on our Investigative squad.

She snorted. "Doesn't matter what the Dictator claims, this city is enlightened as a closed box."

"Wait one moment, the City Guard is funded by the High War Councilor." I may not think highly of him, but I occupy an appointed position. Please don't make this difficult for me. Atadin would most likely have to hire her, the squad had too few members to turn down a Bonded of any type. At least if they could keep their unpopular politic views quiet.

"And I don't intend to risk that funding, I just assumed this was a closed meeting, and besides, it's best you know my views now and don't get surprised by them on the field."

"You talk like you're already hired."

"Can you afford to not hire me?" Break and bind her, she did her research. 

"Better a funded understaffed squad than a fund less squad with one extra member that we can't pay."

"Don't worry, I'll keep it quiet." She smirked. The arrogance annoyed Atadin. Back when he had joined the Guard, you had to start at the bottom. Now, with a decent education and a bond, you could join the most desired position right away.

"You're in, provided you can pass the physical."  I'll have to go tell Bruth that she gets the special treatment. Technically it was illegal to have different tests for Bonded and regs, but what Vithankre didn't know couldn't hurt him.

"Goodday, on your way out could you send Melna in?"

"Of course."

Atadin waited just long enough, then said, "The proper address is now sir, or commander. I expect decorum in my squad." At least where one of the High War Councillors spies or Inquisitors could be lurking. That got Atadin thinking. Could she be a spy for the Vith? That deeply unsettled him. He would have to keep an eye on her.

Melna walked in. She was the wife of the of the ordinary guard members, hired to fill Atadin's great need for an assistant, and to allow her to be closer to her husband. "Commander?"

Atadin leaned back. "Send a message down to Bruth, tell him he's got a Metalbound recruit he needs to test." Ah, Broken Hells, might as well. "And send in that other recruit, I'll give Garrin a easy day today."

"Yes, sir." Technically she didn't need to say sir, but the woman was ten times as militarily minded as her husband. He was surprised she hadn't decided to bond a soldier and join a war pair.

A few moments later, another knock sounded from the door. "Enter," Atadin called.

Feel free to enter as the new recruit if you want.

Okay, I'd love to join. However, I first need some clarification. Your magic system has entirely to do with binding things to you, either to your body or your soul. My main question is: is it possible to be bound to anything not listed? And is it possible to be subject to multiple bindings?

Other questions involve the history of your world and the area.

5 minutes ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

1.Okay, I'd love to join. However, I first need some clarification. Your magic system has entirely to do with binding things to you, either to your body or your soul. My main question is: is it possible to be bound to anything not listed? 2. And is it possible to be subject to multiple bindings?

3.Other questions involve the history of your world and the area.

1. Yes, but no. Technically it is possible, but think of it like hemalurgic monstrosities, it's very hard to make a stable one. The comment about True Metalbound plays into this. Alternative bindings are fine if you want, but probably only one or two people should have them because they’re extremely rare. 

2. For the most part, no. Wildbound can bind multiple animals (it's harder, but not altogether uncommon), Metalbound can bind as much of as many kinds of materials as they wish, and Grafting is compatible with all the others, but you can't be Flesh and Metalbound, or Soul and Wild bound.

3. Nonexistent. These are only things I've got:

Main country used to be a republic, got overthrown by a dictator warlord called Vithankre. Think half Napoleon, half Julius Caesar.

There's a group of five or so friendlyish countries called the Civilized Nations. They do things.

Outside of the Civilized Nations, there's the Far Empire, which is across a dense mountain range and doesn't do much concerning the other half of the world, and plenty of smaller city states and tribe sof Wildbound and such.

Otherwise make it up as you wish.

Spoiler

Base Sheet:

Name: Valence Skywinder

Magic and Skills: Fleshbound. Fluent in a dozen language, both living and dead, and passable in many more. Excellent at identifying poisons, having spent many years as various King's Testers. Pretty good with a sword, and very agile. Excellent with bow and crossbow. Decent at clockwork and picking locks, given the right tools. Also knits.

Description: Before being Fleshbound, had heterochromia, and so now has a golden iris and a blue iris, both very vibrant. Physically can't grow a beard, and keeps  his black hair short so he does not have to do much with it. Six feet tall, he is thin but wiry, keeping in excellent shape. His face looks almost alien, with sharp features and tilted eyes. He has an accent that hints at times long past.

History: Raised on an island nation about two centuries back, he was out sailing a small boat when the island volcano exploded, destroying everyone there and smashing his boat. He sank into the sea, and not having anything else to do, walked slowly along an underwater mountain range until he reached another island, far enough away that it had only felt the tidal wave from the explosion of his home. He negotiated a ride to the mainland, and existed there, trying to find a purpose in life. After seeing much destruction and war, he decided to negotiate peace where he could, and ultimately formed a plan to create peace across the world.

Personality: Primarily calm and patient, but can be very firm. Gives others the benefit of the doubt more often than he probably should, butis normally right to do so. His mind is always spinning with thoughts and possibilities, and he has dozens of hobbies. Is physically incapable of feeling fear.

Goal: Tries to guide history towards peace and prosperity from the shadows, wishes to investigate Vithankre

Valence waited patiently outside the office of the City Guard. He had arrived in the city a week before, and as an outsider had had a great deal of trouble getting a job, much less one that would get him close to Vithankre. He needed to know what kind of person this warlord was. He could ultimately either accelerate or delay his plans by decades depending on his choices and that of his government.

Before he could plot further, he was invited in and told he would meet Commander Atadin. He knocked politely on the door, and a gruff voice responded.

"Enter."

Valence opened the door and walked in.

Edited by EmulatonStromenkiin

21 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

There are specific binders for all but Wildbinding. These binders are basically like any other trade, but more expensive and rare. Kind of modern doctor like. They tend to specialize in one type of Binding, and most do grafting as well to make ends meet. Most binders will search out a specialized one, especially if they have the money for it. Wildbinding just naturally occurs when a human and animal both touch the same piece of silver, or their blood intermingles and one touches silver. A skilled binder who knows how can also create it.

Nothing really maintains the bond, the needles used to make it aren't necessary after the initial creation.

If someone wants to play such a Binder, I can probably go more in depth, but would rather not otherwise as it would probably get long.

25 minutes ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:
  Hide contents

Base Sheet:

Name: Valence Skywinder

Magic and Skills: Fleshbound. Fluent in a dozen language, both living and dead, and passable in many more. Excellent at identifying poisons, having spent many years as various King's Testers. Pretty good with a sword, and very agile. Excellent with bow and crossbow. Decent at clockwork and picking locks, given the right tools. Also knits.

Description: Before being Fleshbound, had heterochromia, and so now has a golden iris and a blue iris, both very vibrant. Physically can't grow a beard, and keeps  his black hair short so he does not have to do much with it. Six feet tall, he is thin but wiry, keeping in excellent shape. His face looks almost alien, with sharp features and tilted eyes. He has an accent that hints at times long past.

History: Raised on an island nation about two centuries back, he was out sailing a small boat when the island volcano exploded, destroying everyone there and smashing his boat. He sank into the sea, and not having anything else to do, walked slowly along an underwater mountain range until he reached another island, far enough away that it had only felt the tidal wave from the explosion of his home. He negotiated a ride to the mainland, and existed there, trying to find a purpose in life. After seeing much destruction and war, he decided to negotiate peace where he could, and ultimately formed a plan to create peace across the world.

Personality: Primarily calm and patient, but can be very firm. Gives others the benefit of the doubt more often than he probably should, butis normally right to do so. His mind is always spinning with thoughts and possibilities, and he has dozens of hobbies. Is physically incapable of feeling fear.

Goal: Tries to guide history towards peace and prosperity from the shadows, wishes to investigate Vithankre

Valence waited patiently outside the office of the City Guard. He had arrived in the city a week before, and as an outsider had had a great deal of trouble getting a job, much less one that would get him close to Vithankre. He needed to know what kind of person this warlord was. He could ultimately either accelerate or delay his plans by decades depending on his choices and that of his government.

Before he could plot further, he was invited in and told he would meet Commander Atadin. He knocked politely on the door, and a gruff voice responded.

"Enter."

Valence opened the door and walked in.

I was hoping someone would do heterocramatic eyes.

Atadin looked at the eyes. Always look at the eyes. Blue, so soul... he mentally trailed off. The man's eyes were different colors.

Already on the wrong foot, he hesitated for a moment. "Um, hello." He hadn't looked at the information the man had given the Guard, but Atadin had heard that something odd was going on with him.

47 minutes ago, The Known Novel said:

There are specific binders for all but Wildbinding. These binders are basically like any other trade, but more expensive and rare. Kind of modern doctor like. They tend to specialize in one type of Binding, and most do grafting as well to make ends meet. Most binders will search out a specialized one, especially if they have the money for it. Wildbinding just naturally occurs when a human and animal both touch the same piece of silver, or their blood intermingles and one touches silver. A skilled binder who knows how can also create it.

Nothing really maintains the bond, the needles used to make it aren't necessary after the initial creation.

If someone wants to play such a Binder, I can probably go more in depth, but would rather not otherwise as it would probably get long.

...I'm afraid that that doesn't clarify much.

Edited by Channelknight Fadran

13 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

Anyone can be bound by anyone with the requisite knowledge and training. That training is hard and the knowledge is complex, but technically anyone can do it.

8 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Silver needles knit/stitch souls together. Knitting soul to their own body creates fleshbound, knitting soul to different soul creates soulbound, knitting soul to animal soul creates wildbound, knitting own body to metal creates metalbound, knitting own body to other bodies is Grafting. You can also knit souls to metal. This kills the person, then makes a sort of lens (if it's not word or some other former biological thing) that lets you see bindings.

Hopefully that helps, I can't know what exactly your asking without more specific questions.

Okay. Good to know. That makes a lot more sense.

So being fleshbound makes you practically unkillable? How does that work? If your body isn't circulating oxygen and nutrients, where does the energy come from to keep it moving? Do these bonds provide an energy source? Is there something more  m y s t i c a l  going on?

(Feel free to just say "magic," btw. I always develop my systems to work within the laws of conservation and entropy but that does not at all mean that you have to do the same).

3 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Souuulpooower!

It's taking energy from the soul to maintain the body past when it should function. It will try to heal, but it's greatly reduced from even natural healing. But even a Fleshbound can't keep going forever, if you cut off all the limbs at the joints, there's not much they can do, if you crush the body, there's nothing they can do and they're effectively dead. Fleshbound will decompose eventually, but it will take about ten times longer than normal. 

Just now, The Aspiring Archivist said:

Only after I posted.

14 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

First of all, this is a great concept.

Second, not completely, normally. Being Fleshbound with stop any further effects, but not reverse them. However. Binding is complicated, so an extremely skilled Binder could likely fix the problems, in fact, they might be able to give those problems to someone else.

Another way that might be an interesting for the character would be for them to essentially bind the pieces of soul that cause the madness to the character, blending the personalities more. This would likely create a stable person, but with a new amalgamate personality. 

So, first option would be Fleshbound, stay as they are, don't get worse, don't improve. Second would be total fix. The last way would be to merge the odd aspects back into the main person, creating a slightly different but stable personality.

Up to you, but any of these would work with a sufficiently talented Binder.

1 hour ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Oh, tech level is roughly medieval. Medicine is a little behind, armor isn't as present due to the bindings protection, which means, yay, that swords are a little more common. 

1 hour ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

For the second one, the errant pieces of soul would be bound to something or someone else. Most likely a piece of glass or metal to create a Bindfinder (when soul is bound to metal or glass, allowing someone to see bindings).

3 hours ago, The Known Novel said:

Atadin looked at the eyes. Always look at the eyes. Blue, so soul... he mentally trailed off. The man's eyes were different colors.

Already on the wrong foot, he hesitated for a moment. "Um, hello." He hadn't looked at the information the man had given the Guard, but Atadin had heard that something odd was going on with him.

Note, his blue eye is somewhat darker than soulbound.

Valence smiled faintly. It was often amusing when people noticed his eyes. It tended to throw them for a loop. 

"Good afternoon, Commander Atadin. You requested to see me personally." His voice buzzed with a strange accent. "This is unusual for you, yes?"