Fancast The Stormlight Archive

Cellit

Hi littles spren, I'm dropping by the forum because I've been reading Mistborn threads and I've seen there's one about fancast, but I haven't found anything here, so I'm going to start one about The Stormlight Archive. I'm surprised no one has thought of it before.
Also, even if we don't know if they'll make films or series of The Stormlight Archive, I'd like to see how you imagine the characters.

I will do one later but there are two characters that I can't imagine it any other way.
Shallan: Sadie Sink
Dalinar: Jeffrey Dean Morgan

And Who would you put in the casting?

Stormlight Movie Possible Actors/Actresses

Stormlight Movie Casting

Who would you cast for a Stormlight TV/Movie?

Movie Adaption of the Way of Kings

ENTIRE COSMERE OPTIONED FOR MOVIES

Words of Brandon:

Spoiler

Questioner

If you had to pick actors to play Kaladin, Lopen, Skar, Dalinar, and Rock, who would you pick?

Brandon Sanderson

I'm not sure if I could pick them all. I really like Dave Bautista for Dalinar, he is somebody that I think would do a really good job. I can give you that one; I'm not sure about the others.

Questioner

If you ever get the go for a movie or TV show, who do you want to pick as Kaladin?

Brandon Sanderson

Kaladin is a hard one to cast. Because all of the Alethi are going to be hard to cast, because they're basically half Japanese/half Arab... So I'm not sure. I've been thinking for Dalinar lately, the guy who plays Drax the Destroyer. He's half Filipino and he has just the right look for Dalinar. You gotta look at him not in his make up for Guardians of the Galaxy. Get a little silvering hair on him. That's my latest casting choice. But I do not have a Kaladin.

grampipon

Considering inside the hardcover Words of Radiance is a giant, extremely high quality, official art of [Shallan], and she totally looks like the northern european stereotype. We might need /u/mistborn for this, because sometimes even official artwork is a mess [with regards to ethnicity].

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, I've had a tough time pushing to get the images to work like I want. (Oathbringer's cover was more successful here.) The problem is that a lot of artists work from models, and it's hard to find appropriate models.

I've let Shallan slide because I know that if the films get made, she's likely to be cast with a Caucasian actress--and am more ready to make a fight over Kaladin, Jasnah, and Dalinar. So I don't particularly mind if people see Shallan as white, for various reasons--the main one being the one that's been brought up in this thread, I believe. The fact that Vedens, Alethi, and Horneaters aren't real Earth races--and can't really be cast with them. Shallan, having all three bloods intermixed, makes for a difficult description--particularly since I know the average reader is going to peg her as Irish in complexion because of the hair.

I would say that it's all right to imagine the characters however you would like, as it's your version of the story in your head. The Whelan art in book two is how I think most people will imagine her, and I'm fine with that--I wish I'd been able to get Kaladin looking a little more right on the book two cover, though I was successful with Jasnah on book three.

Enasor

How would you cast Adolin? He's always been one I struggled to pinpoint too due to his blond hair and his mixed heritage. Blond hair and blue eyes do bring in given imagery which seems to clash with the Alethi racial identity. Or at least, it does to me as a reader. So how would you approach it while remaining faithful to your work?

Brandon Sanderson

I actually think Adolin could be somewhat easier than others.

When we make the movies, I'll probably suggest that we make anyone from Shin, Iri, or Rira (all along the coast there) look Caucasian. The books can handle a lot more of a learning curve, I feel, than the films--and we won't have things like the Interludes to jump over to Iri to explore their culture. So a race of strange, golden-skinned and haired people who ALSO aren't native to Roshar (different from the Caucasians in Shinovar) might just be too odd.

The Rirans, which Adolin comes from, are already a mixed ethnicity themselves--not even Iriali, so it's fine to make them Caucasian. So Adolin could be cast white, if they really want to. Basically, I'm expecting it to be a bit of a fight to get them to cast four of the leads (Kaladin/Dalinar/Jasnah/Navani) as Asian actors. Maybe I'll be wrong, but from what I've heard from actors in Hollywood, directors and studios are hesitant about not being able to cast known names in big roes. (Ignoring the fact that's hard for Asian American actors to become big names if they aren't ever given big roles...)

So, I can imagine allowing them to go with someone Caucasian for Adolin and Shallan, in exchange for pushing the rest of the cast to be how I'd like.

In a perfect world, though, I'd want someone like Dave Bautista for Dalinar--and someone like Alex Landi for Adolin. (Note that I'm not a casting director myself, so I have no idea who could act the role the right way--I'm just judging based on what I've seen of them in the past.)

Badloss

How would you differentiate the "weird" Caucasian Shin eyes from the others in that case?

Would you go for Alita Battle Angel eyes or something to make the Shin distinctive?

Brandon Sanderson

No, I wouldn't do that. In this theoretical land, the Iriali and those around them would also have Shin eyes. That's basically how it is in the text right now. (Drehy, from Bridge Four, for example isn't Shin--but he's mentioned as looking like a person from "Western Roshar" which means Caucasian to them.)

Badloss

Why do people think Szeth's eyes are creepy and "child-like" if Caucasian eyes are more prevalent on Roshar than being a uniquely Shin characteristic? I read it as the eyes being an exotic and strange Shin thing, just like their animals and plants.

Brandon Sanderson

They are exotic and strange. A pure-blooded Shin is a rare sight, and the way I have it now, even westerners like Drehy are mixed breeds. Even then, someone like them would not be something you see often. But at the same time, it might not be as rare as you think. Like encountering an American when in Japan. Something that happens regularly, but they still stand out. And many people from the rural parts of Alethkar would never have seen one.

Not to mention the Animated debate.

Edited by Treamayne
WoB

I think these threads are very old and we should take them up, i.e. these actors have aged considerably. I'm here looking for good actors to live up to these characters and be young. 
But please tell me that Sadie Sink wouldn't make a good Shallan.

54 minutes ago, Cellit said:

But please tell me that Sadie Sink wouldn't make a good Shallan.

Sadie Sink would not make a good Shallan.

Mostly for the same problems as in the WoBs. Hair is right, but skin and eye shape is wrong. I'm not familiar with her roles, so I can't speak to acting chops.

However, I am on the "Stormlight Archive should be animated" side of the discussion. Other Cosmere works may be fine as live-action - but I think Roshar would be difficult-to-impossible to do well live action. It should either not be attempted at all or be animated (but not Anime style, please).

I haven't found anything here

these threads are very old and we should take them up

I was just showing you what you said you didn't find (because they weren't pinned)

Edited by Treamayne
Thread Ref

13 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

However, I am on the "Stormlight Archive should be animated" side of the discussion. Other Cosmere works may be fine as live-action - but I think Roshar would be difficult-to-impossible to do well live action. It should either not be attempted at all or be animated (but not Anime style, please).

I think you're wrong, I don't think "Stormlight Archive should be animated" is the right thing to do, I think that's out of fear that the canon won't be followed to the letter. But isn't an animation too lame? Even if you can't take identical characters (I think it's impossible), we can see which ones fit better, for example Dwayne Johnson as Rock.

23 minutes ago, Cellit said:

I think you're wrong, I don't think "Stormlight Archive should be animated" is the right thing to do, I think that's out of fear that the canon won't be followed to the letter. But isn't an animation too lame? Even if you can't take identical characters (I think it's impossible), we can see which ones fit better, for example Dwayne Johnson as Rock.

It's not a matter of right and wrong; it's about personal preference. You are not wrong to prefer live action - and I am not right to prefer an animated option. Please do not say my opinion is not valid just because I don't agree with you. . .

For me, it's more about the environment than it is the characters. Roshar is so different from Earth (except perhaps Shinovar) that I don't think it can be done well as a live-action project (rockbuds, vines, the way the grass and plants move, fauna, etc.) - without, possibly, making it 100% CGI. But if you are going that far, then why not just do Animated?

Maybe a 100% CGI with the actors done like Golum (actor actually acts with the motion capture - and the character is reskinned in CGI)? The casting would be about acting ability/character compatibility and, possibly, body shape more than skin, eye and hair matching.

35 minutes ago, Cellit said:

But isn't an animation too lame?

I feel offended! I love animation!

I don't watch a lot of movies, so I avoid voicing my opinion on the casting, but Roshar has an Asian-like population, so the only casting I will accept is Asian actors. And I don't like 100% CGI movies, sometimes it's too visible it's CGI.

11 minutes ago, Cellit said:

I didn't mean to imply that yours is a mistake, sorry.

No worries

But still you have never thought about casting? 

Not very much for Stormlight Archive - since it would be more about the voice and characterization if animated. I did consider possibly Christian Kane as Vasher/Zahel, since I felt he could pull off both a Live Action Warbreaker and a voiced Zahel.

1 hour ago, alder24 said:

I don't watch a lot of movies, so I avoid voicing my opinion on the casting, but Roshar has an Asian-like population, so the only casting I will accept is Asian actors. And I don't like 100% CGI movies, sometimes it's too visible it's CGI.

Asian actors are the way to go, except for the Shin, a couple of the Heralds, and arguably worldhoppers, depending on how recognizable you want them to be between movies. It would be preferential to have the same actor portraying Vasher in both Stormlight and Warbreaker for example. 

As for casting choices, I will agree with OP that Sadie Sink would be a great Shallan if she was of matching ethnicity. I generally go with Hailee Steinfeld, but she is starting to become too old for the part. 

Other ideas in no particular order:

*Dave Bautista as Dalinar (pretty sure Brandon himself suggested this once)

*Charles Melton as Elhokar

*Chiwetel Ejiofor as Nale

*Gemma Chan as Jasnah

*Simone Ashley as Shalash

*Hugo Weaving as Ishar

4 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Honesty, with Spren popping up every time someone’s mood changes and Shardblades slicing cleanly through inanimate objects, it feels more like an anime than anything else.  But, that won’t necessarily suit the books’ audience. I enjoy the occasional anime, but my y wife can’t stand them, and I’d prefer to watch with her.

I agree it should be animated though.  It would simply be too SFX reliant otherwise.  Having CGI Spren popping up would be just too distracting.  In an animated feature it would feel better.

48 minutes ago, Elder said:
5 hours ago, Treamayne said:

It should either not be attempted at all or be animated (but not Anime style, please).

Honesty, with Spren popping up every time someone’s mood changes and Shardblades slicing cleanly through inanimate objects, it feels more like an anime than anything else.  But, that won’t necessarily suit the books’ audience. I enjoy the occasional anime, but my y wife can’t stand them, and I’d prefer to watch with her.

To me, there is a difference between "Anime" and "Anime style." For example, Ninja Scroll  is obviously Anime, but not "Anime Style" (sparse detail lines, huge eyes, overwrought emotions, etc.). Maybe it comes from living in Japan for 5 years where the products aren't all lumped under one (Manga) term, but have "genres" just like American fiction, but I try to note the difference when possible because most Americans seem to think that all Manga is the same. 

23 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

To me, there is a difference between "Anime" and "Anime style." For example, Ninja Scroll  is obviously Anime, but not "Anime Style" (sparse detail lines, huge eyes, overwrought emotions, etc.). Maybe it comes from living in Japan for 5 years where the products aren't all lumped under one (Manga) term, but have "genres" just like American fiction, but I try to note the difference when possible because most Americans seem to think that all Manga is the same. 

Fair point.  I’ll admit, the distinction isn’t as clear for me, but I merely dabble.  I can definitely tell there is variety within Japanese animation, even if I don’t understand it.  That said, when you speak of overwrought emotions, Passion, plus the Spren reaction, is integral to this story.  I agree on the detail lines and the eyes (except for maybe Szeth).  

1 minute ago, Elder said:

That said, when you speak of overwrought emotions, Passion, plus the Spren reaction, is integral to this story.

True - but another part of the story is how reserved people are - and usually the spren showing is the primary visual reference of emotional display. Example: (WoR Ch 68)

Spoiler

“You happy,” Adolin said, laughing. “You’ve got a face like a storm! I half think you could frighten off a storm.”

Kaladin grunted.

Adolin laughed again, slapping him on the shoulder, then turned as Shallan finally crossed the bridge, her sketching apparently done. She looked to Adolin fondly, and as he reached out to take her hand, she rose up on her toes and gave him a kiss on the cheek. Adolin drew back, startled. Alethi were more reserved than that in public.

Shallan grinned at him. 

But, when I say "overwrought emotion" I mean something like:

12 hours ago, alder24 said:

¡Me siento ofendido! ¡Me encanta la animación!

No veo muchas películas, así que evito expresar mi opinión sobre el reparto, pero Roshar tiene una población similar a la asiática, por lo que el único reparto que aceptaré es el de actores asiáticos. Y no me gustan las películas 100% CGI, a veces es demasiado visible que es CGI.

I'm not saying that all animations are boring but it seems to me that SA will be. You say that Roshar are all like Asians, but what movies directly take the canon and adapt it as is?

Therefore you could take actors who are not Asian

I like many animation productions (Attack on Titan, One Piece, etc.)

But in my opinion it wouldn't be bad to make a series of movies.

Many movies have a lot of 100% CGI and they are very good, also why do we have to use 100% CGI? If used without abuse it could be a very good movie.
It's my opinion and I respect yours.

12 hours ago, alder24 said:

2 hours ago, Cellit said:

I'm not saying that all animations are boring but it seems to me that SA will be. You say that Roshar are all like Asians, but what movies directly take the canon and adapt it as is?

Therefore you could take actors who are not Asian

I like many animation productions (Attack on Titan, One Piece, etc.)

But in my opinion it wouldn't be bad to make a series of movies.

Many movies have a lot of 100% CGI and they are very good, also why do we have to use 100% CGI? If used without abuse it could be a very good movie.
It's my opinion and I respect yours.

No worry, I respect your opinion. I value faithful adaptations, that's why I have opinion like this. I like them being as close to the source material as possible, while also changing all necessary things to fit well in movie medium. In the world like Roshar, where ethnicity is clearly defined and recognisable, casting multi race actors for the same nationality would just make me lose on immersion, and worldbuilding would lose a lot. That was one of my problem with Wheel of Time.

And for CGI it of course depends on how it's used. In Hobbit trilogy I suffered as there was too many moments when I could see some scene being too much over the top CGI, while in Dune I didn't find any scene standing out like that - both movies are using a lot of CGI. And SA requires a lot of it as well. So I'm just worried that CGI would be standing out too much - it doesn't have to if done right.

I don't think that animated SA will be boring. Both movie formats can end up like this. It's not inherit to animation. Animation in my opinion have opportunity to explore Roshar better than live action, as Roshar is just too alien like, with sprens, emotions, different races, fauna and flora that doesn't resemble Earth at all. Most scenes would have to be done in CGI anyway. So why not make it animated it's just one step further. And animation can still use actors and motion capture.

Unfortunately, I think Brandon confirmed that SA will be in movie format, not as a tv series, so it's gonna lose a lot already. SA would be great as a tv series.