12 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Get the cops to evacuate half of it. Maybe more. Cut down the possibilities."

11 hours ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

"Good. Is this acceptable?"

@Mystic Syn

She brought her hand up to her lips, tilting her head from side to side. “More people on our side certainly would help us, even if they might not be of much help except at death fodder. I have nothing against that,” Kasha thought aloud. “Even if the police were to evacuate half or more of the alleys, we have no guarantee that they won’t strike in people’s homes, since there have been reports of people found murdered in their homes in the same exact way as those in alleys; besides, we also have no guarantee that people will stay out of those alleys.”

3 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

What are the limitations of the Author Talent?

Authors have to be incredibly specific about what they want, like they can’t just say a bottle of lotion without specifying which brand, type (since there’s hand, body, and however many other lotions that idk or care about), so on so forth; if they memorize the way the object looks and their function, the Author wouldn’t have to give those incredibly specific instructions of bringing them into reality. The things that they write into existence has to be a physical object and can’t change reality or create human life/sentience, and usually they are the size of the page they write on and where their Creativity is tied to (e.g., a small journal would produce smaller objects while relatively larger journal will produce larger objects).

Does that make sense??

5 minutes ago, Mystic Syn said:

She brought her hand up to her lips, tilting her head from side to side. “More people on our side certainly would help us, even if they might not be of much help except at death fodder. I have nothing against that,” Kasha thought aloud. “Even if the police were to evacuate half or more of the alleys, we have no guarantee that they won’t strike in people’s homes, since there have been reports of people found murdered in their homes in the same exact way as those in alleys; besides, we also have no guarantee that people will stay out of those alleys.”

"Wonderful. So the plan is to walk around and hope we get lucky, then?"

8 minutes ago, Mystic Syn said:

Authors have to be incredibly specific about what they want, like they can’t just say a bottle of lotion without specifying which brand, type (since there’s hand, body, and however many other lotions that idk or care about), so on so forth; if they memorize the way the object looks and their function, the Author wouldn’t have to give those incredibly specific instructions of bringing them into reality

My interpretation is that bringing something into reality requires a verbal description and a mental picture. (A verbal description alone would never be enough; it's impossible to describe something in perfect detail.) The more resolution the mental image has, the less the verbal description has to have.

12 minutes ago, Mystic Syn said:

The things that they write into existence has to be a physical object and can’t change reality or create human life/sentience

What if the author is a portal fantasy writer though :unsure:

Like a kid who writes a lot about fantastical other worlds and wants to write a portal fantasy into existence. Could he open a door into an imaginary pocket dimension? Gosh dang it I really want this to work

16 minutes ago, Mystic Syn said:

usually they are the size of the page they write on and where their Creativity is tied to (e.g., a small journal would produce smaller objects while relatively larger journal will produce larger objects).

Does that make sense??

That... does not make sense. :P Instinctively I feel like the size of the journal shouldn't matter. A story is a story whether in large or small print, after all. And the description of the Author power mentioned oral storytelling, so how would that even work?

12 minutes ago, Mystic Syn said:

"Death fodder? That is what I will be?" The man paused, thinking. "Well, I suppose it seems I have little life now anyway."

42 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

My interpretation is that bringing something into reality requires a verbal description and a mental picture. (A verbal description alone would never be enough; it's impossible to describe something in perfect detail.) The more resolution the mental image has, the less the verbal description has to have.

Yeah! Exactly like that. I don't think I described it like that, but I that was what I was trying to say.

43 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

What if the author is a portal fantasy writer though :unsure:

Like a kid who writes a lot about fantastical other worlds and wants to write a portal fantasy into existence. Could he open a door into an imaginary pocket dimension? Gosh dang it I really want this to work

Well, let me ask you this: Is it an object? It is something physical that you can touch and hold? If not, then no, he cannot; if this were Zvso, though, a Transporter would do the job a-okay, but not in Huyat.

An Author if they were a fantasy writer could bring their ideas into existence if they follow the rules that you described above that I failed to fully communicate; whether or not it will be useful and actually work is another thing. Like if they had the idea of a sword that's also a gun, they would have to study it out in their mind and figure out its function and how it properly works (how they do it is completely up to them), then they could bring it into existence. They just can't make their own dimension, since it's not technically an object.

46 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

That... does not make sense. :P Instinctively I feel like the size of the journal shouldn't matter. A story is a story whether in large or small print, after all. And the description of the Author power mentioned oral storytelling, so how would that even work?

Well, yes: A story is a story no matter how big the book is; however, Authors bring objects into reality through the books by (for example) tearing a page out where that page will turn into the desired object, like a small page for a mug; I don't think that people just casually carry around Mary Poppin Bags™ full of airplanes is what I'm trying to get at. The journals or books are a way to channel that energy or it would be all over the place and Kasjadu would've ended within the its first year after being created.

I also almost forgot about oral storytelling, so thank you for reminding me: The idea behind that is that usually, an Author will carry around their source of Creativity (like a journal to write out thoughts) and that when they are using their Creativity through the spoken word, they will tear a page out (or something along those lines) as it turns into the object they require it to be. Some of the Authors that do this are poets, and that's how they do that. Either way you slice it, it has to be tied with their source of Creativity to work.

Does that make sense?? Maybe I'm just bad at explaining things lolll. In other words, these Authors are most likely not the authors/narrators you're thinking of in the CBST context.

1 hour ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Wonderful. So the plan is to walk around and hope we get lucky, then?"

46 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

"Death fodder? That is what I will be?" The man paused, thinking. "Well, I suppose it seems I have little life now anyway."

"No, there's a pattern to this; I'm just not seeing it." Kasha bit her finger a little bit, then just smiled. "I'm sure we'll figure it out, like we can figure out what what's-his-face can do over here."

21 minutes ago, Mystic Syn said:

"No, there's a pattern to this; I'm just not seeing it." Kasha bit her finger a little bit, then just smiled. "I'm sure we'll figure it out, like we can figure out what what's-his-face can do over here."

19 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"What is your name anyways?"

"I do not know."

Edited by The Aspiring Archivist

26 minutes ago, Mystic Syn said:

*looks at character sheet* Well darn. *crumples character sheet* *pulls out backup character sheet* How about Scholars? What limits exist on their powers?

Name: Riki

Pronouns: She/her (bio girl)

Nationality: Her mother was an Eastern Ikuyoian, her father a Western Ikuyoian.

Appearance: Blue eyes with gold flecks, short dark brown hair, light brown scaly skin, long, sharp canines. She's a little taller than most people, and always wears some type of long cloak, collecting them almost like a wealthy noblewoman collects jewelry. She uses her Talent and cloaks to conceal her horns and wings. Her horns are a little less than a handspan long and are an almost glossy black.

Personality: Very bubbly. Loves to laugh. She's a tomboy, and doesn't trust the city guards.

Talent and Type: Deceptive - Trickster

Backstory (optional): She was born with wings, but was not sent to the Capitol for protection because she also had horns. Instead, she was exiled. She grew up begging and stealing on the streets of Validus.

Misc: She's naturally good at singing, and sometimes hums or sings snatches of the songs running through her head. She mostly fights with knives, but if you searched her you wouldn't find more than three of them.

7 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

*looks at character sheet* Well darn. *crumples character sheet* *pulls out backup character sheet* How about Scholars? What limits exist on their powers?

For Scholars, they can only boost their learning capacity for a short amount of time (like compared to regular times of study, like an hour or so) in the places where they get their Knowledge, like libraries or certain books they may have attached themselves to. Scholars usually have one subject they put their most amount of study in; but there have been and are some Scholars that do studies in multiple subjects, though it has not been good on their sanity and is recommended that Scholars should choose one field of study.. but I ain't stopping you from trying to do multiple. If you're a teacher that's also a Scholar, you could use your Knowledge to help people understand the material you're teaching.

Downside to that would be that the Knowledge that they have is dependent on their energy levels, like physical energy.. like how it is in the real world, but magicified lollll.

I dunno. Not a whole lot besides that.

Kinda make sense??

3 hours ago, Tani said:

This character looks good :)) At first, I was hesitant about the wings, but then I realized how spicy the rp would be if we had that character, so you got the a-okay.

7 hours ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

"Right. And the woman with the cane?"

She stuck her cane in the ground, raising a hand to shake. "Name's Kasha," she said with a smile. "Pleasure to meet and work with you, Mister Iduno."

Just now, Mystic Syn said:

She stuck her cane in the ground, raising a hand to shake. "Name's Kasha," she said with a smile. "Pleasure to meet and work with you, Mister Iduno."

"Pleasure." He ran his hands through his hair again. "Why does this feel odd?"

39 minutes ago, Mystic Syn said:

"I dunno." Kasha shrugged. "Validus always had a weird feel to it, not to mention what sorta gang activity that goes on and now the factor–– wait, you meant your hair, did you?"

"Yes, I did. Do either of you know anything about it?"

@Mystic Syn @Channelknight Fadran

Edited by The Aspiring Archivist
questions are cool