Tress and the Fungus among us

leftsides

I loved TotES. There is one thing in particular I loved the most: aethyrs are fungi!! 

For the non mycologically-aware. Fungi reproduce via spores, which then become mycelium. Think of a mushroom—this is the fruiting body of the mycelium which lives underground. The mushroom exists to spread spores for reproduction, but isn’t the creature itself. Mycelium is incredibly complex organism but is consistently the same organism no matter where it is—like a hive mind. If you see a mushroom in the Forrest, walk a little ways further and see another of the same kind—it’s probably the same creature. And it grows…rapidly…and different kinds are referred to as “strains.” And can spread over great distances. They typically fruit after a rain :)

They’re also thought to be the first organisms to colonize the planet…which in the Cosmere would mean…

Spoiler

they predate the Shattering

While I am having fun imagining 12 giant mushrooms as moons, it makes sense that there are 12 fungi farms that are dropping their spores onto the planet. 
I have attended a Humongous Fungus Fest in Michigan, that fungus stretches across 37 acres, weighs in at 21,000 lbs., and is around 1,500 years old. I know there are larger ones out there, so a planet/moon covered in a fungi farm is very feasible. 

Just now, leftsides said:

All of them I think. Pretty much all water dependent life will die if there’s too much salt…osmosis will cause dehydration.

Well, yes, but are there any that will die when exposed to the low amounts of salt that the spores do?

Spores IRL are super tiny, not microscopic, but very very small. So yes, a very small amount of salt would dehydrate it enough to kill it. Same with bacteria, high saline solution outside of the bacterial cell wall will cause water to leave the bacteria killing it. The bigger the thing, the more salt would be needed

• 2 months later...

Maybe the moons have been REALLY overgrown?

On 1/19/2023 at 8:48 PM, FollowYourMuse said:

While I am having fun imagining 12 giant mushrooms as moons, it makes sense that there are 12 fungi farms that are dropping their spores onto the planet. 
I have attended a Humongous Fungus Fest in Michigan, that fungus stretches across 37 acres, weighs in at 21,000 lbs., and is around 1,500 years old. I know there are larger ones out there, so a planet/moon covered in a fungi farm is very feasible. 

Maybe the planet originally had a few small moons that were overgrown?