17S MC server

6 minutes ago, CalanoCorvus said:

we should try and recruit some big big bois who have moneys and can be admins and moderators for the server.

i think a survival multiplayer server for the shard, a whole big endeavor (if it hasn't been done yet) would be absolutely legendary.

Yes I agree. There are many options for literally any budget.

Edited by SandersonFan123

i’ve considered something like this before

if there’s enough interest i could definitely help set it up

im good at plugins and stuff so i could definitely be useful

might be able to host it myself too, but using a service would probably be more stable

i think there’d have to be at least a small paywall, like each person who wants to join pays 1$ to cover server costs

a paywall makes sense, cause it keeps the server running, but it also depends on how frequently, and how long, you intend to play for.

like, how often you'll be getting on per week, in hours, as well as how long you think you'll stick to that schedule, in months, and how frequently said schedule might change, influences how much you pay.

maybe. just a suggestion :3

28 minutes ago, MangoBoi101 said:

ooh having a modded server would be so cool, Can you make it so that either version can join like a bedrock and java server? I know thats possible but I dont know anything about that. 

that's mayyyybe possible, but it removes the possibility of most other plugins, as the mod that does that isn't compatible with most other mods.

and tbh i don't see the point, because you still wouldn't be able to join on console bedrock, those are approved servers only no matter what. so i could make it computer-bedrock / java compatible, but Java and Bedrock come together on computers now, so if you have bedrock on PC, you have Java on PC, so might as well use java. 

19 minutes ago, CalanoCorvus said:

a paywall makes sense, cause it keeps the server running, but it also depends on how frequently, and how long, you intend to play for.

Depends on the server package we use i think

like, say we have a 20 dollar / month upkeep cost, and 5 players, that's 4$ a person a month.

and then at the start of each month that cost would change depending on how many players are active.

I'd probably do a flat fee for new incoming players, something small, and then every month I can see who the most active players are and maybe do a survey to see who plans on playing for the next month etc etc etc. I doubt it would be too hard to keep track of and keep fair. 

1 minute ago, MangoBoi101 said:

what other mods would we install tho? I cant think of anything except maybe different texture packs.

Well, a public server will need a few base things right off the bat, like a safe zone at spawn, whitelist and moderator functionality, random teleportation from that spawn, messaging features, chat reporting protection, and that's without even affecting gameplay at all.

there's also land claiming, map making, custom loot tables, trading systems, market systems, all sorta things that most public SMP servers have.

ok ya I guess theirs a bit of mods we could add but are we assuming this is going to be pvp based?

if it is I sugest no land claiming cause thats the worst with pvp enalbled costom loot would be so cool especielly if we based it off of Roshar and scadrial and maybe some other BS works as well, I get excited just imagining a Shard Plate armor and weapons. I do not know much about that stuff tho so Im not sure how feasible that would be

if its not pvp based then we would prob need an easier way to get some base resources possibly by haveing a map you can see before joining im thinking it would be hermitcraft style (if youve heard of that server).

9 minutes ago, MangoBoi101 said:

ok whats the max for oracle do you know?

I’ve played on an oracle server and it was a little laggy with like six to eight people on at once if I remember correctly.

Edited by UnfortunatelyNamed