Infinity Blade: Awakening

Necronos

I can't seem to find any thread about Infinity Blade: Awakening so I figured that I would start one. I know that it is a novella and not technically a short story, so hopefully I can be forgiven posting it here.

I'm not sure if this is a spoiler free zone so I'll refrain for posting spoilers until I know better.

Having never played the game that this story is based upon (buying it only because Brandon wrote it), I found the novella easily to get into and enjoyable to read. It certainly had a lot of interesting concepts that it played with. Since I don't know what came from the game and what Brandon created, I'm just going to attribute it all to Brandon! The fight scenes were tight and the pacing was great. The characters introduced were good, well fleshed out with hints of deepness.

Typical of Brandon's 'there is always another mystery' approach, the novella had a few interesting revelations at the end that left me wanted more. If there is another novella in this 'series' then I'll be happy to read it too...

Never played the game, because I dont own an ipod or ipad, or smart phone of that sort. I liked the story, and would buy another one, but my issue is that I dont want to spend the money on a game like that which because it is for an smart phone probably isnt the highest quality, when I have skyrim and starcraft2.

Huh. This thread makes me want to get an iPad, for no other reason than so I can be the only person in the 17th Shard who actually played Infinity Blade.

How are you all even reading it? I thought it was only available on the iPhone/Pad?

it's a short story Brandon wrote and published in e-format.

You can buy it on Kindle, which is where I read it.

Maybe if I get some iTunes gift cards for Christmas I'll buy the game for my iPhone...

• 1 month later...

Huh. This thread makes me want to get an iPad, for no other reason than so I can be the only person in the 17th Shard who actually played Infinity Blade.

How are you all even reading it? I thought it was only available on the iPhone/Pad?

That honor appears to belong to me. TTTTHHHHHPPPPBBBB! :P

I never would have played Infinity Blade had this not been written, which would have been a shame. It's apparently stupid at first, but then is sucks you in. The ebook adds a ridiculous amount of depth to the storyline, of which there is but little in the game itself.

I use Google Chrome's MagicScroll eBook Reader app, or you can use a free program called Calibre to convert from .ePub to .pdf.

Edited by Kurkistan

• 4 weeks later...

I started reading it, and then stopped as the fiction appears to assume you've fully beaten the game (the game has multiple paths/endings, of which I've only seen two).

It's a damnation fun game, easily the best-looking game you'll find on iOS. The gameplay is actually very reminiscent of the classic "Punch-Out!", where you essentially stand in one place and you either dodge, block or attack... there's a few other options, like parries and magic and such, but the basic gameplay is from the same school.

It's definitely worth checking out if you have an iOS device capable of running it. I had actually bought it a year ago, and only after purchasing it did I learn I couldn't run it on my 2nd-generation iPod Touch (you need a 3rd or 4th-gen Touch). My wife got me an iPad a few weeks back, and I was finally able to load the app and play it, and since then it's been my go-to game of choice.

I'll go back to reading the novella, but I'd like to see if I can get down into some of the parts that the fiction discusses but which I didn't yet experience. And then after I read the book, I reckon I'll buy the second game. Which was, after all, the whole point of getting Brandon to write it in the first place.

:D

Edited by Inkthinker

• 2 months later...

Never played the game, because I dont own an ipod or ipad, or smart phone of that sort. I liked the story, and would buy another one, but my issue is that I dont want to spend the money on a game like that which because it is for an smart phone probably isnt the highest quality, when I have skyrim and starcraft2.

I own both Infinity Blade and IB2 and playing them on the new iPad's retina display or the iPhone 4 or 4s is amazing the graphics are better then you think. they're Game Console graphics but I only own a 3Gs so the graphics are dumbed down on it otherwise it can't handle it but to play it on the new iPad is well worth it though.

• 5 months later...

Since I'm not a gamer, I came to Inifinity Blade as a fan of Brandon's writing. I enjoyed the story and saw in it "shades" of what I'd already read in The Way of Kings previously (with regard to the sword particularly) and wondered if the two themes might have some connection. This is the first time I've posited this curiosity so I haven't asked the obvious. In other words, is there any remote connection with Infinity Blade and The Stormlight Archive aside from loose reference to specific swords?

• 10 months later...

I've never played the games; I didn't own an i-product when the novella came out. But now I have one, so perhaps I should go purchase and play them.

With that said, I didn't find it at all difficult to read the novella (Awakening). I still have plenty of questions about some off the terminology, but that's just Brandon's way of telling stories. He's good at keeping somethings mysterious while also portraying them in a way that we can mostly understand.

Can't wait to read Infinity Blade: Redemption!

• 1 month later...

For those who are looking for a guide to the storyline of the games, I wrote one up a little while ago for the Tumblr Cosmere fandom. The games and the novellas present a continuous storyline, so while you may be able to get into Awakening without playing the first game, it's a LOT harder to understand Redemption without playing the second I think!

So, for those wanting to see what the games are like and what their storyline is (along with links to videos of plot-critical scenes), you can check that out here:

http://featherwriter.tumblr.com/post/62660317005/feathers-guide-to-infinity-blade-and-why-you-should