Cool aviar power ideas

Exotic Almond

From this WOB, they are going to lean toward Cognitive Realm Stuff, and in general they are low-powered magics unlike the main Shardworlds that have more Investiture available/involved.  So I think any of the internal Sensory magic effects would be viable, from basic senses to Life Sense to Seekers to Allomantic Gold, probably even Death Rattles too.  You wont get the high-Power effects that would need more than a person's natural (feruchemical level) effects like Soulcasting or Elsecalling or time bubbles, I think, but you might get some weak Healing.  Perfect memory, something akin to Copperminds or the Lightweaver memory trick.  Mated birds that are Connected and can act like Spanreeds.  Maybe one that Connects you to the locale enough to get the language.

PrinceDusty

You've talked about some of the correlation between Aviar abilities and Allomantic abilities. Are there any Aviar abilities that are not related to Allomancy, or what are some other abilities that we might see?

Brandon Sanderson

I'll RAFO that, mostly because I want to be free to pick and choose from my list as I canonize them. A lot of Aviar abilities are Cognitive type stuff, just from the way I built them so I can separate the magics. The whole Seeker/coppercloud thing, a lot of Aviar abilities are going to be riffs on that, or they're going to be riffs on glimpsing the Spiritual a little bit. And you see a lot of that in Allomancy. There are abilities that they have that you won't see in Allomancy.

The trick is Allomany is so broad. I built the main magic systems to be able to get a little bit of everything. You see the same thing in Stormlight. So seeing Aviar abilities that you haven't seen some version of it in Mistborn or Stormlight, it's going to be... Mistborn and Stormlight touch on all different parts of the magic system on purpose. But I think you will eventually see some that don't. But they're all going to work on the Cosmere magic, so you can say they're all related.

PrinceDusty

Where might we see them?

Brandon Sanderson

Aviar are known in the Cosmere but are very, very rare. But as you move forward in the future, perhaps you'll see them more often.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

Kolgril Also (Stormlight Archive Spoiler)

Spoiler

We know that Aviar abilities are related to the Fish in the Purelake

Kogiopsis

Are there any parallels between the fish in the Purelake and the Aviar in Sixth of the Dusk?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Such as Kolgril or Stumpy Cort

So it is likely that there is an Aviar allow you to track or find things/people/animals.

5 hours ago, Quantus said:

I think, but you might get some weak Healing

Or if not healing, then maybe something like alleviating discomfort and pain (SA and Mistborn Spoilers)

Spoiler

Like a Painrial removes pain, or like a Thug burning pewter to ignore wounds

• 6 months later...
11 hours ago, Mistbornfan said:

My idea was an Avair that makes you lucky 

Luck isn't really a Cosmere thing. And there is already an Aviar that "makes you lucky" - the one showing you the future. It uses Fortune, which is a Cosmere phenomena, responsible for things you may call luck and future visions.

8 hours ago, Lightweaver2 said:

What about an aviar that increases Connection?

What Connection? The bond between Aviar and a person is a Connection. And Aviars are bonded with parasites acquired from fruits, that's another Connection. What Connection could they increase?

Aviars seem to have a more passive effect, not something a person can manipulate or change. Kokerlii always conceals people's mental activity and Sak always shows a deadly future (as long as they are with Dusk). Dusk had no saying in regards to their powers. So you would have to make that Connection increase passive, always working. It might work in a way that you get Connection increased to everything and everyone in a certain area around you. Would it be useful? Maybe. Or maybe more useful, an Aviar that Connects you to the land you're in, allowing you to speak the native language fluently. That's useful and certainly possible. 

4 hours ago, alder24 said:

It might work in a way that you get Connection increased to everything and everyone in a certain area around you. Would it be useful? Maybe. Or maybe more useful, an Aviar that Connects you to the land you're in, allowing you to speak the native language fluently. That's useful and certainly possible. 

These were kind of what I was thinking, thanks.

Maybe an aviar that increases your sense?

16 hours ago, alder24 said:

What Connection? The bond between Aviar and a person is a Connection. And Aviars are bonded with parasites acquired from fruits, that's another Connection. What Connection could they increase?

Maybe a pair of aviar that connect the two people who have them? Not sure how useful that would be though. Although, maybe there are some aviar that just aren't very useful, just like (minor Mistborn spoilers)

Spoiler

aluminum and duralumin mistings

5 hours ago, The Sibling said:

Maybe an aviar that increases your sense?

Totally possible.

Mistborn spoiler:

Spoiler

There likely could be an Aviar for every Feruchemical attribute, and most Allomantic powers. A-copper already is an Avair, A-brass/A-zinc can be done to, an Aviar that generates an area of general soothing or rioting. An Aviar for A-bronze, either only the bird feels it and warns by making noises, or both the bird and its person can sense. 

What Sak does is basically A-Atium:

Spoiler

Sam Hock

Is there a connection between Sak's talent and Allomantic electrum? If so, what is it?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Reading a person's spiritual connections and possibilities. Similar powers, as is atium.

General Twitter 2015 (April 17, 2015)

5 hours ago, The Sibling said:

Maybe a pair of aviar that connect the two people who have them? Not sure how useful that would be though. Although, maybe there are some aviar that just aren't very useful, just like

I'm not sure about the first one but Aviars having not useful powers seems likely. With connection, there could be an Aviar who dampens connections to people around you, to make you unnoticeable by them, Mistborn Spoilers:

Spoiler

Feruchemical duralumin works.