New to the Forums

The cheeseman

Good evening!

I've been reading Sanderson books for a while now, and decided it was time to join this community, where I can ask questions and theorize about the wonders of the Cosmere!

I have only read a few Sanderson novels; Stormlight 1-4, Edgedancer, and Mistborn: TFE. Obviously I need to finish Mistborn Era 1, but what should I read next? Elantris? Warbreaker?

Life before Death, Radiant

47 minutes ago, phillycheesesteak said:

Good evening!

I've been reading Sanderson books for a while now, and decided it was time to join this community, where I can ask questions and theorize about the wonders of the Cosmere!

I have only read a few Sanderson novels; Stormlight 1-4, Edgedancer, and Mistborn: TFE. Obviously I need to finish Mistborn Era 1, but what should I read next? Elantris? Warbreaker?

Awesome, welcome to the shard! I would reccomend reading Warbreaker next,(aside from being one of my personal favorites) it also has some fairly important crossovers in stormlight.

19 hours ago, Witless of Shinovar said:

Awesome, welcome to the shard! I would reccomend reading Warbreaker next,(aside from being one of my personal favorites) it also has some fairly important crossovers in stormlight.

I've noticed that Wit has capital-b Breaths, so I looked those up and found out there's a bunch of people from Nalthis on Roshar. So I may have spoiled some of Warbreaker for myself.

Spoiler

Tangent: since Nightblood chipped an Honorblade, what would happen if Szeth crossed swords with a Shardbearer/Knight Radiant? I'm assuming Nightblood would kill the spren permanently.

Edited by phillycheesesteak
Hid a possible spoiler

2 minutes ago, phillycheesesteak said:

I've noticed that Wit has capital-b Breaths, so I looked those up and found out there's a bunch of people from Nalthis on Roshar. So I may have spoiled some of Warbreaker for myself.

Tangent: since Nightblood chipped an Honorblade, what would happen if Szeth crossed swords with a Shardbearer/Knight Radiant? I'm assuming Nightblood would kill the spren permanently.

This is an excellent question, and would be more eloquently stated by a more knowledgeable cosmere fan.

Spoiler

but I am pretty sure that if Nightblood were able to actually touch the spren, it would just absorb the spren completely because spren are sapient bits of investiture and Nightblood consumes investiture.

Just for future reference, put theories in the theory section or something, it just makes it less easy for people to stumble upon spoilers:)

1 hour ago, Witless of Shinovar said:

I agree with @Witless of Shinovar. Both are great, but if you're familiar with Roshar, Nalthis is the perfect next stop! 

Welcome! Both are great books, though I personally prefer Elantris. For some reason none of the POV characters in Warbreaker really clicked for me.

In case you like ebooks, Warbreaker and its early drafts are (legally) available for free on Brandon's website. https://www.brandonsanderson.com/standalones-cosmere/#WARBREAKER

Edited by Robin Sedai

Welcome!! Being in the Shard is a very fun time and I hope you enjoy it!

On 1/17/2023 at 7:49 PM, phillycheesesteak said:

I’d agree with the above people, Warbreaker is a perfect next book AND it’s free, so you can’t do much better than that. 

After that I’d go Elantris then explore the rest of the Cosmere however you desire! You’ve joined the fandom at a great time. 

Edited by Cash67
Grammar